Kakewalk: Minimal effort install (EP45, EX58, P55, G41)

mrjanek

3,658 posts in this topic

:D Ok, Got it refined to a art now. :D

Had to do my install with a standard vanilla 132 type :P , after install no graphics and sound, but able to update. Then installed just your boot loader part. :D All working 100% now :D .

A note on the Audio, by default it choose Build in Headphone, this is the front audio port, so if you have headphones or speaker conected to this port (from the green pins on MB) then audio work out of box.

Internal Speaker = the Green Port on the back panel, the standard normally used for speakers.

Line out = the Black port on the back panel

My thanks again to all the help from this guide.

PS: I still end up with a KP if I attempt a clean install following this guide, and would really like to know why :(

Should be able to update just fine.

Mr Janet, I think my post got a bit lost towards the bottom of the second page.

For those of us who installed SL with the older package (before the two kexts were added to reduce the temperture of the CPU) - would downloading the new files, extracting the two kexts, and putting them into the extensions work or would it cause a kernel panic?

Mr Janet, I think my post got a bit lost towards the bottom of the second page.

For those of us who installed SL with the older package (before the two kexts were added to reduce the temperture of the CPU) - would downloading the new files, extracting the two kexts, and putting them into the extensions work or would it cause a kernel panic?

I have removed these kexts from the package. They were causing lots of problems so I decided to ditch them.

You could put the kexts (NullCPUPowermanagement.kext and SleepEnabler.kext) in /Extra/Extensions and set the right permissions either by using the Terminal or using Kext Utility. If you decide to do this though, make sure you get the appropriate SleepEnabler.kext for your system (there's one for 10.6 & 10.6.1 and one for 10.6.2). If you get the wrong one you will be presented with a kernel panic screen :)

mrjanek, just want to add my thanks for your awesome installation package. Another success story here. I'm typing this on my new Hack Pro.

Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR

4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800

Intel Q6600

Nvidia 8800 GTS512

Asus SATA DVD-RAM

I'm hoping to install Logic Studio 9. Can you think of anything that would affect the smooth running of this? I will be using a USB 2.0 Audio Interface.

You're the MAN !! :rolleyes:

Christian

I have removed these kexts from the package. They were causing lots of problems so I decided to ditch them.

You could put the kexts (NullCPUPowermanagement.kext and SleepEnabler.kext) in /Extra/Extensions and set the right permissions either by using the Terminal or using Kext Utility. If you decide to do this though, make sure you get the appropriate SleepEnabler.kext for your system (there's one for 10.6 & 10.6.1 and one for 10.6.2). If you get the wrong one you will be presented with a kernel panic screen :D

Oh I see, sorry I thought you mentioned somewhere that you updated the old package with a newer package that contained the two kexts.

Netkas posted a version of the 10.6.2 sleepenabler on his site: http://netkas.org/?p=315

http://files.netkas.org/10.6.2/SleepEnabler.kext.zip

Do you think it is worth it to put in the NullCPU and SleepEnabler kext to reduce CPU temp or is there a risk that this will make the system unstable (e.g. kernel panics once a while, etc).

Out of interest does your OSX wake up from sleep if you move the mouse? Mine only wakes up if I press the power button (doesn't respond to key strokes/mouse movements) - could the sleepenabler kext fix this?

Does digital sound out work with this guide?

Yes. I have only tried the TOSLINK connector though I imagine the "RCA" one will work just as well.

Out of interest does your OSX wake up from sleep if you move the mouse? Mine only wakes up if I press the power button (doesn't respond to key strokes/mouse movements) - could the sleepenabler kext fix this?

I use the aluminum bluetooth keyboard from Apple and a Deathadder mouse. I'm not able to wake the system up with the keyboard but a mouse click wakes it up. I don't think adding SleepEnabler would solve the issue though.

hey there

i have the exact same motherboard as used in this guide but for some reason i cannot get sound to work (everything else works perfectly fine), but if i were to go into System Profiler and look under sound its saying that all my jacks and sound should be working perfectly fine, anyone with suggestions please leave a note cause i need sound!!!!

here is a pic so show what i mean....

picrs.png

Note: that this is on 10.6.0, i am about to go to 10.6.1 and 6.2 to see if anything happens but i doubt it

Thanks

hey there

i have the exact same motherboard as used in this guide but for some reason i cannot get sound to work (everything else works perfectly fine), but if i were to go into System Profiler and look under sound its saying that all my jacks and sound should be working perfectly fine, anyone with suggestions please leave a note cause i need sound!!!!

here is a pic so show what i mean....

picrs.png

Note: that this is on 10.6.0, i am about to go to 10.6.1 and 6.2 to see if anything happens but i doubt it

Thanks

Click the Output tab and then select the appropriate output (eg. Green analog jack = Internal Speakers)

Hi all, I have read every single post on this thread. I'm excited. I ordered my parts from NewEgg a couple days ago (before I discovered this thread). It just so happened that I ordered almost exactly what is spec'd for this build! The biggest exeption being the EP45T-UD3LR mobo, and the 9500GT VCard. This will be my first Hackintosh. Noob question.... Once I get everything up and running, will it run just like a Mac? I mean, say I want to add a webcam, a Firewire card or an audio card in a PCI slot. Would I buy the mac version, or get a PC version and have to run a hacked driver or KEXT? What about setting up a RAID? If I get the correct KEXTs in, what could Apple do that would break them (other than copy over them)? Sorry if this is totally basic stuff. Thanks to everybody that has made this an option. I just couldn't bring my self to spend $600+ for a Mac Mini when I could get so much more for the $$$ this way. Hopefully I won't regret my decision.

On it's way...

EP45T-UD3LR

Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83Ghz w/ 12MB L2Cache

NVidia 9500GT 1GB

Seagate Barracuda1.5 TB HD (Maybe I should have got a Western Digital Black?)

4GB Crucial Ballistix 1333 DDR3 RAM

Plextor PX880SA SATA DVD/CD Writer (second thoughts on this too, should I have got the Pioneer?)

OCZ Fatal1ty 550w Power Supply

Rosewill Wind Knight Case

Hi all, I have read every single post on this thread. I'm excited. I ordered my parts from NewEgg a couple days ago (before I discovered this thread). It just so happened that I ordered almost exactly what is spec'd for this build! The biggest exeption being the EP45T-UD3LR mobo, and the 9500GT VCard. This will be my first Hackintosh. Noob question.... Once I get everything up and running, will it run just like a Mac? I mean, say I want to add a webcam, a Firewire card or an audio card in a PCI slot. Would I buy the mac version, or get a PC version and have to run a hacked driver or KEXT? What about setting up a RAID? If I get the correct KEXTs in, what could Apple do that would break them (other than copy over them)? Sorry if this is totally basic stuff. Thanks to everybody that has made this an option. I just couldn't bring my self to spend $600+ for a Mac Mini when I could get so much more for the $$$ this way. Hopefully I won't regret my decision.

On it's way...

EP45T-UD3LR

Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83Ghz w/ 12MB L2Cache

NVidia 9500GT 1GB

Seagate Barracuda1.5 TB HD (Maybe I should have got a Western Digital Black?)

4GB Crucial Ballistix 1333 DDR3 RAM

Plextor PX880SA SATA DVD/CD Writer (second thoughts on this too, should I have got the Pioneer?)

OCZ Fatal1ty 550w Power Supply

Rosewill Wind Knight Case

When all is done your PC will work just like a Mac. You'll be amazed by how well it works :withstupid:

If the hardware you're adding is compatible with Mac OS X it should work right out of the box.

RAID is something I don't have any experience of at all. I would suggest searching for it, there's bound to be a solution for it.

Hi MrJanek,

I have two questions for you, please:

1) Would this method work with Snow Server?

2) Why on the HDD we must have only one partition to install the Snow OS? (What would be wrong with 2 + partitions GUID)

Thank you very much.

Mr.N.

sleep on 10.6.2 does not work. any ideas how to fix this?

it worked with 10.6 retail, the new sleep.kext from kexts for 10.6.2 did not help unfortunately.

best regards,

bert

Sleep works very well. There might be an application on your system that is keeping it from going to sleep.

I would suggest downloading and installing the app PleaseSleep.

1) Would this method work with Snow Server?

Haven't tried it but it's very likely.

2) Why on the HDD we must have only one partition to install the Snow OS? (What would be wrong with 2 + partitions GUID)

It's just an example. Most people will stick to one partition and in an effort to keeping the guide as simple as possible I only mentioned one way of doing it. The whole purpose of this guide/installer is to keep it as simple as possible.

Hi,

Thank you very much for your effort ! I ordered 6 render node for this installation.

I installed successfully, everything is working great!

I have a question, i really liked your USB installation system. I have another pc as a Mac pro and server,

here is specs,

TYAN S5396WA2NRF Motherboard

2 Intel Xeon E5420 Quad Core 2.5

16 Gb PC5400 Kingston FB-DIMM DDRII 667 MHZ

Nvidia Quadro Fx 3700

5 Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 S-ATA - 1000 Gb. (Members of RAID 10)

1 Sata DVD Writer

Blackmagic Design Intensity Card

Cooler Master Stacker 830 Evo Special Edition NVIDIA Case

I installed Snow Leopard using this guide

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/how-to-inst...-on-a-pc-t3137/

But it is difficult to install, i need a working system etc..

Everything is working great right now, but in future if i have to install again, i really want

to use your installation style. I have all working kexts etc.

Is there a way to adapt your guide to my system.

For example if i copy my kexts to your guides extra folder etc. ??

Thanks Again !!!

First of all, absolutely great turorial. Last week I installed SL on 2 PC's an it worked great.

Only on thing doesn't work perfectly. I have really slow transfer rates over ethernet. Anyone a tip how I could fix that? Or should I buy a seperate ethernet card?

thanks for your help

Great guide just gonna buy all the stuff just want confirmation before i part with my cash if its all gonna work 100%

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5GHz Socket 775 .....do i really need a quad core i may do HD recording from a tuner card also encode some video and mainly watch my HD DVD & Blu Ray collection all in full 1080p of course :)

PNY GT 220 1GB DDR2 DVI VGA HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card

Corsair 4Gb (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 XMS2 Memory CL5 (5-6-6-18) 2.1V

LG CH08LS10 Super Multi Blu-Ray Reader & DVD±RW with LightScribe SATA Black - OEM

Also LG GH22NS50 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM

CM Storm Scout Case + Coolermaster Silent Pro 500W Modular PSU Bundle is the 500w power supply enough i am gonna add another 4-5 hard drives and use it as a media center :wacko:

thanks in advance ;)

Great guide just gonna buy all the stuff just want confirmation before i part with my cash if its all gonna work 100%

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5GHz Socket 775 .....do i really need a quad core i may do HD recording from a tuner card also encode some video and mainly watch my HD DVD & Blu Ray collection all in full 1080p of course :P

That is exactly what I have and it works, but you could consider a dual core running a bit faster (for more or less the same price range) but I won't be able to tell you if the dual will perform better or not

Succesfully used this on my EP45T-UD3LR. (only thing is I don't know if its possible to get the system to use my ram at ddr3 1333mhz, if it shows up in about this mac as ddr2 800 does it mean thats what its being used as?)

This is just cosmetic, your memory is running at 1333MHz. If you want you can edit the file /Extra/smbios.plist to make it show the accurate speed.

Two more inquires, I noticed your awesome package boots snow leopard to the 64 bit kernel, (though i read somewhere that even in the 32 bit kernel SL will still run most of its programs in 64 bit)

Can I change it back to boot the 32 bit kernel, I think its a requirement in order to run virtualization software like Parallels, VMWare or Virtualbox.

Both VMWare Fusion 3 and Parallels Desktop 5 work in 64-bit. If you want a 32-bit system, open /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist in TextEdit and go to line 8. Change arch=x86_64 to arch=i386