Kakewalk: Minimal effort install (EP45, EX58, P55, G41)

mrjanek

3,658 posts in this topic

no, you didn´t understand me correct.

system hdd is 640gb

timemachine hdd is 1tb (was empty).

i installed sl on the system hdd like in the guide. after all was finished, i booted the new system and the 1tb hdd was recognized and i was asked to initialize the hdd. i accepted and it freezes at 50%. i tried it several times, no luck. i tried also to ignore the new hdd and initialized it later (manually with the harddisk diskutility). no luck either.

so i tried to format it on my (other) 10.5.8 computer and this computer initialized the 1tb hdd in 5 seconds without any problems.

it´s possible that the harddisk is defective. after some seconds it needs 1 minute to wake up although i disabled sleepmode for the harddisks in the system settings of sl.

no, you didn´t understand me correct.

system hdd is 640gb

timemachine hdd is 1tb (was empty).

i installed sl on the system hdd like in the guide. after all was finished, i booted the new system and the 1tb hdd was recognized and i was asked to initialize the hdd. i accepted and it freezes at 50%. i tried it several times, no luck. i tried also to ignore the new hdd and initialized it later (manually with the harddisk diskutility). no luck either.

so i tried to format it on my (other) 10.5.8 computer and this computer initialized the 1tb hdd in 5 seconds without any problems.

it´s possible that the harddisk is defective. after some seconds it needs 1 minute to wake up although i disabled sleepmode for the harddisks in the system settings of sl.

Sorry, I have no idea what the problem is. I haven't been able to replicate the error on the 2 computers that I have here in the house. I would suggest searching on the forums to see if it is a common error.

now i am quite sure that the 1tb hdd is broken. i connected an old 200gb sata hdd as timemachine hdd to the sl computer and i first initialized it and got it immediately to work with timemachine. first backup (11gb) is already finished. so the new 1tb is probably broken. :-( sometimes i hate computers...

I running with your install package with no problem on F5 bios, but I have a weird problem. I select a screensaver and when screensaver starts its tottaly different and then I look in pref and its ticked - use random screensa. I unselect it and it doesn't work. It change automaticly back to random. What's the problem?

I running with your install package with no problem on F5 bios, but I have a weird problem. I select a screensaver and when screensaver starts its tottaly different and then I look in pref and its ticked - use random screensa. I unselect it and it doesn't work. It change automaticly back to random. What's the problem?

i have exactly this problem, too! (ep45-ud3lr, bios f7)

First of all this is an awesome tutorial. I appreciate your hard work in putting it together. I can confirm that this installer package works on a GA-EP45T-UD3LR, which as far as I can tell is identical to the GA-EP45-UD3LR except for the fact that the T supports DDR3 RAM.

EDIT: I was finally able to get SL to install. For some reason I kept getting kernel panics during the installation process. When I deselected everything (printer drivers, extra languages, etc.) in the customize menu during installation, I was finally able to get everything to install. I haven't tried updating to 10.6.2 yet, as I installed my system before that feature was added to your installer.

Here are my specs for those who want to confirm a setup that is working:

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66

Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR

4 GB of DDR3 RAM

Gigabyte Nividia GeForce 8400 GS 512 GDDR2 Video Card

1TB Samsung Hard Drive

Pioneer Blu ray Player

Again, Thanks for the AWESOME tutorial. It's people like you that make the world go around. I sincerely appreciate the time and effort you have put into helping me and others install SL on their hackintoshes.

First of all this is an awesome tutorial. I appreciate your hard work in putting it together.

I am pulling my hair out trying to get SL to install. I have tried every way of installing it known to man (Empire EFI, USB, lifehaker, no DSDT file, custom crafted files etc.) to know avail. The best I can do is get to the installer (after successfully partitioning) and then it starts at 34 minutes left and then jumps quickly to 30 minutes left and then either freezes or gives me a kernel panic. The weird thing, is I only get this far if I have let the computer sit for a while. Sometimes it just dies after the bootloader starts.

Has anyone seen this in their installations? Is this and indication of an incompatible video card?

I have:

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR

4 GB of DDR3 RAM

Gigabyte Nividia GeForce 8400 GS 512 GDDR2 Video Card

1TB Samsung Hard Drive

Any help or advice will be appreciated beyond comprehension.

Are you working from an installed version of Leopard? How are you getting Snow Leopard started? Meaning, did you go to a friends house and put snow leopard on the thumb drive or do you have another Mac in the house that you are working from?

If you got DDR3 ram then you have the EP45T-UD3LR. I think its a little bit different.

EDIT: The only difference is ram socket.

then i think it´s a ram problem. try different brands. the problem would occur also in windows. if not, maybe the dsdt file isn´t good for ddr3 ram.

i have a question: what happens if one time comes an update which has new drivers for some hardware? is then the installation broken or does this installation overrides the new drivers so the computer continous working?

i ask because i know some leopard installations which override new system drivers with an extra folder which contains appropriate drivers for the hackintosh hardware.

Just noticed this on my install as well. I will investigate :D

i have a question: what happens if one time comes an update which has new drivers for some hardware? is then the installation broken or does this installation overrides the new drivers so the computer continous working?

i ask because i know some leopard installations which override new system drivers with an extra folder which contains appropriate drivers for the hackintosh hardware.

There is no "override mode" in this package.

The installation package is aimed to be as clean as possible.

It only includes the dsdt, a few extra kexts, pc efi and some scripts (bonjourfix, timemachine)

Are you working from an installed version of Leopard? How are you getting Snow Leopard started? Meaning, did you go to a friends house and put snow leopard on the thumb drive or do you have another Mac in the house that you are working from?

I have a real mac that I am using to put the OSX install disc on a USB thumb drive. I have also tried the methods where you boot with a CD and then insert the real OSX install disc.

Just noticed this on my install as well. I will investigate :)

There is now "override mode" in this package.

The installation package is aimed to be as clean as possible.

It only includes the dsdt, a few extra kexts, pc efi and some scripts (bonjourfix, timemachine)

"no" or "now"? and what happens if apple supplies new drivers for their hardware that doesn´t run on hackintosh hardware?

then i think it´s a ram problem. try different brands. the problem would occur also in windows. if not, maybe the dsdt file isn´t good for ddr3 ram.

Your absolutely right. I don't know how I missed the T, but I actually have the EP45T-UD3LR motherboard. So it sounds like I am going to have to manually change the DSDT file in order to get this to work. Are there any other files I would have to change, like the Symbios or Apple.boot.plist?

Thanks everyone for your comments thus far, I feel like I am finally getting somewhere.

"no" or "now"? and what happens if apple supplies new drivers for their hardware that doesn´t run on hackintosh hardware?

Should've been a "no"

Honestly I don't know, only time will tell. This is after all "Hackintosh". Things might change in the future and if so we adapt.

Bonjour

Apparently there were a few typos in the Bonjour fix which meant that it didn't work.

I have now fixed this and reuploaded the install package (Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR.zip, download link in the first post)

If you've already installed Snow Leopard you can do the following:

1. Download this package

2. Copy the contents of the "Bonjourfix" folder into "/Extra". Overwrite previous files.

3. Apply the BonjourFix again. Refer to the guide for instructions.

Deprecated

Your absolutely right. I don't know how I missed the T, but I actually have the EP45T-UD3LR motherboard. So it sounds like I am going to have to manually change the DSDT file in order to get this to work. Are there any other files I would have to change, like the Symbios or Apple.boot.plist?

Thanks everyone for your comments thus far, I feel like I am finally getting somewhere.

Check this post for ready made edited DSDT's over @ efixusers.

http://www.efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=38

/e

Thanks a lot for the guide !!!

I got Snow Leopard 10.6 up and running. Video, sound, ethernet all work great.

But i keep getting these kernel panic's all the time. My screen goes gray, and it says to restart my computer ?

I keep getting this over and over again. I also got this like two times during the installation.

The other thing is that i have a dual boot with Windows 7, and Windows 7 keep crashing on me to, i get BSOD's every 10/15 minutes.

Here are my specs:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR

Core™ 2 Quad Q8400 (4x 2666 MHz)

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT (512mb)

StealthXStream 500W (500 Watt)

Corsair 4 GB DDR2-1066 Kit (4096 MB)

Seagate ST3500418AS (500 GB) SATA

Any ideas ???

Thanks in advance !

Thanks a lot for the guide !!!

I got Snow Leopard 10.6 up and running. Video, sound, ethernet all work great.

But i keep getting these kernel panic's all the time. My screen goes gray, and it says to restart my computer ?

I keep getting this over and over again. I also got this like two times during the installation.

The other thing is that i have a dual boot with Windows 7, and Windows 7 keep crashing on me to, i get BSOD's every 10/15 minutes.

Here are my specs:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR

Core™ 2 Quad Q8400 (4x 2666 MHz)

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT (512mb)

StealthXStream 500W (500 Watt)

Corsair 4 GB DDR2-1066 Kit (4096 MB)

Seagate ST3500418AS (500 GB) SATA

Any ideas ???

Thanks in advance !

Sounds like Windows 7 is causing it. I suggest disabling the NTFS partitions in Snow Leopard.

@d00m42

Found a BIG issue for those running a drive or partition with windows 7 installed and formated with NTFS!

Remove or disconnect your Windows 7 drive, or you will be getting OSX crashes, *ntfs corruption*, possible KP's!

I have plowed through my logs looking for possible reasons for random crashing, kp's (prior to Realtek1000.ktext removal)

One of the symptoms I was seeing was sata devices became delayed, even paused for up to 10secs before a sata device would respond.. this would repeat about 3 times then.. crashed to the GSOD screen. The other symptom was slow overall disk reads / writes

Looking back through my logs I found the following in regards to WINDOWS 7 NTFS ONLY

Below was the findings:

Aug 29 14:07:49 Brians-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NTFS-fs error (device /dev/disk1s2, pid 25): ntfs_inode_data_sync(): ubc_msync() of data for mft_no 0x69 failed (error 30).

Aug 29 14:07:49 Brians-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NTFS-fs error (device /dev/disk1s2, pid 25): ntfs_vnop_pageout(): Failed (error 30).

Aug 29 14:07:55 Brians-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NTFS-fs error (device /dev/disk1s2, pid 13078): ntfs_mft_record_sync(): Failed to write mft record 0xe5e8 (error 13).

Aug 29 14:07:55 Brians-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NTFS-fs error (device /dev/disk1s2, pid 13078): ntfs_inode_sync(): Failed to sync mft_no 0xe5e8 (error 13). Run chkdsk.

Aug 29 14:07:55 Brians-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NTFS-fs error (device /dev/disk1s2, pid 13078): ntfs_vnop_inactive(): Failed to sync mft_no 0xe5e8, type 0x80, name_len 0xc (error 13).

Aug 29 14:20:49 Brians-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NTFS-fs error (device /dev/disk1s2, pid 90): ntfs_mft_record_sync(): Failed to write mft record 0xe5e8 (error 13).

Aug 29 14:20:49 Brians-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NTFS-fs error (device /dev/disk1s2, pid 90): ntfs_inode_sync(): Failed to sync mft_no 0xe5e8 (error 13). Run chkdsk.

Aug 29 14:20:49 Brians-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NTFS-fs error (device /dev/disk1s2, pid 90): ntfs_vnop_inactive(): Failed to sync mft_no 0xe5e8, type 0x80, name_len 0x0 (error 13).

So, without haste I booted into my windows 7... BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH 3 times @ boot

Had to repair the disk and found TONS of errors!

Head the warning, remove the drive or disable OSX from mounting that drive/partition...

Since I have removed the drive completely I have noticed night and day speed difference on the sata performance.

I have had ZERO system errors / GSOD or KP's since..

Hi all, here is my Feedback!

The technik from my little MacPro:

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UDLR3 F7-Bios

INTEL Core 2 Quad Q9550s, 2.83GHz, 12MB Cache

DDR2-RAM KIT 4096 MB, PC2-800 MHz, CL5, CORSAIR

Harddisk SATA II Seagate Barracuda, 7200.11, 1.5 TB, 32MB Cache

POINT OF VIEW GeForce 9600 GT Green, 1024MB DDR3

Power: ATX 450 Watt, Corsair 450VXEU

I install with the package from threadstart and IT WORKS GREAT!

Sound, Lan, Grafik, Softwareupdate.... all

Thanks for the nice tutorial!

Greetz from Vienna

Franky