[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Ouch. Your KP is happening right at the beginning just after loading the kernel. Anyone have an idea here?

I suspect the boot cache in Extra. Is there a Extensions.mkext file present in Extra? What size? What kexts is it composed of? Built in Leo?

Do you have a DSDT patch installed? If so, remove it for the time being. We'll try to cut this down to the bare minimum.

MAJ

There is an Extensions.mkext file in Extra that is 1.2 MB and it was built in Leo.

The following kexts are in the Extra_For_System folder: AppleHDA, AppleIntelPIIXATA, AppleRTL8169Ethernet, ATY_Init, fakesmc, HDAEnabler, JMicronATA, NullCPUPowerManagement, OpenHaltRestart, PlatformUUID and SleepEnabler and there is one in the Extra Folder: IOACHIBlockStorageInjector.

I had a DSDT patch installed and have removed it.

I just reran the kext/kernel installer and got the following message: 154 of 1 kexts failed to make it into cache! See logs for details.

MAJ, do you release a new version of your script with PC-EFI v10.5, new FakeSMC, new sleepenabler, ... in the next few days?

I don't want to push you - I'm just curious :)

I've been kinda slow with this development project as of late. Currently working on RAID support on the bootloader portion. It's working, but the Finder has issues with the partitions mounting/unmounting too quickly - causes a crash, because the Finder is updating Desktop Services with drive location, etc., then finds that the drive is suddenly gone - crash. I'd like to find a way to get the Finder to bugger off, but, for now, I'm adding delays and such. This is a issue with the EFI partition and RAID member partition. I don't recall having this issue in 10.6.1??

[There is an Extensions.mkext file in Extra that is 1.2 MB and it was built in Leo.

The following kexts are in the Extra_For_System folder: AppleHDA, AppleIntelPIIXATA, AppleRTL8169Ethernet, ATY_Init, fakesmc, HDAEnabler, JMicronATA, NullCPUPowerManagement, OpenHaltRestart, PlatformUUID and SleepEnabler and there is one in the Extra Folder: IOACHIBlockStorageInjector.

I had a DSDT patch installed and have removed it.

I just reran the kext/kernel installer and got the following message: 154 of 1 kexts failed to make it into cache! See logs for details.

Something just doesn't add up here, but I think I see what's happening!

Does it really say "154 of 1 kexts..." and not 1 of 154?

Are you using the "Combo cache" or "Super combo cache"? Don't use this in Leo, as there's no way to build the cache in 10.5. (I'll need to modify this part in the script.)

Plus, if you have all those kexts in "_For_System", with the exception of IOACHIBlockStorageInjector, there's no way the mkext file can be 1.2MB, as the IOACHIBlockStorageInjector (a fake plist) is only 4K in size. If you are using the combo cache, it'll be around 10MB, the super combo cache will be about 30MB.

My guess as to what's happening is the boot cache creation is failing and it is reverting to the older backup cache. My script is designed so that if a boot cache fails to be made, it will use the Extensions.mkext.previous file that was put aside prior to the attempt at making a new one.

So, the system is stuck with that older non-working boot cache as a last resort.

Your setup sounds correct, as far as where the kexts should be installed, but the script is failing to create a new boot cache. Have you used the "Normal boot cache" It should build a boot cache of just 4K in size. Then, you should be good to go.

MAJ

I set up a raid 0 for data and now I get a string of errors before it gets to chameleon but then it boots. If I press a button when it gets to chameleon, I get the error message scrolling down the screen again. Once booted, everything seems find but is this something I need to worry about?

I set up a raid 0 for data and now I get a string of errors before it gets to chameleon but then it boots. If I press a button when it gets to chameleon, I get the error message scrolling down the screen again. Once booted, everything seems find but is this something I need to worry about?

Are you talking about the EBIOS errors?

What RAID setup is this and what bootloader? AppleRAID via Disk Utility?

The bootloader should be able to read/parse anything on the software-based AppleRAID. But, if you're using onboard hardware for RAID, I doubt the bootloader will understand the drives. EBIOS errors would show up when it's trying to read the partitions for info.

I wouldn't worry about those errors, as it's just used to display available partitions on the bootloader screen. I think they skip after a timeout.

MAJ

EDIT: The error messages that show up after the bootloader I would be concerned about. Are they different errors or is this just the kernel log that normally displays?

DD, I remember you have made some considerations about i7 performance, and u pledge 4 a moderate OC, can u, please post your BIOS settings, thank you

Douwnload your Bios here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/30350/G...024.080901.html

rename it like this:

ati_9442_1002.rom

replace your boot file by Netkac PC_EFI 10.4.1 or higher;put EVOenabler.kext in /S/L/E and LegacyATI4800.kext in /E/E

and add this string

key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

in com.apple.boot.plist in /E/E

Infos ;

http://netkas.org/?cat=5

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...00#entry1094288

Good luck

:unsure:

New Rom for GA-EX58-UD5 !!

GA-EX58-UD5 - F9j

-New RAID ROM Ver. 8.9.1.1002

released 30.Nov 09

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/gigabyte/ga-ex58-ud5.htm

Could this be an important upgrade for (better ) RAID Support on SnowLeopard !

Thanks for reply

Mmm... I just tried this rom and everything works. I can even set my core multiplier of my Core i7-920 to 21x! (couldn't you only go to 20x?)

MAJ, do you release a new version of your script with PC-EFI v10.5, new FakeSMC, new sleepenabler, ... in the next few days?

I was going to post the exact same question...

Note that the new sleepenabler seems to be compatible only with 10.6.2 and not with 10.6/10.6.1 so the script should ask wich version to install (depending wether you are using a 10.6 DVD or a 10.6.2 one, when it will be available).

Furthemore, the script should offer a "update sleep enabler" in order to replace the 10.6 version by the 10.6.2 one when installing the system update.

I've been kinda slow with this development project as of late.

No problem for me, take your time. Even if from our point of view, the faster the better :)

Just a couple of questions:

After installation with the current version of the script (9/25/09) is there any problem to update (manually) to PC EFI 10.5, fakemsc 2.5 and sleepenabler 10.6.2 (remove sleepenabler, update to 10.6.2, install new sleepenabler) and maybe other things?

By the way, you script is awesome, but it there a documentation to understand what it does ?

I am just curious to understand what is happening inside my computer and become a real expert instead of a simple "script runner" :) so in case of error I can investigate by myself (knowledge expands only when shared ;) )

Mmm... I just tried this rom and everything works. I can even set my core multiplier of my Core i7-920 to 21x! (couldn't you only go to 20x?)

Yes I noticed that on both 9i and 9j

I don't know if it works or not but didn't want to risk my cpu

I have noticed that when I get the bios splash my overclock at 20x175 = 3.5GHz is displayed as 3.67GHz, at stock

speed it shows as 2.88GHz. Not sure what the actual speed is

steve

Are you talking about the EBIOS errors?

What RAID setup is this and what bootloader? AppleRAID via Disk Utility?

The bootloader should be able to read/parse anything on the software-based AppleRAID. But, if you're using onboard hardware for RAID, I doubt the bootloader will understand the drives. EBIOS errors would show up when it's trying to read the partitions for info.

I wouldn't worry about those errors, as it's just used to display available partitions on the bootloader screen. I think they skip after a timeout.

MAJ

EDIT: The error messages that show up after the bootloader I would be concerned about. Are they different errors or is this just the kernel log that normally displays?

It's Apple software Raid. First the bios gives the errors and then chameleon if I press a key to select a different boot drive. It doesn't impact it eventually working but the text scrolls down the screen over the graphical background. The error is pretty much the same as the EBIOS error.

By the way, you script is awesome, but it there a documentation to understand what it does ?

I am just curious to understand what is happening inside my computer and become a real expert instead of a simple "script runner" :) so in case of error I can investigate by myself (knowledge expands only when shared ;) )

well it's a script! Take any editors to see the source.. that is the best doc ;)

I've been away for a while. Got really busy with studies.

I seem to have a working Apple Software RAID setup as my boot drive for 10.6.2. I've only just set it up and I'm still ironing it but when I've got everything figured out I'll post up my instructions.

At the moment I'm running chameleon RC3 but I'm gonna try switching to PC EFI 10.5. I haven't been able to get a default timed boot with arch=i386 yet although I've tried editing the com.apple.boot.plist file in /Extra and /library/preferences/SystemConfiguration. The other thing is every time I reboot I get a message saying my last boot settings failed to load and I have to revert to my last successful boot and let the machine boot again.

Chameleon shows both slices of my RAID0 and I can select either and get a successful boot.

I should have this figured out soon then hopefully I can provide some good instructions. I found the info out there scarce and hard to follow.

We should put the kext folder into a svn/hg/git repository so that users can just update to get the newest kexts for the system. I'd also support making the script available through something like google code so that DD doesn't have to bear all the burden of editing it.

Douwnload your Bios here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/30350/G...024.080901.html

rename it like this:

ati_9442_1002.rom

replace your boot file by Netkac PC_EFI 10.4.1 or higher;put EVOenabler.kext in /S/L/E and LegacyATI4800.kext in /E/E

and add this string

key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

in com.apple.boot.plist in /E/E

Infos ;

http://netkas.org/?cat=5

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...00#entry1094288

Good luck

:)

How do these roms work? I have been using a graphics string with my chameleon extra boot.plist. I'm not using the netkas method. I downloaded the rom for my card (evga 9800 gtx+) but what should i do with it now?

DD, I remember you have made some considerations about i7 performance, and u pledge 4 a moderate OC, can u, please post your BIOS settings, thank you

Oh, sorry. When I get a moment I will.

Just getting to 3.2GHz OC doesn't require any voltage changes to your BIOS settings, which is nice.

Anything more aggressive requires a bump in the Vcore, QPI/Vtt, and sometimes the QPI PLL. YMMV.

I keep the DRAM at maximum 1.6v for the 1600MHz clock.

I was going to post the exact same question...

Note that the new sleepenabler seems to be compatible only with 10.6.2 and not with 10.6/10.6.1 so the script should ask wich version to install (depending wether you are using a 10.6 DVD or a 10.6.2 one, when it will be available).

Furthemore, the script should offer a "update sleep enabler" in order to replace the 10.6 version by the 10.6.2 one when installing the system update.

I'm currently going to keep both sleepenabler kexts out of the install directory for now. Users who wish to use one or the other can pull the correct one out of the repository for the install. I don't think I'm going to write extra code to implement that. I'd like to think there would be a version that would support both versions of the OS, but not likely. Eventually, the older one will no longer be used. Anyone updating to SL will likely upgrade to the latest version available.

Just a couple of questions:

After installation with the current version of the script (9/25/09) is there any problem to update (manually) to PC EFI 10.5, fakemsc 2.5 and sleepenabler 10.6.2 (remove sleepenabler, update to 10.6.2, install new sleepenabler) and maybe other things?

I am just curious to understand what is happening inside my computer and become a real expert instead of a simple "script runner" :) so in case of error I can investigate by myself (knowledge expands only when shared :) )

There should be no problem updating manually. You should keep the script's kext folders updated to the latest for your system. The sequence you describe of updating the sleepenabler is right on the money.

One way to learn about what the script is doing is simply opening up the Install.log in Console. Make sure you are at the bottom of log. Run the script and watch what the log shows.

It's Apple software Raid. First the bios gives the errors and then chameleon if I press a key to select a different boot drive. It doesn't impact it eventually working but the text scrolls down the screen over the graphical background. The error is pretty much the same as the EBIOS error.

Hmmmmm. The EBIOS errors are pretty common when the bootloader is trying to read a CD that's not properly written. They are typically "EBIOS" followed by a long number. Have a hard time believing the bootloader is having trouble reading the Apple RAID partitions, unless it's misinterpreting some of the data as something it thinks it needs. The drives are okay and not failing?

How do these roms work? I have been using a graphics string with my chameleon extra boot.plist. I'm not using the netkas method. I downloaded the rom for my card (evga 9800 gtx+) but what should i do with it now?

As I mentioned in my post up, Netkas gave an example with à ATI 4850 card because ATI cards have less string injection possibilities. I didn't read anyone who tried it with an Nvidia rom !

Use this method only if there is no other way ! If your graphics string method works, why would you change ?

How do these roms work ? -- I don't know, but I suppose and hope it's the best method to use native OC graphics cards ROM on our machines by passing OSX limitations like on Apple graphics cards !

:withstupid:

Hmmmmm. The EBIOS errors are pretty common when the bootloader is trying to read a CD that's not properly written. They are typically "EBIOS" followed by a long number. Have a hard time believing the bootloader is having trouble reading the Apple RAID partitions, unless it's misinterpreting some of the data as something it thinks it needs. The drives are okay and not failing?

Yeah, the drives are both new 1.5tb drives that are being monitored by SMARTreporter and don't show any problems. They have been used extensively since installed and don't show any issues at all. I'm still using your original 10.5.7 install if that makes a difference.

it sounds like this is what is happening but I don't understand the solution. http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=606.0

Hey all, first of all thanks for the awesome guide and install script, looks like you've put a lot of work into it! Keep it up :)

I'm posting because I'm trying to install a Retail SL, and it doesn't seem to work for me =(

The setup Im trying to install it on:

Gigabyte EX58-UD5 v1.0

Core i7 920

6gb RAM

PowerColor Radeon HD 4870 512MB (2xDVI)

2x1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 Drives

Corsair HX620 PSU

The things I did:

1) Updated the BIOS to version F8 from the link on the bottom of the guide, configured accordingly (no OC on anything).

2) Plugged one of the HDDs into my MacBook Pro using a ExpressCard SATA card, formatted with a GUID filesystem, 2 partitions (150/850gb).

3) Inserted my Retail SL DVD (the one I bought for this MBP), ran RUN-PATCH_INSTALLER.command

4) Selected the proper drive, "Extra" install, PC_EFI v10.3 bootloader (seems like for some reason it installed Chameleon anyway o.O)

5) Ran the install, installed it onto the drive, deselected any extras in "Customize" except for X11.

6) Ran the "kext/kernel installer" option. Since I have SL on the MBP, I didn't key in the kexts as instructed in step 7 (hope I understood it correctly, the phrasing there is kind of blurry)

7) Plugged it in the target machine, ran with a "-s" flag on 1st boot, "buildcache" at the command prompt, "reboot" when it was done.

On the 2nd boot, it boots up to the line that says:

** Device in slot: SLOT--1 **

ACPI_SMC_Platform_Plugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

AppleTyMCEDriver::start coreVIDPID = 0xffffffff Number of packages = 1 Number of cpus = 8 memory monitor through MCA

...and freezes there indefinitely, no HDD activity, no KP, no anything after it.

Any thoughts on what might've gone wrong or what I could've done incorrectly?

Thanks in advance :)

PowerColor Radeon HD 4870 512MB (2xDVI)

<SNIP>

...and freezes there indefinitely, no HDD activity, no KP, no anything after it.

Any thoughts on what might've gone wrong or what I could've done incorrectly?

Thanks in advance :D

That last line indicates you have reached the desktop, but no video is being displayed. You'll need to get your 4870 working. Netkas' site has info on how this can be done. Using his PC-EFI bootloader, all that should be needed is the "GraphicsEnabler=y" flag, AFAIK. You can add it using the script. Go here or browse the ATI graphics forums.

MAJ

Yeah, the drives are both new 1.5tb drives that are being monitored by SMARTreporter and don't show any problems. They have been used extensively since installed and don't show any issues at all. I'm still using your original 10.5.7 install if that makes a difference.

it sounds like this is what is happening but I don't understand the solution. http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=606.0

That issue with >1TB drives should be fixed. If you're using 2 1.5TB as RAID 0, then you got access to 3TB of data. I wonder if there's a bootloader limit there. Might mention it on that thread. If you have no other drives to boot from, you could limit the bootloader's access with the "Scan Single Drive" flag mentioned there. Make sure your BIOS is set to see your boot drive first.

Randomly today, I've been getting an error "EBIOS read error" and it won't go to boot screen.

Make sure the directory info is clean first - run Disk Utility repair if needed. An option is to run DiskWarrior to repair from a maintenance drive and reinstall the bootloader before booting back into it.

If that fails, you may want to post what drive and/or partitions your bootloader has access to in the thread mentioned above.

MAJ

Make sure the directory info is clean first - run Disk Utility repair if needed. An option is to run DiskWarrior to repair from a maintenance drive and reinstall the bootloader before booting back into it.

If that fails, you may want to post what drive and/or partitions your bootloader has access to in the thread mentioned above.

MAJ

It actually hard drive that is a slave to my main OS HDD. It just has data on it and once I disconnect the HDD, the comp boots fine.

That last line indicates you have reached the desktop, but no video is being displayed. You'll need to get your 4870 working. Netkas' site has info on how this can be done. Using his PC-EFI bootloader, all that should be needed is the "GraphicsEnabler=y" flag, AFAIK. You can add it using the script. Go here or browse the ATI graphics forums.

MAJ

Thanks, figured it out - simply removing your ATY_Init.kext file from the extras and rebuilding the cache did the trick :)

I've put the "GraphicsEnabler=y" key and the "-pci0" string there before removing it, and it still didn't work... so it's only that kext that is to blame.

Thanks for the Guide, this is good stuff.

I used it for a ASUS P6T Delux, and hey presto, bootup.

Having that said no network or sound.

what you wrote

"If installing from Leopard for Snow Leopard, the script will automatically install all x86_64 (64-bit) kexts in /System, as 64-bit boot caches cannot be built into Leopard. Also, note too, that in Snow Leopard some i386 kexts (32-bit) just do not work in /Extra and must be installed into /System. These include current the selection of audio and networking kexts, so toggle them from the /Extra destination to /System by keying in their number and pressing 'Enter.' (i.e. press 4, Enter, 5, Enter, 7, Enter)"

is there any way of having that a bit explained, excuse my ignorance here :)

post-519193-1259885727_thumb.png

Thanks for the Guide, this is good stuff.

I used it for a ASUS P6T Delux, and hey presto, bootup.

Having that said no network or sound.

what you wrote

"If installing from Leopard for Snow Leopard, the script will automatically install all x86_64 (64-bit) kexts in /System, as 64-bit boot caches cannot be built into Leopard. Also, note too, that in Snow Leopard some i386 kexts (32-bit) just do not work in /Extra and must be installed into /System. These include current the selection of audio and networking kexts, so toggle them from the /Extra destination to /System by keying in their number and pressing 'Enter.' (i.e. press 4, Enter, 5, Enter, 7, Enter)"

is there any way of having that a bit explained, excuse my ignorance here :)

Makes perfect sense to me! :D

Actually, if you're not familiar with the script, I can see why it would be confusing. I need to elaborate on that a bit more some time.

This is a Gigabyte UD5 thread, not ASUS.

For the Yukon 88E8056 LAN, see here or here. Both are similar.

Pretty simple instructions that'll just take 10 seconds.

Sound is from the ALC888 (not ALC1200 like the P6T non-Deluxe version) and I'll let you do the search on the Sound forums.

MAJ