[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

How so? VoodooHda works with original AppleHda Kext in S/L/E. There must be something going on under the hood of your setup. I use VoodooHda with my Logitech Z5500, 6 channel direct 5.1 surround sound with the three orange, black and green ports at the back of the computer.

My headphone ports work too but inorder to use them, I have to go into system preferences and select them as output instead of line out

Does that mean you need both VoodooHDA *and* AppleHDA loaded as kexts through DD's script?

Does that mean you need both VoodooHDA *and* AppleHDA loaded as kexts through DD's script?

No it doesnt! When you download DD's script, there are 2 files located in Kexts_10.6/_Audio. These are AppleHda and HDAEnabler. Move these two to the repository folder then copy the VodooHda kext attached in my post to this location, that is Kexts_10.6/_Audio/.

Ok, you can try resetting your bios and then matching it to the screen shots from DD's Guide for using the script. Most sleep, shutdown/restart issues are related to bios settings.

My BIOS settings are identical to DD's, at least for the "Integrated Peripherals" section". What are your settings for Power Management?

Mine are S3, Instant-Off, PME Event Enabled, Power On by Ring Enabled, REsume by Alarm Disabled, HPET Enabled/64-bit, Power on by Mouse Double-Click, Power On by Keyboard Disabled, AC Back Function Soft-Off.

How so? VoodooHda works with original AppleHda Kext in S/L/E. There must be something going on under the hood of your setup. I use VoodooHda with my Logitech Z5500, 6 channel direct 5.1 surround sound with the three orange, black and green ports at the back of the computer.

Yeah something weird was going on but I'm not sure why. I was pretty much using kexts standard with DD's script (not his AppleHDA or HDAEnabler) but I couldn't get the input devices to show up with your linked kext. The kext (not with prefpane) from voodoo labs got the input devices up in my audio preferences but still no sound.

In the end I gave up on it and went back to AppleHDA with HDAEnabler since I probably wouldn't use the surround sound anyway and I'm not interested in running 64bit.

Got my sleep working I suspect I accidently installed the 10.6.1 sleep enabler even though I always intended on installing the one for 10.6.2.

Can't shutdown my computer from the apple menu yet. I get a kernal panic. Tried using OpenHaltRestart and EvoReboot separately in /S/L/E normal build but still the same result. Also see SystemShutdown = False in verbose during boot. Not a big deal for me since I almost always use sleep.

hey guys, Thanks to DD and CruisAr for their support.

I'm still having issues with KP after i install combo update 10.6.2.

I even followed CruisAr's mini guide it still fails.

I removed dmos and the old sleepenable.kext and added FakeSMC. but still fails. what am I doing wrong ?

post-325010-1260795025_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the bootCd not working for you. As at the date of its compilation, it supported only Nvidia Cards and some old ATI cards. Try this version instead and let me know if it works for your card. If it does I will update my Guide with both versions.

Cheers

Just wanted to say that i downloaded the new version of the boot cd and that my system can succesfully boot from that CD :P. Thanks Cruisar!

hey guys, Thanks to DD and CruisAr for their support.

I'm still having issues with KP after i install combo update 10.6.2.

I even followed CruisAr's mini guide it still fails.

I removed dmos and the old sleepenable.kext and added FakeSMC. but still fails. what am I doing wrong ?

Ok....do u have NullCPUPowerManagement.kext installed to /extra folder?

Can't shutdown my computer from the apple menu yet. I get a kernal panic. Tried using OpenHaltRestart and EvoReboot separately in /S/L/E normal build but still the same result. Also see SystemShutdown = False in verbose during boot. Not a big deal for me since I almost always use sleep.

Are you using standard DSDT with only CMOS Restet fix or you have a customised patched DSDT?

Just wanted to say that i downloaded the new version of the boot cd and that my system can succesfully boot from that CD :thumbsdown_anim: . Thanks Cruisar!

Thats good to hear, I will update the guide with this version of the BootCD as well. WIll upload them to my own server so people wouldnt have to go through all that Rapidshare {censored}.

I need help! I was messing with ethernet kexts (updating an old test partition to a new one) and for some reason I have lost ethernet. I was switching out an old realtech1000 kext for the one from the 4.1 script here. By this I mean ethernet won't work in any OS, not a different OS X partition, windows, or linux. I deleted the dsdt.aml patch but I still have no ethernet. It doesn't detect an attached cable. This has happened to me once before, and I somehow fixed it by chance. I've tried reapplying a dsdt.aml patch but maybe there's something wrong with mine. Can anyone tell me how to reset everything back to its stock settings? I hope I didn't somehow brick my motherboard...

Thanks for the help!

I need help! I was messing with ethernet kexts (updating an old test partition to a new one) and for some reason I have lost ethernet. I was switching out an old realtech1000 kext for the one from the 4.1 script here. By this I mean ethernet won't work in any OS, not a different OS X partition, windows, or linux. I deleted the dsdt.aml patch but I still have no ethernet. It doesn't detect an attached cable. This has happened to me once before, and I somehow fixed it by chance. I've tried reapplying a dsdt.aml patch but maybe there's something wrong with mine. Can anyone tell me how to reset everything back to its stock settings? I hope I didn't somehow brick my motherboard...

Thanks for the help!

I think this is quite a common problem and has happened to me numerous times. You can fix it by completely shutting down your computer and unplugging the power cable for about 30 secs. Turn it back on and it should work, or I hope it does for you, at least.

I think this is quite a common problem and has happened to me numerous times. You can fix it by completely shutting down your computer and unplugging the power cable for about 30 secs. Turn it back on and it should work, or I hope it does for you, at least.

Wow that worked perfectly... here I am messing with kexts, dsdt.amls, and bios settings. You're a life saver, thank you!

Wow that worked perfectly... here I am messing with kexts, dsdt.amls, and bios settings. You're a life saver, thank you!

That was even described in the FAQ at the topic start!

Anyway, I've got a question of my own. As you can see, my post counter is (at this moment) still at the magical and virginal number of 1. Yes, I am a n00b and yes, I am going to ask some 'dumb' questions. But hold your horses, I did search and yes, I also did some 'fiddling around' with kexts, plists and what not. For your convenience, I have numbered the questions as (1), (2) etc. So whoever would like to help me, you can answer them easily just by numbering your answers.

Saturday I bought a fresh set of hardware, consisting of:

• Intel Core i7 920 (wow, I'm impressed by this thing, it easily clocks at 3,4 gHz with stock cooler!)
  • Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
  • Gigabyte Geforce GTS 250 1GB (of which I found out that it's just a rebranded 9800GTX)
  • 6GB's of RAM
  • HDD's!

And I installed Snow Leopard as described by a lovely user named letsgetsilly. He wrote a short guide on how to install Snow Leopard easy peasy with a USB stick. I did it this way since I didn't have a version running yet.

After the install I discovered some drawbacks. These flaws were described by him in the guide, but I didn't read them at that point. That was stupid of me to miss, I know. Anyway, the biggest flaw was the lack of Sleep function, followed by the lack of 64-bit boot. Some other minor setbacks were for example: weird Audio device behavior. I had to manually change the output in order to get the front-panel audio working if headphones were plugged in.

So, now I had a 'working' Snow Leopard, I decided to follow DD's method. I admire your work DD! I mean, if a method gets called after you, you should definitely be proud. Following the guide wasn't as hard as I thought and after a while I got pretty comfortable with using the script, which is an awesome and powerful script!

Still though, after following the guide on every single line, sleep didn't work. Even before the 10.6.2 update, I tried to make it go sleep. It sounded promising at first because the PC did actually go to sleep after issuing it from the Apple menu. And also, with the flick of a keystroke or with a move of the mouse, it clearly woke up again. Unfortunately, the displays (yes, I have 2 displays, (1) but that shouldn't be any of a problem right?) would not come on.

I followed this guide by CruiSAr but I still had the same behavior: no sleep. I'm not sure if I installed the kexts and everything the right way ((2) how can I tell?) but it just wouldn't turn on the displays at wakeup. I suspect the Nvidia to be the boogyman here, since that is the only difference in hardware that DD and me have. Could it be the GTS 250? It's simply a rebranded 9800 GTX.

The weird thing is that my GTS 250 chipset works flawlessly with DD's method (QE and CL work just fine with the default kext install, even the 1024 Vram is displayed correctly within System Profiler) but sleep still has the hickups! So I did some searching and found kexts specifically for the GTS 250, by Skyfluff. I popped them into my Stored_kexts folder and then did an update boot caches with DD's script. But no effect!

What am I doing wrong (3)? I know that CruiSAr's guide tells me to put a GPU specific EFI string within the com.apple.boot.plist. I did try that, but I don't think I did it the right way, since DD's script told me that the string was somehow not put in correctly. How do I find/get that string I found this guide from Aquamac, I could use that right (4)? And what's the best way to put the string in the boot plist, with DD's script itself or otherwise (5)? Hehe, I found out that DD's script can do all that automatically! Wow, what an awesome script! Also, how do I know which boot plist my system is using (6)? Since there's one in the Library folder and one in Extra.

Ok....do u have NullCPUPowerManagement.kext installed to /extra folder?

Are you using standard DSDT with only CMOS Restet fix or you have a customised patched DSDT?

Hi CruisAr,

Yes I have the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in Extra/stored_kexts

Im using the DSDT that was included in the script.

Current PC Setup:

1. GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P (Still Running F2 bios)

Intel Core i7 940 2.93GHz

OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB)

EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX295 1796MB

Asus DVD DL Burner

1x Samsung 250GB OS Drive (Win7 64-bit & Win XP 32-bit) hoping for Mac OS X 10.6 as well

4x Seagate 1.5TB (2 Raid 1 Mirror Arrays)

4x 1TB External Drives eSata/USB (Just use these for backups)

1x 750GB External eSata/USB

1. Curious To see if the GA-EX58-UD5 tutorial will work with my mobo. im not really sure if the differences between the two are major but im hoping not.

2a. As i understand Mac OS X will only install on GPT but will run on MBR (This i have tested). What is want is to be able to triple boot off of the same HDD for all 3 OS. If this is possible how should my partitions be set up?

2b. I read about Carbon Copy Cloner being able to copy anything. is this the best utility to migrate from GPT to MBR?

2c. If it is not possible or is too much of a pain, i will resize Partitions on one of my Raid Arrays and Migrate Win7 and XP to run off that, and Mac OS on 250GB.

3. Is it possible using this tutorial and drivers to have Mac OS run on External HDD temporarily until i migrate it to internal?

Based on my set up, i was hoping someone could help get me started. give me suggestions etc!

Many thanks,

Beerman (a Mac Noob...but not a windows one!)

IF you have the UD4P, I do also, it should all work with this tutorial. Having said that, it worked for me last spring with Leopard, I am having a bear of a time installing Snow Leo. I tried the downloaded stuff at the start of this thread, still no luck here. I also tried another tutorial on another site, no luck there either.

I got as far as a bootable thumb drive with my install disk on it. I can tell it to install on my target drive. I have gotten the install to complete once ort twice, but it wont finish booting. And it sometimes will stall on reinstalling.

When I did get it booting, it was pretty awful, no monitor settings, small screen (not edge to edge) poor resolution, just not right.

I know I am missing something here. I just don't know what. I must have misunderstood, I thought SNL was going to be easier all in all. Less things to install, just a few KEXTS to remove?

Man oh man.

IF you have the UD4P, I do also, it should all work with this tutorial. Having said that, it worked for me last spring with Leopard, I am having a bear of a time installing Snow Leo. I tried the downloaded stuff at the start of this thread, still no luck here. I also tried another tutorial on another site, no luck there either.

I got as far as a bootable thumb drive with my install disk on it. I can tell it to install on my target drive. I have gotten the install to complete once ort twice, but it wont finish booting. And it sometimes will stall on reinstalling.

When I did get it booting, it was pretty awful, no monitor settings, small screen (not edge to edge) poor resolution, just not right.

I know I am missing something here. I just don't know what. I must have misunderstood, I thought SNL was going to be easier all in all. Less things to install, just a few KEXTS to remove?

Man oh man.

Have you tried the lifehackers guide first? It's pretty fool proof and should get you up and running in less than an hour. Just google for 'lifehackers guide no hacking required'. Weren't it for the fact that it lacks some features for me personally (like sleep).

Also, to my n00b ears this just sounds like a couple of kexts missing, resulting in a kernel panic. Can you try installing with two physical drives? You don't need the thumbdrive in that case and you can get through installation within 15 minutes. Once you've installed you can boot and then at least see why the kernel panics in the boot log.

I seem to be asking questions quite a lot here so I feel as if it's about time to contribute. I'm sure there are plently of people with the same motherboard as I have (EX58-UD3r) that are looking for a perfect 10.6.2 install. AND, as I now have that I thought I'd hand out some pointers as it's taken me months to learn enough to get everything right. This method includes doing a full retail install (using proper installer), working Apple power management (which therefore gives you working sleep), perfectly working audio and ethernet.

OK, so here's a checklist of things you'll need before starting.

1. A USB stick that you're able to restore your OS X disc to (not 100% necessary)
  2. A HFS+ formatted partition/drive
  3. All necessary kexts (provided below)
  4. Bootloader (PC-EFI)
  5. BIOS F8D (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...?ProductID=2989)

Once you have all of the above:

1. The first step is to prepare the drive you're going to install the OS to, so at this stage make sure you have a HFS+ formatted partition ready to install OS X to.
  2. Next you to restore your OS X disc to your USB stick. For this the USB stick should be HFS+ formatted. The point is not to actually copy the OS but the installer itself. This can be done by opening Disk Utility and dragging your disc (or in some cases an image) to the restore tab under your USB stick. Note: if you don't have a large enough USB stick don't worry too much - I don't have one either. You can get around this by make a small partition on the same drive as you're installing the actual OS to and using this same method, only restoring to the partition instead of the USB stick. You will however need a USB stick large enough to fit your bootloader and kexts onto.
  3. Installer the bootloader PC-EFI 10.5 - http://netkas.org/?p=271) to the USB stick and only the vital kexts: FakeSMC, PlatformUUID, Power management etc. (for now)
  4. Boot up and select your USB stick as the boot device
  5. When the bootloader appears select your USB stick from the list and press enter
  6. Now the installer will begin. Go through each step in the installer - it would probably be wise to uncheck the printer drivers and additional languages for the sake of speeding up the install
  7. Once that's done you can boot using the same USB stick but selecting your new partition this time instead of the USB stick itself
  8. Once everything's set up we need to install the bootloader and correct kexts to our new installation. So at this stage we need to install the bootloader (same as above), but this time we're going to install slightly different kexts.
    • In Extra/Extensions:
      • FakeSMC.kext
      • OpenHaltRestart.kext
      • OrangeIconFix.kext
      • PlatformUUID.kext

[*]In System/Library/Extensions:

• Replaced AppleHDA.kext
  • Replaced IONetworkingFamily.kext

[*]Now we need to mess with our DSDT a little bit to get power management working. As it won't have been created yet we can take the one generated from our USB stick's /Extra directory. Copy the file to your new /Extra directory and use one of the many apps (CLI or GUI - doesn't matter) and decompile your DSDT.dsl.

[*]At this point we should have our DSDT.aml ready to open in a text editor (TextEdit is fine). We now need to follow a guide for the necessary patches to our DSDT, they can be found here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196771. All of those patches need to be applied (minus the audio obviously).

[*]Compile your DSDT and place it in /Extra, although it's probably a good idea to make a copy of the original for the sake of any errors that may occur

[*]When it's all done reboot and everything should be working. Don't format your USB stick right away because it's a kind of fail-safe if things aren't quite right

[*]That's it, done!

One thing, I should probably stress the importance of having the latest BIOS (F8D) as without it power management didn't work correctly for me. Flashing is a pretty simple process but I can help those who are stuck I guess.

Also, I have put together this small guide with the assumption of some pre-existing knowledge on the subject so forgive me if some of the steps are slightly vague to those not quite as knowledgeable on the subject.

sl_kexts.zip

Have you tried the lifehackers guide first? It's pretty foolproof and should get you up and running in less than an hour. Just google for 'lifehackers guide no hacking required'. Weren't it for the fact that it lacks some features for me personally (like sleep).

Also, to my n00b ears this just sounds like a couple of kexts missing, resulting in a kernel panic. Can you try installing with two physical drives? You don't need the thumb drive in that case and you can get through installation within 15 minutes. Once you've installed you can boot and then at least see why the kernel panics in the boot log.

Yes, Lifehacker was the other place I was trying, didn't work either. It gets me to the mac install window with the blue progress bar across it. The bar stalls at a different location every time.

I will read the post by callumj09 and see if I can sort this through. I should mention, in case it helps, that I had a good install of Leopard last spring. It was my first attempt and I was totally dependent on the kind help I got from this list. I could get updates from Apple too. But now I can't get updates, Mail recently lost it's attachment to it's files and acted like it was a new program, and some disks wont even mount. I am having trouble with Leopard now, although I am still functioning day to day. I can't get the recent security updates or anything new from Apple really. Hoping a fresh start with SNL will set my Mac back on track from a hack with too much slack (sorry, couldn't resist ;-).

I said all that because I cloned (a two drive raid I use as my main boot volume) onto an external eSATA 1 TB drive. The external drive is my target drive for all the installs.

One thing I am not very clear on is how I can see where to insert needed KEXTS? With Leopard I used the EFI installer or other methods. Sorry to act like a total noob fool, but seeing a script both makes it easier and makes me think I can't use those other methods too? Meaning, I guess I am not sure about where to put the kexts. Again, my apologies for writing this before reading thoroughly the post by callumj09 (I will do that next) as this info may have already been mentioned.

I can't tell you haw glad I will be to finally get this all working again, and with stability. It's been a while for that.

I have: two 500 G RAID forming a 1TB used as start-up working in Leopard

8 G Patriot Thumb drive with burned ISO and made bootable with terminal commands using the lifehacker tutorial

1 external 1000 G on eSata

Licensed copy of SNL (of course)

Giga UD4P, i7, 6 g ram, EVGA Geoforce 9800 GT+, dual monitors

Much thanks.

Hi CruisAr,

Yes I have the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in Extra/stored_kexts

Im using the DSDT that was included in the script.

Ok weird, The panic you are having backtraces to AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement. I also see that HPETS are not avialable. This kind of error according to my experience is DSDT related and It requires fixing HPET, TMR and RTC in your DSDT thus me asking if you have a customised patched DSDT.

What you can try to do is reset your bios and then edit it so your system can boot. If that doesnt fix the problem try the DSDT I attached in my guide. Let me know how it goes.

Ok weird, The panic you are having backtraces to AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement. I also see that HPETS are not avialable. This kind of error according to my experience is DSDT related and It requires fixing HPET, TMR and RTC in your DSDT thus me asking if you have a customised patched DSDT.

What you can try to do is reset your bios and then edit it so your system can boot. If that doesnt fix the problem try the DSDT I attached in my guide. Let me know how it goes.

I'm pretty sure that what I'm about to say isn't a solution, but I had the same kernel panic yesterday after a fresh install (with the "no HPETs available...CPU(s) configured incorrectly"). In my case, it was due to the fact that I did install the right kexts, but I didn't update boot caches.

CrueSAr, while you're already here, could you take a look at my issue? It's a few posts up and I still didn't manage to fix it.

I guess I need to update my somewhat lame comment that I don't really know where things go, I apologize. The script folder that runs the installer script, duh.

What has mad me a little hesitant though is the thought that 10.6 is enough different from 10.5 that I should not just throw in all the KEXTS that I had already installed in 10.5. Perhaps it won't hurt to try so I will start tossing em in and see what happens.

The biggest problem I had was getting the EVGA graphics card just right. It was a challenge to get Quartz extreme going and Quartz GL. Might as well roll up my sleeves and get messy.

Thanks again for the community, the other noobs, and of course the experts who give away so much knowledge. I hope someday to be able to do the same.

....but it just wouldn't turn on the displays at wakeup. I suspect the Nvidia to be the boogyman here, since that is the only difference in hardware that DD and me have. Could it be the GTS 250? It's simply a rebranded 9800 GTX....

I have discovered that it's not my GTS 250 causing this (or maybe it is?) but my dual screen setup! When I have my second monitor (which is connected through VGA) hooked up, both displays stay off at wake-up.

When I unplug my second monitor, the system wakes perfectly from sleep!

How can I solve this issue? Or should I go to a GTS 250 related topic for this?

Also I would like to point out the fact that I do not have Bonjour properly working when I updated to (CruiSAr's) Realtek1000.kext. None of my pc's nor my Airport Extreme pop up in finder (I can find it through Airport Utility though). Is this a known issue?

I have discovered that it's not my GTS 250 causing this (or maybe it is?) but my dual screen setup! When I have my second monitor (which is connected through VGA) hooked up, both displays stay off at wake-up.

When I unplug my second monitor, the system wakes perfectly from sleep!

How can I solve this issue? Or should I go to a GTS 250 related topic for this?

Also I would like to point out the fact that I do not have Bonjour properly working when I updated to (CruiSAr's) Realtek1000.kext. None of my pc's nor my Airport Extreme pop up in finder (I can find it through Airport Utility though). Is this a known issue?

Weird...hmm...is this a fresh install or you just updated the kext. In most cases it should work but if you used the ifconfig hack before changing the kext then it wont work. Considering sleep problems, I do not use dual monitors so I cannot help you with that.

Considering Efi strings, Aquamacs Guide is really easy to follow but then again DD's script is as good so I dont know how you got that error of it not being inserted properly. I use the bootPlist in Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguarion, that is where I have my Efi string inserted.