[HowTo] X1600/X1800 Full Support (Borisbadenov Method)

munky

710 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've got a Sapphire X1600Pro 256MB, I installed 10.4.8(mikfi kernel), and used the 3.5 Neophus package. I am able to change resolutions but the video is very choppy with lots of artifacting no matter what resolution I choose. Can I still get the 3.4 package I'd like to try it assuming it has the older kexts.

I have the exact same video card and tried 3.4 in the past with the same problems you are seeing.

I might try to use the 10.4.7 drivers because this was working for me.

I have a problem. After to have installed the method in manual way, to restart the operating system it works but unfortunately I can't change the resolution. I have the x1600 mobility

Monitor:

Tipo: Controller compatibile con VGA

Bus: PCI

Slot: PCI

VRAM (totale): 256 MB

Fornitore: ATI (0x1002)

ID dispositivo: 0x71c5

ID revisione: 0x0000

Monitor:

Monitor:

Risoluzione: 1024 x 768

Profondità: Colore 32-bit

Core Image: Supportato

Monitor principale: Sì

Mirror: Spento

Online: Sì

Quartz Extreme: Supportato

10.4.8 / 3.5 Does NOT work for me no matter what I try, it always fails loading logonwindow.app

10.4.6 / 3.3 Works fine, fully. I can even rotate the screen.

Any ideas?

Sapphire PCI-e x1600Pro 256MB

I also tried X1x00 PCI-E support in JaS' latest release, results in kernel panic

Hi Neo

Ijust installed the 10.4.6 and downloaded your installer but I cannot get my video card to work as it should. I have an ATI Radeon X1600 Pro 512MB (from ATI, not saphire or MSI).

I installed your installer and nothing happens, everything stays as it was when I installed the OSx86. Here you have the system information:

Display:

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x71c2

Revision ID: 0x0000

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Any ideas??????

Hi Neo

Ijust installed the 10.4.6 and downloaded your installer but I cannot get my video card to work as it should. I have an ATI Radeon X1600 Pro 512MB (from ATI, not saphire or MSI).

I installed your installer and nothing happens, everything stays as it was when I installed the OSx86. Here you have the system information:

Display:

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Core Image: Not Supported

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Any ideas??????

Go through and manually check the files (go to the beginning of this genius bar method and see how to manually install). If possible, post here, or PM them to me (I want to see if we have the same issue). I run into a problem with the installer, and I think I know what it is (although not the slighest clue as to how it would be fixed...)

In the meantime, you might just go back through and do this method manually. It has worked for quite a few who are doing it that way until the installed can be figured out...also keep in mind that not every card is going to work...and in another thread one person has come to the conclusion that it may be the interaction of the card with the PCIe and the motherboard. One person who has tried a card in one where it works 100% w/no tearing. Moves it to another where the same exact card has tearing issues. Same OS X install version etc. IDK enough to comment about it, I haven't a clue about the innerworkings with the PCIe and mb. But anything at this point may help you keep your sanity.

joneSi

I installed the 10.4.8 without support for ATI checked... everything is fine.

Then i installed Boris Latest 3.5 Package Installer...

My card is PCIe Sapphire X1600 PRO 512

ID = 0x71c2

Reboot... after the grey loading screen, black screen, nothing!

Try in safe mode, same thing...cannot boot at all iin GUI mode.

Uninstall, everything come back to normal.

Ok, said to myself, do it manually...don't have the lines you talk about in my ATINDRV.kext???

Can somebody help please!

Also, i tried Boris with AGP option checked just to see... well it boot, now i have QE and everything enabled but no Resolution change and i have mouse artifacts.

HELP!!!!

Well, I'm 90% working. I have a sapphire x1600xt with 0x71c0 dev ID. Either the Boris method manually or the installer gets screwed up...and while it says that I have core image suppoted, it stutters on the 'ripple' effect on the dashboard.

Also, if I go through and check the kexts that the installer makes changes to, its not the same as what they should be if I go through and manually do this.

If there is any way that I can help out by posting or sending what I have to someone (NeoPheus?) to show what the changes are, I'd be happy to help. Otherwise I may be needing a new bios flash or I'll simply live with it.

joneSi

Hi !!!

I have same problem with ripple effect in dashboard ... i don't have "water effect"...it get some funny but anoying "effect" in stead...

How could i fix this ???

Thanx in advance

best regards

Mickey

Hi !!!

I have same problem with ripple effect in dashboard ... i don't have "water effect"...it get some funny but anoying "effect" in stead...

How could i fix this ???

Thanx in advance

best regards

Mickey

Well, what info can you provide on your setup? Video Card, Ram, mobo/cpu combo, ID's for video card etc would help

I haven't fixed it yet, but I'm willing to kill my install of os x to help figure out what it might be...

joneSi

I Jonsi, thanks for the advice, I just followed and now I can change the resolution of the screen, but I still have the same info in the "about this mac" screen.

I forgot to mention I have an AGP video card, not PCIe.

Well, I guess Neo will fix this issue in the next installer, but as you mentioned before, some systems work great, other don't even if they have very alike specs.

Thanks for the support.

KasaK

Well, what info can you provide on your setup? Video Card, Ram, mobo/cpu combo, ID's for video card etc would help

I haven't fixed it yet, but I'm willing to kill my install of os x to help figure out what it might be...

joneSi

First of all Thank you for help...

I am runing Jas OsX86 10.4.7 + Jas combo update for AMD SSE3 10.4.8

My computer :

AMD Athlon 64 (Venice) 3200+ SSE3 capable (but not in use according to system profile)

MSI K8 Neo (Nforce4 chipset) ...everything working out of box beside LAN (need simple patching)..i am very happy with this one

512MB DDR 400 (dual channel)

250Gb hdd SATA and 10 gb IDE ata (osx installed on it)

Graphics card : MSI X1600 Pro 256 Mb DDR2 PCIe (if thats not enough i will look for ID's (i am writing this from original G4 Mac mini)

I was trying to just with fresh install (Jas 10.4.7 dvd) use ripple effect, but it's the same, so update to 10.4.8 didn't mess thing up...

One more thing...

I was installed same vesion to an Acer 5672 (it has same X1600 radeon and it worked without problems... (it's duo core maschine

Thank you for your help ones again

Thank you to administrators of this site and to all involved in this project...

Best regards

Mickey

EDIT :

ID and stuff from System Profiler :

Radeon X1600 Series:

Chipset Model: Radeon X1600 Series

Bus: PCIe

Displays:

VGA Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Core Image: Supported

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

First of all Thank you for help...

I am runing Jas OsX86 10.4.7 + Jas combo update for AMD SSE3 10.4.8

My computer :

AMD Athlon 64 (Venice) 3200+ SSE3 capable (but not in use according to system profile)

MSI K8 Neo (Nforce4 chipset) ...everything working out of box beside LAN (need simple patching)..i am very happy with this one

512MB DDR 400 (dual channel)

250Gb hdd SATA and 10 gb IDE ata (osx installed on it)

Graphics card : MSI X1600 Pro 256 Mb DDR2 PCIe (if thats not enough i will look for ID's (i am writing this from original G4 Mac mini)

I was trying to just with fresh install (Jas 10.4.7 dvd) use ripple effect, but it's the same, so update to 10.4.8 didn't mess thing up...

One more thing...

I was installed same vesion to an Acer 5672 (it has same X1600 radeon and it worked without problems... (it's duo core maschine

Thank you for your help ones again

Thank you to administrators of this site and to all involved in this project...

Best regards

Mickey

EDIT :

ID and stuff from System Profiler :

Radeon X1600 Series:

Displays:

VGA Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Hmmmm...well I'm starting to notice that there are more than a few on our beloved AMD Athlon 64 (venice core) computers that are having issues. Let me elaborate...

As I said before, it would appear that these cards have different reactions to different computer and mobo combos. Your device ID would appear to be working with other peoples set ups (and I believe you said that it worked in a core duo that you have)...I've also got a venice core (3500+ here) and it is working properly with sse3, (according to system profiler) so I don't think that is the issue

Anybody else with an SSE3 AMD care to check in here? I think we have an -almost- unrelated issue here...unless there are folks here that have had issues with the ripple effect on the dashboard that are using Intel setups...

Any help?

joneSi

Hmmmm...well I'm starting to notice that there are more than a few on our beloved AMD Athlon 64 (venice core) computers that are having issues. Let me elaborate...

As I said before, it would appear that these cards have different reactions to different computer and mobo combos. Your device ID would appear to be working with other peoples set ups (and I believe you said that it worked in a core duo that you have)...I've also got a venice core (3500+ here) and it is working properly with sse3, (according to system profiler) so I don't think that is the issue

Anybody else with an SSE3 AMD care to check in here? I think we have an -almost- unrelated issue here...unless there are folks here that have had issues with the ripple effect on the dashboard that are using Intel setups...

Any help?

joneSi

my mistake... Acer 5672 is laptop(notebook) , and had x1600 integrated...i had Nvidia 6600GT in this computer, but i buyed 2 days ago Ati X1600 only because of OsX86 3d support

I also think that it's SSE3 and processor related because ripple effect start (only one wave) and than stops,so OSX "see" that card is Image core capable, but for some reason it stops it using it...strange...

Problem with Laptop was (first problem was that it wasnt mine but an friend of mine lol) that he had only one resolution (1024x768), but everything else worked good (beside LAN ethernet and wireless...

I hope someone will found where real problem in our Image core stuff is hiden

Best regards

Mickey

I have a problem. After to have installed the method in manual way, to restart the operating system it works but unfortunately I can't change the resolution. I have the x1600 mobility

Monitor:

Tipo: Controller compatibile con VGA

Slot: PCI

VRAM (totale): 256 MB

Fornitore: ATI (0x1002)

ID dispositivo: 0x71c5

ID revisione: 0x0000

Monitor:

Monitor:

Risoluzione: 1024 x 768

Profondità: Colore 32-bit

Core Image: Supportato

Monitor principale: Sì

Mirror: Spento

Online: Sì

Quartz Extreme: Supportato

up

up

SSE3 is working fine for me, it may be your install is the problem for that. But IMO its processor related...everything else works fine and my Core Image works exactly the same as yours on the ripple. One and done.

If anybody else is having this problem on an AMD setup, check in, hell even an Intel setup...I'd love to be wrong about this.

joneSi

OK right now...

Maybe you heard it, half Europe was without energy... and I was one of the million people without it!

So I can't release the newest version 3.6 of the installer... But now its there on my website!

New:

The installer checks by itself what kind of card do you have (X1800 or X1900 and so on) and enables the necessary file (ATY_Wormy for X1600...) by itself too!

This is a good for all people who does not have a X1600!

A hint: These drivers does NOT work with mobility cards (I think)!!!

Oh, and theres a surprise for all the people from the other graphics card side! :idea:

Just look at the menu, and you will see it.

Update: The upload took a long time sorry! But now its up!

I forgot to mention: THANKS MUNKY AND KIKO FOR THE HINT WITH THE FILES!

Hi...

I also have a problem with the 3.6 installer

I installed 10.4.8 and put in an ATI x1600 Pro and installed 3.5 and no problems! Everything worked except

DVI. I then saw the 3.6 installer on Neopheus's website and installed that. Machine booted untill the blue screen with starting OSX and the blue bar goes until the end and it just hangs there. I then booted into single user mode and ran the uninstallscript and rebooted and have the same problem.

Anybody help with this??

Thanks!

I have this extreme artifacting issue, using any version of anyone's X install disc from 10.4.6 to 10.4.8 including JaS' latest 10.4.8 full release. However, I have a 10.4.4 disc that works perfectly, using the borisbadenov method on the files from that release.

As soon as I activate the X1000.kext from 10.4.6 or 10.4.8, I have green, pink and cyan squares all over my screen. If I change resolutions, I get an artifact-free blank blue screen for a second and then the artifacts are back. I have a retail boxed Radeon X1600 (0x1002:71c2) and no issues like this, outside of 10.4.6 / 10.4.8 ... Any suggestions?

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: Mac

Machine Model: ACPI

Processor Speed: 4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: SN94510J.0050.2005

Radeon X1600 Series:

Type: Display

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Displays:

SONY TV:

Resolution: 1344 x 756 @ 60 Hz

Interlaced: Yes

Quartz 2D Extreme: Supported

Television: Yes

J6H1/CHAN A DIMM 0:

Size: 1 GB

Type: DDR2 SDRAM

Speed: 667 MHz

J6J1/CHAN B DIMM 0:

Size: 1 GB

Type: DDR2 SDRAM

Speed: 667 MHz

ATIRadeonX1000:

Version: 1.4.40

Last Modified: 1/3/06 8:54 PM

Get Info String: ATIRadeonX1000 1.4.40.4 (3952)

kext Version: 4.4.0

Load Address: 0x3c61c000

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Incomplete

Dependency Errors:

com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.kernel.iokit: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.kpi.bsd: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.kpi.iokit: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.kpi.libkern: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.kpi.mach: No valid version of this dependency can be found

Integrity: Kext is modified

ATY_Wormy:

Version: 1.4.40

Last Modified: 9/25/06 10:21 PM

Get Info String: ATY_Wormy 1.4.40.4 (1.1f37)

Location: /System/Library/Extensions/ATINDRV.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ATY_Wormy.kext

kext Version: 4.4.0

Load Address: 0x3c591000

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Incomplete

Dependency Errors:

com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.kpi.bsd: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.kpi.iokit: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.kpi.libkern: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.kpi.mach: No valid version of this dependency can be found

Integrity: Kext has no receipt

I guess rizzopro and I have the same issue.

I just fllowed the procedure in the first page of this thread and it partially worked with my system, but after installing Neo installer (3.6) my systems hangs up in the "Starting Mac OS" screen.

Any ideas how to fix this issue?

I guess I'll have to install again :-(