[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

guys.. i noticed some stuff in difference of m1330 and m1530.

Device (MB03) has entry for 0x1060 .. and right bellow it 0x1080 .. didnt ab_73 say the GPE or GPIO ws in 0x1080 ?

i smell secondary system in middle of the pmbase... smlink ?

Unfortunately I couldn't boot Snow Leopard on M1530 (Intel T9500 2.6GHz). I made my own DSDT and BootCD (BootCD work fine)

In attachment my DSDT.

In /S/L/E I have:

- FakeSMC v.405 (2.7.2) removed unnecessary plug-ins

- patched AppleHDA (I don't know why there are sound assertion at boot)

- AnyiSightCam

In /E/E I have:

- VoodooBattery

- VoodooPS2Controller

- VoodooSDHC

com.apple.boot.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1440x900x32</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>n</string>
<key>GenerateCState</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePState</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>RestartFix</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>Default</string>
<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>6</string>
</dict>
</plist>

smbios.plist

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MBP51.88Z.0074.B00.0810241236</string>
<key>SMboardmanufacter</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F42D86C8</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>MacBookPro</string>
<key>SMmanufacter</key>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookPro5,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>6ZNLRG1</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
</dict>
</plist>

error.jpg

Where the error is ?!

DSDT.aml.zip

Unfortunately I couldn't boot Snow Leopard on M1530 (Intel T9500 2.6GHz). I made my own DSDT and BootCD (BootCD work fine)

In attachment my DSDT.

smbios.plist

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<key>SMboardmanufacter</key>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F42D86C8</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<key>SMmanufacter</key>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>6ZNLRG1</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Where the error is ?!

It is good to use others smbios.plist, but at least change the SMserial to anything of your choice. Please don't use Talisman's Dell XPS M1530 Service Tag...!! :D

Also, try these kexts out... here

Make sure your DSDT, boot and kexts and Extensions.mkext have right permission... my hunch is FakeSMC is not loading, but I might be wrong...

In attachment my DSDT.

In /S/L/E I have:

- FakeSMC v.405 (2.7.2) removed unnecessary plug-ins

- patched AppleHDA (I don't know why there are sound assertion at boot)

- AnyiSightCam

In /E/E I have:

- VoodooBattery

- VoodooPS2Controller

- VoodooSDHC

Where the error is ?!

Why not simply try the files I have provided? Namely, the latest FakeSMC.kext 3.1.0 (rev477) which loads from the /Extra/Extensions/ directory as well as the less buggy AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext? Also, oSxFr33k or Talisman's DSDT.aml is worth a shot as well.

It is good to use others smbios.plist, but at least change the SMserial to anything of your choice. Please don't use Talisman's Dell XPS M1530 Service Tag...!! :(

That's my fault, I have now removed that particular SMserial and replaced it with my own. I wasn't aware that it were anything meaningful.

That's my fault, I have now removed that particular SMserial and replaced it with my own. I wasn't aware that it were anything meaningful.

hey... no worries... considering the excellent warranty I have, I am sure some people could put it to use...!! :)

ps. I myself used superhai's or someone else's service tag for quite a while before I noticed it...!!

OK, almost everything is alright. After update to 10.6.6 TrackPad has stopped working, why ? Sleep doesn't work in 10.6.6 - from what I read is normal in 10.6.5 and above right ?

DarwinX, why do you use IOPCIFamily.kext and IOUSBFamily?

I add DropSSDT=Yes and CPU section in DSDT (for T9500).

My smbios.plist:

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>11/06/2010</string>
<key>SMboardmanufacturer</key>
<string>Apple Computer, Inc.</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<key>SMmanufacturer</key>
<key>SMproductname</key>
</dict>
</plist>

Fellow XPS users, quick question!

At first, i would like to thank you guys for the time and effort you put into this project! Immo, great thread! Talisman, your comments are allways helpfull, and the latest zipfile with your current kexts made my m1530 run snow leopard without having to search through the entire forum! Also Brett Whinnen (and fellow contributors) for the generic DSDT! This works great!

Like most folks out here, i have an extra dell 1505n wireless card for my internets on OSX. It is installed in the second slot, next to the intel 4965agn.

The problem is that OSX does not recognize the dell while it's in the second slot. I have switched it over to the other one, and then wireless works fine.

I need the intel card installed, because some of my software use this mac-adress to manage the license for the software.

As you know, the intel card has 3 connections, while the dell card only has 2 (White, black, gray) vs (Black, White/gray). The antenna connections for the middle pci-e (2 connections) are to short to reach the 1505 when it's in the first slot. The connections would fit the 1505 if i would place it in the WWAN slot, but i would presume that OSX won't detect it, just like in the middle one.

Strangely enough, this used to work on previous installs of OSX.

Can i edit the DSDT so that OSX detects the card while it's in slot two? or is it possible to install the dell card in the slot for the WWAN card?

Grtz!

OK, almost everything is alright. After update to 10.6.6 TrackPad has stopped working, why ? Sleep doesn't work in 10.6.6 - from what I read is normal in 10.6.5 and above right ?

Sleep works just fine as long as one doesn't change the power state in the middle of the sleep. Trackpad works fine with the older voodooPS2+appleACPINub or with the newer VoodooPS2. Get a hold of the older trackpad.prefpane from here and replace the one in /S/L/PrefPane and activate the trackpad. Then forget about it....

Optimango: you are welcome. Also, I use a Dell 1490 in the wwan slot (middle) and it works just fine in both my tin cans. I actually have not heard of anyone voicing your problem before.

DarwinX: I have never had problems with VoodooBattery, why do you call it buggy??

DarwinX, why do you use IOPCIFamily.kext and IOUSBFamily?

I add DropSSDT=Yes and CPU section in DSDT (for T9500).

Reinstall the Trackpad.prefPane. Those are the kexts I have been utilizing partly in order to remedy the intermittent USB disconnection issue that had plagued me for a portion of the 10.6.5. That issue has since been resolved, and I just didn't see any reason in reverting to their vanilla counterparts. The issue, by the way, was purportedly caused by the older HWSensor FakeSMC.kext; you can simply disregard those kexts and continue to retain the existing ones.

Fellow XPS users, quick question!

At first, i would like to thank you guys for the time and effort you put into this project! Immo, great thread! Talisman, your comments are allways helpfull, and the latest zipfile with your current kexts made my m1530 run snow leopard without having to search through the entire forum! Also Brett Whinnen (and fellow contributors) for the generic DSDT! This works great!

Like most folks out here, i have an extra dell 1505n wireless card for my internets on OSX. It is installed in the second slot, next to the intel 4965agn.

The problem is that OSX does not recognize the dell while it's in the second slot. I have switched it over to the other one, and then wireless works fine.

I need the intel card installed, because some of my software use this mac-adress to manage the license for the software.

As you know, the intel card has 3 connections, while the dell card only has 2 (White, black, gray) vs (Black, White/gray). The antenna connections for the middle pci-e (2 connections) are to short to reach the 1505 when it's in the first slot. The connections would fit the 1505 if i would place it in the WWAN slot, but i would presume that OSX won't detect it, just like in the middle one.

Strangely enough, this used to work on previous installs of OSX.

Can i edit the DSDT so that OSX detects the card while it's in slot two? or is it possible to install the dell card in the slot for the WWAN card?

Grtz!

I have been using both of the aforementioned cards for nearly 3 years now with no issues. Snow Leopard brought nothing new as far as the WLAN is concerned. If I recall correctly, the WLAN and WWAN slots are completely interchangeable and OS X recognizes the Dell TrueMobile 1505 from either one of those slots. Windows 7 also recognizes both in any configuration.

Sleep works just fine as long as one doesn't change the power state in the middle of the sleep.

DarwinX: I have never had problems with VoodooBattery, why do you call it buggy??

Would you care to elaborate on your statement referencing sleep?

VoodooBattery.kext has caused KP's in my rig before. It has also been known to interfere and conflict with the other Voodoo implementations as well as having memory leaks and a buggy code in general as referenced by several known coders. If nothing else, AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext give a more accurate Battery/AC Charger read out in System Profiler. Namely, proper device name, ID, wattage/voltage, etc.

Sleep still doesn't work for me. I have your kexts and my DSDT. Even when I use the DSDT from a post or yours, sleep does not work.

When the computer go to sleep, drives and mouse disappears but the monitor still works.

PS: I have Broadcom BCM4315 wifi.

@DarwinX

Sorry for the long delay. Had inspections and training for several weeks.

Here is a vanilla DSDT from my system . 8GB ram, T9500 2.6GHZ processor and the Nvidia 8600M not the 8400 which some early model XPS M1530's had.

MaLdon's patch works flawlessly with this vanilla DSDT. Just make sure after you launch the auto patcher you uncheck "Extract DSDT from system" at the top of the window, otherwise it will patch the DSDT from your system, which is already patched. You can use this feature if you boot without DSDT override, which I explained how a few posts back.

DSDT.VANILLA.aml.zip

oswaldini.. with laptop off hold FN and press power to run diagnostics

.. seems u might have a bad hard disk. ( disk I/O error 3rd line from bottom)

wireless works fine in cell slot. but i have same 4315.. u have to put it in info.plist of broadcom kext

and in bios u have to enable cell slot aka wwan

Wireless (BCM4315) work perfect via DSDT patch (I don't need to modify kext):

Name (_SUN, 0x02)
				Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (Package (0x0C)
						{
							"device-id", 
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x12, 0x43, 0x00, 0x00
							}, 

"subsystem-id", 
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x28, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00
							}, 

"name", 
							Buffer (0x0D)
							{
								"pci14e4,4312"
							}, 

"device_type", 
							Buffer (0x08)
							{
								"Airport"
							}, 

"model", 
							Buffer (0x11)
							{
								"Broadcom BCM4312"
							}, 

"built-in", 
							Buffer (One)
							{
								0x00
							}
						}, Local0)
					DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
					Return (Local0)
				}
			}

I will check hard drive.

Ok, i fixed the problem with the dell wireless card. For some reason i could not get it to work when it was in the middle pci-e slot. I have placed the 1505n in the slot reserved for the 3G card. (without switching it on in the bios)

I have noticed sudden drops in connection, but for the most part its ok. I first thought i had to edit something in the DSDT to tell the OS the "Airport" card was over there. (I'm not really an expert on this matter)

I do have some more questions on getting 10.6.6 to work perfectly on my dell. I will post them in Wingrunr21's topic, as they are not dsdt related.

Thanks

In 10.6.6 we have original Trackpad.prefpane from Apple therefore we can't install Trackpad.prefpane from Voodoo. Just change voodoo prefpane name and everything works.

I still struggle with sleep. C-State are not loading. I have CPUPLimit in IOReg but can't get CSTInfo. Probably because that sleep doesn't work.

Would you care to elaborate on your statement referencing sleep?

VoodooBattery.kext has caused KP's in my rig before. It has also been known to interfere and conflict with the other Voodoo implementations as well as having memory leaks and a buggy code in general as referenced by several known coders. If nothing else, AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext give a more accurate Battery/AC Charger read out in System Profiler. Namely, proper device name, ID, wattage/voltage, etc.

So if you sleep in the AC power mode and wake up in the battery mode or vice versa, the computer mostly freezes. I say mostly because it still seems to be working but takes no input from trackpad or mouse and takes only minimal input from keyboard.

I have had voodoobattery ever since Superhai wrote it. Before that I used the ACPIBattery kext which was also written by Superhai. He was one of the best coders we had. Till date I have had no KP because of the VoodooBattery kext or the previous one. Nor have a seen any memory leaks. And I do not know what other information you are looking for as the System Profiler in my tin can gives me everything:

Oswaldini: to my knowledge C-states don't work for M1530s. I don't know if there has been any progress during my occasional hibernation. Also, I remember from the leopard days sleep wouldn't work if you had a bios password. Strange but true.

post-272103-1295842706_thumb.jpg

@DarwinX

Sorry for the long delay. Had inspections and training for several weeks.

Here is a vanilla DSDT from my system . 8GB ram, T9500 2.6GHZ processor and the Nvidia 8600M not the 8400 which some early model XPS M1530's had.

It is quite alright, thanks mate. The only problem is that I have a T9300 2.5GHz CPU. However, I have still gone ahead and patched it, yet I lose the OpenGL acceleration with it.

So if you sleep in the AC power mode and wake up in the battery mode or vice versa, the computer mostly freezes. I say mostly because it still seems to be working but takes no input from trackpad or mouse and takes only minimal input from keyboard.

I have had voodoobattery ever since Superhai wrote it. Before that I used the ACPIBattery kext which was also written by Superhai. He was one of the best coders we had. Till date I have had no KP because of the VoodooBattery kext or the previous one. Nor have a seen any memory leaks. And I do not know what other information you are looking for as the System Profiler in my tin can gives me everything:

Oswaldini: to my knowledge C-states don't work for M1530s. I don't know if there has been any progress during my occasional hibernation. Also, I remember from the leopard days sleep wouldn't work if you had a bios password. Strange but true.

I still have no sleep functionality in any mode which is completely unrelated to the lack of C-states as our rigs have never had them under the OS X.

On a different note, ever since the 10.6.6 update, the MDS has been constantly running consuming the much needed CPU and memory resources as well as heating up my laptop. Killing it via:

sudo mdutil -a -i off

serves as a temporary solution. Any ideas?

Have you guys having troubles with sleep tried what's in dlach's post 542 a few pages back? Works no problem on my rig with the latest DSDT on the first post. Of course I'm running an M1330.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...780&st=540#

Immo

I have always had hibernate mode set to 0. One way of checking this is to see if you have a "sleepimage" file in /var/vm/. Having it might mean you are hibernating to the disk. Also, You might have set hibernatemode to 0 but not deleted the file, in which case you can go ahead and delete it coz it just eats up HD space equal to the ram in your tin-can.

so do this as superuser:

pmset -a hibernatemode 0
rm /var/vm/sleepimage

Sleep seems to be a slight problem in the M1530 as I mentioned before, even with the latest DSDT, at least in my tin-can. I am yet to look into it.

Hello oswaldini,

Can you pls share you dsdt and patched applehda.kxt? Are you able to get hdmi audio out with the patched kext?

Thanks!

D

Wireless (BCM4315) work perfect via DSDT patch (I don't need to modify kext):

Name (_SUN, 0x02)
				Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (Package (0x0C)
						{
							"device-id", 
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x12, 0x43, 0x00, 0x00
							}, 

"subsystem-id", 
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x28, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00
							}, 

"name", 
							Buffer (0x0D)
							{
								"pci14e4,4312"
							}, 

"device_type", 
							Buffer (0x08)
							{
								"Airport"
							}, 

"model", 
							Buffer (0x11)
							{
								"Broadcom BCM4312"
							}, 

"built-in", 
							Buffer (One)
							{
								0x00
							}
						}, Local0)
					DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
					Return (Local0)
				}
			}

I will check hard drive.

Hello MaLd0n,

I used the patch, everything is fine except I don't have opencl/accelerated graphics anymore. I have tried running the patcher in windows and under mac (for mac I used the vanilla dsdt offered by oSxFr33k).

Any ideas?

Regards,

D

Hi oSxFr33k

I'll fix the patch

Thanks for that

EDIT

DSDT_Auto_Patcher_1530.zip

Last but not least, is dsdt editing required to get temp info in iStat 3x Pro or does the new FakeSMC and or DSDT by MaLd0n able to show the acpi/nv/temp info?

THanks!!

Last but not least, is dsdt editing required to get temp info in iStat 3x Pro or does the new FakeSMC and or DSDT by MaLd0n able to show the acpi/nv/temp info?

THanks!!

Latest FakeSMC 3.1.0 revision 477 with all the proper plugins (SuperIOFamily.kext, IntelCPUMonitor.kext, NVClockX.kext) provides CPU/GPU temperatures, system fan RPM and CPU voltages without any DSDT.aml modifications.

check this out guys.. http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&a...p;view=previous

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData – _CST evaluation failedAppleRTL8169Ethernet: Ethernet address “REMOVED”
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData – _CST evaluation failed
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver – WARNING – LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

"ideas_man69: upon further investigating, i realized that i had my ESATA drive plugged in.

i disconnected it, rebooted and the error didn't come up.

i reconnected it, started the machine up and then the error came back.

what the hell is that about???"

hmmm isn't this interesting ?

likely irq assignment related.

guys i made some progress.. i made laptop shutdown on wake with one of them crazy dsdts ;)

i identified part of issue. the m1530 has mECi so does m1330 .. or does it ? what does MecI mean ? Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller Interface ? :unsure:

EDIT: Multiple Event Count Increment (MECI) (<PDF DSP0134 fresh off the grill dated 1-26-2011)

what activates it ?.. this

Mutex (SMIX, 0x01)
 Method (SMI, 2, NotSerialized)
 {
	 Acquire (SMIX, 0xFFFF)
	 While (LEqual (\_SB.MECI, Zero)) {}// HERE!!

this is missing in the m1530. bellow

Mutex (SMIX, 0x01)
 Method (SMI, 2, NotSerialized)
 {
	 Acquire (SMIX, 0xFFFF)
	 While (Zero) {}

what replaces it ? ???

if u get the schematics of both boards.. you will see it has dual EC in m1330 and inspiron 1520 and a few others

SMSC EC MEC5025 and SIO Expander SMSC ECE5021

http://www.filedropper.com/dellm1330thurma...etevganvidiag86

so what i have found is meklort dellmini source asl that has an interesting PTS , GPIO , PMIO

http://code.google.com/p/mydellmini/source...%2FDSDT_Patcher

i wonder how to find the GNVS 0x ADDRESS

i also added MCHC but its incomplete as it has its differences in methods.

anyways i was looking into dsdt in linux world and found something intresting

http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com/...itch-onoff.html

maybe i can add that to end of pts section