Kakewalk: Minimal effort install (EP45, EX58, P55, G41)

mrjanek

3,658 posts in this topic

@mrjanek

Thanks for guide!

Installed, everything working fine.

Just one quick question: do i just hit software update and update to 10.6.2 or do something before i update.

Also i installed snow kitty on monday so i think i was using old package.

Once again thanks for your work.

Jura.

@Dudes with Win 7 problems:

Ur Win 7 wont boot 'cause u enabled AHCI in order to run SnowLeo :) To make it boot, disable AHCI in Bios for a moment and enter Windows 7 regularly.When safely in Win do the following:

Exit all Windows-based programs.

Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.

Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesMsahci

In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.

In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.

On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

After this you’ll have to restart your computer, go to BIOS and enable AHCI again one last time. When you log in to Windows again, you’ll notice the installation of drivers for AHCI. Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.

Done :P

In my case sleep doesnt work with nullcpu. And if you add sleep kext you get a kp. I rather have working sleep than cooler cpu.

Aha, I noticed the exact same problem.

Would be nice to get it sorted out but at the moment I prefer sleep to a 10C cooler CPU too.

Well, i somehow prefer a 15c cooler Cpu. I dont care about sleep in Win 7, let alone in SL. In fact, one of the first things i do when installing os x or Win is turn off power management. I dont like the idea of my hdds and cpu turning off and on every 10 minutes... It only stresses the components....especally overclocked and overvolted systems...

@Dudes with Win 7 problems:

Ur Win 7 wont boot 'cause u enabled AHCI in order to run SnowLeo :D To make it boot, disable AHCI in Bios for a moment and enter Windows 7 regularly.When safely in Win do the following:

Exit all Windows-based programs.

Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.

Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesMsahci

In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.

In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.

On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

After this you’ll have to restart your computer, go to BIOS and enable AHCI again one last time. When you log in to Windows again, you’ll notice the installation of drivers for AHCI. Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.

Done :D

Worked like a charm. Thanks man!

Hi and 1st off thanks for a excellent guide.

Ok I have a EP45-UD3LR (F7) and Q8300 (Quad 2.5GHz) with 4GB Kingston and Nvidia 6600GT

I used Both Methods for installing from Retail 10.6. With the USB Drive CPU=Unknown, But with CD it is seen as Intel (Something 2.53GHz) Xeon ;)

From the Flash drive it worked fine, until I do a Update and reboot. Same for the CD.

Reboots fine until the Desktop appears, then Kernal Panic :)

Ok so I decide NOT to update .... Redo full install, all works fine, but ONLY if I boot of the CD. When I attempt to install the boot loader to the HDD then I get Kernel Panic Just after white screen with apple logo.

Also i have Noticed the errors while booting from the CD, seems to be when loading the Preboot, but it passes after some retries. (I have burned 4 CD's already, different Drives both SATA and IDE and low speed 4x)

I also tried to install other boot loaders, but the also give me problems, and yours was the only one where both sound and Ethernet works from start. I have also played with settings in the Bios .... No Luck.

So in short, what is the Difference between the USB and CD Methods, and what am I doing Wrong that the Bootloder from the CD breaks my install, But if i keep booting from CD all is well ....btw if I install the Boot loader on HDD then I can't boot from the CD any more ....same Error

Thank you mrjanek.

For those of you wondering, this worked perfectly on the EP45-UD3L.

The only issue I had was using my ATI HD 4850 graphics card, to solve this, I installed the OS in safe mode (type -x when on chameleon boot screen) then installed drivers from http://netkas.org/ Everything worked fine on restart.

My System Profiler is showing my Processor speed as 2.07GHz where it is actually 3.16 GHz, Is this just cosmetic or is my CPU running slow?

MrJanek Thanks for your guide and your work on this. Just installed and upgraded to 10.6.1 using your method on a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L with a e5300 (overclocked to 3.5ghz) and a ATI Radeon 4850 - it worked without a hitch. Full 64 bit and full QE/CI is working properly. Audio Works. Network Works. Sleep/Resume Seems to work too. System Scores a 210 on xbench which is not bad for a ~$500 system.

I owe you a 12 pack of beer which I would be happy to provide if youre ever in the Ann Arbor Area. ;)

-SpittenSparken

Ok, just uploaded the fixed CD installer ISO. Hopefully this one works better.

Use the link in the first post.

Will test it as soon as I get home .... still a few hours at work :(

I did reinstall 3 times last night .... but always when I install the HDD Boot loader then I run into the problems ;)

When booting from the CD all works fine but only if I don't update. Once I update, I run straight into a KP. Have you any idea why this might be ? Also I notice on the drive I have the install, there is no "Extra" folder, is this correct, or should there be one, and if so, what should be in this folder ?

I did also did a 132 type install on a separate drive, This worked ok, except my Graphics, and also no sound. This worked somewhat, and I could do update without problems and install boot loader on HDD, but still had no Full Graphics or sound. Have you maybe the files for the "Extra" folder that is needed for the UD3LR ?

Hi,

thanks so much for this installer. Very easy to use and works perfectly.

However, just two weeks ago I used the installer method from lifehack (this is all on my wifes Hackintosh). This also works great - but no matter what I tried, Audio did not work. With this guide, Audio worked from the beginning. Great.

So here is the challenge. I have installed so much software on her Mac and my wife started to work and customize her system, so I hesitate to do a fresh install on her Hackintosh. Any idea on what I need to do to copy the necessary files on her Mac? I have already tried to copy this "Extra" folder to her systems partition, but sound will not work.

Any idea?

Bernhard

Will test it as soon as I get home .... still a few hours at work :(

I did reinstall 3 times last night .... but always when I install the HDD Boot loader then I run into the problems ;)

When booting from the CD all works fine but only if I don't update. Once I update, I run straight into a KP. Have you any idea why this might be ? Also I notice on the drive I have the install, there is no "Extra" folder, is this correct, or should there be one, and if so, what should be in this folder ?

I did also did a 132 type install on a separate drive, This worked ok, except my Graphics, and also no sound. This worked somewhat, and I could do update without problems and install boot loader on HDD, but still had no Full Graphics or sound. Have you maybe the files for the "Extra" folder that is needed for the UD3LR ?

The kernel panic was caused by SleepEnabler.kext. This is fixed in the new version and it should work just fine.

Hi,

thanks so much for this installer. Very easy to use and works perfectly.

However, just two weeks ago I used the installer method from lifehack (this is all on my wifes Hackintosh). This also works great - but no matter what I tried, Audio did not work. With this guide, Audio worked from the beginning. Great.

So here is the challenge. I have installed so much software on her Mac and my wife started to work and customize her system, so I hesitate to do a fresh install on her Hackintosh. Any idea on what I need to do to copy the necessary files on her Mac? I have already tried to copy this "Extra" folder to her systems partition, but sound will not work.

Any idea?

Bernhard

In the Extra folder there are two specific files that makes audio work - DSDT.aml and LegacyHDA.kext

If both are present, then audio should work. Also make sure you've selected Internal Speakers in System Preferences -> Sound -> Output.

In the Extra folder there are two specific files that makes audio work - DSDT.aml and LegacyHDA.kext

If both are present, then audio should work. Also make sure you've selected Internal Speakers in System Preferences -> Sound -> Output.

Hmm, I had copied both files and I verified them - but in System Preferences -> Sound -> Output everything is still grayed out. Is there any way of telling OS X to "re-scan" the hardware? I have now two installations on my hackintosh. If I boot from your installation everything is fine; if I boot just a minute later from the Lifehack installation - there is no device to select from.

:-(

Regards Bernhard

Would anyone like a disc based installation guide?

Maybe I should have read ALL the post 1st :(

I'm 1st going to try the "fixed" cd as per posts above, but if that fails, I might be interested in this. Personally I would have liked to install a boot loader on the HDD 1st, with a partition that have the install DVD restored on it (in stead of a USB key drive)

Is there any way to get this working for those of us who used the old install files or would we need to format and reinstall?

I have the same question. If the sleepenabler is now working, it means that we can use nullcpu.kext with working sleep. Correct me if I am wrong.

Do we have to just reinstall the gigabyte package?

Ok, just uploaded the fixed CD installer ISO. Hopefully this one works better.

Use the link in the first post.

Just want to ask again, u might not seen my post...

------------------------

@mrjanek

Thanks for guide!

Just one quick question: do i just hit software update and update to 10.6.2 or do something before i update.

Jura.

Just want to ask again, u might not seen my post...

------------------------

@mrjanek

Thanks for guide!

Jura.

Should be able to update just fine.

Ok so got home, and decided to rip out the one spare drive from my G5, re-downloaded all from 1st post (to make sure it's recent) and started from scratch :wacko:

New image from DVD (Retail 10.6)

Partition Flash Voyger GT (8GB)

Restore to GT

Install "USB install"

Removed every possible extra piece of hardware that could cause a problem, ending up with only the following :

EP45-UD3LR (F7 Bios)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5Ghz

4Gb A Data DDR2 800 (2x2GB in Yellow slots)

80.03 GB ST380013AS

GeForce 6600 GT 128 MB

Jeantech Arctic JN120F-600AP12V2 PSU (600W)

HP w2207h Display

Did a factory default and all settings in Bios as per Guide

Install 100% and working, able to boot of HDD no problems as before. All working 100% (Sleep/Wake, Audio, Lan, Display 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz)

So time for Software update :angel:

:blink::blink::blink::(:blink::blink::blink:

All goes well, reboots ..... boot loader loads ...... White apple screen and timer ...... blue screen comes up ...... desktop and mouse cursor appears .... mouse responds .... dock loads ......KP :(

Power off, and back on, boot with -v ..... same

Power off/on boot -f .... same

Power off/on boot -x -v -f ..... a this works :blink: good time to repair disk permissions ... error on one file. -_-

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Retry booting normal again KP.

Reconnect my other drive and boot to the 1st install (wow now I can do that without the cd !!)

Decided to grab a cold beer, and post this in the hope there might be something I'm doing wrong !!!!

Ok so got home, and decided to rip out the one spare drive from my G5, re-downloaded all from 1st post (to make sure it's recent) and started from scratch :wacko:

New image from DVD (Retail 10.6)

Partition Flash Voyger GT (8GB)

Restore to GT

Install "USB install"

Removed every possible extra piece of hardware that could cause a problem, ending up with only the following :

EP45-UD3LR (F7 Bios)

Core�„� 2 Quad Q8300 2.5Ghz

4Gb A Data DDR2 800 (2x2GB in Yellow slots)

80.03 GB ST380013AS

GeForce 6600 GT 128 MB

Jeantech Arctic JN120F-600AP12V2 PSU (600W)

HP w2207h Display

Did a factory default and all settings in Bios as per Guide

Install 100% and working, able to boot of HDD no problems as before. All working 100% (Sleep/Wake, Audio, Lan, Display 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz)

So time for Software update :angel:

:blink::blink::blink::(:blink::blink::blink:

All goes well, reboots ..... boot loader loads ...... White apple screen and timer ...... blue screen comes up ...... desktop and mouse cursor appears .... mouse responds .... dock loads ......KP :(

Power off, and back on, boot with -v ..... same

Power off/on boot -f .... same

Power off/on boot -x -v -f ..... a this works :blink: good time to repair disk permissions ... error on one file. -_-

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Retry booting normal again KP.

Reconnect my other drive and boot to the 1st install (wow now I can do that without the cd !!)

Decided to grab a cold beer, and post this in the hope there might be something I'm doing wrong !!!!

Could you upload a screen of the kernel panic or tell me what it shows?

Could you upload a screen of the kernel panic or tell me what it shows?

That's the problem, no output, just the darken screen, and the box stating hold power button for 4 second in 20 languages :( Even with -v still have no output. Is there maybe a log file that i can get from the drive ?

Edit: Ok I send you some logs with PM

Edit 2: Got one working with all. basic vanilla install, with nothing working, updated all, then applied all the fixes. Strange, I have now 3 installs on here, can boot from HDD, one is updated and crash, next one updated and works 100% and last one ... well I'm scared to update it.

Strange to me as my hardware is specified above and should be fairly normal with this guide.