[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

Hi, I used my Mac Os yesterday for three hours, and I'm reaching like 70º all the time, this is driving me crazy. I tried to migrate de C-states and P-states from linux, but i don't understand exactly how to do that.

Question: How can I do to decrease the CPU temp, or stop the funs? I suppose that without C-stastes its impossible, but I just want to double check, maybe some kext can do the work.

Thanks!!!!!!

95°C is really hot. Try to clean your fan. That can drop the temperature up to 20°C below the current value.

Wow really? Didn't know that.. I've never clean my fans in three years... maybe that is the cause?

It would be totally perfect to decrease the temp of my cpu.... Well if you know something I can do don't hesitate to tell me :P I've all the info DSDT, SSDT, from my linux installation...

Thanks a lot.

Just take the smbios.plist from post 1 and this bootloader.

Thanks for the reply.

I am using the smbios.plist from post #1 but changed the M1330 to M1530 and that was it. The bootloader I am using now is AnVAL4 which is the link you have provided. All of the RC5.PRE7's by AnVAL as well as the last official Chameleon release do not resolve this issue?.

EDITED:

I posted this issue in the voodoo projects forum and Valv replied that this is an issue with the Chameleon and they are working on the code to fix this.

Isn't anyone else having this issue?

He said to use a SMBIOS injector for now. Can you suggest one for our systems and Snow 10.6.3/4?

SMBIOSresovler, AppleSMBIOSEFI resolver?

I just don't know if any of them are up to date?

Do I actually need to physically examine my System Ram and insert the real serial numbers into the smbios.plist?

I need to do more research on SMC and smbios and our injectors to fully understand their purpose.

EDITED AGAIN:

I misunderstood Valv he did not mean inject a kext but to use the smbios.plist and inject with the correct script in the com.apple.Boot.plist which I do. I have a key that tells it not to use smbios defaults and the string for where the smbios.plist location is. But everything is in the EFI partition for me. There is an /Extra folder there and that is where the smbios.plist is. I know its being injected because I see the processor information in the profiler reads the correct speed 2.6. It was set to 2.4 before and I changed it in the smbiuos.plist

I just read it now but how do we get LPC to work?

"To enable C-States you must have LPC working on your system. It could be enabled via DSDT mod or injector."

Do we have a LPC Code we can Add to our DSDT?

I just read it now but how do we get LPC to work?

"To enable C-States you must have LPC working on your system. It could be enabled via DSDT mod or injector."

Do we have a LPC Code we can Add to our DSDT?

Looked at it very interesting, just now the latest revision and 350 is not working, memory alloc error.

I've also looked over their code and it looks as if it's hardcoding the CPU PM Base Address into the CST generator. We would need to adjust the code to match ours. (Macs,Giga and Asus Desktops have 0x410, most laptops including M1330 and M1530 have 0x1010 as the CPU PM Base, this is address (+0x4 and +0x5) is always located somewhere in the _CST section of D/SSDT table)

Thanks for this link, i'm going to keep a close eye on this.

--

AB

Looked at it very interesting, just now the latest revision and 350 is not working, memory alloc error.

I've also looked over their code and it looks as if it's hardcoding the CPU PM Base Address into the CST generator. We would need to adjust the code to match ours. (Macs,Giga and Asus Desktops have 0x410, most laptops including M1330 and M1530 have 0x1010 as the CPU PM Base, this is address (+0x4 and +0x5) is always located somewhere in the _CST section of D/SSDT table)

Thanks for this link, i'm going to keep a close eye on this.

--

AB

I just compiled Moj.. most current fixes about two hours ago and still get the memory alloc error. We have to make an adjustment to our DSDT to correct this error or is the Chameleon Script that needs work still?

My M1530 is broken since a few days. I think the nvidia gpu bug killed the mainboard. :-/

So new progress on C-State support from me. I have made a kext a few days ago which allows you to change the model name to a fake one which is based on MacBookPro3,1. This model is more similar to the M1530 than MacBookPro5,1. Maybe it is possible to get the C-States working by adjusting this kext a bit more. I will make a backup of my files stored on the HDD of the M1530 and upload the kext here, so that you can continue my work if you want.

I just compiled Moj.. most current fixes about two hours ago and still get the memory alloc error. We have to make an adjustment to our DSDT to correct this error or is the Chameleon Script that needs work still?

We can't change our PM base. Their code should sus it out from the DSDT at boot time. Incredibly bad idea to hard code it.

But I think someone earlier in this thread said that one of the OSX PM kexst assumes it is in a specific location so maybe that is why they did it.

Their Chameleon code is broken, for now. I'm sure someone is working on a fix. :)

ab___73,

r204 is working from the voodprojects repository. Just compiled and the error is gone. Some more scripts were asked to put into the com.apple.Boot.plist for the C and P state activation.

Everything seems to be working except some invalid processorOP Message.

Is this because of our NON CPU Specific CPU DSDT or is it something to do with the Chameleon Code?

I looked over my vanilla DSDT extracted from Ubuntu and the CPU sections of our NON CPU Specific DSDT and they are identical.

So is this why its called Non SPecific CPU DSDT? Its a Vanilla generated DSDT that has all the DSDT mods minus any additional CPU Scripting?

Invalid Characters Found in the ProcessorOP!

DSDT CPUs Not Found: C-States Not Generated!!

Message above repeats for for the P-States

Rest of message:

RSDT: Added 5 SSDT Tables(s)

FADT: Restart Fix Applied!

FADT: Using Custom DSDT!

Added 5 SSDT Tables(s) into XSDT

ab___73,

So is this why its called Non SPecific CPU DSDT? Its a Vanilla generated DSDT that has all the DSDT mods minus any additional CPU Scripting?

The CPU specific ones have the SSDT tables merged in.

Immo

Hi everybody,

I've been trying desperately to install OSX SL on my m1530 for the last few days;

First i tried the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]+[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method on the osx86 wiki, but that gave me an OSX "restart your computer" screen immediately upon booting the OSX cd.

Now I've been trying this guide all day, but during the installation process it gives me "You need to restart your computer" after approximately 2 minutes of progress.

I used the latest generic DSDT file from this thread. But one thing I didnt quite understand: can you just use that generic DSDT file as-is (replace the dsdt file in the "extra" folder of the boot cd by this one), or do you need to do something extra?

Any help would be much appreciated!

EDIT: i ran the installation with -v and this was the message:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff80002cbf47): Kernel trap at 0xffffff8000222bf5, type=page fault, registers: 

Error code: 0x0000000000000002

Debugger called : <panic>
backtrace (CPU0), FRAME : Return Address

and some other useless info (kernel version: 10.0.0, MAC OS version: 10A432, System model name: MacBookPro5,1)

C and P states are now enabled. I added the Scope (_PR) to the beginning of the DSDT script and those Invalid Characters Found in the ProcessorOP! are gone. Snippet of the location of the _PR in the DSDT below.

CPU C and P states are generated successfully see image below.

LPC Warning has not gone away

Project Link:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...c=1337&st=0

DefinitionBlock ("./dsdt.aml", "DSDT", 2, "INT430", "SYSFexxx", 0x00001001)
{
Scope (_PR)
{
	Processor (CPU0, 0x00, 0x00001010, 0x06) {}
	Processor (CPU1, 0x01, 0x00001010, 0x06) {}
}

Name (VERS, Package (0x03)
{
	"Project: DELL D05	", 
	"Date: 01/01/2005", 
	"Ver: 1.00.00"
})
Name (MISC, Buffer (0x07)
{
	0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
})
CreateByteField (MISC, Zero, MIS0)
CreateByteField (MISC, One, MIS1)
CreateByteField (MISC, 0x03, MIS3)
CreateByteField (MISC, 0x04, MIS4)
CreateByteField (MISC, 0x06, MIS6)
Scope (\)

Using Mojodojo (Mozodojo) CHameleon from revision 209 source:

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleo...anches/mozodojo

Also running the Modified FakeSMC with Superio by Slice to monitor temps. Superio does not seem to be able to find the right chip combinations but I am able to get CPU1,2 and GPU temps using the free Apple Widget iSTAT Pro.

Link for Monitoring With Fakesmc:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1206

Now besides MSR tools that only works in 32 bit mode and Coolbook which I can't get to work for me I like to monitor the Processor voltages with some tool? Any other tools? Is there anything in the Ioreg I can view to see if I have most of this stuff working or not?

CPU1/2 44 degrees

GPU Diode 53 degrees

Hard Drive Temp. 33 degrees

post-135888-1279947882_thumb.jpg

C and P states are now enabled. I added the Scope (_PR) to the beginning of the DSDT script and those Invalid Characters Found in the ProcessorOP! are gone. Snippet of the location of the _PR in the DSDT below.

CPU C and P states are generated successfully see image below.

LPC Warning has not gone away

Project Link:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...c=1337&st=0

DefinitionBlock ("./dsdt.aml", "DSDT", 2, "INT430", "SYSFexxx", 0x00001001)
{
Scope (_PR)
{
	Processor (CPU0, 0x00, 0x00001010, 0x06) {}
	Processor (CPU1, 0x01, 0x00001010, 0x06) {}
}

Name (VERS, Package (0x03)
{
	"Project: DELL D05	", 
	"Date: 01/01/2005", 
	"Ver: 1.00.00"
})
Name (MISC, Buffer (0x07)
{
	0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
})
CreateByteField (MISC, Zero, MIS0)
CreateByteField (MISC, One, MIS1)
CreateByteField (MISC, 0x03, MIS3)
CreateByteField (MISC, 0x04, MIS4)
CreateByteField (MISC, 0x06, MIS6)
Scope (\)

Using Mojodojo (Mozodojo) CHameleon from revision 209 source:

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleo...anches/mozodojo

Also running the Modified FakeSMC with Superio by Slice to monitor temps. Superio does not seem to be able to find the right chip combinations but I am able to get CPU1,2 and GPU temps using the free Apple Widget iSTAT Pro.

Link for Monitoring With Fakesmc:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1206

Now besides MSR tools that only works in 32 bit mode and Coolbook which I can't get to work for me I like to monitor the Processor voltages with some tool? Any other tools? Is there anything in the Ioreg I can view to see if I have most of this stuff working or not?

CPU1/2 44 degrees

GPU Diode 53 degrees

Hard Drive Temp. 33 degrees

Hi there, these are great news!

I'm not pretty sure if there is another method, but one way to check if P-States are working is this:

Using IOReg , go to ACPI_SMC_Platform and check if CPUPLimit is 0×0.

I don't understand why Coolbook is not working for you, it should be isn't it?

Sorry that I ask , but I would love to try your changes, what did you exactly do? I understood that you extrat you SSDT tables from ubuntu, then put those on the /Extra folder, and use another version of chamaleon, but also you 've modified you DSDT?

I would be great if you could attach your DSDT and the files that you have in your /E folder.

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!

Claudio.

One other question, did you note that your CPU temp "really" decrease for having C-states working?

Thanks again :(

Claudio A.,

All I did is move my Scope(_PR) all the way to the top of the DSDT, other than that the DSDT is a 100% copy of Brett Whinnen Non Specific CPU for the Nvidia M8600 from the first post.

I just read today that the new revision of Mojodojo's Chameleon has a fix for the Scope _PR position so don't worry about moving it with the lastest Rev.

With CoolBook I see voltages on the right but all 0's for frequency on the left and nothing in the bottom left fields.

I did not do any mods for FakeSMC and SUperIO in my DSDT to get iSTAT pro to give me CPU and GPU Diode Temp. readings. If you use the ACPIMon instead there is some script you need to add to your DSDT. I am working on this today so I can get Fan speed and Northbridge Temps like Slice iSTAT shows.

The SSDT tables are from Ubuntu just rename all 5.

SSDT_r1-PmRef-Cpu0Cst-3001-INTL-20050624.aml

SSDT_r1-PmRef-Cpu0Ist-3000-INTL-20050624.aml

SSDT_r1-PmRef-Cpu1Cst-3000-INTL-20050624.aml

SSDT_r1-PmRef-Cpu1Ist-3000-INTL-20050624.aml

SSDT_r1-PmRef-CpuPm-3000-INTL-20050624.aml

Starting with the first one above rename it to SDDT.aml, then the second one to SSDT-1.aml...... CpuPm, last one as SSDT-4.aml.

The Mojodojo Chamelon Boot is what I have in the root of my EFI HFS+ partition:

My Extra folder is also located inside the EFI HFS+ partition and these are the files and folders located there:

DSDT.aml and all 5 SSDT's renamed from above

com.apple.Boot.plist which has some changes to make the Chameleon Mod work. Attached below.

smbios.plist same file from the first post just changed my model from M1330 to M1530 and cpu freq max from 2400 to 2600.

Themes folder

Extensions.mkext

Extensions folder

In the extensions folder I have:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

VoodooBattery.kext

But if you do some scipt changes in your DSDT as Slice has on the first post and which I am working on today you can probably remove the "VoodooBattery.kext" not sure though.

The FakeSMC and SuperIO kexts are on the /S/L/E

I can't prove that my Temp's are lower from this Chameleon mod but it sure seems like it. I never hit 60 degrees for my CPU any more.

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

Claudio A.,

All I did is move my Scope(_PR) all the way to the top of the DSDT, other than that the DSDT is 100% copy of Brett Whinnen Non Specific CPU for the Nvidia M8600 from the first post.

I just read today that the new revision of Mojodojo's Chameleon has a fix for the Scope _PR position so don't worry about moving it with the lastest Rev.

With CoolBook I see voltages on the right but all 0's for frequency on the left and nothing in the bottom left fields.

I did not do any mods for FakeSMC and SUperIO in my DSDT to get iSTAT pro to give me CPU and GPU Diode Temp. readings. If you use the ACPIMon instead there is some script you need to add to your DSDT. I am working on this today so I can get Fan speed and Northbridge Temps like Slice iSTAT shows.

The SSDT tables are from Ubuntu just rename all 5.

SSDT_r1-PmRef-Cpu0Cst-3001-INTL-20050624.aml

SSDT_r1-PmRef-Cpu0Ist-3000-INTL-20050624.aml

SSDT_r1-PmRef-Cpu1Cst-3000-INTL-20050624.aml

SSDT_r1-PmRef-Cpu1Ist-3000-INTL-20050624.aml

SSDT_r1-PmRef-CpuPm-3000-INTL-20050624.aml

Starting with the first one above rename it to SDDT.aml, then the second one to SSDT-1.aml...... CpuPm, last one as SSDT-4.aml.

The Mojodojo Chamelon Boot is what I have in the root of my EFI HFS+ partition:

My Extra folder is also located inside the EFI HFS+ partition and these are the files and folders located there:

DSDT.aml and all 5 SSDT's renamed from above

com.apple.Boot.plist which has some changes to make the Chameleon Mod work.

smbios.plist same file from the first post just changed my model from M1330 to M1530 and cpu freq max from 2400 to 2600.

Themes folder

Extensions.mkext

Extensions folder

In the extensions folder I have:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

VoodooBattery.kext

But if you do some scipt changes in your DSDT as Slice has on the first post and which I am working on today you can probably remove the "VoodooBattery.kext" not sure though.

The FakeSMC and SuperIO kexts are on the /S/L/E

I can't prove that my Temp's are lower from this Chameleon mod but it sure seems like it. I never hit 60 degrees for my CPU any more.

WOw, thanks a lot for this guide! I'll try this later today, I've just one question to ask you, How can I do to update my bootloader?, I've installed one of the latest version of chamaleon, don't remember exactly which version, so my question is how can I do to use the latest version of Mojodojo's Chameleon bootloader? Where I can get that? And how can I update my actual version? Sorry for my question, I suppose that is pretty simple to do that :D

Brett, AB___73 or whoever may know the answer to this one?

I have reviewed my Vanilla DSDT extracted from Ubuntu and besides the mods done to it from this post I am concerned about this one change. I cannot find anything at all referring to this section in my vanilla DSDT.

All of the System Memory script is 100% the same except one thing.

Script Below:

OperationRegion (BSKU, SystemMemory, 0xFFBC0100, One)
   Field (BSKU, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
   {
           ,   1, 
       BPHP,   3, 
               Offset (0x01)
   }

OperationRegion (GPE0, SystemIO, 0x042C, 0x04)
   Field (GPE0, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
   {
           ,   1, 
       GPEH,   1, 
           ,   7, 
       PEEN,   1, 
           ,   1, 
       PMEE,   1, 
               Offset (0x03), 
       PCIX,   1, 
               Offset (0x04)
   }

WHat is the purpose of this script?

Claudio A.,

Its not that difficult actually but took me a while to figure it out. You have to grab a SVN client to download the Mozodojo-chameleon source.

Im using SmartSVN

This is the link you put into the client once you installed it then you grab the source its easy.

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/svn/chameleon

You also need Xcode tools from the Apple site its free and a huge 2GB download. You may already have it on your DVD if you have the latest 10.6.3 but not sure if that has the latest Xcode tools.

You will have to register on their development site buts its free.

http://developer.apple.com/technologies/xcode.html

Once you do all that you go to the Mozodojo-Chameleon folder in a terminal and do this:

sudo Make

Once the compile is complete cd to the sym/i386 folder. Your boot file is there.

If you need to manually install Chameleon with a newer boot1h etc etc here is the link to manually install Chameleon which I did the first time I started using the source.

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=649.0

Backup your Extra folder before doing the manual format and install of chameleon EFI Partition if your Extra folder is there.

Once you grab the source and compile it, you need to put fdisk in the sym/i386 folder to be able to do most of these steps from the link above for manual install of Chameleon.

I did the manual install only the first time I started using Mojo's Chameleon. All of he subsequent revisions should not require a manual install of Chameleon just a recompile of the source then copy of the boot file from the sym/i386 into the EFI partition that is mounted. That link shows you how to mount the EFI so you can replace the boot file each time you compile a new one.

Attached:

EDITED:

Mojo is constantly updating the source so use SmartSVN to refresh your source but before you Compile the new source (Make) make sure you (Make clean) first before you execute Make.

You will also have to put a fresh copy of fdisk in sym/i386 after a make clean followed by a make command if you plan to reformat the EFI partition and reinstall the boot1h etc.

As I already said though you should only have to do this once unless you go with someone else's chameleon. Like ANVAL4 etc etc.

fdisk.zip

Brett, AB___73 or whoever may know the answer to this one?

I have reviewed my Vanilla DSDT extracted from Ubuntu and besides the mods done to it from this post I am concerned about this one change. I cannot find anything at all referring to this section in my vanilla DSDT.

All of the System Memory script is 100% the same except one thing.

Script Below:

OperationRegion (BSKU, SystemMemory, 0xFFBC0100, One)
   Field (BSKU, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
   {
           ,   1, 
       BPHP,   3, 
               Offset (0x01)
   }

OperationRegion (GPE0, SystemIO, 0x042C, 0x04)
   Field (GPE0, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
   {
           ,   1, 
       GPEH,   1, 
           ,   7, 
       PEEN,   1, 
           ,   1, 
       PMEE,   1, 
               Offset (0x03), 
       PCIX,   1, 
               Offset (0x04)
   }

WHat is the purpose of this script?

Claudio A.,

Its not that difficult actually but took me a while to figure it out. You have to grab a SVN client to download the Mozodojo-chameleon source.

Im using SmartSVN

This is the link you put into the client once you installed it then you grab the source its easy.

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/svn/chameleon

You also need Xcode tools from the Apple site its free and a huge 2GB download. You may already have it on your DVD if you have the latest 10.6.3 but not sure if that has the latest Xcode tools.

You will have to register on their development site buts its free.

http://developer.apple.com/technologies/xcode.html

Once you do all that you go to the Mozodojo-Chameleon folder in a terminal and do this:

sudo Make

After it compiled go the sym/i386 folder. Your boot file is there.

If you need to manually install Chameleon with a newer boot1h etc etc here is the link to manually install Chameleon which I did the first time I started using the source.

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=649.0

Backup your Extra folder if its already in the EFI Partition because you are going to format as the link provides you with all the steps.

You need to put fdisk in the sym/i386 folder to be able to do most of these steps.

Attached:

Excelent this is the info that I needed, I will try all this later! thanks a lot again!!!!!! I will post my results here later!!!!!

Thanks!

Claudio A.,

If you want to save time on grabbing Xcode and installing SmartSVN and getting the source here is the i386 folder compiled for you already latest build by Mojodojo (Mozodojo) based Chameleon.

I would follow the guide for manual install of chameleon and do all of the steps in a terminal inside this i386 folder. fdisk is in there already.

I also will include my efi folder which is all up to date but still at least format your EFI and install both boot0 and boot1h accordingly then copy either my boot from my EFI folder or copy it as the manual install sais from the i386 folder all in terminal window.

Copy my EFI/Extra folder over and you should be all set.

From the other link on FakeSMC monitor you can grab those two files yourself FakeSMC.kext and Superio and put them in the /s/l/e . I worked in my /EFI/Extra but just in case put them in /s/l/e.

Files attached

i386.zip

EFI copy too big for here, you will find it here instead:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2RIAA4P3

Important things to note:

Grab the latest Kext Utility for SNow Leopard.

Run that when done but there is a catch.

In order for it to repair permissions in your /EFI/Extra you have to make sure uour EFI partition is mounted. Then you have to link the Extra folder inside the /EFI to Extra in the root like below.

cd /

Make sure you are admin use sudo -s or sudo then command

ln -s /volumes/efi/Extra Extra

Run kext util it will now repair the Extra inside your EFI

When done

unlink Extra

umount /volumes/efi

rm -rf /volumes/efi

reboot

IMPORTANT make sure you unlink Extra before you reboot or it will crash. You won't be able to boot the drive unless you boot another Snow drive and fix it that way. Not even Empire EFI CD will let you boot in.

You could use Empire EFI but you will have to boot to Vanilla SL Install DVD or similiar

You could always use a Distro DVD to boot to and fix it in terminal.

Just don't forget to unlink.

There may be a better or safer way to fix permissions in the mounted EFI partition by adjusting the kext utility script? I just don't know maybe google search it.

Maybe create an Alias instead but not sure if Kext Util will see it or not?