Kakewalk: Minimal effort install (EP45, EX58, P55, G41)

mrjanek

3,658 posts in this topic

@mrjanek

I try to install from the retaildvd with your patched files, but always get install error or kernel panics.. it's happen at Essetian.pkg or little bit later... randomly.. maybe its the graphiccard?

my sys:

q9400

ep45-ud3lr F7

4gb ddr2

ATI 4890

I partition my hdd as follows:GUID: disk0s1 is my SL System, disk0s2 is Installdrive (SL Retail + your patched files)

I am thinking about installing "NullCPUPowerManagement.kext" and "SleepEnabler.kext" because my e7200@4ghz is idling at 55c, which in turn causes CPU fan noise. Prior to installing them, i have two noobish simple questions:

Is it enough to just copy the kexts to the extentions directory in order to install them, or have to use some kext utility?

Do I delete the kexts later(in order to avoid panic when the next update comes) just by moving them to trash?

thanks

I am thinking about installing "NullCPUPowerManagement.kext" and "SleepEnabler.kext" because my e7200@4ghz is idling at 55c, which in turn causes CPU fan noise. Prior to installing them, i have two noobish simple questions:

Is it enough to just copy the kexts to the extentions directory in order to install them, or have to use some kext utility?

Do I delete the kexts later(in order to avoid panic when the next update comes) just by moving them to trash?

thanks

Yes, just copy the kexts to /Extra/Extensions with Finder or delete them as you would normally do.

Well, considering that the previous version of "SleepEnabler.kext" broke the update to 10.6.2.. :(

The only other difference is the +- 10C degrees.

Aha, so if I have 10.6.2 running there is a chance installing the kexts can break it? I'm guessing you had a good reason for omitting them from the install script.

It did the same thing to me, but i was able to install anyways, and i now have a working hackintosh thanks to mrjanek. :-) and i did the upgrade to 10.6.2 w/o issue. Note: i kept getting panics trying the USB method, but coulda just been it didn't like doing it all off my 8G kingston, but oh well. (btw.. i have an EP45-UD3L (no R))..

I did not get a chance to try another DVD drive yesterday. Could the problem be that I'm using GA-EP45-UD3R motherboard & not the UD3LR? Has anyone installed this to UD3R?

Hi,

First time poster here trying to wander into the world of hackintosh. I just bought the GA-EP45-UD3P board and I was wondering if anyone has used this method to install SL on this MB (other than the life hacker approach) and also have ATI Radeon 4850 crossfire cards working?

TIA.

Hey! I have been trying the guide to install Snow leopard. I allready have a succesfull 10.5 install.

After using the bootloader to boot the Snow Leopard installer DVD, i get the infamous stop sign when the dvd is loading the installer.

Since i cannot start this DVD with -v i cannot see the error it has. I have tried loading this Leo installer with another boot132 dvd that succesfully helped me out with 10.5, but when try this, the Leo 10.6 just gives me a black screen during loading of the installer.

Any idea's?

First of all you rock man, thanks for responding to everyone's questions! I didn't find an answer in the first few pages, so I'm just going to ask: I just installed Leopard 10.5.7 via iATKOS v7 yesterday.

1) Is there a way to check if I've already applied the F7 BIOS update? I can't remember... (I guess I could just reapply it...wouldn't hurt anything, right?)

2) Will this erase programs already installed on the machine? Or will it simply update the OS?

3) I have Leopard installed on its own hard drive...no partition. So do I need to mess with the partitioning in Step 3? Or do I just go on with the Snow Leopard installer and select the hard drive that Leopard is currently on?

Thanks again man for your guide and all the help!

@MrJanek and guys: i have dloaded sleep and cpu power kexts from kexts.com and got an instant panic. Is there a way to get those kexts in place, since my overclocked cpu is iddling at 56c, and the fan is making quite a noise?! Tnx!!

Update: Tried with just nullcpupowermanagement kext, without sleepenabler, and temperatures dropped SIGNIFICANTLY, from 56 to 37 idle, so in my humble opinion, guys, this kext is a must. if it's a threat to a future update, a simple move to trash prior to update. with the decrease in temp. came the more quiet system, as well.

i am only wondering Mr Janek, why you havent added it to your installer?! Does it not, perhaps reduce system performance?

@MrJanek and guys: i have dloaded sleep and cpu power kexts from kexts.com and got an instant panic. Is there a way to get those kexts in place, since my overclocked cpu is iddling at 56c, and the fan is making quite a noise?! Tnx!!

Update: Tried with just nullcpupowermanagement kext, without sleepenabler, and temperatures dropped SIGNIFICANTLY, from 56 to 37 idle, so in my humble opinion, guys, this kext is a must. if it's a threat to a future update, a simple move to trash prior to update. with the decrease in temp. came the more quiet system, as well.

i am only wondering Mr Janek, why you havent added it to your installer?! Does it not, perhaps reduce system performance?

On my system it didn't have much of an impact +/- 8C degrees so I hadn't bothered with adding them to the installer.

I was also not too keen on those kexts as they caused trouble with the 10.6.2 update (which resulted in a kernel panic)

But a few days ago I changed my mind and I actually sneaked them in to both the CD and USB installer :)

From now on there will be a changelog with every release.

I'm also working on a new version of this installer that will have support for a lot more Gigabyte motherboards.

More about that in the near future.

First of all you rock man, thanks for responding to everyone's questions! I didn't find an answer in the first few pages, so I'm just going to ask: I just installed Leopard 10.5.7 via iATKOS v7 yesterday.

1) Is there a way to check if I've already applied the F7 BIOS update? I can't remember... (I guess I could just reapply it...wouldn't hurt anything, right?)

2) Will this erase programs already installed on the machine? Or will it simply update the OS?

3) I have Leopard installed on its own hard drive...no partition. So do I need to mess with the partitioning in Step 3? Or do I just go on with the Snow Leopard installer and select the hard drive that Leopard is currently on?

Thanks again man for your guide and all the help!

Thanks a lot :)

1. It should show when you boot, unless you have the graphical boot logo. If you can't find it, you're correct reapplying won't hurt :)

2, 3. If you follow the guide your harddrive will be wiped clean. I haven't done any upgrades before as I don't have any good experience from it (Windows upgrading hell) If I were you I would backup important stuff and then do a clean install by following my guide.

Alright, tried your guide tonight and ran into a small problem. I don't have an 8GB flash drive OR an 8GB DVD...so I tried to use my external hard drive. I followed your guide EXACTLY (with the exception of using the external hard drive) and everything worked fine...to a certain point.

After I edited the BIOS settings according to your guide, I tried to boot from the external hard drive and it gave me some crazy error. The bootloader worked, but it never started the Snow Leopard installer. It gave me an error and told me to restart my computer. The error had a bunch of text on it, but one of the things is said was, "...Version mis-match between Kernal and CPU PM"@/SourceCache/...blah...blah"

EDIT: I've attached a picture of the contents on the external hard drive. Everything look good?

post-531557-1259218373_thumb.png

Any thoughts? I really appreciate the help man!

Thanks, my temps dropped from 60 to 40 idle (quad). :(

BTW are you using temperature monitor or different program?

Alright, tried your guide tonight and ran into a small problem. I don't have an 8GB flash drive OR an 8GB DVD...so I tried to use my external hard drive. I followed your guide EXACTLY (with the exception of using the external hard drive) and everything worked fine...to a certain point.

After I edited the BIOS settings according to your guide, I tried to boot from the external hard drive and it gave me some crazy error. The bootloader worked, but it never started the Snow Leopard installer. It gave me an error and told me to restart my computer. The error had a bunch of text on it, but one of the things is said was, "...Version mis-match between Kernal and CPU PM"@/SourceCache/...blah...blah"

EDIT: I've attached a picture of the contents on the external hard drive. Everything look good?

post-531557-1259218373_thumb.png

Any thoughts? I really appreciate the help man!

A quick fix is to delete "NullCPUPowerManagement.kext" and "SleepEnabler.kext" from the Extra folder.

I just noticed this problem. I will upload a new version soon.

A quick fix is to delete "NullCPUPowerManagement.kext" and "SleepEnabler.kext" from the Extra folder.

I just noticed this problem. I will upload a new version soon.

I've just updated the USB installer (GigabyteUSB.dmg) so this fix is no longer necessary when installing.

I'm not able to fix the CD installer at the moment as I don't have the necessary files on my notebook.

I will update the CD installer in the weekend.

Once again, you rock dude. Worked perfectly...now I'm going to try and update to 10.6.2 (wish me luck!)

EDIT: Updated to 10.6.2 with no problems! But I have a different problem...now when I try to boot from my Windows 7 hard drive, it says it can't start due to a recent hardware change...or something like that. I then tells me to repair, should I just repair using my Windows 7 install DVD?

Hello,

i have installed the 10.6 from snow leopard, works fine. but i can only the system start with boot-cd.

my first question:

is a new install a must have, or can the installer my ready system "updaten" so i can boot from hdd???

and my second question:

i can use the update to 10.6.2 without changes, when i use your installer?

What version of Snow are (were) you using when you added the kext?

I'm running 10.6.2 so I'm a bit reluctant to add the kext as I think I've heard it may cause problems - although if it does I guess I could connect it to my other hackintosh and delete the kext manualyl. My CPU is idling at around 50C (quad core).

Hi, I have a little problem with booting back into windows 7.

I have Win 7 installed on one drive, and purchased a separate HD for the Snow Leopard install.

Installed SL absolutely fine, with support for my GTX 260! which is awesome! :(

When attempting to boot back into Windows 7 it crashes and wants to run the "startup repair".

This is resolved by changing the BIOS settings for the sata/raid to disabled.

Will i have to change this setting every time i want to switch between WIN and OSX?

Thanks in advance! :)

Hi, I have a little problem with booting back into windows 7.

I have Win 7 installed on one drive, and purchased a separate HD for the Snow Leopard install.

Installed SL absolutely fine, with support for my GTX 260! which is awesome! :(

When attempting to boot back into Windows 7 it crashes and wants to run the "startup repair".

This is resolved by changing the BIOS settings for the sata/raid to disabled.

Will i have to change this setting every time i want to switch between WIN and OSX?

Thanks in advance! :)

Exact same problem!

I added the CPU kext to my extensions folder and my temperature dropped by around 5-10C. Everything working great.

Out of interest what is the point in adding the sleep kext? (as sleep is working fine)

Edit:

Sleep is actually not working.

So I have removed the kext as I prefer sleep to a cooler cpu. Mr Janet, you mentioned that you are now including both kexts in the new package - does that mean if I reinstall Snow using the new package I should have both kexts working perfectly?