Kakewalk: Minimal effort install (EP45, EX58, P55, G41)

mrjanek

3,658 posts in this topic

Great tutorial! I reinstalled Snow Leo using this tutorial as it wasn't working very well (slow startup time) with the previous tutorial I followed. I've installed a lot of different stuff to test it (printer drivers, virtual box w7, iplayer, tc) and everything works; updated to 10.6.2 - sleep even works!

I have a few questions about this install:

1) When I verify permissions or even repair permissions using disk util, it gives me a number of errors (something like X has been changed and cannot be repaired) - however everything seems to be working fine. Is this is purely cosmetic or is there a deeper problem?

2) I tried installing the drivers for my wifi dongle (r8187L) however they didn't' work. So I booted into snow leo with arch=i386 (thinking that maybe the drivers were old and wouldn't work on 64bit) and it recognised my wifi dongle however gave me a kernel panic.

Do you think there is a problem with my install or with the drivers for this dongle (alfa 500mwusb - rtl8187l chipset)

3) Is it a good idea to backup the kernel using osx86 tools? I have a feeling that as everything is working fine I don't want to ever update it incase it screws it up...

Thanks again.

Great tutorial! I reinstalled Snow Leo using this tutorial as it wasn't working very well (slow startup time) with the previous tutorial I followed. I've installed a lot of different stuff to test it (printer drivers, virtual box w7, iplayer, tc) and everything works; updated to 10.6.2 - sleep even works!

I have a few questions about this install:

1) When I verify permissions or even repair permissions using disk util, it gives me a number of errors (something like X has been changed and cannot be repaired) - however everything seems to be working fine. Is this is purely cosmetic or is there a deeper problem?

2) I tried installing the drivers for my wifi dongle (r8187L) however they didn't' work. So I booted into snow leo with arch=i386 (thinking that maybe the drivers were old and wouldn't work on 64bit) and it recognised my wifi dongle however gave me a kernel panic.

Do you think there is a problem with my install or with the drivers for this dongle (alfa 500mwusb - rtl8187l chipset)

3) Is it a good idea to backup the kernel using osx86 tools? I have a feeling that as everything is working fine I don't want to ever update it incase it screws it up...

Thanks again.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it :(

1. Could you post the output disk utility gives you?

2. This is most likely a driver issue.

3. I don't think there's any need in backing up the kernel. You'll be fine :(

meh, they're basically the same, only that the EP45T has DDR3.... and i figured out that i had my display connected to the slave port on my GTX 280. So this guide worked flawlessly on my EP45T. Congrats and thanks buddy!

EDIT: Actually the audio is effed... so i'll be working on that...

The EP45T uses the ALC888 chipset instead of the ALC889. Lots of solutions but this one works...

[solved!] Lost Sound Output

Will this work fine with the GA-EP45-UD3L?

As far as I can see the only difference between them is the onboard RAID.

My other option is the GA-EP45T-UD3LR.

I used it with the EP45T-UD3LR, and it worked great. Identical to the EP45 except for the DDR3. Others in this thread have done the same. Only issue after this install was Bonjour, and fixed that with the extension here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181133

Your power supply might be a touch light for that build, but probably okay. Also, make sure to update to the F6b firmware if you use that board, it cuts BIOS scan times with AHCI to a few seconds, from up to 30. And boot from a SATA drive, IDE is fine to use to boot Ubuntu if you want to dual boot (haven't tried windows 7).

I've just uploaded the CD/DVD installl guide.

Check the first post for a link.

Excellent job, thanks so much, man! ;) I've tried to make a boot CD and tested several I found on the Net but they never worked. When I entirely gave up hope I came back to the forum and saw that there is another comment of yours. The install from the retail DVD is a bit jerky but it must be because the optical drive isn't a SATA one.

I have just one question about the boot CD: it writes a long error list before the graphical installer load. Is it normal? Does the error list have any function?

Thanks again!

Excellent job, thanks so much, man! ;) I've tried to make a boot CD and tested several I found on the Net but they never worked. When I entirely gave up hope I came back to the forum and saw that there is another comment of yours. The install from the retail DVD is a bit jerky but it must be because the optical drive isn't a SATA one.

I have just one question about the boot CD: it writes a long error list before the graphical installer load. Is it normal? Does the error list have any function?

Thanks again!

Hmm.. It shouldn't produce any errors.

What kind of errors are they? Does the installer start?

Hmm.. It shouldn't produce any errors.

What kind of errors are they? Does the installer start?

"EBIOS read error. Error 0x32

Block oxaf OC

EBIOS read error. Error 0x32

Block oxaf 14"

I'm not sure I recall it perfectly (BTW how can I save/copy that sreen?)

It sends this kind of error message than the installer starts.

Block oxaf OC

Block oxaf 14"

That doesn't seem right..

But it continues and lets you install?

That doesn't seem right..

But it continues and lets you install?

The install continues and lets me install. I'm thinking on two things: 1. could it be a wrong BIOS setting? (though I checked what you wrote in the guide) or 2. processor overclock 2.9 - 3.2 Ghz?

PS: I like your avatar :D

I am getting low read and write speed with USB devices :( Any ideas? My Usb seems to be stuck at 1.1. For example, a 4.5Gb movie is copied in 6 minutes. The same file takes Windows 7 under 2 minutes? Is there any thing I can try?! Any advice appreciated? I have Gigabyte P45 UD3LR and did everything accordingly. No other issues but the low USB speed!!

I installed iStats and it is giving me a temperature of around 80C for my Q6600 cores. Is this a bit weird? I have ordered some paste off ebay and will reapply it along with the fan over the weekend - although I am not sure if it is a software error rather than the CPU running too hot.

Would be interested to see what kind of core temperature others are getting with iStats.

I was wondering whether Eist, Enhanced speedstep and the rest downclocking stuff work in SL? I keep my e7200 overclocked nicely @4ghz for everyday, so it would be nice if those things worked?! I've read in another Vanilla install to keep those things off, so, since this is Vanilla as well, what's the situation here?

I was wondering whether Eist, Enhanced speedstep and the rest downclocking stuff work in SL? I keep my e7200 overclocked nicely @4ghz for everyday, so it would be nice if those things worked?! I've read in another Vanilla install to keep those things off, so, since this is Vanilla as well, what's the situation here?

This can be done but as this hack is specific to each processor it's not included in the installer. I'm sure you'll find a thread here on the forum. It requires you to edit the DSDT.aml file, so it would require a bit of hacking.

I installed iStats and it is giving me a temperature of around 80C for my Q6600 cores. Is this a bit weird? I have ordered some paste off ebay and will reapply it along with the fan over the weekend - although I am not sure if it is a software error rather than the CPU running too hot.

Would be interested to see what kind of core temperature others are getting with iStats.

Without "NullCPUPowerManagement.kext" and "SleepEnabler.kext" your CPU will run approximately 10C degrees hotter.

You can resolve the heat issue by installing said kexts to "/Extra/Extensions". You'll find them here.

This can be done but as this hack is specific to each processor it's not included in the installer. I'm sure you'll find a thread here on the forum. It requires you to edit the DSDT.aml file, so it would require a bit of hacking.

Without "NullCPUPowerManagement.kext" and "SleepEnabler.kext" your CPU will run approximately 10C degrees hotter.

You can resolve the heat issue by installing said kexts to "/Extra/Extensions". You'll find them here.

Once again thanks for you reply.

With the new fan it is running at around 50C. Is there a risk of messing anything up by adding in those two kexts? (e.g. on future updates). I'm really happy with the system at the moment and reluctant to change anything lol. :)

Once again thanks for you reply.

With the new fan it is running at around 50C. Is there a risk of messing anything up by adding in those two kexts? (e.g. on future updates). I'm really happy with the system at the moment and reluctant to change anything lol. :P

Well, considering that the previous version of "SleepEnabler.kext" broke the update to 10.6.2.. :)

The only other difference is the +- 10C degrees.

Block oxaf OC

Block oxaf 14"

I get a similar error, can't figure out why I'm not able to get past this.

EBIOS read error: Error 0x04

Block 0xaf0c Sectors 0

Do you have an IDE DVD reader? When I tried with an IDE device before I got my SATA DVD I got this kind of error

No, I'm using a Samsung SH-S203B/BEBN, SATA DVDRW 22X. I did however purchase it from ebay & it has been sitting for some time since I have not put the box together until this last weekend. Think it could be defective drive? I'll try another SATA DVD drive later today when I get home.

I get a similar error, can't figure out why I'm not able to get past this.

EBIOS read error: Error 0x04

Block 0xaf0c Sectors 0

It did the same thing to me, but i was able to install anyways, and i now have a working hackintosh thanks to mrjanek. :-) and i did the upgrade to 10.6.2 w/o issue. Note: i kept getting panics trying the USB method, but coulda just been it didn't like doing it all off my 8G kingston, but oh well. (btw.. i have an EP45-UD3L (no R))..