[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Pookeye You can create Efi stings for your card by leting DD's script generate one for you. i think your card is in his list of supported GPU's.

To tell if it is working, just go into your System profiler and click on Graphics card. If ATy_init is the one being used, you will see netkas.org as the rom version and if Efi stings is the one being used, you will see 5 alphanumeric info instead.

If you boot in 64 bit mode and it works then ATY_init wont be loaded as it is only 32 bit compatible.

how do you use DD's script to create the efi string for my 9400gt card? I'm not able to use osxtool86.

Nothing seems to work for me. I used "graphicsEnablers=yes" It didn't work.

Btw I managed to update to 10.6.2 by removing dmos and sleepenabler kexts and using the latest fakeSMC as DD suggested.

My final hurdle is getting QE/ci to work on 9400 Gt. If anyone can help me

with this I would really appreciate it.

how do you use DD's script to create the efi string for my 9400gt card? I'm not able to use osxtool86.

Btw I managed to update to 10.6.2 by removing dmos and sleepenabler kexts and using the latest fakeSMC as DD suggested.

Run option 8 to modify plist, select boot plist on the drive you installed SL to and then add efi strings

- "About this mac" ( SL ) says that prozessor is "Unknown 2,7GHz"

is that okay?

run the script and hit "Modify processor info" - the script changes the cpu info into the right description automatically. or you can change it to whatever you want ;)

There are only two things I can think of that have changed for our updates:

1. Make sure you are running the latest fakesmc.kext, instead of dsmos.kext

2. Remove SleepEnabler.kext and rebuild boot caches before the update. If you need it, then the version built for 10.6.2 should be installed after the update and reboot.

MAJ

Excuse the questions if it's an obvious answer:

1. How do I check if I am using fakesmc.kext or dsmos.kext? Where do i get the latest fakesmc.kext? Can I just delete dsmos.kext from somewhere and use kext helper to install fakesmc.kext?

2. Do I just delete SleepEnabler.kext, use your latest script to rebuild boot cahes, update vie software update, then plug in a new version of SleepEnabler.kext? where can i get the new version?

thanks for the hand holding on this!

i have to edit my post now, because i come closer to the problem...

it's the appleHDA.kext and the HDAenabler.kext

if i remove them... sleep works fine

otherwise i get black screen after wakeup.

any idea ???

Ok, is there some magic trick to getting DD's script to install a bootloader? Have tried many times, always fails. Format HD (in this case disk 0) as GUID partition, run DD script, choose EFI install, run bootloader install sequence, choose PCI EFI 10.5 (or Cham 2)..... says it works, but files are always added/erased during the process!!!! Have tried running bootloader install 5,6,7 times in sequence, always the same behavior. HELP!

Sorry about that, NeinDS. It's a bug in the script where I'm not allowing enough time after the EFI partition erase before attempting to unmount it. The EFI partition doesn't unmount, even when "forced" and, therefore, the partition gets erased when it attempts to remove the mountpoint.

Anyhow, for now, try running the bootloader install twice in succession. I believe the second attempt should be successful.

This issue is fixed in my current development version. I'll upload it when I get the RAID support finished in it.

MAJ

<SNIP>

with efi 10.5 also the fan of the 4870 keeps running...

but the 10.6.2 update makes me headeck all the time !!!!

i always get black screen after wake up ?!?!

it looks like the videocard doesnt wake up.

what can i do ?????

estofan (from munich bavaria)

I'm sorry, but I personally don't have an answer. I personally don't have sleep working on my 4870 x2, but I've just been too busy to bother with the issue. I just shut it down when finished, which allows me to shut down the UPS, as well, saving another 150W.

- my Ethernet connection doesnt work anymore.

neither on SL nor in Leopard partition.

I'd be tempted to boot into the BIOS and do the cable check. SMARTLAN1 and SMARTLAN2.

That'll answer whether it's hardware or software.

MAJ

I would like to know if anybody can't do work raid 5 with the BIOS on mac os x?

thx

No onboard RAID is supported. However, there are some RAID cards that work with the Macs, even OTB, like OTTO and HighPoint (i.e. RAID Rocket series). $$$$$$$ Too bad we can't take advantage of the onboard features.

Select Modify Plists, then select the boot plist that you need to modify.

Then select "A" for "Add a key and argument"

Select "device-properties" from the list

Select "2" for "Graphics from nVidia"

9400 is not on the list, so try "Generic" "#25"

Not sure if that'll work, as you may need to modify some strings in that graphics plist.

Let us know or consult the graphics forum for some answers. www.infinitemac.com or aquamac.proboards.com forums may have a answer.

EDIT:

Try this link:

The easiest way to install Nvidia 9400 GT

i have to edit my post now, because i come closer to the problem...

it's the appleHDA.kext and the HDAenabler.kext

if i remove them... sleep works fine

otherwise i get black screen after wakeup.

any idea ???

Thanks for that update. That's good to know. It is, however, odd that an audio kext would affect graphics. There's a lot going on under the hood.

I'm curious if the AppleHDA.kext that was removed is really the modified kext or the new kext that was installed by the 10.6.2 update. In either case, the AppleHDA.kext version that is now in S/L/E may actually be from 10.6.1

Installation completed. I encounter hang at AppleTymcedriver. Anyone know how to resolve this?

Looks like you need graphics card support. That line is typically the last line displayed prior to showing the desktop. So, basically, your system has booted to the desktop, but there's no way to display it. Depending on your card, it will either need a special driver or EFI string.

MAJ

I'm sorry, but I personally don't have an answer. I personally don't have sleep working on my 4870 x2, but I've just been too busy to bother with the issue. I just shut it down when finished, which allows me to shut down the UPS, as well, saving another 150W.

I agree with you MAJ. Turning off the PC is the best solution.

- my Ethernet connection doesnt work anymore.

-----------

I'd be tempted to boot into the BIOS and do the cable check. SMARTLAN1 and SMARTLAN2.

That'll answer whether it's hardware or software.

..or testing with another OS like windows/linux may help.

I had also this problem a long time ago : it was due to the Leopard network driver. After a lot of resets and shut downs the network worked perfectly. I supposed the network-chip was internally set to a wrong value/setup.

Perhaps a bios update will clear the network config (or a resetting value to default constructor...)

I agree with you MAJ. Turning off the PC is the best solution.

I got a Kill-a-Watt meter hooked up to my UPS, which runs all the computer equipment, which includes the 22" NEC CRT. It hovers around 400W during normal use. Monitor uses 100 of those watts. When the CPU cores are pegged at 100%, it jumps to right under 550W. Thought those figures would be interesting to those who may have wondered. The office is the warmest place in the apartment. :P

The UPS is 1500AV and really uses about 150W 30W (should have waited until CRT went into standby) with the CPU shutdown, so I turn that off, too.

I've been without work for the past 2 weeks, so I'm watching those pennies. ;)

MAJ

Tried a zillion times... no luck so far. Have a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 with I7 (920) 6 GB 3 way ram. 1 Terabyte disks with Leopard, 1 Terabyte disk for future use, 1 512GB for Snow Leopard (128GB GUD partition)

from Leopard followed the process as described. Unpacked the X58_Mobo_Patch_Installer. Overwrite the Kext 1.6 by moving the one in GA-EX58-UD5-Kext_SL.zip over it.

with disk util: erased the partition

executed steps 2,3,4

with the SL installation only the base + X11. Result "succesfull installation"

Now sidetrack: created an archive from SLE I assume this one is the only one being patched. So restoring it from this archive would prevent me from reinstalling SL when I need a clean setup. Hope this is correct.

step 5: and moved those 3 to system

step 6 update bootcache (Normal)

step 7 DSDT patcher

exited, rebooted

selected Snow Leopard partition and added flags "-s -v arch=i386"

See many extensions being loaded. Too fast to write down ;-)

Then kernel panic

Removed Extra

removed System/Library/Extensions

restored from SLE archive

removed the Kext 1.6.0 directory from X58_...Patch_Installer

Replaced the orginals (now there is a fakesmc instead of dsmos)

Run the installer again, now skipping 2,3,4

selected 5. did 4,5,7 to move those to SLE

Normal bootchache

back to main menu

now 6 Update boot cache, selected normal

7 again (not sure if this is necessary though)

than reboot

one more -s -v arch=i386

result Kernel Panic

Ok, from Leopard again

removed Extra

remove SLE

restored SLE from arcjhive

Went into the X58_Installer and removed (rm -rf) all the Kext1.6.0 directories besides misc.

Made sure only fakesmc and NullCPUPowerManagement were there

installed, normal boot cache, exit

from main menu option 6) Normal

reboot

Boot options: -s -v arch=i386

result Kernel Panic

Now I could do with a little help !!

(BTW have audio and firewire disabled in BIOS. (BIOS is F7) )

Tried a zillion times... no luck so far. Have a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 with I7 (920) 6 GB 3 way ram. 1 Terabyte disks with Leopard, 1 Terabyte disk for future use, 1 512GB for Snow Leopard (128GB GUD partition)

reboot

Boot options: -s -v arch=i386

result Kernel Panic

Now I could do with a little help !!

(BTW have audio and firewire disabled in BIOS. (BIOS is F7) )

Try my guide, it should get you up and running...just click on the link in my signature.

Try my guide, it should get you up and running...just click on the link in my signature.

I'll vouch for that! CruiSar's setup works perfectly for me, with two exceptions - switch to the newest version of the RealtekSL kext, and for me S3 sleep doesn't work - monitor goes off, computer goes non-responsive, fan stays on, computer won't come back from that state without being fully powered off.

Otherwise, use DD's 4.2c script, edit the Kext 10.6 directory with the kexts recommended by CruiSar, and you're golden.

I'll vouch for that! CruiSar's setup works perfectly for me, with two exceptions - switch to the newest version of the RealtekSL kext, and for me S3 sleep doesn't work - monitor goes off, computer goes non-responsive, fan stays on, computer won't come back from that state without being fully powered off.

Otherwise, use DD's 4.2c script, edit the Kext 10.6 directory with the kexts recommended by CruiSar, and you're golden.

Thanks NeinDS,

Do you still have issues with sleep and what GPU are you using?

I am about to build my ex58-ud5 system and would love to have it running in 64bit mode.

do i understand this right, that only the network kext and graphics don't allow

64 bit mode in this case at the moment?

i am pretty sure there is a 64 bit kext for the RealtekR1000

and i use a GF 8400GS, so just providing the efi strings should let it

work, also in 64 bit mode?

so if i follow this guide and just swap the RealtekR1000.kext, will i have

a working 64 bit setup?

any help regarding this setup in 64 bit mode would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance !

ram.

Yes, sleep does not work. Nvidia 9800+ - using EFI strings. At 10.6.2, dropped DSMOS and SleepEnabler, using FakeSMC 2.5.

Ok, you can try resetting your bios and then matching it to the screen shots from DD's Guide for using the script. Most sleep, shutdown/restart issues are related to bios settings.

so if i follow this guide and just swap the RealtekR1000.kext, will i have

a working 64 bit setup?

any help regarding this setup in 64 bit mode would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance !

ram.

64 bit mode works flawlessly, check out my guide.

Cruisar how did you get your kexts working in /Extra on your stripped raid. Although my /Extra folder seems to be recognised from "Boot OSX" partitions I can't seem to get kexts to load without placing them in /S/L/E.

I cloned my existing working snow install onto the Raid Drive then I copied the mach kernel, and Extra folder to the 2 Boot OSX partitions, installed Chameleon onto them and everything works. Try cloning instead of making a new install to the RAID drive.

I burnt this boot CD and used it to boot and install off the Retail DVD. You can use DD's script from a working Leopard or SL install. I prefer usnig the BootCD because I can build my bootcaches without booting in single user mode and I get to install everything.

I tried your guide, it's excellent :). But i can't boot from the boot CD... When I type in -v at the boot prompt, everything seems loaded (last lines are the Appletymcedriver and the sound assertions) but i get no image.... When I boot with -v -x i also get no image :S.... I have a Radeon 4870 HD, are the drivers for video not on the boot cd or has it been burned wrong?

I tried your guide, it's excellent :( . But i can't boot from the boot CD... When I type in -v at the boot prompt, everything seems loaded (last lines are the Appletymcedriver and the sound assertions) but i get no image.... When I boot with -v -x i also get no image :S.... I have a Radeon 4870 HD, are the drivers for video not on the boot cd or has it been burned wrong?

Sorry about the bootCd not working for you. As at the date of its compilation, it supported only Nvidia Cards and some old ATI cards. Try this version instead and let me know if it works for your card. If it does I will update my Guide with both versions.

Cheers

I've noticed a great deal of people having trouble getting Voodoo HDA working. This was also puzzling me for quite a while but I think I've got it figured out now. I was under the impression that it would allow me to use multiple sound out ports to give me 5.1 surround sound with different amplifiers.

From what I can tell Voodoo HDA only works with the Headphones port at the front of the computer and not with any of the other ports.

Another problem I was having was getting sleep (wakeup) working after playing with things and updating to 10.6.2. I discovered that by swapping the IONetworkingFamily from DD's script with an RealtekR1000 I fixed the problem.

Sorry about the bootCd not working for you. As at the date of its compilation, it supported only Nvidia Cards and some old ATI cards. Try this version instead and let me know if it works for your card. If it does I will update my Guide with both versions.

Cheers

Could you maybe upload it to another site please because rapidshare is always telling that the download slots for free users are full :wacko:. Thanks already for the help :).

I've noticed a great deal of people having trouble getting Voodoo HDA working. This was also puzzling me for quite a while but I think I've got it figured out now. I was under the impression that it would allow me to use multiple sound out ports to give me 5.1 surround sound with different amplifiers.

From what I can tell Voodoo HDA only works with the Headphones port at the front of the computer and not with any of the other ports.

Another problem I was having was getting sleep (wakeup) working after playing with things and updating to 10.6.2. I discovered that by swapping the IONetworkingFamily from DD's script with an RealtekR1000 I fixed the problem.

How so? VoodooHda works with original AppleHda Kext in S/L/E. There must be something going on under the hood of your setup. I use VoodooHda with my Logitech Z5500, 6 channel direct 5.1 surround sound with the three orange, black and green ports at the back of the computer.

My headphone ports work too but inorder to use them, I have to go into system preferences and select them as output instead of line out

Could you maybe upload it to another site please because rapidshare is always telling that the download slots for free users are full :wacko: . Thanks already for the help :) .

ok Will let you know when its ready for download. I have sent a request to the one responsible for those files so I hope he replies soon.

post-371855-1260722121_thumb.png