[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

@yehia,

if you know the process and can write a vanilla guide i would be willing to try if it would help resolve any issues. just tell me what i would need to post to be of help. i don't know too many mac terminal commands i'm more familiar with the linux terminal although i'm in no way an expert on one, just experienced. or pm me and then i can post positive or negatives on the topic.

hi Jason Adams

just wait we are working for that, mamoth will release a very good guide soon but when everything is stable and working fine

thanks

شكرا لك لقد كان المشكل من الجافا نصبتها كما قلت

والملف في المرفقت اخي

شكرا لك اخي

لقد اتفقت مع باقي الاعضاء علي انك ستواصل معهم باللغة الانجليزية

والباقي سيكون بالرسائل الخاصة معي , اذا لم تفهم شي منهم او هناك اي مشكلة في الترجمة

شكرا لك انت

@ NIXin

finally haber posted his DSDT, hope you can take a look

First of all thank you for your guide, i installed 10.6.3 from iAKTOS and then updated to 10.6.5 using ur guide and other post. but now my USB mouse, Touch pad move cursor but i am unable to type, on keyboard & usb keyboard i am able to turn caps on of (at least) but can't type, but all of these work fine in safe mode, any suggestions ? :wacko:

a few thing which might help, when not using -x i get following warning/errors

1. AppleUSBEHCI[0x60d5000]: unable to get filterInterruptEventSource
  2. AppleUSBEHCI[0x60d5000]: UMIIntitialize - Error occurred (0xe00002be)
  3. AppleUSBEHCI[0x60d5000]: start unable to initialize UIM
  4. same 3 for an other address
  5. Bug: launchctl.c:3557 (23930):17: ioctl(s6, SIOCAIFADDR_IN6, &ifra6) != -1
  6. USBF: 5.933 AppleUSBUHCI[0x64d1000]: unable to initialize UIM
  7. same for another value
  8. Refusing new kext com.apple.iokit.IOUSB v3.7.0: already have loaded v4.9.6.

:)

@mammoth

i was just wondering how vanilla do you plan to make our installs? i mean will we using voodoo and all? i would love a vanilla install! jus wanted to know how things re coming along your way!

Hey there KiD Kun,

Technically, we will never be vanilla on our machines, due to the non-standard Insyde BIOS of our machines.

If things go as I intend, we will not have to use any Voodoo kexts to get things working.

ChamExtUp works flawlessly now; so there is no need to put anything in /S/L/E/. So on that front, we will be vanilla.

I will have an official update soon for everyone; as it is, I'm burning the midnight oil trying to get everything working and solid.

This isn't my official update, but a quick update.

Right now I'm running with NO Voodoo anything, I've solved the problem with the pauses during installation, Geegbench up from 5500 range to 6600 (thanks to NIXin, and Taptun!).... I'm tired now and need sleep, so can't think, but every file on Cham has been updated including most of the kexts. I've been doing a lot of research and testing, and working on more than I can go over right now, but this will be a major leap forward from the previous releases. The big accomplishment at the moment is the work on the Installation CD, which after today, if finally going well. ;)

I won't be referring to the new CD as a "boot" CD anymore, as too many people tried to use it on incompatible machines thinking it was a "one size fits all", which just wastes their time, causes frustration, and adds to spurious posts in the thread. So it's an Installation CD for HP specific laptops. However, it WILL be compatible with more machines or there may be separate CD's for different machines. If I can do it with one for all machines, great; but, if I can't, then maybe there will be something like an i3, i5, and i7 version of the CD that will work for most machines.

I got A LOT accomplished on the Installation CD BETA today. So soon I will be looking for a few good testers. The test will be simple, there won't be any guides; it will just be testing the CD to see if you can boot and do a base install. I will just be looking to see if we can get it working on the current machines that had problems with previous versions.

On another note, let me just say that TRON Legacy (IMHO) is amazing! I do think you have to be a fan, or at least able to have seen and appreciate the original TRON movie, to really have the full experience with the new one. I've seen it 3 times now, twice in IMAX 3D, and I'm going again. you MUST see this movie in IMAX 3D. It's truly a once in a lifetime opportunity. The imagery, the music, the story... everything about it is powerful and captivating. It's no surprise why it's the #1 movie in America right now.

That's, my update, now I REALLY need sleep!

@Mammoth

That is nice and amazing to hear:-)!! finally the cd is doing well. really looking forward to this release. And my HP has a Core2duo! So i hope the DV5 disc has Core2Duo support! hope it works!

mammoth,

just wanted to say super kudos for all the hard work you are doing on making a better hack for our hp's. i know what it's like staying up way too much cause you're focused on trying to get something accomplished. looking forward to the v1.20 disc, i saw you posted your geekbench score increased over 1000 point since i get about the same score you were getting im really looking forward to a performance boost. ;):D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

This isn't my official update, but a quick update.

Right now I'm running with NO Voodoo anything, I've solved the problem with the pauses during installation, Geegbench up from 5500 range to 6600 (thanks to NIXin, and Taptun!).... I'm tired now and need sleep, so can't think, but every file on Cham has been updated including most of the kexts. I've been doing a lot of research and testing, and working on more than I can go over right now, but this will be a major leap forward from the previous releases. The big accomplishment at the moment is the work on the Installation CD, which after today, if finally going well. :)

I won't be referring to the new CD as a "boot" CD anymore, as too many people tried to use it on incompatible machines thinking it was a "one size fits all", which just wastes their time, causes frustration, and adds to spurious posts in the thread. So it's an Installation CD for HP specific laptops. However, it WILL be compatible with more machines or there may be separate CD's for different machines. If I can do it with one for all machines, great; but, if I can't, then maybe there will be something like an i3, i5, and i7 version of the CD that will work for most machines.

I got A LOT accomplished on the Installation CD BETA today. So soon I will be looking for a few good testers. The test will be simple, there won't be any guides; it will just be testing the CD to see if you can boot and do a base install. I will just be looking to see if we can get it working on the current machines that had problems with previous versions.

On another note, let me just say that TRON Legacy (IMHO) is amazing! I do think you have to be a fan, or at least able to have seen and appreciate the original TRON movie, to really have the full experience with the new one. I've seen it 3 times now, twice in IMAX 3D, and I'm going again. you MUST see this movie in IMAX 3D. It's truly a once in a lifetime opportunity. The imagery, the music, the story... everything about it is powerful and captivating. It's no surprise why it's the #1 movie in America right now.

That's, my update, now I REALLY need sleep!

Mammoth:

My good old friend!!! I'm very much alive and still have my dv8t-1200 that I bought in August. I'm silently watching this thread and these days I'm out of touch as my primary interest is Windows Phone 7 development. But anyways, I will soon get the 1.20 disc as soon as it is available. As always, brilliant work all of you guys and especially Mammoth for bringing this into reality.

MacMan50

Technically, we will never be vanilla on our machines, due to the non-standard Insyde BIOS of our machines.

Have you tried this boot file?

This boot file developed by Pcj used with RC5 will load VANILLA kernel

and kernel and system must match version otherwise black screen

boot.zip

Mammoth:

My good old friend!!! I'm very much alive and still have my dv8t-1200 that I bought in August. I'm silently watching this thread and these days I'm out of touch as my primary interest is Windows Phone 7 development. But anyways, I will soon get the 1.20 disc as soon as it is available. As always, brilliant work all of you guys and especially Mammoth for bringing this into reality.

MacMan50

Hey, great to hear from you MacMan50! :D

I wondered what happened to you, but very glad to hear you are well, and still at it when you can.

Talk to you more soon.

Hi mammoth!

Great Topic ^^

I am planning to format my disc and reinstall windows 7 with snow leopard using this tutorial, do you think it wil lwork correctly on my laptop ?

Best regards

When ready, it should. The only challenge for you may be your ATI GPU.

Really? :D

Do you know if it supports 64-bit and is there a "cdboot" version as well?

I will give it a try and report back my findings. Thanks for the share!

Hey everyone,

I could use some help resolving a problem I can seem to solve:

On my DV8, ChamExtUp works beautifully (as it should be for you too). I can add, remove, change kept files in /C/E/E/, run ChamExtUp, reboot and everything works perfectly.

I have, and for some time now, tried to implement ChamExtUp on my desktop machines, but it WILL NOT WORK. So I'm looking for some help to make it work on other machines.

There seems to be some permission issues that are preventing it from working. On my desktop Cham drive, I am UNABLE to change the user to root on any files. I can easily change then on files on other partitions, but not on Cham for some reason. I have compared desktop Cham to DV8 Cham, and they are the same: Mac OS Extended (Journaled), Writable, Owners Enabled = no (all other parameters "Yes"). The only difference (and maybe this is the problem but I wouldn't know why) is that the DVxs are Connection Bus SATA and both of my desktops are "SCSI". Both of my desktop machines are hardware RAID. Again, I don't think the SCSI / RAID has anything to do with it because I can change the owner on the OSX1 drive, which is also SCSI/ RAID; however, a difference is that the Cham drive is bootable / system.

Please let me know if any of you have had any success using Cham and ChamExtUp on other machines, or if you might be able to help figure this issue out.

Thanks!

Really? :D

Do you know if it supports 64-bit and is there a "cdboot" version as well?

I will give it a try and report back my findings. Thanks for the share!

Yes 64-bit supported

I'm not sure about cdboot, I've used 8GB USB drive to install, install RC5 to USB then replace boot with Pcj's boot and install from USB

If CPU is too old (before Core), then /E/E/NullPowerManagement is required

Mammoth, to your ChamExtUp, have you tried install AppleJack, then reboot the system, then at Chameleon type

-s

(mean single mode)

and start AppleJack it will fix permission / fix errors

hi NIXin,

thanks for your hp beta 1.0 file!

I applied your patches and it's a bit better than before in my system!

Please let us know when you update some patches in our dsdt. I would really love to have :

- SMC keys for battery

- proper powermanagement to enable autosleep without any script,

- apple powermanagement and battery without any additional kexts

- no pops on applehda audio.

Thanks!

Mal

The automatic sleep is a Mac OS X issue, not really anything we can do about it.

TSSTCorp DVD drive is causing this problem.

Apparently, putting a CD inside will enable the sleep to work properly.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...5&tstart=15

Fix is here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182535

---------------------------

EDIT:

Behold! The 1.0 beta version of my DSDT patcher for DV6 and DV8 (possibly also DV7):

Significant changes:

- Native backlight working

- HDMI audio working (needs testing, who has a HDMI cable and TV to try?)

- Native power management for the graphics card (should lower the temperatures)

You need to put this .kext to /E/E in order for the backlight slider to work. Thanks to ivik for making this possible and helping me debug the problem.

To change the brightness by keyboard use: Fn+Insert and Fn+Page Up. This can be fixed by installing a modified version of VoodooPS2. If you feel like testing, go here and test the VoodooPS2 from Archive2.zip (but don't use that GenericBrightness.kext, because it's outdated and probably won't even work or will KP).

If you notice any bugs, let me know, I'll try to do my best to fix them.

PATCH HP DVx with Core i7

by NIXin (bart8472@gmail.com)

WARNING: ONLY APPLY THIS PATCH TO UNTOUCHED DSDT FILE

FOR EXAMPLE DSDT EXTRACTED UNDER WINDOWS OR LINUX

Version 1.0 BETA

Compile fixes:

- IF/ELSE IGDS

- Package sizes

- Memory block sizes

- Replacing Buffers with Packages

- Adding Returns to methods that didn't have them

DSDT Fixes:

- DTGP

- LID

- Vanilla AC (_PRW)

- OS Definition (0x07D6)

- GeForce GT 230M injection (LCD+VGA)

- LPC (Low Pin Count) Intel Device injection (cooler temperatures and Turbo mode)

- IRQ correction, HPET, TIMR, RTC

- HPET return 0x0F

- CMOS reset fix

- Native USB with _DSM, purging _PSM

- EHCI injection

- USB rename to UHC

- HDEF injection

- Realtek injection (cosmetic)

- Core i7 speed stepping

- SSDT

- SMBUS ICH10 controller injection

- Firewire power saving (L1A GPE)

- Firewire port injection

- Shutdown fix (_PTS method)

- Backlight vanilla slider enable (with native GenericBrightness.kext)

- HDMI audio fix

- Rename P0P2 to GFX1

- Add names for the JMicron card readers

You mean i should wait until v 1.2 is released?

Thanks again

Yep. :D

Yes 64-bit supported

I'm not sure about cdboot, I've used 8GB USB drive to install, install RC5 to USB then replace boot with Pcj's boot and install from USB

Thanks, yes, I am trying it with a USB flash drive with files for new Installation CD, but it KPs every time indicating APIC error (lapis). Is there something I'm doing wrong? I removed cpus=1 from kernel flags as if vanilla, should be able to boot with all cores / threads. Any ideas? My USB flash drive works fine with tartun kernel and cpus=1.

I have tried with 10.6.3 kernel to install from 10.6.3 image on USB HD, and 10.6.5. Both KP.

Mammoth, to your ChamExtUp, have you tried install AppleJack, then reboot the system, then at Chameleon type

-s

(mean single mode)

Thank you. I will try this and let you know. :D

Yes 64-bit supported

-s

(mean single mode)

Hi Nghia Developer,

I tried AppleJack, but it looks like I cannot point it to the Cham Partition... unless (now that I'm thinking about it), maybe I need to change to that volume and then start AppleJack... I'll give that a try.

Thanks though for the help! ;)

Hi Nghia Developer,

If you wouldn't mind, could you make a .DMG of your USB flash drive so I can try it? I've been trying, but it won't work for me. I'm hoping it's just something I'm doing wrong and not the compatibility issues with our machines.

Thanks.

i don't think that it will work, this Boot file makes unsupported CPUs work with vanilla Kernel

but our cpu is already fully supported with the vanilla Kernel

the problem is in the bios, i think the only solution is Meklort

Chameleon RC5

i don't think that it will work, this Boot file makes unsupported CPUs work with vanilla Kernel

but our cpu is already fully supported with the vanilla Kernel

the problem is in the bios, i think the only solution is Meklort

Chameleon RC5

Thanks Yehia Amer,

I think you are correct about this.

If anyone knows of the best, most current release of Chameleon 2.0-RC 5, I would like to know about it, especially versions of "cdboot". Currently I am working with v651, but want to use the latest and greatest with the final release of the new Install CD.

EVERYONE

For those who are working with the current version of GenericBrightness.kext, I am recommending NOT to use it at this time. It causes way too many KPs and at varying times and points. I was seeing many KPs during booting, requiring me to restart several times, also at times during an OS X session. Many times after a KP, GenericBrightness.kext was not seen in the KP (but sometimes it was), but having removed it now I am no longer seeing any KPs.

The GenericBrightness.kext is a worthwhile endeavor I fully support, but at this time more work is required on it. I'm sure they will resolve these issues, and at some point we will have a solid solution to adjust our brightness, which we will all be thankful for.

Back on track with the Installation CD BETA now that the KP issue I was seeing has been resolved.

@NIXin

Currently in the DSDT we have the edits for the nVidia GT 230M (and the IDT audio controller). Question: Would it be better to remove the nVidia edit and let Chameleon RC5 handle the GPU detection? I'm wondering if this might make the DSDT more compatible with other machines and GPUs, such as those from ATI. Same question on the audio controller, accept RC5 doesn't do any detection for audio controller, so is there a better way we should go for audio detection other than DSDT, or should we stick to the concept of customized DSDTs for various machine configs?

UPDATE

First BETA "Mammoth DVx Install CD" MAY be posted later today or tomorrow (if all continues to go well).

When I say posted, I mean it will only be available to select people with current i3, i5, and i7 series HP DVx machines. Testing for other machines will come later. Only those who have generated proper machine specific DSDTs either with NIXin's help or by successfully using the patcher with his scripts, will qualify for this first round testing.

There are NO guides involved in this first BETA test, and NONE of the files found in the CDs Installation directory have been updated (they are ALL the same files found on the v1.15 Update CD), so DO NOT attempt to complete an installation using them. This directory WILL be fully updated for the final release.

This BETA test is only to see if we can successfully boot and start the OS X installer on machines which were unable to with previous releases.

You will need a clean, INTERNALLY INSTALLED hard drive in order to participate in this BETA and for your results to be any help to this project.

If you meet all of the above requirements and would like to participate and receive the BETA for testing, please post so and provide:

- Your InsanelyMac user ID

- Your complete HP Pavilion DVx machine model number (so I can look it up on HP's site if needed)

- Which CPU you have (i3, i5, or i7)

- "YES", that you will be able to install to a hard drive (as outlined above)

- Which GPU you have (nVidia or ATI, and model number) having either one is still fine for this test

- And post your DSDT that was created with NIXin's help

Even if you have previously provided this information elsewhere, please provide it again so it's all in one place, and I don't have to waste time searching for it.

Thanks, we are getting closer and closer. ;)

Hi Mammoth,

I'll be happy to participate in testing.

As this seems like a job interview I hope the CV will be ok, if not it's back to using windows.... ;)

User id Sammity

Hp DV8-1200 Model WF681AV

Core i7 1.6ghz

Will be installed on an internal 60gb fresh hard drive

Nvidia GT230m GPU

My DSDT that has been used after Nixin's autopatcher is attached.

Thanks again for all your hard work that you've been putting into this.

dsdt.aml.zip

Hi Mammoth,

I'll be happy to participate in testing.

As this seems like a job interview I hope the CV will be ok, if not it's back to using windows.... :D

User id Sammity

Hp DV8-1200 Model WF681AV

Core i7 1.6ghz

Will be installed on an internal 60gb fresh hard drive

Nvidia GT230m GPU

My DSDT that has been used after Nixin's autopatcher is attached.

Thanks again for all your hard work that you've been putting into this.

Awesome, you have close to the same machine as mine, so this will be a good first test. I will soon send you a Personal Message with the link to the download.