Kakewalk: Minimal effort install (EP45, EX58, P55, G41)

mrjanek

3,658 posts in this topic

Oh hey man! lol... damn I guess I wasnt expecting such a quick response hahaha you solved both my troubles perfectly your answers were dead on lol unfortunately not before I searched all over the place and found them to hahaha. thanks man! your package is awesome!

P.S. Any ideas as to why I encountered those problems when trying to install SL to the first partition of my MBR HD?

Thanks a lot for the great help!!

Please find below my installation report and two open question reg. screen resolution change and getting rid of the message "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer".

Used the following hardware:

- GA-EP45-UD3LR

- Gainward Geforce 9500GT 1GB PCI passive cooling

- Core2Quad Q9550 4x2,83GHz

- 2 x Samsung HD103SJ 1TB SATA. Created one 500MB partition on one hard drive for leopard.

- DVD writer LG GH22NS50 SATA

- Monitor: IBM P260

- KVM Switch ATEN CS1734 Master View (I use it to switch USB keyboard, mouse and speakers between 3 PCs).

1. Burned Gigabyte BootCD. Booted. Inserted Leopard Retail DVD. First small problem was to start leopard installation - on the onscreen help was stated "insert leopard DVD, wait and press F5". F5 did not work, but pressing "Enter" worked. :-)

2. Install duration - appr. 30 Min.

3. After the install was done I rebooted and run in the problem: stuck after reload at "Verifying DMI Pool Data". I was not able to boot from the Gigabyte BootCD. Solution was: press F12 during reboot and select "cdrom". After this change I was able to boot the Gigabyte BootCD. I used "tab" to switch into text mode, selected my mac partition and installed the bootloader.

4. After leopard's reboot I get the message "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer". Not a show stopper, but something which is strange. How can I solve this problem??

5. Sound and LAN work fine. One open problem is: I cannot change the default screen resolution of 1152x864 at 85 Hertz. If I select for example 1280x1024 I get blue screen - only hardware reset is possible. How can I change my screen resolution??

Thanks again!!

Thanks a lot for the great help!!

Please find below my installation report and two open question reg. screen resolution change and getting rid of the message "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer".

Used the following hardware:

- GA-EP45-UD3LR

- Gainward Geforce 9500GT 1GB PCI passive cooling

- Core2Quad Q9550 4x2,83GHz

- 2 x Samsung HD103SJ 1TB SATA. Created one 500MB partition on one hard drive for leopard.

- DVD writer LG GH22NS50 SATA

- Monitor: IBM P260

- KVM Switch ATEN CS1734 Master View (I use it to switch USB keyboard, mouse and speakers between 3 PCs).

1. Burned Gigabyte BootCD. Booted. Inserted Leopard Retail DVD. First small problem was to start leopard installation - on the onscreen help was stated "insert leopard DVD, wait and press F5". F5 did not work, but pressing "Enter" worked. :-)

2. Install duration - appr. 30 Min.

3. After the install was done I rebooted and run in the problem: stuck after reload at "Verifying DMI Pool Data". I was not able to boot from the Gigabyte BootCD. Solution was: press F12 during reboot and select "cdrom". After this change I was able to boot the Gigabyte BootCD. I used "tab" to switch into text mode, selected my mac partition and installed the bootloader.

4. After leopard's reboot I get the message "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer". Not a show stopper, but something which is strange. How can I solve this problem??

5. Sound and LAN work fine. One open problem is: I cannot change the default screen resolution of 1152x864 at 85 Hertz. If I select for example 1280x1024 I get blue screen - only hardware reset is possible. How can I change my screen resolution??

Thanks again!!

The guide is for Snow Leopard. Are you trying to install Leopard or is it just a typo?

The guide is for Snow Leopard. Are you trying to install Leopard or is it just a typo?

Sorry, it is just a typo. Used Snow Leopard Retail DVD and upgraded later to 10.6.2 without any problems beside two points mentioned above.

Hints for the problems (especially with screen resolution) are very welcome! :-)

Sorry, it is just a typo. Used Snow Leopard Retail DVD and upgraded later to 10.6.2 without any problems beside two points mentioned above.

Hints for the problems (especially with screen resolution) are very welcome! :-)

Ah, ok then. Are you using a DVI or VGA? Try switching ports and then set the correct resolution.

Thanks again! The response time is fantastic!! :)

The solution to the screen resolution problem was indeed to switch from VGA (does not work) to DVI (works!). So I used an adapter from DVI to VGA and it works on the DVI port fine.

The only problem now is a strange message after reboot: "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer".

Thanks again! The response time is fantastic!! :)

The solution to the screen resolution problem was indeed to switch from VGA (does not work) to DVI (works!). So I used an adapter from DVI to VGA and it works on the DVI port fine.

The only problem now is a strange message after reboot: "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer".

Where do you get this message?

I turn PC on, snow leopard boots up. Then I get the message "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer". I can select "ignore", "eject" or I can start disk utility.

I do not have any discs in the DVD drive.

Could it be related to the fact, that I have two SATA hard disks and installed snow leopard on an partition of the first hard disk. The rest is empty. I do not yet formatted the second partition on the first disk and also do not formatted the second hard disk (will be later used for Windows 7).

I turn PC on, snow leopard boots up. Then I get the message "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer". I can select "ignore", "eject" or I can start disk utility.

I do not have any discs in the DVD drive.

Could it be related to the fact, that I have two SATA hard disks and installed snow leopard on an partition of the first hard disk. The rest is empty. I do not yet formatted the second partition on the first disk and also do not formatted the second hard disk (will be later used for Windows 7).

Aha, yes that seems very likely. Try formatting them and see if it goes away.

Great guide just gonna buy all the stuff just want confirmation before i part with my cash if its all gonna work 100%

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5GHz Socket 775 .....do i really need a quad core i may do HD recording from a tuner card also encode some video and mainly watch my HD DVD & Blu Ray collection all in full 1080p of course :P

PNY GT 220 1GB DDR2 DVI VGA HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card

Corsair 4Gb (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 XMS2 Memory CL5 (5-6-6-18) 2.1V

LG CH08LS10 Super Multi Blu-Ray Reader & DVD±RW with LightScribe SATA Black - OEM

Also LG GH22NS50 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM

CM Storm Scout Case + Coolermaster Silent Pro 500W Modular PSU Bundle is the 500w power supply enough i am gonna add another 4-5 hard drives and use it as a media center :(

thanks in advance :P

regarding my last post i want to use another 4-5 SATA hard drives in the future will i need to buy a bigger power supply than 500w to handle the GPU the CPU and the combo drive and a few more hard drives any advice on how to calc what 1 i will need :) ????

Hi. I got my machine together today. I am trying the CD install way. I updated my BIOS succesfully. I burned the disc image succesfully (from two different computers, 3 different drives, at the slowest speed). I set all BIOS settings (AHCI, CD first, etc..) When I boot with the BootCD, I get all kinds of EBIOS read errors (error 0x01). It eventually get to the screen with the directions. After the Boot disc spins down, I eject and put in the Snow Leopard disc, then.. nothing. I thought it was because I had too big of a HD (1.5TB), so I went and bought a second HD (1TB). I also tried moving the SATA cables to different ports on the MOBO. Same problem though.

My rig is:

Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR Mobo

Sparkle 1024MB Nvidia 9500 V. card

All Serial ATA drives (including DVD/RW)

Intel Core 2 Quad Proc.

4GB Ram

1TB Western Digital Caviar Black HD

1.5 GB Seagate HD (currently unhooked)

Texas Instruments Based Firewire card (on the way)

TIA for any help...

-Ben-

I have a mac, but it's old so it's running Tiger. I have an older P4 machine here with XP as well.

Worked perfectly for me, mrjanek, THANK YOU.

Just one thing: My wireless pci network card Asus wl-138g v2 is not recognized :( . I'm pretty sure it showed up as Airport when I installed Snow Leopard 64 bit on my Asus P5K board. Why is it not recognized on the Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR?

[sOLVED] Well, works now. Just switched the card to the other pci slot, believe it or not, that settled my problem with the WL-138g network card ..

right hoo, mrjanek :) Thanks for your effort!

I have one question about installing windows after successful installation of the snow leopard (thanks again for the great help!).

I have 2 SATA 1TB hard disks (see hardware specs on the page #13). Snow leopard is installed on the first hard drive in a 500 GB partition. Now, I see 2 ways for the win7 installation:

1. install windows 7 in the second partition of the first disk. (preferred to me, because I would like to use the second disk for data only).

2. Use the second hard disk.

My my concerns is: if I install into the second partition of the disc where snow leopard installed, win will kill the bootloader and I will be not able to boot snow leopard.

Your comments? Thanks!!

OK, I got myself an 8gb thumb drive and tried to install that way. I get to the verifying DMI Pool Data..... then it stops. I made sure I followed the directions exactly. Not sure what to try next...

Insert your thumb drive and go to BIOS. Change your boot priority so that your computer boots from the thumb drive.

Insert your thumb drive and go to BIOS. Change your boot priority so that your computer boots from the thumb drive.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, boot order is set correctly in BIOS. Just in case it was a hardware problem, I installed Ubuntu from a CD. That worked, can boot from HD into Ubuntu. Still can't get it to boot from thumb drive. Still hangs at "Verifying DMI Pool Data....."

I'm going to try creating a disc image of Ubuntu, restoring that to my thumb drive, and see if that boots. (just to check my thumb drive?)

Sleep problem, this time for real: I have enabled sleep fully, including puting hdds to sleep when possible.... Now, sometimes, not always, when my Samsung t220 goes to sleep, it wakes via mouse to a blank screen... Then I must press power button and cause the computer to go to full sleep by pressing the power button. Prior to sleeping i see my desktop for a split second. After waking by pressing pow. button again, i can continue to work?! Any help, This is kind of irritating :wacko:

Hi,

First of all thank you so much for this guide... i have installed osx86 many times on diferent machines but this guide is just so easy and everything is working out of box incl. soud nvidia,ethernet...everything...amazing...

Ok, i have problem with my graphics...

My card is XFX 9800GT 512MB DDR2... effects are working (but if i try to do effects in slowmotion they don't work as on Leopard...they feel much slower and slugish,so i thought my nvidia doesn't work with right driver or something like that)

If i wanna play game,it starts black screen,i can hear sound but no picture (my card have HDMI and DVI..monitor use DVI)..i tried to connect hdmi on TV but i lose mouse than on my monitor and will not startup with hdmi connected to TV...

How can i deactivate HDMI port completly so that only DVI is used ( i suspect that this is my problem)...or if you have any suggestions,please feel freee to heeeeeeellpppp meeee :unsure:

Best regards to all of you with special "thank you" to mrjanek for making installation of osx86 as easy as on real MAC.

As far as games are concerned, most of the games i downloaded via torrent (illegaly) started black screen. Flatout 2 started black screen as well, but i've found a proper crack and it works now. World Of Warcraft (Original of course) works splendid, better than on Windows. My card is 8800gts 512. I guess black screens will disappear if you try an original :unsure:

OK, found a work around. Using the CD install method. Using a PS2 keyboard (instead of my new apple extended USB keyboard), I was able to hit F5 and get the OSX installer going, even though I still got all those EBIOS errors. Tried unplugging/re-plugging the USB to get F5 to work, but no go...

P.S. - thanks to Dalilama for the PM's ;)

Im having an error Running Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR installer, Im using an update snow.

Is this guide for full installation CD only?

I've read from lifehacker on UD3P that we can also use update cd even though we'll be installating a fresh OS.

Please advise