[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

Does somebody know how to adjust the fan speed by DSDT? The problem is that my GPU temp cycles between 60°C and 73°C when I undervolt my CPU. It seems that the fan speed depends on the processor temperature. So I want to set the minimum fan speed a bit higher to get rid of the temperature cycle.

Is the fix of "DSDT" (don't know yet what it is) is compatible with a 10.6.3 OS on a Dell XPS M1530 ?

Thanks !

@talisman : looks like I have a PC almost like yours :

maybe you could help for my wifi pb ?

Dell XPS M1530

Wifi: Intel 3945 (not working)

Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 (2.5 GHz 6M L2 800MHz FSB)

Intel HDA / Sigmatel 9228

4096 MB RAMMarvell Yukon 88E8040

256 MB NVIDIA GForce 8600M GT

Dell Bluetooth (355 EDR ?)

BluRay writer Mat{censored}a BD-RE UJ-225S

300 GB 7200 HD

OS: Mac OS X 10.6.3 (MyHackInstaller 1.1)/ Windows 7 Home/Dell Media Direct

(and using various Linux Ubuntu/Gentoo/Debian in virtual box)

Is the fix of "DSDT" (don't know yet what it is) is compatible with a 10.6.3 OS on a Dell XPS M1530 ?

Thanks !

@talisman : looks like I have a PC almost like yours :

maybe you could help for my wifi pb ?

Dell XPS M1530

Wifi: Intel 3945 (not working)

Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 (2.5 GHz 6M L2 800MHz FSB)

Intel HDA / Sigmatel 9228

4096 MB RAMMarvell Yukon 88E8040

256 MB NVIDIA GForce 8600M GT

Dell Bluetooth (355 EDR ?)

BluRay writer Mat{censored}a BD-RE UJ-225S

300 GB 7200 HD

OS: Mac OS X 10.6.3 (MyHackInstaller 1.1)/ Windows 7 Home/Dell Media Direct

(and using various Linux Ubuntu/Gentoo/Debian in virtual box)

Yes, and 10.6.0 and 10.6.1 and 10.6.2 and 10.6.4. The dsdt fix is pretty much independent of releases, though there were some initial troubles moving from Leopard to Snow Leopard, I believe what's been done for SL is backward compatible.

As I noted in a response to you on MacGirl's thread, you are best off replacing that intel Wifi module with a Dell TruMobile 1505. It is a cheap and %100 compatible solution.

Yes, and 10.6.0 and 10.6.1 and 10.6.2 and 10.6.4. The dsdt fix is pretty much independent of releases, though there were some initial troubles moving from Leopard to Snow Leopard, I believe what's been done for SL is backward compatible.

As I noted in a response to you on MacGirl's thread, you are best off replacing that intel Wifi module with a Dell TruMobile 1505. It is a cheap and %100 compatible solution.

One caveat to mention though. Attaching to an HDMI monitor (or TV) only works in 10.6.2 and lower. If anyone finds a solution to this please share! I'm using 10.6.4 with VGA connection (my monitor has no DVI connector)

Immo

One caveat to mention though. Attaching to an HDMI monitor (or TV) only works in 10.6.2 and lower. If anyone finds a solution to this please share! I'm using 10.6.4 with VGA connection (my monitor has no DVI connector)

Immo

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231783

Hello, my XPS m1530 comes with 8600m. and the link above claims that he can get every output working for the 8600m, maybe you can ask him how he has achieved. I think what he did was V-rom editing as well as Graphic injection via DSDT mod.

Goodluck let me know if you have success

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231783

Hello, my XPS m1530 comes with 8600m. and the link above claims that he can get every output working for the 8600m, maybe you can ask him how he has achieved. I think what he did was V-rom editing as well as Graphic injection via DSDT mod.

Goodluck let me know if you have success

I've got a XPS M1330 which comes with an 8400M GS and no Mac ever came with an 8400M card unfortunately. I've also tried to see if I could dump the vbios in the M1330 to see if I could hack it and it turns out that there is no dedicated VBIOS in the M1330, so I cannot dump it. It's probably integrated into the main bios or another chip. Curious to know if it works for you M1530 people though!

Immo

At the end of the day, persistence and tenacity pays off.

I combined elements of the tutorial here with this one and this one. USB and Bluetooth still refused to work even with the patched DSDT, but I found another solution in a patched IOPCIFamily.kext. I now have an M4400 with working shutdown, restart, sleep, and fully-functional USB and Bluetooth.

My next mission will be to patch SSDT to enable C-states. Since removing NullCPUPowerManagement.kext my machine IS running quite a bit hotter, so if I can get proper power stepping re-enabled that will be one of the last pieces to the puzzle.

Hi CalaverX11!

I have recentcly got a dell precision m6500 and I was wondering if your DSDT would work for my machine!

I would like to give it a try and if not, start making a DSDT for my laptop!

Would you be so kind to share your kexts and the DSDT? It may work!

Thanks!

R

@immo,

I am curious if you were ever able to fix the USB FLash Drive Removal Error from wake?

My new laptop Asus G51JX also suffers from that phenomena and there is nothing I can do to fix it.

Funny thing the LPC SMC loads perfectly though.

I have a Latitude D830 which is the equivalent Inspiron XPS M1330.

The MB and chipsets are identical, thus the DSDT's are 100% identical and the Graphics cards are the same. I will see if I can come up with something for the Vbios question you had.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner on the AppleSpin wheel. I never installed that kext nor application.

I had interent issues right after MBP 1.3 Update.

Thanks

@immo,

I am curious if you were ever able to fix the USB FLash Drive Removal Error from wake?

My new laptop Asus G51JX also suffers from that phenomena and there is nothing I can do to fix it.

Funny thing the LPC SMC loads perfectly though.

I have a Latitude D830 which is the equivalent Inspiron XPS M1330.

The MB and chipsets are identical, thus the DSDT's are 100% identical and the Graphics cards are the same. I will see if I can come up with something for the Vbios question you had.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner on the AppleSpin wheel. I never installed that kext nor application.

I had interent issues right after MBP 1.3 Update.

Thanks

Unfortunately no about the USB safe removal issue. If I'm not mistaken I think I have seen it work on occasion when plugged directly to the computer (no hub), but generally no. Curious to know about the video issue, especially if you are able to dump the vbios on that. I was looking online and found a site that hosted tons of VBIOS files, but the only 8400M GS one there was for an Acer computer...

Immo

Just to save someone time of trying it, I tried installing the new 27" LED display update to see if it would help the HDMI issue and it didn't help. Also it installed a new AppleHDA.kext that had to be removed.

Immo

Just to save someone time of trying it, I tried installing the new 27" LED display update to see if it would help the HDMI issue and it didn't help. Also it installed a new AppleHDA.kext that had to be removed.

Immo

The post below seems to be an alternative solution if you couln't find the 8400GS Vrom. Please follow Idoc's post as well as others. From what i understood is that he extract the working Vbios under 10.6.1 with IOReg then injected it into the NVenabler.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...4129&st=220

The post below seems to be an alternative solution if you couln't find the 8400GS Vrom. Please follow Idoc's post as well as others. From what i understood is that he extract the working Vbios under 10.6.1 with IOReg then injected it into the NVenabler.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...4129&st=220

Quite curious to try this one out. Thanks for the tip. I tried the NVEnabler without doing the dump (apparently that works with some cards) and it just gave me a black screen, so I'll have to find the time to roll back the system to 10.6.2 (the last that worked for me) to do the dump.

hey everyone, thanks to many posts in this thread and on this forum I have my M1530 working pretty flawlessly with 10.6.4. I am having one slight issue though, which I am hoping someone might be able to help with. I have been trying to hook up my M1530 to an external display using an HDMI to DVI converter. Everything works fine, but I would like to be able to have the display mirrored on both the laptop and external monitor. Currently, when I close the lid on the M1530, the system goes to sleep (and will do so regardless of whether I start the machine up cold with the lid closed, or if I close it after hooking up the external display.)

Currently, the only way I can have the external working properly is by turning off mirroring, that way I can utilize the full resolution (1920x1080). This is a problem though because then the menu bar won't display on the external. Otherwise, with mirroring on, the external resolution is compressed into letter-box. Any thoughts/tips/ideas?

hey everyone, thanks to many posts in this thread and on this forum I have my M1530 working pretty flawlessly with 10.6.4. I am having one slight issue though, which I am hoping someone might be able to help with. I have been trying to hook up my M1530 to an external display using an HDMI to DVI converter. Everything works fine, but I would like to be able to have the display mirrored on both the laptop and external monitor. Currently, when I close the lid on the M1530, the system goes to sleep (and will do so regardless of whether I start the machine up cold with the lid closed, or if I close it after hooking up the external display.)

Currently, the only way I can have the external working properly is by turning off mirroring, that way I can utilize the full resolution (1920x1080). This is a problem though because then the menu bar won't display on the external. Otherwise, with mirroring on, the external resolution is compressed into letter-box. Any thoughts/tips/ideas?

I don't use external monitor and I can't really tell you how to solve your problem but if you want menubar to appear on the second monitor as well then you may want to look at this app. I hope it helps.

You can make the menu work on the second monitor by clicking Displays in Settings, click Arrangement, and drag the menu from the laptop display to the external one. You can also drag the monitors around to decide where they are relative to each other. I have mirroring off, put the menu on the external monitor, and put the external monitor on the left. The dock will appear on the same monitor as the menu. Note real mac books behave the exact same way. Unlike Windows, you can't disable the laptop display without a third party app. But with the setup I described I don't mind that the laptop screen is always on. I just dim it when I'm not using it. It's better for heat to have the laptop open anyways.

Immo

You can make the menu work on the second monitor by clicking Displays in Settings, click Arrangement, and drag the menu from the laptop display to the external one. You can also drag the monitors around to decide where they are relative to each other. I have mirroring off, put the menu on the external monitor, and put the external monitor on the left. The dock will appear on the same monitor as the menu. Note real mac books behave the exact same way. Unlike Windows, you can't disable the laptop display without a third party app. But with the setup I described I don't mind that the laptop screen is always on. I just dim it when I'm not using it. It's better for heat to have the laptop open anyways.

Immo

Immo,

Very cool to hear, I'm at the office now but I will definitely give that a try when I get home. I also wouldn't mind having the display on the laptop running, so long as I can use the external as my primary display. Thanks for the tips.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

I would not recommend taking an unmodified GPU rom of an MacBook Pro 3,1. Dell adjusted the clock rates of GPU and graphics memory and may even reduced the voltages. So the mbp3,1 rom may damage the 8600m GT, especially because of the nVidia bug which occurs more frequently when there is a high temperature cycle produced by higher voltages.

Hello,

I'm new to Mac OS world but I'm currently trying to install it on my Dell M1330 (with 8400GS, Intel T9300).

I've installed iATKOS v3 s2.

Currently my touchpad,keyboard,sound work. But not my 8400gs (stuck at 1024x768).

So I added DSDT.aml and put it in Extra folder, but nothing change.

After, I added this following keys in my com.apple.Boot.plist :

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x800x32</string>

<key>Kenerl Flags</key>

<string>-x32 arch=i386</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

But it's not working (still boot at 1024x768)...

What I can do ? sorry, if it's a dumb question, I read a lot of topics of this forum but can't get my computer to work properly...

Thanks by adance,

Lily

[edit] finally got it to work, I edited the wrong "com.apple.Boot.plist"

I would not recommend taking an unmodified GPU rom of an MacBook Pro 3,1. Dell adjusted the clock rates of GPU and graphics memory and may even reduced the voltages. So the mbp3,1 rom may damage the 8600m GT, especially because of the nVidia bug which occurs more frequently when there is a high temperature cycle produced by higher voltages.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=234452

You can use NBitor to adjust the clocks the same if they are different (and to read if they are different in the first place). Since I have an M1330 I can't try this myself.

Perhaps someone else can and then post if the clocks are the same or not. My guess is that they will be the same, as the clocks are an important part of the product code, and a down-clocked 8600M GT would no longer really be a 8600M GT.

Immo

So I've got an M1530 using the ANYCPU DSDT (4/12). I decided to update to chameleon RC5 to use native P/C states but coolbook is reporting the clockspeed at 600MHz all the time. And the computer is much more sluggish.

Added the generateP/CStates flags to the com.apple.Boot.plist

Got these errors on -v if it helps

Failed to read bios
SuperIO: MCHBAR failed to MAP

Any ideas? :)

• 2 weeks later...