[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

more stuff found related to dsdt errors in dell . http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd...uly/008664.html

> First, this information confirm one bug present in all Dell laptops
> I'm aware of (including but not limited to D600, D610, inspiron 6000)
> The bug is ACPI related, and concern how a particular event is
> handled.  To be short, the ASL contain this method (example for
> the D820):
> 
>	 Method (SMIE, 0, NotSerialized)
>	 {
>		 Store (SMI (0x96, 0x00), Local0)
>		 If (And (Local0, 0x01))
>		 {
>			 Notify (\_TZ.THM, 0x80)
>		 }
> 
>		 Notify (\_SB.PCI0.VID, 0x81)
>		 Notify (\_SB.PCI0.AGP.VID, 0x81)
>	 }
> 
>	 If (And (Local0, 0x02))
>	 {
>		 Store (SMI (0x6D, 0x00), Local0)   <--- BUG.  Local0 will
>												 change in
>												 that case!!!
>		 ...
>		 ...
>	 }
> 
>	 If (And (Local0, 0x04))   <--- We may not have the correct value for
>									Local0 in that case...
>	 {
>		 Notify (\_SB.BAT0, 0x81)
>		 Notify (\_SB.BAT1, 0x81)
>	 }
> 
>	 If (And (Local0, 0x08))
>	 {
>		 Notify (\_PR.CPU0, 0x80)
>		 Notify (\_PR.CPU1, 0x80)
>	 }
> 
>	 If (And (Local0, 0x10))
>	 {
>		 ...
>		 ...
>	 }

yay i got shutdown to work in friends inspiron 1520 .. x3100 video.

WITH NO _PTS mod except 0x01, SMBD dissable and made PBTN 0x17 0x5 in pwr instead of 0x04 and Device (PCIE) made the 0x03 to 0x05 and pci also.

in audio Device (HDEF) OR AZAL i added by accident _PWR with 0x0B 0x03 and it started to shutdown .. then i changed to original 0x09 and no shutdown.

so the shutdown issue in the x3100 has to do with order of shutdown of devices.

in the case of the nvidias its somethign else.. like video not shutting down ?

so now to the nvidia.. didnt work! same dsdt.. with the (VID) address for wrong bus. 0x00010000 .. is for nvidias. (worked for x3100 with no graphics enabler)

0x00020000 is for intel gma ..

so i think if i add AGP bus kill call early in shutdown it might work

also found more dell specific issues in freebsd world.

{It seems that EC cannot work in polled mode at all. Since FreeBSD ACPI code disables GPEs on shutdown and it is not able to receive answer from EC, and reboots machine.}

yay i got shutdown to work in friends inspiron 1520 .. x3100 video.

I just came back and noticed your Shutdown progress. I would like to test/help if possible. I have a m1330 with nVidia8400mGS. I am using Brett's anycpu DSDT in topic.

I have long been interested fixing Shutdown, and possibly C-states, LPC initializing. would LPC init and EC be connected?

Althought I no longer have WIN installed to check again, Everest and RWE never found EC or SuperIO.

Anyways, Let me know if I can dump/test anything to contribute.

Hi to all.

I have only today installed SL on my Dell (configuration in signature)

I'm know Im newbie but, If I have understood well, there is one dsts for one configuration.

Where I can find a dstd good for me?? Thx for how can help me.

Hi to all.

I have only today installed SL on my Dell (configuration in signature)

I'm know Im newbie but, If I have understood well, there is one dsts for one configuration.

Where I can find a dstd good for me?? Thx for how can help me.

At the bottom of the first post of this thread.

Thank you guys for the DSDT here. I now have speedstep and correct video resolution on my M1530. I do have an issue though after using the new DSDT. When I boot up with it the first time, it works perfectly (wireless too). Then after I do a shutdown, the next time I reboot, it hangs with the last line being

AppleYukon2 - RomlessInit getProperty failed

I didn't think that was a critical error, but I can't get past that without doing a reinstall (-s doesn't work either). So I did a full reinstall from iATKOS S3 v2, replaced the DSDT (and added the bootflag and edited the systemversion.plist file) after it was up and running, shutdown, restarted and got the same error again.

Any ideas on the cause and how to remedy it? Machine is Dell M1530, 4gig, Dell wireless card, T9300 Core2Duo, nVidia graphics. Today makes 5 days I've been at this, and I am SO close. I thought I was just about done until this came up. Thank you much.

1297639139-photo-jpg-1695kb.jpg

I looked a little more closely at the errors and saw the issue was likely the AppleRTC failing to load. I had to load iATKOS using RTC-32 (per advice in another thread here) or I got the 'you need to restart your computer, hold down the power......' message. Once I used the 32bit RTC it worked fine. Then I added the DSDT and kexts and everything worked fine after I rebooted, so I dont understand why it didn't work the following time. But I did just get it to boot using arch=i386 -legacy however then my trackpad doesn't work.

Does anyone else have an issue with sleep with the adapter plugged in? On my m1530 with the dsdt here with all fixes or a custom dsdt from linux, it always restarts with the keyboard locked up if i try to put it to sleep with the cord plugged in.. does anyone know a solution for this?

I looked a little more closely at the errors and saw the issue was likely the AppleRTC failing to load. I had to load iATKOS using RTC-32 (per advice in another thread here) or I got the 'you need to restart your computer, hold down the power......' message. Once I used the 32bit RTC it worked fine. Then I added the DSDT and kexts and everything worked fine after I rebooted, so I dont understand why it didn't work the following time. But I did just get it to boot using arch=i386 -legacy however then my trackpad doesn't work.

So you followed this guide at post 1, started with superhai's bootcd, installed from a retail OSX DVD and used Brett's anyCPU DSDT and got the RTC error? If so you can ignore my comment in the other thread you cross-posted to.

Do we have a working VoodooHDA with kernel 10.6.6? The one I had for 10.6.4 kernel panics with 10.6.6

Thanks

Edited a Few minutes later. version 2.71 always panic'd in kernel 10.6.4 on a XPS M1530 but now the reverse is true for Kernel 10.6.6. I have version 2.71 working on kernel 10.6.6.

This version sounds a bit distorted when I flip PCM all the way up from the Voodoo Pref. Pane.

Sorry for my confusion!!

I am trying to boot the kernel into 32 bit and at the boot prompt I do this:

-x32

It still boots the kernel into 64 bit. Something is preventing this from booting the kernel into 32 bit. I tired the latest chameleon or at least one that was precompiled R650. I am not sure if this is why or not.

Is anyone else able to boot into 32 bit?

Edited Again:

I figured it out. My i7 Laptop will only boot 32 bit with -x32 at boot prompt however the XPS M1530 will only do that with arch=i386 which does not work on my Asus i7 lappy.

Do we have a working VoodooHDA with kernel 10.6.6? The one I had for 10.6.4 kernel panics with 10.6.6

Thanks

Edited a Few minutes later. version 2.71 always panic'd in kernel 10.6.4 on a XPS M1530 but now the reverse is true for Kernel 10.6.6. I have version 2.71 working on kernel 10.6.6.

This version sounds a bit distorted when I flip PCM all the way up from the Voodoo Pref. Pane.

VoodooHDA 2.7.2 loads and functions with no kernel panics.

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=355

The Info.plist of the VoodooHDA.kext requires manual modification in order to permanently activate the SS2 to avoid the sound stuttering issue affecting some installations.

<key>Vectorize</key>
<true/>

I am trying to boot the kernel into 32 bit and at the boot prompt I do this:

-x32

It still boots the kernel into 64 bit. Something is preventing this from booting the kernel into 32 bit. I tired the latest chameleon or at least one that was precompiled R650. I am not sure if this is why or not.

Is anyone else able to boot into 32 bit?

Edited Again:

I figured it out. My i7 Laptop will only boot 32 bit with -x32 at boot prompt however the XPS M1530 will only do that with arch=i386 which does not work on my Asus i7 lappy.

Your i7 laptop likely has an older boot loader in which the -x32 flag is still implemented, while your M1530 has a relatively recent version of the Chameleon 2 RC5 which uses an updated arch=i386 flag. By the way, here is the latest Chameleon 2 RC5 revision 747 experimental .dmg:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=87336

So you followed this guide at post 1, started with superhai's bootcd, installed from a retail OSX DVD and used Brett's anyCPU DSDT and got the RTC error? If so you can ignore my comment in the other thread you cross-posted to.

Thanks for your help in the other thread. I'm up and running, sans microphone and DVD atm, but trying to work thru that. SuperHAI and retail seems much more stable than iATKOS.

Thanks for your help in the other thread. I'm up and running, sans microphone and DVD atm, but trying to work thru that. SuperHAI and retail seems much more stable than iATKOS.

With your configuration, retail is the best option. Now that you have it up an running, you can install retail on an external drive make it bootable with all the required kexts and DSDT and then image it on to your laptop drive.

anyone ever run into an issue with the dvd burner not working at all? doesn't show up as a device. works fine to boot off of, but just doesnt show up in the OS. I haven't run across anything related to that in the various Dell threads. I think that's my last hurdle now. Thanks!

anyone ever run into an issue with the dvd burner not working at all? doesn't show up as a device. works fine to boot off of, but just doesnt show up in the OS. I haven't run across anything related to that in the various Dell threads. I think that's my last hurdle now. Thanks!

Hmm...what exactly do you mean by "doesn't show up". Is there anything in the system profiler under ATA and disk burning? What about the disk utility?

Are some Apple developers with access to OSX 10.7 Lion (Beta) here? It interests me if Lion will make further DSDT mods necessary or if an upgrade to Lion will be possible without problems, when the final version gets released.

MorLipf,

Lots of roaring about 10.7 going on in the "new releases and updates" sub-forum. From what I've gleaned so far, some peoples DSDTs are now causing HPET KPs while for some, it works. DSDT seems not to be the main issue though, it is the bootloader that has changed significant as well as some of the kexts e.g. audio.

I know I don't need to rush to get 10.7 working since it isn't even final and frankly I'm thinking it may be that my m1530 just isn't the right platform for it. Bought the wife a MB air and it is nice not worrying about hacks so I may just pony up the $ for a MBP. It will hurt but only for a little while.

Not sure if you M1330 guys noticed in MacGirl's thread or not but Adlan has made a perfectly working LAN driver for Broadcom 5XXX network cards, and it works great on the M1330! Woohoo! I was almost certain that the network card would never work under OS-X. I've updated the first post.

Immo

Not sure if you M1330 guys noticed in MacGirl's thread or not but Adlan has made a perfectly working LAN driver for Broadcom 5XXX network cards, and it works great on the M1330! Woohoo! I was almost certain that the network card would never work under OS-X. I've updated the first post.

Immo

yes Immo..

i already posted about it at MacGirl's thread.. works great on mine too :D

VoodooHDA 2.7.2 loads and functions with no kernel panics.

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=355

The Info.plist of the VoodooHDA.kext requires manual modification in order to permanently activate the SS2 to avoid the sound stuttering issue affecting some installations.

<key>Vectorize</key>
 <true/>

Setting Vectorize to true seems to be ignored when using 2.7.2 on my M1530 @ 10.6.6. Using the latest Chameleon.

Edit: The setting seems to be active, but not enabled in the prefpanel.

So I've updated Chameleon to the 747 version. The installer enables Generate P and C states. Is this necessary? I can remember reading these options are not needed for the M1530