Kakewalk: Minimal effort install (EP45, EX58, P55, G41)

mrjanek

3,658 posts in this topic

Have something more changed with the new installer? I tried using it but the computer hangs at verifying DMI data when reading from the USB stick. Tried with three different USB sticks, restoring SL install image to them and then installing the installer package but with the same result with all three of them.

Hm, no. Where do you get this error?

Darn - have reinstalled and updated all the latest packages, currently running 10.6.2 with your fix but still can't get the system to automatically sleep!!! Have checked BIOS settings and everything - any ideas please (driving me crazy!)

Do you have any PCI - card installed? Read somewhere when a guy had a firewirecard installed and he got the same error but working fine without it.

Darn - have reinstalled and updated all the latest packages, currently running 10.6.2 with your fix but still can't get the system to automatically sleep!!! Have checked BIOS settings and everything - any ideas please (driving me crazy!)

Try the package a few posts up and report back.

You could also try using "PleaseSleep", it's freeware. You can find it here. It could be an application which is keeping the system from going to sleep. In this case this program should be a remedy.

Hm, no. Where do you get this error?

When it starts to load from the usb stick - it starts to blink and the the message came up. I am trying a fourth stick now :D I read in some thread a guy had the same issue installing SL with some other guide with some cheap usb sticks but I got expensive quality stuff :D

When it starts to load from the usb stick - it starts to blink and the the message came up. I am trying a fourth stick now :D I read in some thread a guy had the same issue installing SL with some other guide with some cheap usb sticks but I got expensive quality stuff :D

Aha ok, I will take a shot at it here as well. I'll report back.

No luck with the fourth stick either - shall look and see if I have the old installer lying around on some of the harddrives

Okay, I've fixed the package and re-uploaded it. Sorry about that! Forgot 2 important files in the package. Silly me :(

Try the package a few posts up and report back.

You could also try using the "PleaseSleep" it's freeware. You can find it here. It could be an application which is keeping the system from going to sleep. In this case this program should be a remedy.

Thanks but it seems to have suddenly started sleeping great! Can't explain that, but thanks for all the hints.

Thanks a lot for your guide! Must have taken a lot of work. I managed to get SL working on my Abit-IP35P but it was a bit a iffy (loading very slowly); so I've decided to try your guide on my UP45-UD3LR - I was going to go with either the lifehacker or EP45-UD3R install method on this forum but after seeing your tutorial I will definitely try it.

On a sidenote: have you tried updating it to 10.6.2 (sorry if this has been mentioned) - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196758

Thanks a lot for your guide! Must have taken a lot of work. I managed to get SL working on my Abit-IP35P but it was a bit a iffy (loading very slowly); so I've decided to try your guide on my UP45-UD3LR - I was going to go with either the lifehacker or EP45-UD3R install method on this forum but after seeing your tutorial I will definitely try it.

On a sidenote: have you tried updating it to 10.6.2 (sorry if this has been mentioned) - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196758

Thanks!

Yes, you will be able to upgrade to 10.6.2 straight after finishing the installation.

hey mrjanek

first: your guide sounds VERY simple, looking forward to test it on my new EP45-UD3LR this weekend! Would be awesome to set it up in these short steps without problems :( !

(bad experience in the past :angel: )

I have two short questions left:

- It seem like everybody uses NVIDIA gfx ;) - I have a Radeon HD 3870 (ATI) runing on Leo 10.5.8

will it work out of the box?

- and a more generally question: can I "recover" my timemachine backup from the 10.5.8 System on a hackintosh Snow Leo?

thanks in advance

daniel

hey mrjanek

first: your guide sounds VERY simple, looking forward to test it on my new EP45-UD3LR this weekend! Would be awesome to set it up in these short steps without problems ;) !

(bad experience in the past :P )

I have two short questions left:

- It seem like everybody uses NVIDIA gfx :) - I have a Radeon HD 3800 (ATI) runing on Leo 10.5.8

will it work out of the box?

- and a more generally question: can I "recover" my timemachine backup from the 10.5.8 System on a hackintosh Snow Leo?

thanks in advance

daniel

1. Your graphics card should work just fine. I haven't been able to try any ATI cards but your card should be autodetected by the bootloader.

2. I don't have any experience with this but it would probably work. After recovering you can use this package to install the PCEFI bootloader and the other necessary files.

Sure, I'll do a brief rundown of what's included

DSDT.aml - This has been patched with the basics HPET, RTC, etc. It has also been patched to enable sound and "Graphics Enabler".

PCEFI bootloader is included. The package makes use of the Graphics Enabler option to autodetect the graphics card and pass on the information gathered to Snow Leopard.

KEXTs - JMicronATA to be able to use P-ATA devices, LegacyHDA for enabling sound, PlatformUUID with a preset UUID, Realtek1000SL driver with 64-bit support and Bonjour

That's it basically.

I'm glad people find this install package useful ;) Thanks!

I will be posting a new version soon (today). The difference with that one is that you don't have to run "Post-Install Fixes" after installing Snow Leopard. Instead it will be a package included in the Snow Leopard installation (eg. Customize -> X11).

This will make the installation even easier and cleaner!

EGoTtMcqS.gif

Strange.. sleep is working just fine here.

Have you set up BIOS properly?

I used your new pkg and run it over my usb stick, but i dont see this extra option in my snow leopard install when i hit customize.

Is this because i allready used the old pkg installer? Do i need to clean my usb stick, restore the sow leopard on my usb stick and then run your installer? Also i dont see antyhing mentioned about the new option in sno leopard installer in your pdf guide attced to the zip file?

anyway, great work you've been doing!

I used your new pkg and run it over my usb stick, but i dont see this extra option in my snow leopard install when i hit customize.

Is this because i allready used the old pkg installer? Do i need to clean my usb stick, restore the sow leopard on my usb stick and then run your installer? Also i dont see antyhing mentioned about the new option in sno leopard installer in your pdf guide attced to the zip file?

anyway, great work you've been doing!

Yes, you have to format your thumb drive and restore Snow Leopard to it again.

Also make sure to re-download the package in case you've got an older version.

The Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR customize option isn't mentioned as it's already selected and will install by default.

I've just ordered my girlfriends new system! We bought UD3LR with Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83ghz, 8GB pc 6400 Ram and Gtx 260 together with a 24" screen!

I think it should be great!

I really hope it will work direct out of the box!

One question: Do we need a Windows installation before we install OS X? (I have a Macbook Pro and SL formated 16GB stick).

I've just ordered my girlfriends new system! We bought UD3LR with Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83ghz, 8GB pc 6400 Ram and Gtx 260 together with a 24" screen!

I think it should be great!

I really hope it will work direct out of the box!

One question: Do we need a Windows installation before we install OS X? (I have a Macbook Pro and SL formated 16GB stick).

Nice rig :P

You're all set!

Hay mrjanek,

Have a question:

Though I wrote that after updating to 10.6.2 everything was fine, I had some graphics problems so I installed YOUR 10.6.2 packages. After that the graphics problems were solved but in system preferences in graphics display menu the ROM version has changed from "NVIDIA graphics engine DSDT" to "xx.xx.xx-internal". My graphic card is an NVIDIA 8400 GS. Do you think it could cause a problem?

Thanks

Hay mrjanek,

Have a question:

Though I wrote that after updating to 10.6.2 everything was fine, I had some graphics problems so I installed YOUR 10.6.2 packages. After that the graphics problems were solved but in system preferences in graphics display menu the ROM version has changed from "NVIDIA graphics engine DSDT" to "xx.xx.xx-internal". My graphic card is an NVIDIA 8400 GS. Do you think it could cause a problem?

Thanks

No, this is purely cosmetic. Don't worry about it.