[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Weird...hmm...is this a fresh install or you just updated the kext. In most cases it should work but if you used the ifconfig hack before changing the kext then it wont work. Considering sleep problems, I do not use dual monitors so I cannot help you with that.

Considering Efi strings, Aquamacs Guide is really easy to follow but then again DD's script is as good so I dont know how you got that error of it not being inserted properly. I use the bootPlist in Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguarion, that is where I have my Efi string inserted.

I'm not sure what you meant by the ifconfig hack. It's kind of a fresh install yes. I did a fresh install with DD's method and then fiddled around with your kexts. It took me quite some reboots to get everything working. But that's more due to me being such a n00b.

Anyway, I'm just really unsure how to fix the dualscreen isue!

Do you have any thoughts on network bugs? Before I installed your suggestions (VoodooHDA and Realtek1000) I had no problem with connecting to other macs/pcs/Airport disks, but after it I don't have this functionality anymore. Could this even be caused by kexts or is this because if something else?

And, I must say that I briefly tried booting in 64-bit, but audio wasn't working and I got a kernel panic after launching safari. Should I do a complete and fresh reinstall just to make sure maybe?

Hi

tried it, but not succesfull. However, I got the message... Some time ago I created a USB boot install stick. Snow Leopard that is. Used this one to boot. Ran disk util for a clean partition. Ran installer. And then choose the terminal.

Went to the Leopard disk where DD scripts and stuff were lying around. Manually moved those kext you advised to /Volume/Snow Leopard/Extra and ran DD's script. Updated the bootcaches and rebooted

How beautifull. I got the intro video. Reeaaaalllllll slow. But I got it booting. 32 bit though. Copied the data from my Leopard installation (network, and the lot).

Fiddled around. And currently I have 1.6.2 running. Audio works perfect, no panic as in Leopard if there is no audio device attached ..., firewire seems to be there, both networks are present (indeed that ...R1000.kext is needed) And surprise, my JMicron SATA slots are now recognised. Now there is no disk attached to these slots, but they are reported...

Added my string in the boot.plist. First in SLE but this one made no difference. Than in /Extra, and yes. Two monitors, way faster, and it now sees the whole 512MB (instead of the initial 32MB).

And indeed in this boot.plist was a arch=i386 flag. Removed that one too. And voila 64 bit all around.

I keep a close watch on the USB stick. It is a life safer indeed.

Thanks a lot!!

Now let te holiday start. I have soooo many photo's that need a little work. Currently installing the applications. Looks fine indeed. I already feel the holiday will be way too short :):D

Will also try to install vmware. Yep have one app that is only avail for M$. I need that app for making my motorcycle trips.

I'm not sure what you meant by the ifconfig hack. It's kind of a fresh install yes. I did a fresh install with DD's method and then fiddled around with your kexts. It took me quite some reboots to get everything working. But that's more due to me being such a n00b.

Anyway, I'm just really unsure how to fix the dualscreen isue!

Do you have any thoughts on network bugs? Before I installed your suggestions (VoodooHDA and Realtek1000) I had no problem with connecting to other macs/pcs/Airport disks, but after it I don't have this functionality anymore. Could this even be caused by kexts or is this because if something else?

And, I must say that I briefly tried booting in 64-bit, but audio wasn't working and I got a kernel panic after launching safari. Should I do a complete and fresh reinstall just to make sure maybe?

If config is a hack that allows Bonjour to work, it was used when the Realtek1000 kext at that time didnt support bonjour.

I normally dont fiddle around with kexts unless I am trying to get a desired effect. I install kexts in 2 ways using DD''s script. I either replace the kexts I need and make a fresh install or I install and after I replace the needed kexts. They both work on all occassions.

I can easliy connect my Medion Laptop running Leopard 10.5.8 and I am able to share screen, browse discs and even control iTunes with remote on my iPhone. And all this happens using the realtek1000 in my post. It is actually one that was linked by another geek.

Honestly I dont know why things arent working for you. Can you please attach a log file as a text file and maybe I can find out whats really happening under the hood of your setup

Hi again. I am not getting anywhere yet. After several attempts and reboots, I am trying the extreme step of completely erasing the drive, starting over again. I thought that SNL had to go on top of Leopard? We shall see.

I was hopping to get some work done and I really thought this was a relatively simple process.

:blink: Oye Vie!!

Wondering, in no particular order:

1. Does it matter if I have 10.5 and 10.6 kexts mixed in?
  2. Why does the (DD) script use the CD and ignore the ISO on the USB? I thought (using a thumb iso) would make many attempts to install much faster?
  3. Does going back and forth between this script and the one on life hacker create problems?
  4. Does SNL really need to point to a drive with Leopard already installed?

I know others are also busy and I am learning what I can, but, I could use some help for sure.

Thanks

If config is a hack that allows Bonjour to work, it was used when the Realtek1000 kext at that time didnt support bonjour.

I normally dont fiddle around with kexts unless I am trying to get a desired effect. I install kexts in 2 ways using DD''s script. I either replace the kexts I need and make a fresh install or I install and after I replace the needed kexts. They both work on all occassions.

I can easliy connect my Medion Laptop running Leopard 10.5.8 and I am able to share screen, browse discs and even control iTunes with remote on my iPhone. And all this happens using the realtek1000 in my post. It is actually one that was linked by another geek.

Honestly I dont know why things arent working for you. Can you please attach a log file as a text file and maybe I can find out whats really happening under the hood of your setup

CruiSAr, I greatly appreciate your help! It's a big eye opener. I almost feel ashamed of asking dumb question, but I did read the guides thoroughly and I even read the osx86 wiki. Still, it shows that I have a huge lack of knowledge on this topic (proven by the fact that I didn't know anything of ifconfig hack).

As for now, I'm going for a holiday. So no more fiddling around with kexts. When I come home I will do a full and fresh reinstall to make sure that I'm not littering the kernel with useless extensions that mess up the system. I know exactly what kexts to use and how to install the EFI string.

I'll report back at you when I've tried this. Happy holidays and thanks for your expertise!

Hi again. I am not getting anywhere yet. After several attempts and reboots, I am trying the extreme step of completely erasing the drive, starting over again. I thought that SNL had to go on top of Leopard? We shall see.

I was hopping to get some work done and I really thought this was a relatively simple process.

:blink: Oye Vie!!

Wondering, in no particular order:

1. Does it matter if I have 10.5 and 10.6 kexts mixed in?
  2. Why does the (DD) script use the CD and ignore the ISO on the USB? I thought (using a thumb iso) would make many attempts to install much faster?
  3. Does going back and forth between this script and the one on life hacker create problems?
  4. Does SNL really need to point to a drive with Leopard already installed?

I know others are also busy and I am learning what I can, but, I could use some help for sure.

Thanks

1. Yes it matters, don't mix up kexts unless you know for sure they are SL compatible

2. DD's script uses the CD because it is scripted as such.

3. Stick to one guide that way you gain experience, running back and forth btn 2 guides will only confuse you.

4. No SL doesnt need to point to a drive with Leopard already installed, It is recommended to install from scratch either from a Boot CD or from a machine already running OSX Leopard or Snow Leopard. (if I understood what you meant)

Install Failed Bla bla bla ... :blink:

The DD script mentions that it is for a specific set of hardware. I have worked with this x58 parameter (of the related DD thread for Leopard and this board). But I do have the GA-X58 UD4P which may be slightly different. Am I missing something here?

I ran the script, again. I had already erased the target ahead of time, just in case that made a difference. I know, that was probably brainless noob stupidity. I am trying what I can think of, sorry. What is it, besides the download mentioned in the beginning of this DD thread, that I am needing, but obviously not finding?

Very happy for any help.

Thanks

Install Failed Bla bla bla ... :blink:

The DD script mentions that it is for a specific set of hardware. I have worked with this x58 parameter (of the related DD thread for Leopard and this board). But I do have the GA-X58 UD4P which may be slightly different. Am I missing something here?

I ran the script, again. I had already erased the target ahead of time, just in case that made a difference. I know, that was probably brainless noob stupidity. I am trying what I can think of, sorry. What is it, besides the download mentioned in the beginning of this DD thread, that I am needing, but obviously not finding?

Very happy for any help.

Thanks

Installed failed! Did u uncheck the unnesecary stuff before clicking install? I mean printer support etc etc. If you are installing from Leopard, you need to install the required stuff, uncheck all the other uneeded stuff.

Your mobo is similar to ours, I think the only difference will be that you do not have dual lan and your audio codec may be different. That shouldnt be a big problem. You must be doing something wrong.

4.No SL doesn't need to point to a drive with Leopard already installed, It is recommended to install from scratch either from a Boot CD or from a machine already running OSX Leopard or Snow Leopard. (if I understood what you meant)
Yes, you understood what I was saying. Thanks. I am also sticking with this forums help, staying focused on learning just one method.

I also have bios v6 and I see there is a bios v8, plus a new beta out. I dug out my floppy and I plan to update my bios in case that is any help.

Other than that, what am I missing that the install fails? That is from the plain vanilla script and downloaded kexts (I think - maybe I still have some of the messed up Kexts, will re-download and retry).

That should do it though, right?

Does the EFI software that I was using to get my graphics card right in 10.5 still work for this?

Thanks again.

Yes, you understood what I was saying. Thanks. I am also sticking with this forums help, staying focused on learning just one method.

I also have bios v6 and I see there is a bios v8, plus a new beta out. I dug out my floppy and I plan to update my bios in case that is any help.

Other than that, what am I missing that the install fails? That is from the plain vanilla script and downloaded kexts (I think - maybe I still have some of the messed up Kexts, will re-download and retry).

That should do it though, right?

Does the EFI software that I was using to get my graphics card right in 10.5 still work for this?

Thanks again.

I'm assuming you know you can update your bios from a USB stick and get an uncompressed bios by googling a well

known motherboard forum? Personally I don't think it will make much difference

When you say your install failed, could you clarify what messages you see when you knew it failed, ie is it the

DD script saying it failed, or is it chameleon when you try booting SL or is it SL itself?

When you erased your SL hard disk did you set it up HFS+ journalled using GUID partitioning with 1 partition?

I'm assuming since you have retail Leopard running your bios settings are reasonably OK?

I'm also assuming you have Leopard installed on one hard disk and can see the hard disk contents of the disk you

are trying to install Snow Leopard on?

If so, what can you see on the SL disk when looking from Leopard

No idea about the EFI software you mention for a 9800, I've been using ATI but provided you have the right card

its fairly easy

Hi guys,

I'm plan on building a new SL rig based on the GA-EX58-UD5 and was curious what issues people had (if any) with 10.6.2? Are there specific installation headaches or issues I should focus on?

I used Digital Dream's script to install the original 10.6.0 and no issues back then, but I never updated to the latest 10.6.2. Also, it seems there are new versions of Chameleon, FakeSMC, etc. Are you guys able to use them with 10.6.2?

Thanks for any feedback,

Sean

Hi there!

I wanna thank to everyone working on this thread, is really great :P

Now, I REALLY need your help! :S

Everytime I try to boot, I get this black with gray squares screen; I have done all the steps (Extra method), and had no luck.

I have a GAEX59 UD5 mobo, and an ATI HD4550 video card.

Perhaps I need to delete the ATI2000 kext, I don't know, I'm gonna give it a try.

EDIT: I had been able to boot in safe mode, But I also can not use the mouse, it does not recognize it

Thanks in advance for your help

The sequence you describe of updating the sleepenabler is right on the money.

(Sequence decribed was: remove sleepenabler, update to 10.6.2, install new sleepenabler)

Hi MAJ

I finally succeded in installing a working 10.6.2.

For information, here is what I did:

- Downloaded latest secript verison (4.2c) from Digital Dreamer signature

- Expanded the script zip file, and deleted all occurences (to be sure;)) of sleepenabler.kext

- Downloaded the 10.6.2 version of sleepenabler.kext

- Ran the script (from 10.5.7) using the "1 Run entire install sequence" option and installer 10.6 on my second drive.

- Once the install finished, I rebooted on 10.6.0

- I changed the boot.plist to include the EFI string of my video card (taken from my 10.5 boot.plist)

- Updated to 10.6.2 using the combo update downloaded from Apple (I did not reboot at the end of the install).

- I put the 10.6.2 version of sleepenabler.kext in the Kexts_10.6/Misc_Patches directory of the script

- Launch the script and selected option "5 Run kext/kernel installer".

- The sleepenabler was in the list, I did not change any setting and selected "Normal cache build"

- I rebooted.

10.6.2 was working fine (network OK, sleep OK, firewire+time machine: not tested yet), no KP at any time) but there is no sound device.

I tried different ways to get audio working, but I did not succeeded.

Here is the procedure I used, maybe it is not correct and the cause of my problems:

- I went in the Kexts_10.6/_Audio directory of the script directory

- Removed AppleHDA and HDAEnabler kext that were there (as audio was not working with this kexts) and replaced the by some kext taken in the _repository directory (I tried VoodooHDA then ALC889a, and so on, I don't remeber all the tests I done)

- Launch the script and selected option "5 Run kext/kernel installer", I did not change any setting and selected "Normal cache build"

- I rebooted.

=> No change, each time I have no audio device.

Why is the defaults AppleHDA/HDAEnabler not working ? Could it be related to a bios (EX58-UD with Bios F8) setting ? (note that sounds works fine in 10.5.7)

Which combination of kext should I use to get the audio working ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Everytime I try to boot, I get this black with gray squares screen; I have done all the steps (Extra method), and had no luck.

I have a GAEX59 UD5 mobo, and an ATI HD4550 video card.

Perhaps I need to delete the ATI2000 kext, I don't know, I'm gonna give it a try.

Yep, you need to delete the ATI2000X.kext or install the updated drivers for that card. Don't know about that particular one, but I'm sure the graphics forum will provide a clue.

Don't know about the mouse issue. What mouse do you have?

Why is the defaults AppleHDA/HDAEnabler not working ? Could it be related to a bios (EX58-UD with Bios F8) setting ? (note that sounds works fine in 10.5.7)

Which combination of kext should I use to get the audio working ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have a updated script with different audio kexts in the audio folder now. Try them. They are just a "HDAEnabler.kext" and "LegacyHDA.kext" and should work in /Extra!

If it doesn't work, it may be that you don't have the latest AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.2, as the 10.6.1 version may have been restored during the AppleHDA.kext uninstall. Go into that AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E and open package and check the version # of the info.plist. It should be 1.7.9a4

And, make sure there isn't a "AppleHDA.kext.original" there. Delete it if present.

SCRIPT UPDATE!

See front page.

MAJ

I have a updated script with different audio kexts in the audio folder now. Try them. They are just a "HDAEnabler.kext" and "LegacyHDA.kext" and should work in /Extra!

If it doesn't work, it may be that you don't have the latest AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.2, as the 10.6.1 version may have been restored during the AppleHDA.kext uninstall. Go into that AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E and open package and check the version # of the info.plist. It should be 1.7.9a4

And, make sure there isn't a "AppleHDA.kext.original" there. Delete it if present.

SCRIPT UPDATE!

See front page.

MAJ

DD, awesome! Looking forward to trying out tomorrow/weekend. Are the new SleepEnabler and *HDA* kexts you reference compatible w/ 64-bit?

Big Thanks to DD and CruisAr for the awesome support you have provided us all.

I managed to update to 10.6.2 successfully and also got nVidia 9400gt 1gb with QE/CI to work in 32 and 64bit.

if anyone is interested, I updated the boot.plist with the EFI strings that I got from OSX86tool.

<key> GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>6c0200000100000001000000600200000d00000002010c00d041030a010000000101060000030

101060000007fff04000e0000004e00560050004d0000002000000001000000000000000000000000

000000000000000000000000000000220000005600520041004d002c0074006f00740061006c00730

069007a006500000008000000000000401c0000006400650076006900630065005f00740079007000

650000000f0000004e5644412c506172656e740e0000006e0061006d00650000000b0000006469737

06c617922000000400030002c006400650076006900630065005f00740079007000650000000b0000

00646973706c617922000000400031002c006400650076006900630065005f0074007900700065000

0000b000000646973706c6179100000006d006f00640065006c0000001a0000006e56696469612047

65466f726365203934303020475420000000400031002c0063006f006d00700061007400690062006

c00650000000e0000004e5644412c4e564d616314000000400030002c006e0061006d006500000012

0000004e5644412c446973706c61792d4114000000400031002c006e0061006d00650000001200000

04e5644412c446973706c61792d4220000000400030002c0063006f006d0070006100740069006200

6c00650000000e0000004e5644412c4e564d6163100000004e0056004300410050000000180000000

4000000000003000c00000000000007000000001e00000072006f006d002d00720065007600690073

0069006f006e0000002e0000006e5669646961204765466f7263652039343030204754204f70656e4

74c20456e67696e65205b4546495d</string>

Quick question guys,

I'm planning to buy a Presonus Firebox which is an audio interface with firewire connection. It states that it will run using CoreAudio and no drivers are required.

Does CoreAudio already exist or do i need to install an audio kext to have coreaudio?

Thanks

I'm assuming you know you can update your bios from a USB stick and get an uncompressed bios by googling a well

known motherboard forum? Personally I don't think it will make much difference

When you say your install failed, could you clarify what messages you see when you knew it failed, ie is it the

DD script saying it failed, or is it chameleon when you try booting SL or is it SL itself?

When you erased your SL hard disk did you set it up HFS+ journalled using GUID partitioning with 1 partition?

I'm assuming since you have retail Leopard running your bios settings are reasonably OK?

I'm also assuming you have Leopard installed on one hard disk and can see the hard disk contents of the disk you

are trying to install Snow Leopard on?

If so, what can you see on the SL disk when looking from Leopard

No idea about the EFI software you mention for a 9800, I've been using ATI but provided you have the right card

its fairly easy

Yes, thanks. Had a ethernet failure, was glad to read this is common on this board and power off and CMOS reset fixed it. To your kind reply;

Yes I am fairly confident about the bios settings as I did them many times in the beginning and have been running and over-clocking (watching temps) for many months now.

Update: Last night I finally did get the install to work. I had probably gotten old 10.5 KEXTS mixed in with new 10.6 KEXTS. When I reloaded the download folder it worked.

My card:

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX DDL:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX DDL

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0613

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: 3172a

Of course in SNL still has no functioning graphics driver except that it shows in poor resolution and not edge to edge. In Leopard I used EFISTUDIO (from this forum) to get the string correctly set up. I am a little confused yet as far as 10.5 vs 10.6. If I have successfully found a working string in 10.5, should I copy that to the SNL build?

I apologize again for my noobness, I don't completely understand how to tell if something is 32 or 64 bit compliant? I presume with my relatively modern system build and snl, if 64 bit is available and makes computing faster, I would want to take advantage of using it.

I see there is a recent script update. I can try this again if that is the best way to get it all working.

Can't tell yet about ethernet. I will send this off and go boot into snl and see.

I wasn't sure I could boot the bios and point to a stick. I can try that and see if it works. No, it probably wont make a difference per se, but it does appear that from version 6 to version 8 there were some positive fixes that should be good for my set up.

Again, thanks

ADDED: I'm afraid I don't know the "well known" MOBO forum you mentioned?

IMPORTANT ADDED: Can I use the old tools that worked in 10.5 with 10.6?

Specifically 0SX86Tools and EFISTUDIO?

PS - Just downloaded DD's new script. Did not replace it with the apparently old KEXTS download. Got a failed install. ;)

Excuse the questions if it's an obvious answer:

1. How do I check if I am using fakesmc.kext or dsmos.kext? Where do i get the latest fakesmc.kext? Can I just delete dsmos.kext from somewhere and use kext helper to install fakesmc.kext?

2. Do I just delete SleepEnabler.kext, use your latest script to rebuild boot cahes, update vie software update, then plug in a new version of SleepEnabler.kext? where can i get the new version?

thanks for the hand holding on this!

can i get an assit with this? Where do I look for fakesmc.kext or dsmos.kext?

I see SleepEnabler.kext in Extra/Stored_Kexts , do i need to delete it from here?

thanks

Yes, thanks. Had a ethernet failure, was glad to read this is common on this board and power off and CMOS reset fixed it. To your kind reply;

Of course in SNL still has no functioning graphics driver except that it shows in poor resolution and not edge to edge. In Leopard I used EFISTUDIO (from this forum) to get the string correctly set up. I am a little confused yet as far as 10.5 vs 10.6. If I have successfully found a working string in 10.5, should I copy that to the SNL build?

I apologize again for my noobness, I don't completely understand how to tell if something is 32 or 64 bit compliant? I presume with my relatively modern system build and snl, if 64 bit is available and makes computing faster, I would want to take advantage of using it.

I see there is a recent script update. I can try this again if that is the best way to get it all working.

ADDED: I'm afraid I don't know the "well known" MOBO forum you mentioned?

IMPORTANT ADDED: Can I use the old tools that worked in 10.5 with 10.6?

Specifically 0SX86Tools and EFISTUDIO?

PS - Just downloaded DD's new script. Did not replace it with the apparently old KEXTS download. Got a failed install. :unsure:

Personally I would just get a new Radeon 4870 and make sure it is an ATI reference type and save yourself a whole

load of grief, mine just worked out of the box with PCEFI - go to the ATI web site and look for 4870 and where to buy

for a list. I don't think they are that expensive now. If you try to match your hardware as close as possible to what

Apple sells you will have an easier life

For the mobo site try googling tweaktown - I don't think we are allowed to post links off site

As for DD's script, I don't know I didn't use any scripts but it seems to work for most people

not sure, I haven't needed many tools, I only use kext utility for test hacks and the EVO DSDT editor

Still not sure what you mean by failed install

hey guys!

Two days ago, i updated iPhoto and then it also started updating all the other apps like iMovie etc. and im sure it updated also Mac OS itself.

So im not really sure which version of SL im using atm, but it has to be 10.6.2 after updating, doesnt it?

After having updated, i get a kernel panic:

panic(cpu calller 0xfffff80002cdad4): "Version mis-match between Kernel and CPU PM"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu.1486.2.11/osfmk/i386/pmCPU.c:681
Debugger called:
Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address
"codes"
"codes"
"codes"
"codes"

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies) :
sk.triaxis.kext.SleepEnabler(1.0.0)@xffffff7f806a7000->0xffffff7f806a8fff

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Unknown

Mac OS version:
Not yet set

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 10.2.0: Tue Nov 3 10:35:19 PSZ 2009; root:xnu-1486.2. [...]
System model name: MacPro3,1

System uptime [...]

I already worked on solving this problem by searchin in this forum and here is what i already tried:

- download + install updated Sleepenabler.kext

- start without having Sleepenabler.kext installed

- rename System model name (MacPro4,1) to MacPro3,1 [i read that it some forum...]

- reinstall bootloader, kexts etc. - manually and with X58 mobo patch script

- edit boot.plist - insert arch=x86_64 ( coz "-v -arch=i386" was enabled )

Well thats it... from all these steps you can see im just despairing...

Any idea on how to solve the problem?

thanks!

My System:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2,66Ghz

GPU: msi N285GTX 1024mb

Mobo: Gigabyte EX58-UD4P

HDD: 1) Seagate 500GB - Snow Leopard [not working atm]

2) Seagate 1000GB - iAtkos v7 (-> Leopard) [working]

Still not sure what you mean by failed install

The last of the install process, once the SNL retail disk had begun, ended in a yellow triangle exclamation and the words, "Install Failed", contact manufacturer for assistance. When it later succeeded I got the screen wtih the green mark and the check mark over it and the message sucess or install succeeded or whatever it said (can't remember now).

For the mobo site try googling tweaktown - I don't think we are allowed to post links off site

Thanks. I normally go to the Taiwanese site as they seem to have more consistent products. Example, when I first looked for a manual on my Giga UD4P board I downloaded it from the USA site, and it was the wrong manual. A friend who has build machines for many years (this is my first) made that suggestion and from my limited experience, it seems a good one.

I will check out that other site you just mentioned, thanks.

Personally I would just get a new Radeon 4870 and make sure it is an ATI reference type and save yourself a whole load of grief, mine just worked out of the box with PCEFI - go to the ATI web site and look for 4870 and where to buy for a list. I don't think they are that expensive now. If you try to match your hardware as close as possible to what Apple sells you will have an easier life

I can't make sense of this. I bought my NVIDEA card new just this last spring. I got a good card from what I can tell. And I don't have more dollars to be generous with right now anyway.

EFISTUDIO had it right and the card has worked perfectly in Leopard. Does EFISTUDIO no longer work the same way with SNL?

... not sure, I haven't needed many tools, I only use kext utility for test hacks and the EVO DSDT editor

Thanks, hopefully someone here knows and will chime in. Again, if I get a go ahead on using the old Leopard tools I Mentioned, I can make this card work (I assume) with SNL. But again, I do not understand how SNL is different.

can i get an assit with this? Where do I look for fakesmc.kext or dsmos.kext?

I see SleepEnabler.kext in Extra/Stored_Kexts , do i need to delete it from here?

thanks

What are you trying to do, update to 10.6.2? If yes, you can get Fakemsc.kext from DD's script download. Yeah you need to delete it and then update bootcaches, downlaod and install 10.6.2, reboot. Copy 10.6.2 sleep enabler to Extra/Stored_kext, update bootchaches and then reboot...you should be fine

What are you trying to do, update to 10.6.2? If yes, you can get Fakemsc.kext from DD's script download. Yeah you need to delete it and then update bootcaches, downlaod and install 10.6.2, reboot. Copy 10.6.2 sleep enabler to Extra/Stored_kext, update bootchaches and then reboot...you should be fine

thanks CruiSAr, i'll give it a shot!