[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

The process if followed correctly is pretty easy:

How to update to 10.6.2:

- Delete existing SleepEnabler.kext located in /Extra, update caches and restart

- Install 10.6.2 update and restart.

- After booting into OSX 10.6.2, install attached SleepEnabler_10.6.2_.kext to /Extra and update caches.

POST #661

It seems to me that you messed up the sequence. Delete your original sleepenabler kext first > install update > install new sleepenabler kext ( using script or KEXT tool/app ) exactly like above and you should be OK.

Thanks for your quick reply! However I still get KP after updating to 10.6.2

1. Removed SleepEnabler and updated cache

2. Rebooted

3. Applied 10.6.2

4. Rebooted and KP

post-431056-1258948789_thumb.jpg

Am I only one getting this? :-) Thanks.

For some reason my JMicron ata controller is showing up as unknown. In system profiler it shows my DVD drive but it is listed as an unknown ATA controller.

Installed:

AHCIPortInjector.kext

JMicronATA.kext

LegacyJMB36xSATA.kext

(grey labeled)

To /Extra

I'm trying to use my Windows 7 hard drive on the first port and the DVD drive on the 2nd JMicron ports.

Looks like the first port is dead. However, now the drive automounts in OS X as orange drives (Yeah for some weird reason my Windows 7 install has a System Reserved & a Windows partition)

Anyway to fix this? Or just make them not automount would work. I'd rather know both solutions.

I know they aren't as good as the Intel ones....but it should work, right?

Yeah it works, but JMicron ports still suck! Oh well the drive works in VMWare and Windows 7 doesn't seem to care.

I finally got sleep working using stock CPU speeds today and all the necessary DSDT patches.....after waking up from one particular sleep I unexpectedly experienced a Maxtor DiamondMax22 1TB drive fail...corrupted firmware...wasn't showing up in bios...stuck in BSY cycle...and then fixed it myself with no help from Seagate whatsoever (I'm still sending the drive back!) I decided it might be a good idea to use 4 drives for a RAID 10 (Double mirror Striped) So, my Intel SATA ports are all full up now.

Also I switched over from my graphics EFI string to use a NVIDIA.ROM file. I think someone else in this thread had the same problem...but I also have it now showing up as a 9800GTK+ instead of GTX+. I wonder if this is just some problem with Chameleon. I hear there are some new NVIDIA drivers on the way though, crossing my fingers for HDMI audio output!

post-19861-1258954727_thumb.png

Thanks for your quick reply! However I still get KP after updating to 10.6.2

1. Removed SleepEnabler and updated cache

2. Rebooted

3. Applied 10.6.2

4. Rebooted and KP

Am I only one getting this? :-) Thanks.

You should be using the new fakesmc.kext, instead of dsmos.kext. That should take care of it.

Also, always install the modified kexts/update boot caches after a OS update, but before the restart. Two reasons for this:

1. If you are using Apple-named modified kexts in S/L/E, like IONetworkingFamily.kext, they will get overwritten by the update.

2. A boot cache update before system update won't necessarily reflect the installed kexts.

You can get away with this if you only have modified kexts in /Extra or /EFI and the boot caches only include those kexts.

MAJ

Working SL 10.6.2 32/64 Bit Install

Please read carefully and thoroughly, dont just scroll through because when things dont work the way you want them to, you'll start posting and asking questions that have already been answered in this post.

Updated on 10/11/09

NOTE: If updating to 10.6.2 from fresh SL install or 10.6.1 then replace SLEEP ENABLER with the attached one. Delete the one in your /Extra/Stored_kexts folder, run DD's script and use option 6 to rebuild caches. Install 10.6.2 update, reboot.

Copy attached SleepEnabler to /Extra/Stored_kexts, run DD's script again to update boot caches and everything should be fine.

I have a rock solid 10.6.1 32bit only install, that I'm loath to mess with, so have done this install on another drive

It all works for me, but I get a KP on wake from sleep (within a minute or so).

How can I track down what's causing this KP? what logs should I be looking at?

I think it might be lan related, so I guess if I disable the NIC in the bios, and then see if it will wake without a KP.

Do I need a certain BIOS for this setup? I have F7 (F9E causes my solid setup to KP on wake from sleep).

If it is LAN related I guess I could by a broadcom NIC from Dell and work native.

I have standard DD DSDT patch, and EFI string and native drivers for my nvidia card.

Cheers

Jon

I have a rock solid 10.6.1 32bit only install, that I'm loath to mess with, so have done this install on another drive

It all works for me, but I get a KP on wake from sleep (within a minute or so).

How can I track down what's causing this KP? what logs should I be looking at?

I think it might be lan related, so I guess if I disable the NIC in the bios, and then see if it will wake without a KP.

Do I need a certain BIOS for this setup? I have F7 (F9E causes my solid setup to KP on wake from sleep).

If it is LAN related I guess I could by a broadcom NIC from Dell and work native.

I have standard DD DSDT patch, and EFI string and native drivers for my nvidia card.

Cheers

Jon

When I used third party sleep enabler kexts I got KP's from certain operations, eg Safari data forms, umount, package

installers (strangely mount was fine!). I think these are features of the third party kexts. (after waking from sleep)

When I got rid of them and went native Apple they stopped, I don't get KP's now

I'm using F9e and onboard NICs in 64 bit mode without problems

steve

You should be using the new fakesmc.kext, instead of dsmos.kext. That should take care of it.

Also, always install the modified kexts/update boot caches after a OS update, but before the restart. Two reasons for this:

1. If you are using Apple-named modified kexts in S/L/E, like IONetworkingFamily.kext, they will get overwritten by the update.

2. A boot cache update before system update won't necessarily reflect the installed kexts.

You can get away with this if you only have modified kexts in /Extra or /EFI and the boot caches only include those kexts.

MAJ

Works Great! Thank you!!!

Sorry for the double question as i'm sure that one of the 58 pages has the answer to this.

Currently running 10.6.1 and once i installed my bluetooth and magic mouse my sleep stopped working. I also see that lots of people have upgraded to 10.6.2

I kinda want to stay with 10.6.1 because it seems like quite the process to upgrade. IE: not clicking upgrade. (unless someone has a guide in laymen's terms)

so my question is there a sleep fix for 10.6.1 that i can install? Also i need directions as i'm still learning how to operate this OS.

I will pat myself on the back for figuring out how to get this far.

thanks

DD, I have used your script for a perfect Leopard install (after having several previous good installs starting with Kalyway), but am currently having complete fits trying to get Snow Leopard to work. Here is my config:

Disk 1: Working Leopard partition, Backup of working Leopard partition, Documents partition

Disk 2: Partioned the same as above, with Snow Leopard installed via EFI method using your script (have also tried the alternative setup to no avail)

Disk 3: Working Vista Ultimate partition, Working Windows 7 Ultimate partition

I get a kernal panic no matter what I try. I have tried every conceivable kext combo with no progress. I have a 4870 card which works fine in Leopard so don't think that's the problem.

I reformatted the disk again tonight and tried a fresh install. During the install, I got the following error:

"unable to load info.plist exceptions (can't get exceptions URL)"

Do you have any idea what causes this error and if it is why it KP's every time I try to boot into Snow Leopard?

Thanks for all your great work as I have benefited tremendously from it.

Cheers

Jon

You do not need a specific bios for this setup, I have tested all the available bios for this board and the install works on all of them. The reason I use the F8e version is because the other ones cause my fans to spin off the roof. After kP, you can check the log when you reboot, Normally a KP displays what caused the problem so if u can send me a picture of it, I might be able to pinpoint the exact problem.

Another way to do is to disable some of your components like you suggested. Let me know how it goes.

Cheers

When I overclock to 4.0 GHz, I retain stability and everything works as it did before, EXCEPT for wake from sleep.

Has anyone (who has overclocked) been able to achieve wake from sleep? What factors related to overclocking would cause wake from sleep to break???

Hello Industro,

I too had this issue long ago and was able to fix it two ways:

1. Increase the voltage supplied to the CPU (this was no good for me as my overclock ran too hot)

2. Update your BIOS

I have a UD4P and seemed to be fine after updating my BIOS. Hopefully that works for you.

I am not sure what's going on post my 10.6.2 update:

I am running in 32-bit mode, if that matters.

My ethernet port doesn't seem to work anymore. I have tried using AppleRTL8169Ethernet (and IONetworkingFamily or RealtekR1000). I also made sure the connection is solid by connecting to my netbook (which digs it). The network portion of system preferences show nothing connected to the ethernet port.

I believe the error I may have made (it was quite a while ago...and after the internet died on the machine, I stopped using it for a while) is that I installed the new SleepEnabler before updating to 10.6.2. As such, I also get KPs after I sleep for a long time. Then again maybe not, as it seems the others who do this can't boot at all. Also, the sleepenabler posted a few pages back (when 10.6.2 came out) seems to be a bit different than the one on Netkas' site. Currently, the one I am using was modified on Nov. 7. Which is the correct one?

I would like to start scanning negatives/slides and need the power of the desktop. Any suggestions on what might be the issue here?

When I used third party sleep enabler kexts I got KP's from certain operations, eg Safari data forms, umount, package

installers (strangely mount was fine!). I think these are features of the third party kexts. (after waking from sleep)

When I got rid of them and went native Apple they stopped, I don't get KP's now

I'm using F9e and onboard NICs in 64 bit mode without problems

steve

Thanks. Can you let me know what extra mods I need to make to my DSDT to go native? (i've tried to find this in your previous posts).

I assume after compiling the changes into DSDT.aml, I need to remove sleepenabler and Nullcpumanagement kexts?

Any changes to needed to boot.plist, & do you use native audio as well?

Cheers

Jon

Thanks. Can you let me know what extra mods I need to make to my DSDT to go native? (i've tried to find this in your previous posts).

I assume after compiling the changes into DSDT.aml, I need to remove sleepenabler and Nullcpumanagement kexts?

Any changes to needed to boot.plist, & do you use native audio as well?

Cheers

Jon

Yes thats it. The only thing I did was to add the HPET fix

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...&start=800#

sometimes helps to delete the powermanagement plist and reboot for a fresh start

I only use my 2 front speakers and integrated sub, I had rears working a couple of times but I'm not

bothered too much as if I want surround sound I'll use the tv and hifi. So I just use one of DD DSDT edits and

run with native Apple kexts, seems to work for me

I've followed Cruisar's setup exactly for 32bit (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185097&st=880&gopid=1318922), but I've encountered different system behavior:

The system doesn't shutdown. Shutting down from the menu just results in a restart. None of my kext configurations have ever had working shutdown, so I think this is a problem with a BIOS setting, but I'm using f9e and as far as I know everything is configured correctly.

Sleep also doesn't work. Again, BIOS?

Z-5500 rear channels don't work with 6-channel direct, only the front+sub.

Anyone have some insight?

DD, I have used your script for a perfect Leopard install (after having several previous good installs starting with Kalyway), but am currently having complete fits trying to get Snow Leopard to work. Here is my config:

Disk 1: Working Leopard partition, Backup of working Leopard partition, Documents partition

Disk 2: Partioned the same as above, with Snow Leopard installed via EFI method using your script (have also tried the alternative setup to no avail)

Disk 3: Working Vista Ultimate partition, Working Windows 7 Ultimate partition

I get a kernal panic no matter what I try. I have tried every conceivable kext combo with no progress. I have a 4870 card which works fine in Leopard so don't think that's the problem.

I reformatted the disk again tonight and tried a fresh install. During the install, I got the following error:

"unable to load info.plist exceptions (can't get exceptions URL)"

Do you have any idea what causes this error and if it is why it KP's every time I try to boot into Snow Leopard?

Thanks for all your great work as I have benefited tremendously from it.

I really need to know what KP you are experiencing. A picture of your KP would help immensely.

Are you immediately updating to 10.6.2? If so, the SleepEnabler.kext could be causing the KP. Ditch it.

The error you mention during install - I have no idea what it is. Is it coming from the OS X installer package?

have big problem since i updated from 10.6.1 to 10.6.2 my radeon HD 4870 shows only colorful things !

has anybody experiences how to fix that problem ??

thanks estofan

Have you updated to the latest QE_CI_Exotic patch 10.6.2 package? The 10.6.2 update required a change to the ATIRadeonX2000.kext. However, I'm not sure how that would affect the colors displayed. Although I admit I never updated to 10.6.2 without installing the updated QE_CI patch.

MAJ

Regarding my post above, I remember now that when MAJ initially created his script for 10.6, there were issues with Bonjour. Perhaps the my ethernet post-10.6.2-update was effected by whatever I did to get Bonjour to work months ago.

In any case, I reformatted the machine and am using her now ;)

Hey Everyone,

If anyone is having issues with the 9xxx or 2xx GTX series cards in 10.6.2 when outputting threw HDMI (DVI->HDMI) theres an easy fix! All you need is the stock nvidia kexts (NVDANV*HAL.kext and NVResman.kext) from 10.6.1 in ur S/L/E and ur favorite graphics fix (i use a device string but it should also work with the graphics enabler in com.apple.boot.plist).

Dark D

I would like to follow the install method described in this blog http://aserebln.blogspot.com/ where a USB stick has Chameleon installed on it. Can someone help me by letting me know what kext files need to be installed in the /Extra directory of the flash drive? I'm currently running 10.5.7 (perfectly) from DD's previous script. Here's my hardware:

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

NVidia GTS-250 (2 - 24" monitors)

6GB 1600 DDR3

Bunch O' drives

good morning and happy thanksgiving !

So all yesterday i was trying to get 10.6 installed on my rig. With the different install process i took (mainly EFI and /Extra) I ended up with two constant different errors depending on the variables i took.

First one.... while loading up it will stop at a "REALTEK: Set MAC Reg C+CR Offset 0xE0: bit-3.".... I would hear the music playing from the intro but thats it.

A different REALTEK: error "REALTEK: mcfg 1, pcfg 3" with no sound coming from intro video depending on how i installed everything

Second type of error i would get is a video corruption. It will finishing loading up through log mode, i would get the white screen for a few seconds, music starts playing, and the screen goes bye bye. I don't even get to see part of the video... I'm running a dual screens setup so one screen would end up almost all black and the other gittery with black and gray lines.

Specs:

Intel Core i7 920 (not overclocked)

GA-X58-UD5

6GB OCZ DDR3 PC3 12800

Sapphire 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB

OSX 10.6 Legit Retail DVD

Originally i was using the ATY_Init.kext but then noticed in the repository a folder labeled 4870 so i started using Natit.kext which was the kext in that 4870 repository folder.

Are we suppose to use the ALC889a.kext? Along with AppleHDA and HDAEnabler? I am installing all my Audio and Networking kext to /Systems as instructed by DD in his original post.

Any good well instructed guides to follow because I can't seem to get DD's to go right? Thanks for all the help and everyone is amazing!! :(

for the record: i used to have an old Leopard install a few months ago working awesome but had to trash it temporarily but now i want SL!!! lol

Sapphire 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB

OSX 10.6 Legit Retail DVD

Originally i was using the ATY_Init.kext but then noticed in the repository a folder labeled 4870 so i started using Natit.kext which was the kext in that 4870 repository folder.

as you can see in my signature, i got a sapphire 4870 as well. with my first install-attempts with ATY_init and natit.kext, my display went to sleep at login.

so I installad NO graphic kexts at all and got into the desktop but without resolution change and no acceleration.

If you use PC-EFI v10.5 by netkas, you can use "GraphicsEnabler = Yes" in com.apple.boot.plist without any graphic-kexts.

Alternativly you can try EVOenabler.kext - i postet this kext several times in this forum.

good luck

The process if followed correctly is pretty easy:

How to update to 10.6.2:

- Delete existing SleepEnabler.kext located in /Extra, update caches and restart

- Install 10.6.2 update and restart.

- After booting into OSX 10.6.2, install attached SleepEnabler_10.6.2_.kext to /Extra and update caches.

POST #661

It seems to me that you messed up the sequence. Delete your original sleepenabler kext first > install update > install new sleepenabler kext ( using script or KEXT tool/app ) exactly like above and you should be OK.

Ok, I have a working 10.5.7 install working perfectly (sleep, graphics, etc). I have another disk prepped for Snow Leopard. Now that I have time to fiddle with it (Thanksgiving break), I see that there are SleepEnabler issues with 10.6.2 (namely it needs a different one than what's included with the original DD script, the original working for 10.6-10.6.1.

So the above process tells me how to go from a working 10.6.x to 10.6.2, but what if I'm installing a fresh copy of Snow Leopard from within my Leopard install? (IE the OS and the update will be installed before I boot into that drive). Can I simply replace the 10.6 sleep enabler kext from the script and replace it with the 10.6.2 sleep enabler kext and install that one through the script? (Again, provided the combo update to 10.6.2 is run before booting into Snow Leopard).

Or do I need to just install 10.6, boot into it, and follow the above steps to update to the 10.6.2 + new sleep enabler?

(Again, provided the combo update to 10.6.2 is run before booting into Snow Leopard).

Or do I need to just install 10.6, boot into it, and follow the above steps to update to the 10.6.2 + new sleep enabler?

Well if you apply the 10.6.2 update before booting into SL for the first time then its ok to replace the exisiting SleepEnabler in DD's script with the 10.6.2 one.

I've followed Cruisar's setup exactly for 32bit (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185097&st=880&gopid=1318922), but I've encountered different system behavior:

The system doesn't shutdown. Shutting down from the menu just results in a restart. None of my kext configurations have ever had working shutdown, so I think this is a problem with a BIOS setting, but I'm using f9e and as far as I know everything is configured correctly.

Sleep also doesn't work. Again, BIOS?

Z-5500 rear channels don't work with 6-channel direct, only the front+sub.

Anyone have some insight?

I am sure the issue related with shutdown is due to your bios settings, u can try and reset your bios settings and edit only the needed ones which will enable the machine to boot. I have also noticed that overclocking also sometimes messes up reboot/shutdown/sleep.

You can check d00ds post here, maybe that might help you if you want to patch your DSDT. I honestly dont know why your sound isnt working in direct 6 channel mode, can you provide a log or check your system profile to see if the kext is being loaded.

Hey Everyone,

If anyone is having issues with the 9xxx or 2xx GTX series cards in 10.6.2 when outputting threw HDMI (DVI->HDMI) theres an easy fix! All you need is the stock nvidia kexts (NVDANV*HAL.kext and NVResman.kext) from 10.6.1 in ur S/L/E and ur favorite graphics fix (i use a device string but it should also work with the graphics enabler in com.apple.boot.plist).

Dark D

When I plug my HDMI cable in...entire system locks up. Are you using Graphics Enabled in com.apple.boot.plist? I was going to try disabling that and going back to using an EFI string. How did you replace this kext? Manually?

I really need to know what KP you are experiencing. A picture of your KP would help immensely.

Are you immediately updating to 10.6.2? If so, the SleepEnabler.kext could be causing the KP. Ditch it.

The error you mention during install - I have no idea what it is. Is it coming from the OS X installer package?

MAJ

MAJ

MAJ, thanks for the reply. Here is a picture of the KP. I am installing from an image of my retail purchased Snow Leopard disc, so it is 10.6.1.

The error I mentioned happened while using the script, not the OS x installer. Thanks!

post-184368-1259344317_thumb.jpg

When I plug my HDMI cable in...entire system locks up. Are you using Graphics Enabled in com.apple.boot.plist? I was going to try disabling that and going back to using an EFI string. How did you replace this kext? Manually?

Nope using the EFI string for the 9800 GTX and I just threw the 10.6.1 stock kexts into the "10.6 Kexts/Graphics" , using DD's script to install them to S/L/E, replacing the old ones (way too lazy to install them manually, fix the permissions and build the cache :P ).

Dark D