[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Question for you RAID users: Have you been able to run a EFI setup with RAID? I can't do a full-blown test, but hear EFI boot used to work. Lately, I hear of RAID users having to switch from EFI to /Extra for a working setup.

MAJ

I reverted to /Extra since my efi partition failed to mount when I use that option. I didnt make a fresh install, I Carbon Copied my existing SL drive on to the raid drives, installed chameleon 2 RC3, copied the mac kernel and /extra folder to both Boot OSX drives on the 2 raid drives and updated my boot.plist with the correct UUID.

Everything works just like my previous setup

I see you are installing from Leopard. You need to uncheck the other install options like printer drivers and languages etc. Leave only the necessary files. You wont get the installation failed message. Click on the customise button when you have selected your drive to install to.

Remember to boot in single user mode and build caches as Leopard cant build SL boot caches.

Good luck

Thanks! worked like a charm, just dint read it in the guide...

So Installation was succesfull and i bootet with -s to build boot cache...

but after having waited for all the text on my screen, it hangs and says

"still waiting for root device"...

i think i already saw this message in some guide, and i already searched

for it nd there were only some complicated guides on how to fix that....

isnt there a simple way to get out of it? *fixed*

I get a blackscreen booting SL... trying to get the driver for my GPU now,

hopefully its the reason for it....

Thanks! worked like a charm, just dint read it in the guide...

So Installation was succesfull and i bootet with -s to build boot cache...

but after having waited for all the text on my screen, it hangs and says

"still waiting for root device"...

i think i already saw this message in some guide, and i already searched

for it nd there were only some complicated guides on how to fix that....

isnt there a simple way to get out of it?

Still waiting for root device means the OS loads your ICHX controller kexts but cant mount your drive, what you need to do is to enable AHCI in your bios. That is set your SATA Drive mode to AHCI. GO back to the start of this thread and view DD's screen shots

Okay, now the Installation worked, I enabled AHCI, then I

cud built bootcache,

but when I boot now, i see all the loading .kexts etc. ( like when u type -s )

and then, when it seems to end with this and load SL,

the Screen turns black, keyboard and mouse being enabled,

the computer doesnt restart or something.

May this be caused by my GPU which is not supported by the script?

( already tried the other DVI-Slot )

@ vintageawv: already enabled AHCI ?

Most 10.6.2 KP's are caused by old SleepEnabler. You will need to remove that sleep enabler from your stored kext folder, rebuild caches and reboot. If reboot works, you can download the SleepEnabler from my post, that one works.

Removing doesnt mean deleting the kext, it is still compiled into the extensions.mkext so you need to rebuild the boot cache in order to regenerate a new mkext.

I've done a clean install though, moving sleepenabler to the repository, then running DDs script. It wouldn't be compiled into extensions.mkext.

Correct?

but when I boot now, i see all the loading .kexts etc. ( like when u type -s )

and then, when it seems to end with this and load SL,

the Screen turns black, keyboard and mouse being enabled,

the computer doesnt restart or something.

May this be caused by my GPU which is not supported by the script?

Yup black screen is due to unsupported GPU. If you have Nvidia then install ATY_init to S/L/E, that should get you to boot into 32 bit mode. If you use ATI on the other hand then you need to use Evoenabler + PcEfi 10.5 bootloader and then add this to your boot.plist

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
 <string>Yes</string>

I've done a clean install though, moving sleepenabler to the repository, then running DDs script. It wouldn't be compiled into extensions.mkext.

Correct?

Yes thats correct, sorry I didnt see the screen shot thats why I scrapped the first reply to your post

No problem with sound whatsoever from here. I honestly dont see why people are having problems with VoodooHDA. The trick is to remove the 2 sound kexts in DD's folder and put VoodooHDa in that folder instead.

This way even if you update and Apple gives you a new AppleHda kext, it wont afftect your sound.

CruiSar,

I actually did what you said, and voodoo doesnt work for me... so i had to download DDs script take the 2 apple related kext from his audio and on top of voodoo kext from your post to get audio working for me...

maybe I am doing something wrong?

PS DOES ANYONE HAVE 10.6.1 Geforce related KEXT FILES!!! cause I am sure my windowserver KP is caused by 10.6.2 Nvidia related Kext... thanks!

I have a PERFECT working snow leopard install. Long time ago, I tried installing Window 7 on a separate HDD NTFS formatted HDD, but it messed up my snow leopard booting, causing it to KP all over the place and forcing me to reformat that HDD.

What is the BEST way to install Windows 7? Should I trying to installing it on a separate internal HDD? Should I disconnect the Mac Drive and install Window 7?

I have a PERFECT working snow leopard install. Long time ago, I tried installing Window 7 on a separate HDD NTFS formatted HDD, but it messed up my snow leopard booting, causing it to KP all over the place and forcing me to reformat that HDD.

What is the BEST way to install Windows 7? Should I trying to installing it on a separate internal HDD? Should I disconnect the Mac Drive and install Window 7?

I disconnect the mac drive to install win 7

I agree with other post, set bios to ACPI otherwise you may have problems with SL, disconnect SL HD and install

Windows on separate HD. I didn't do this so had to setup ACPI support in windows and it is just extra aggro

You obviously don't need chameleon on your windows drive

When done set up your primary bios boot disk to point at the SL drive

I have a stable 10.6.1 and would like to upgrade. I know it has been problematic.

Can someone point me to an upgrade post with directions. Searching this site is poo

thanks in advance!

There are only two things I can think of that have changed for our updates:

1. Make sure you are running the latest fakesmc.kext, instead of dsmos.kext

2. Remove SleepEnabler.kext and rebuild boot caches before the update. If you need it, then the version built for 10.6.2 should be installed after the update and reboot.

I disconnect the mac drive to install win 7

Just what I did and have had no problems whatsoever.

Nice that they finally included drivers for our hard drives' onboard Intel ICH10 chipset in the installer!

MAJ

Hi I was wondering if someone can help me out here..

I know that ATY_init is not 64 bit compatible right.... so if I was to use that and boot into 64 bit, i would end up getting some KP..

soo i was wondering.. what is another way of getting the right resolution but without the ATY_Init..

I am using a Geforce 6600GT its old I know.. its using NVDALH40...kext..

i was wondering what would be the best way.. i heard of adding EFI to the boot kext but I thought I did it and it didnt seem to work...

maybe someone can help me figure this out.... on getting EFI, something about getting a hex then using EFI studio to get a certain code..

how do i know its working or not?

Hi I was wondering if someone can help me out here..

I know that ATY_init is not 64 bit compatible right.... so if I was to use that and boot into 64 bit, i would end up getting some KP..

soo i was wondering.. what is another way of getting the right resolution but without the ATY_Init..

I am using a Geforce 6600GT its old I know.. its using NVDALH40...kext..

i was wondering what would be the best way.. i heard of adding EFI to the boot kext but I thought I did it and it didnt seem to work...

maybe someone can help me figure this out.... on getting EFI, something about getting a hex then using EFI studio to get a certain code..

how do i know its working or not?

Pookeye You can create Efi stings for your card by leting DD's script generate one for you. i think your card is in his list of supported GPU's.

To tell if it is working, just go into your System profiler and click on Graphics card. If ATy_init is the one being used, you will see netkas.org as the rom version and if Efi stings is the one being used, you will see 5 alphanumeric info instead.

If you boot in 64 bit mode and it works then ATY_init wont be loaded as it is only 32 bit compatible.

I have a two part question:

1) I just bought a XFX HD5870 to replace my HD 4870. I just swapped out the cards and booted and graphics work but resolution is stretched. My monitor is a Samsung Syncmaster T240 HD. I can't seem to get a good resoultion. When I first booted it was 1280x1024. I then changed the resolution in my boot plist to 1920x1400 but when I rebooted the monitor res was 1600x1200 with no other options to change it. Is there anyway I can get this to display at the correct resolution/aspect ratio? I know the card is new and read in Post #399 that this card is not supported. It seems to work I just need to figure out the resolution problem. Is there anyway to do this without a specific kext for the 5870? or am I just going to have to wait until its supported and use the 4890 in the mean time?

2) I have snow leopard 10.6.2 working well. But since the initial install I have moved, installed and removed some components. Mostly hard drives and now graphics card. Is there a way to re-run whatever the script uses to keep track of what devices you currently have installed and where. There must be a plist somewhere with uuids that needs to be updated now. Or can I continue to swap hard drives and install expansion cards as needed. What is the correct plan of action in this regard?

Thanks in advance...

:angel:

Wow for real? DD's script does EFI too? damn DD is the freaking best EVER!

alright alright, i was unaware of that, I'll go give that a shot.

thanks CruiSar,

PS Do you really only have Voodoo kext in your S\L\E?? does it have the AppleHDA and whatever else in that same folder too? but maybe not from DD's script?

Pookeye You can create Efi stings for your card by leting DD's script generate one for you. i think your card is in his list of supported GPU's.

To tell if it is working, just go into your System profiler and click on Graphics card. If ATy_init is the one being used, you will see netkas.org as the rom version and if Efi stings is the one being used, you will see 5 alphanumeric info instead.

If you boot in 64 bit mode and it works then ATY_init wont be loaded as it is only 32 bit compatible.

Ok, is there some magic trick to getting DD's script to install a bootloader? Have tried many times, always fails. Format HD (in this case disk 0) as GUID partition, run DD script, choose EFI install, run bootloader install sequence, choose PCI EFI 10.5 (or Cham 2)..... says it works, but files are always added/erased during the process!!!! Have tried running bootloader install 5,6,7 times in sequence, always the same behavior. HELP!

EDIT:

I should mention I'm running the install from my USB SL disk, which is itself a Cham2-based EFI install - would that make a difference?

Wow for real? DD's script does EFI too? damn DD is the freaking best EVER!

alright alright, i was unaware of that, I'll go give that a shot.

thanks CruiSar,

PS Do you really only have Voodoo kext in your S\L\E?? does it have the AppleHDA and whatever else in that same folder too? but maybe not from DD's script?

I have the original AppleHDA kext in S/L/E not the one in DD's 10.6 kext folder. I replace all kexts I want to use in DD's Pathcer folder during a clean install and run them using his script

post #1145 will fix this problem

Ok, is there some magic trick to getting DD's script to install a bootloader? Have tried many times, always fails. Format HD (in this case disk 0) as GUID partition, run DD script, choose EFI install, run bootloader install sequence, choose PCI EFI 10.5 (or Cham 2)..... says it works, but files are always added/erased during the process!!!! Have tried running bootloader install 5,6,7 times in sequence, always the same behavior. HELP!

EDIT:

I should mention I'm running the install from my USB SL disk, which is itself a Cham2-based EFI install - would that make a difference?

dear master, genius DD,

sorry to disturb you once again ......

i am totally crazy now.... cause i dont want to ask you

questions all the time....

everything works fine for me with my

EX58-UD4P board with ati 4870 graphik

your script (4.2.c) was perfect for that !!!!!!

audio, ethernet and sleep working as it best !!

with efi 10.5 also the fan of the 4870 keeps running...

but the 10.6.2 update makes me headeck all the time !!!!

after install (of course) i get CP with the (old) sleepenabler...

but after the exchange to the new 10.6.2 sleepenabler

i always get black screen after wake up ?!?!

it looks like the videocard doesnt wake up.

what can i do ?????

please help, before i'm totally crazy !!!

thanks a lot !!! and i hope to see you'r new

script with actual fakesmc...etc...etc... soon

but anyhow..... thanks a lot for the time you spent,

the knowledge you give to us (beginners)

to make this easy way(for newbees) possible !

kind regards

estofan (from munich bavaria)

Hey guys, its me again =)

So after thousands of issues i managed to get SL worked.

But now some more issues ^^

- my Ethernet connection doesnt work anymore.

neither on SL nor in Leopard partition.

Allready tried reinstalling kexts, no result.

tried to clear CMOS, no result.

Leopard says there is no cable connected, but it is and it works

(tested with asus netbook)

- "About this mac" ( SL ) says that prozessor is "Unknown 2,7GHz"

is that okay?

so far, just thanks to all the good replies!

My System Config:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920

MB: Gigabyte EX58-UD4P

Graphic: MSI N258GTX 1024

Ram: 3x 2GB PC1600 CL7 OCZ

First Seagate HDD ( 1TB ):

- Mac OS X v. 10.5.7

Second Seagate HDD ( 500GB ):

- SL in near future

Hey guys, its me again =)

So after thousands of issues i managed to get SL worked.

But now some more issues ^^

- my Ethernet connection doesnt work anymore.

neither on SL nor in Leopard partition.

Allready tried reinstalling kexts, no result.

tried to clear CMOS, no result.

Leopard says there is no cable connected, but it is and it works

(tested with asus netbook)

- "About this mac" ( SL ) says that prozessor is "Unknown 2,7GHz"

is that okay?

so far, just thanks to all the good replies!

My System Config:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920

MB: Gigabyte EX58-UD4P

Graphic: MSI N258GTX 1024

Ram: 3x 2GB PC1600 CL7 OCZ

First Seagate HDD ( 1TB ):

- Mac OS X v. 10.5.7

Second Seagate HDD ( 500GB ):

- SL in near future

in the past i had the same problem with the same mb.

i removed powerplug and battery on board for a while...

than it works again with the realtekR1000.kext