Kakewalk: Minimal effort install (EP45, EX58, P55, G41)

mrjanek

3,658 posts in this topic

Will this work fine with the GA-EP45-UD3L?

As far as I can see the only difference between them is the onboard RAID.

My other option is the GA-EP45T-UD3LR.

My planned build is:

Intel Core 2 DUO E8500 3.16MHz

Asus EN9800GT-DI-1GD3 GF9800GT, 1GB, DDR3, PCIE2.0, 2XDVI, HDMI, HDCP, ATX

2 WD 1TB SATA HDD's

2 500GB IDE HDD's that I already have. (Will these work fine as boot drives for Snow Leopard/windows 7?)

Case w/ 430w PSU

Either the EP45-UD3L or the EP45T-UD3LR based off your recommendations

+ 6gb of DDR2 or DDR3 ram depending on what MOBO I get

Does this all look fine?

Cheers,

Will

Hi MrJanek, and congratulations for your great work. Thank you too.

I installed Snow last week by following this guide and everything went smooth.

Today, I retries and it seems that the bug of Post 17 reappears:No way to get the

directory "Gigabyte" on the key or even the installation disk. Yet I downloaded the latest

package ... any idea?

Thank's again !

@+

Hi MrJanek, and congratulations for your great work. Thank you too.

I installed Snow last week by following this guide and everything went smooth.

Today, I retries and it seems that the bug of Post 17 reappears:No way to get the

directory "Gigabyte" on the key or even the installation disk. Yet I downloaded the latest

package ... any idea?

Thank's again !

@+

Download the latest guide, read through the guide and use the new installer. The Gigabyte folder is no longer necessary.

Will this work fine with the GA-EP45-UD3L?

As far as I can see the only difference between them is the onboard RAID.

My other option is the GA-EP45T-UD3LR.

My planned build is:

Intel Core 2 DUO E8500 3.16MHz

Asus EN9800GT-DI-1GD3 GF9800GT, 1GB, DDR3, PCIE2.0, 2XDVI, HDMI, HDCP, ATX

2 WD 1TB SATA HDD's

2 500GB IDE HDD's that I already have. (Will these work fine as boot drives for Snow Leopard/windows 7?)

Case w/ 430w PSU

Either the EP45-UD3L or the EP45T-UD3LR based off your recommendations

+ 6gb of DDR2 or DDR3 ram depending on what MOBO I get

Does this all look fine?

Cheers,

Will

I'd go for the UD3L motherboard seeing as it's almost identical to UD3LR. That system will work fine although you won't be able to boot from your IDE drives.

I have a problem to format my thumbnail to "diag partition form" my thumbnail.

I have tried everything an on diffrent OSX versions (10.3 10.4).

The thumnail that I use is a Kingston Datatreveler 8Gb G2 an it just freez when I try to format it, but I tried a old kingston datatreveler 500Mb and it wors fine.

What is the problem??? Please help me!

I'd go for the UD3L motherboard seeing as it's almost identical to UD3LR. That system will work fine although you won't be able to boot from your IDE drives.

Thanks for your help.

Can you let us know if that board works for you using this install method when you try it? I am interested in picking up one of those boards also.

Thanks

Sure, I wont be building it for a couple of weeks though.

Thanks for the excellent guide and packaging !

After messing up a SL install upgrading to 10.6.2, I ended up doing a clean reinstall. The latest Netkas post got my ATI 4850 running. I'm running a EP45T-UD3LR so it took another couple jumps to get audio working.

The only thing that I've found that isn't working seems to be related to USB devices. Specifically my iPhone and a ZTE 3G wireless adapter. iTunes won't auto launch when the iPhone is plugged in and neither the iPhone nor the ZTE usb stick work... the resulting ethernet device just doesn't get created.

The kernel messages look like ....

ov 14 16:49:15 tytus com.apple.kextd[10]: Can't load /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOKit6.0.kext - no code for running kernel's architecture.
Nov 14 16:49:15 tytus com.apple.kextd[10]: Failed to load /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOKit6.0.kext - (libkern/kext) requested architecture/executable not found.
Nov 14 16:49:15 tytus com.apple.kextd[10]: Load com.apple.kernel.iokit failed; removing personalities.
Nov 14 16:49:15 tytus com.apple.kextd[10]: Can't load /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext - no code for running kernel's architecture.
Nov 14 16:49:15 tytus com.apple.kextd[10]: Failed to load /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext - (libkern/kext) requested architecture/executable not found.
Nov 14 16:49:15 tytus com.apple.kextd[10]: Load com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEthernetHost failed; removing personalities.
Nov 14 16:49:16 tytus com.apple.usbmuxd[38]: MuxInterfaceLogLevelSend MuxInterfaceSend for log level failed: 0xffffffff
Nov 14 16:49:16 tytus com.apple.usbmuxd[38]: MuxVersionInput couldn't send log level packet, error: 0xffffffff
Nov 14 16:49:16 tytus com.apple.usbmuxd[38]: HandleUSBMuxConnect Client 0x1911e30 (usbmuxd/NULL) requesting attach to 0x1:32498 failed, no such device
Nov 14 16:49:16 tytus com.apple.usbmuxd[38]: HandleUSBMuxConnect Client 0x1910270 (iTunesHelper/com.apple.iTunesHelper) requesting attach to 0x1:32498 failed, no such device

Anybody got any ideas ? Same result in either 32bit or 64bit.

I got an iTunes error too when connecting my iPhone to the FRONT usb port (like I did unter 10.5.X). Don't know if it was your error

Using one of the back ports solved the problem for me... *phu ;)

I've tried both the front ports and all the back ports with the same result

tytus com.apple.usbmuxd[38]: HandleUSBMuxConnect Client 0x19108c0 (iTunesHelper/com.apple.iTunesHelper) requesting attach to 0x3:32498 failed, no such device

Hey, MrJanek! Thanx again for your method!

I bought a beautiful Antec Solo case for my build, and now my hackmac is leopardy and beautiful! And working 99%...

... but I've got a small problem, when I try to connect to the networked time machine that we've got at home, the system complains: "Time Machine can’t access the backup disk “Backup iMacâ€. The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error 2.)"

So if anyone here knows a solution I will be grateful!

The time machine is not from apple, is a FreeNAS box with a AFP share. I think its well configured, because the other mac we have (a real iMac from Apple) connects and backups just fine. The problem is with me or with my network card kext? On the network preferences panel the card is listed as "Ethernet" and not "Built-in ethernet" could that be the problem?

My system specs:

CPU: Intel 1.93 Core 2 Duo

RAM: Kingston 800mhz 2GB (1 stick)

Mobo: GA-EP45-U3DLR

HDD: Seagate SATA 500GB

Graphics: Nvidia 8800GT 512MB

Running Snow leopard 10.6.2 according to MrJanek awesome tutorial

Note: I did not update the bios to v7.

Thanx in advance!

By the way, using FreeNAS as a cool (and very cheap) Time Machine/Networked storage using spare parts is a good way to recycle them! I can write a guide or provide links for anyone interested!

... but I've got a small problem, when I try to connect to the networked time machine that we've got at home, the system complains: "Time Machine can�€™t access the backup disk �€œBackup iMac�€�. The operation couldn�€™t be completed. (OSStatus error 2.)"

So if anyone here knows a solution I will be grateful!

The time machine is not from apple, is a FreeNAS box with a AFP share. I think its well configured, because the other mac we have (a real iMac from Apple) connects and backups just fine. The problem is with me or with my network card kext? On the network preferences panel the card is listed as "Ethernet" and not "Built-in ethernet" could that be the problem?

I'm afraid I have little experience with Time Machine and NAS. I would think it's a common error though, and a few google searches would probably give you some insight.

About the network card. That's purely cosmetic.

Hi mrjanek,

I have a cordless keyboard and mouse and they don't work with your corrected full installer. They work with your first version installer though. Have any idea how it can be? Do you think that it can be repaired with a patch or a kext?

Is there any way to make a DVD installer from your USB stick installer?

Thanks

Everything installed perfectly on my UD3LR, I didn't even need to install that fix to update to 10.6.2....

I've got a few questions that I'd really appreciate if anyone could answer... :)

1.) How do I know if Speed Step is enabled and working?

2.) Is there an app to monitor my temps except for iStats? Which doesn't tell me all my core temps..

Thank you for this dude, my install was flawless and everything is running smoothly on my UD3LR rig. Big upgrade from my old C2D 2.0GHz iMac to a much faster quad core.

If I weren't so hungry for money to buy Modern Warfare 2 I'd send a donation your way. :P

hey mr. janek, I'm having just one problem... after i install SL and the latest version of your installer to my SL hard drive, i get a blue screen (after the bootloader and about 15 secs of the Apple Logo and some spinning loading). It just sits there for however long i let it with the blue screen, does not change. Verbose mode reveals nothing, as it loads past that stage.

hey mr. janek, I'm having just one problem... after i install SL and the latest version of your installer to my SL hard drive, i get a blue screen (after the bootloader and about 15 secs of the Apple Logo and some spinning loading). It just sits there for however long i let it with the blue screen, does not change. Verbose mode reveals nothing, as it loads past that stage.

Sorry, but this guide is for EP45-UD3LR, not EP45T-UD3LR

meh, they're basically the same, only that the EP45T has DDR3.... and i figured out that i had my display connected to the slave port on my GTX 280. So this guide worked flawlessly on my EP45T. Congrats and thanks buddy!

EDIT: Actually the audio is effed... so i'll be working on that...

Sorry, but this guide is for EP45-UD3LR, not EP45T-UD3LR

I'm not sure what is ailing xxxshooter's setup, but I was able to use your tutorial to get my EP45T-UD3LR motherboard build to work without any modifications to your installer or associated files. The only change a made during installation was deselect all of the options under customize (because I was getting kernel panics during the beginning of the installation process)

Your tutorial and installation package is awesome. It works on systems you didn't even intend it for :)

I honestly believe the only difference between the EP45 and the EP45T is the DDR3 RAM.

As for your problem xxxshooter, are you sure you enabled AHCI mode in your BIOS? HPET 64-bit? etc. etc...

Also maybe it's due to your BIOS, I updated my BIOS to F7 before installing Snow Leopard. I believe the latest BIOS for your motherboard is the F6 beta, so you may want to try that. You can easily install the new BIOS version inside of Windows using Gigabyte's @bios program.

I didn't do any BIOS updates or anything like that, I'm pretty sure that it was just the wrong display port on my GTX 280... i switched the display port and no more blue screen now.

I also choose multiple packages when I installed it (Quicktime, X11, Rosetta) and it still worked without flaws.

Hm. All is good with the audio now too. Using the guide found here i fixed the problem of gargly audio after sleep, this should even work for Leopard machines! (assuming you're using VoodooHDA)

Runs nice and crisp. My only thing is that even after updating to 10.6.2, I'm still not able to use OpenCL...