[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Pchild,

There are dual GPU laptops out there? I'm really out of touch. :P

Are you using EFI strings? Not sure the bootloader will recognize a 580m. I'd have to look.

SLI setups will be ignored by OS X, with only the primary GPU being used.

Edit: Okay, I see two "GeForce GTX 580" listed in the source, but they aren't mobile. Do you know what Device ID they have?

One listed is: 0x10DE 1089

The other is: 0x10DE 1080

But, I think the 580m is 0x10DE 1211, so no bootloader support for it.

Have you tried booting into it with GraphicsEnabler turned off (No)?

MAJ

Edit:

This fellow has a (single) 580m based laptop, too.

I'm very new to this scene Digital_Dreamer. I just got my G73JH laptop working a week or so ago. I'm not sure what an EFI String is. So I'm going to assume I'm not using one. I honestly haven't tried to get installer working very much. But I plan to make it a project for me soon.

I'll boot again and get the device IDs for you, and google efi strings some to educate my self.

As far as it using only one GPU, that's fine. I will always game in widows =]

Hello all of you,

As for the latest updates Iused de Combo update 10.7.4 and then without rebooting the 6.55 script.

At first boot no LAN and Wifi. But after second boot LAN and Wifi where back.

Thanks so much D_D

This script is so awesome

sheers

antovasa,

I did a clean install of Lion on my RAID setup and the results are the same as yours: The bootloader won't recognize the boot cache in /Extra, unless you put a Combo cache in there. This is a bootloader issue. This was fixed a while ago, but appears to have cropped up again.

It's no issue to use the Combo cache setup - that just creates a cache of both the kexts in /Extra and S/L/E and puts it in /Extra.

Now that I'm thinking about it further, I didn't bother to check to see if the RAID setup would work with a /Extra/Extensions setup. That is, with no boot cache, just kexts. I'm going to try that in the ML setup and see how it behaves.

Oh, and I forgot to put the FakeSMC.kext v4.2.0 in the 10.7 Lion folder. I had only included it in the 10.8 ML folder.

best of wishes,

MAJ

SCRIPT UPDATE:

UPDATE: 5/14/12 - version 7.0

• New version has Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard code stripped out. Leopard compatible version will still be made available, if requested, as version 6.56 (compatible with ML), but will no longer be maintained.
  • Removed the unused Modify system information from the menu, which renumbered the menu, unfortunately. I hope this will be the last time I change the menu numbering.
  • When creating a boot disk, the script will display the status of the "GraphicsEnabler" flag in the boot plist and prompt you, if you wish to change it or keep it. The status of the "GraphicsEnabler" flag will also be displayed when installing the bootloader for any disk for the first time. This will help prevent any boot surprises, if the flag is not in a expected state and incompatible with your setup.
  • Reworked the cache update routine for RAID installs. OS X 10.7.4 and OS X 10.8 update the kernelcaches on the RAID helper partitions almost immediately after the cache is created by the script, forcing the need to throw in added checks for this interference. The script really has to be careful to monitor this OS behavior and verify that the OS is done with the RAID cache updates on each helper partition, before the script resumes any additional work, like copying files. Having the script working on a partition when the OS wants to work on another partition that has the exact same name can lead to disaster. Additionally, even if the partition names are not the same, the OS can update a partition and then unmount it while the script is currently working on it, leading to all kinds of missing files and bad behavior.
  • Fixed an issue where the cdboot file for DVD creation may not be copied over from bootloader updates. This file is crucial for booting DVDs and has now been moved to a permanent location.
  • Reworked OS Installer routine to recognize OS installers that no longer have "Mac" in the name. This routine is also used to find installers for boot disk creation.
  • Updated Assorted utilities to include a native power management check and other utilities. This is still a work-in-progress.
  • Fixed the SSD TRIM Fix routine in the Utilities menu so that it works on the latest Lion and Mountain Lion releases.
  • Fixed a little bug that prevented RAID partition windows from appearing when using View Partitions.
  • Fixed a bug where the RAID partitions would be set active during the Boot disk creation routine, instead of the desired boot disk, if a RAID drive was selected as the main install target.
  • Script has been reworked to send notifications for both Growl v1.2.2 (for OS X 10.6) and Growl v1.3 (for OS X 10.7 and 10.8).
  • Updated AppleRTC.kext for Mountain Lion. This is the Mountain Lion version (v1.5) with the wake from sleep CMOS reset fix. The previous one was from Lion.
  • Updated to latest IASL compiler (v2012_04_20 - 32-Bit/64-Bit) for DSDT patching. You may get additional warnings (ResourceTag larger than Field) from this latest compiler, the new compiler is better at catching errors that were not detected previously. So, just ignore them until I find a way to correct them. Warnings are non-lethal. Errors, on the other hand, can cause a kernel panic, which is a Bad Thing™.

SCRIPT UPDATE:

UPDATE: 5/14/12 - version 7.0

• When creating a boot disk, the script will display the status of the "GraphicsEnabler" flag in the boot plist and prompt you, if you wish to change it or keep it. The status of the "GraphicsEnabler" flag will also be displayed when installing the bootloader for any disk for the first time. This will help prevent any boot surprises, if the flag is not in a expected state and incompatible with your setup.

digital_dreamer:

I have two questions: The USB boot disk created by your script its supposed to be only for booting Lion/ML setup, or, it should also allow you to boot to the computer after the setup is completed? I mean, i can boot Lion setup with that USB memory, but after setup finish, i can't boot the computer to Lion to continue the final steps of the setup and do all the script functions. Of course i'm trying to boot an installation done in an Apple RAID. I found that using a combination of rBoot from tonymax86 and your usb boot disk, i can boot the Lion Install before applying your script.

Did you found which is the PMVersion=XX for sleepenabler for 10.7.4?

Thank you very much for all the effort and awesome work that you had done the past 3-4 years with this project, i truly appreciate the art and passion that you had printed to this project.

I did many other tests this weekend , and there are some times that i can do a tricky combination of steps and get all to work in a) standard boot using the RAID, but sometimes no not wants to write kexts to helper partitions, etc.

antovasa

antovasa,

You are correct: You cannot boot into the newly installed Lion/ML drive immediately after running the USB boot disk installer. The USB boot disk only allows one to easily install the OS on the desired drive.

After the install has been accomplished from the USB boot disk, the user still needs to boot into another already set up Mac OS system to run the script for the final process. At this point the script can then install the needed kexts, rebuild the caches, create a DSDT file, etc. on the desired drive. Only after that can one boot into OS X on a hackintosh.

Ideally, I would love to be able to have the HackInstaller run on the USB boot disk to run the final setup needed. Unfortunately, the boot disk, as provided by Apple, does not have the required BASH command line functions for the script to run, thus making this process unworkable.

I've dabbled into this issue off and on and am looking into a way to copy over the command line functions, so that one can do this all in one boot. That would be a great feature.

best of wishes,

MAJ

Since DP3 ML does not require a 'sleep' kext, at least on my X58-UD3 boards. AppleRTC, FakeSMC and IOAHCIBlockStorage are the only kexts required to boot. For full functionality two kexts are required for audio and one for ethernet. Set the prefs for sleep and the machine totally shuts down, fans and all. A mouse click or keyboard tap wakes it up.

I have been loading ML new distributions on top of previous loads and also on top of Lion installs with no bad results (I get tired of going through the setup procedure). The only necessary fix is to reload the old SL AppleHDA kext to restore audio.

I have begun to use ML exclusively because of the annoying Mail quit problem in Lion. That may have been fixed in 10.7.4 but I switched to ML about the time that upgrade appeared.

DD's script is still the easiest way to install Mac on a PC!

Just a heads up for everyone:

• I released the latest script v7 with the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext removed from the 10.8 installation. It's still in the repository, but won't get installed by default. So, if you don't have native power management working and didn't see this little oversight on my part, you're going to get a KP on boot.
  • RE: sleepenabler. I don't presently use a SleepEnabler.kext, as I have power management working on my system. Because of this, I haven't really been testing out the compatibility of the SleepEnabler kexts with the various OS updates and their kernels, as well as what pmVersion # is used, if needed. The goal by the Chameleon team has been to incorporate the SleepEnabler.kext functionality into the bootloader at some time. As for whether this is being done, I wouldn't know.
  • The next release of the script will allow you to run the script within the installer environment, making it possible to install everything needed without an additional boot in another OS drive. So, a running system will only be needed to create a boot disk. All that one will need to do is enter the Terminal and type "HackInstaller" and go to work. I basically have it working already (I had to just see if it was even possible), but a lot of work still needs to be done. It's challenging, as the installer environment is a read-only file system, so no script logging, preference updates, etc. can be done until a valid write-capable drive is assigned. Some features will be disabled.

kind regards,

MAJ

• Like 4

The next release of the script will allow you to run the script within the installer environment, making it possible to install everything needed without an additional boot in another OS drive. So, a running system will only be needed to create a boot disk. All that one will need to do is enter the Terminal and type "HackInstaller" and go to work. I basically have it working already (I had to just see if it was even possible), but a lot of work still needs to be done. It's challenging, as the installer environment is a read-only file system, so no script logging, preference updates, etc. can be done until a valid write-capable drive is assigned. Some features will be disabled.

OMG can't wait for this feature :D. Will certainly speed up my Mac OS X installs.

Hi All,

I've run into a strange problem since installing Java 2012-003, which is basically that I can no longer run flash video.

I was running 10.7.3 when I updated to Java 2012-003, and noticed it immediately.

I have since reinstalled with both Kakewalk and hackinstaller but am getting the same thing. Both times I wiped the EFI partition.

he applet will load as black, then completely disappear :/

I am now running 10.7.4 with v7.0 of the hackinstaller (totally default) on my EX58-EXTREME (UD5) Rev. 1.0, and have a 8800 GTS 320mb nVidia card installed.

I've tried searching on instanelymac and some other hackintosh forums but can't seem to find anything. Has anyone else seen this sort of thing?

Profile Attached

• The next release of the script will allow you to run the script within the installer environment, making it possible to install everything needed without an additional boot in another OS drive.

You really keep things going, thanks you for that! Can't wait to try it with Mountain Lion in Summer :) With your script and support, my gigabyte mashine is really a good mac. I can't remember when I last had a problem, it is much more stable than windows actually. Thank you!

it has been a while since I have last posted here (which is a good thing, means less problems). Just want to say thanks again DD for all the work you have done, really means a lot. Just used the updated script and got to 10.7.4. Computer is 4-5 years old and still running stronger than my 2 year old mbp.

Wow, happy to see this is still going strong, 200 pages! Got me through a couple tough times when people started wanting me to put OSX on whatever they had laying around and I had always only worked on my own ground up builds. Really appreciate the work put in as well as the education, much more interactive, never felt like I pushed a button and it worked or didn't, without ever knowing why. And I've dipped back into the repositories for various things, now always in my own archives, more times than I can count. I'm almost sad to see the improvements, but can't argue with progress. Sorry if off topic, but you deserve the praise DD. Bravo!

Hi,

Firstly, thanks to digital_dreamer for his excellent set of scripts which I've used successfully on this board for a considerable time.

I do have a new problem though and despite scouring the boards can't find a solution.

My previous setup was a clean install of Lion on the EX58-UD5 using the scripts and latest Chameleon 2.1, D00D's DSDL for this MB and the bare minimum of Kext's to have a stable system.

My previous graphics card was an 8800GT reflashed to be auto-recognized by the OS (this is from earlier days when getting cards to be recognized was a little harder).

I just upgraded to a Zotac GTX550Ti card and now the fun starts... On boot up after the kext loading the screen just goes black. The only way I can get this to work at all is with an original 8800GT EFI string which obviously does not provide any graphics acceleration.

I've seen all kings of hacks, additional kexts etc. but really like the clean approach I've been following with minimal system modification.

Has anyone upgraded to this card or similar GTX5XX series successfully and what was the cleanest way to get this crd recognized?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks.

Hello, I have some issues with Logic Pro 9.1.6 .. i got the following error message : error while trying to synchronize audio and midi ..

First of all i know all the issues that come with that error and i tried everything with but i am still getting the error.. I am very familiar with this error and i read every single post on the net according to this error..

Now i am running on Lion 10.7.2.. When i was running on 10.5.7 logic I had the same problem and a way to fix it.. it was just to boot with the following command "voodoo" running through voodoo kernel i had no problems on 10.5.7.

Also i was trying to boot on 10.7.2 with lower busratio... as i have read that may be a problem... and still getting the error..

The hint is that i was possible to run logic with voodoo in 10.5.7..

Can someone tell me his opinion I will be very appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

My computer specifications are:

Osx - 10.7.2

GA-EX58-UD5

i7-920

10 Gb ram corsair xms

xfx 512mb graphics card..

Edit : i get very low geekbench scores maybe this is playing it's role... here is the geekbench score : http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/721814

Been a while since I last posted, this indeed means little or no trouble at all, until I decided to go 10.7.4 that is. I finally got it running, and started using DD's latest version of the script.

Something odd is that - for me - the new naming of org.chameleon.boot.plist instead of com.apple.boot.plist gives me trouble, graphics trouble that is. My gtx280 only works when using the old apple.boot naming, not with the new one, just renaming does the trick. Of course, now I'm getting the error message ("depreciated") at boot but at least it works.

Is this a known issue. is there a problem with the injection, a simple solution perhaps ?

Other than that (and with the old name instead of the new), all is working perfectly. A big well deserved thanks to D_D as always.

Thorgal:

The choice of boot.plist depends on the version of Chameleon one is using. At/or about r1030 com.apple was no longer recognized as a change was made to org.chameleon. Earlier bootloader versions require com.apple, later, org.chameleon. During that period I had two copies of the same boot.plist in my extra folder - one com.apple and the other org.chameleon, as I was changing bootloader revisions and couldn't keep track or which required what!

The present version of Chameleon in DDs script is r1940 (I think). That one definitely requires org.chameleon. However, I found that one did not like my 9500GT video card and I have reverted to r1924.

I finally got around to trying Lion on a 3rd HDD and ran into a few issues. I have a EX58-UD4P. Works flawlessly on my Snow Leopard on the second HDD.

First issue was the USB would not boot fully, kept stopping at BootCache.Playlist missing or something like that. Finally fixed that by putting the PCEFI 10.6 bootloader on the USB boot disk. Then got it to install and boot into Lion. Ran the Hackinstaller and put the 2.1 RC5 bootloader and all the necessary kexts. Rebooted and it keeps freezing at Waiting for DSMOS. So tried putting fakesmc.kext in S/L/E but still same problem. So then put tried the other bootloader from the Hackinstaller (chimera) and same thing. So then tried the PCEFI boot file again and it works. But problem there is it doesn't seem to read my EFI string or all the kexts in the Extra folder. Also don't believe it is Lion friendly either.

Is there another bootloader I can try that doesn't have this Waiting for DSMOS issue that I seem to have? I've tried 4 different fakesmc.kext and 3 different bootloader.

Thanks

Dixit

@Chivs

Wish I had something to help you regarding that Zotac GTX550Ti, I but I don't.

This is one reason why I typically search the forums for success stories on a prospective GPU before deciding on buying it.

Looks like the AMD Radeon 6970 is finally getting good support now. I'll probably upgrade my 5770 to it when I get a 27" monitor, since the 5770 doesn't support it.

@The K man

Have no real idea about the Logic Pro 9.1.6 error.

Are you overclocked? NM, I see that you're running at stock speed, at least, according to the geekbench score.

It appears to be a timing mismatch - the OS thinks it's running at one speed, but the reality is different. Does your system feel slow? Are the hardware stats recorded in the geekbench score correct?

Look at your smbios.plist: This plist provides your system the hardware stats and may be incorrect. If have any speed related strings in the plist, try removing them and see if the bootloader will correctly recognize your hardware stats, instead of relying on the smbios.plist for this info.

@Thorgal

See my comment to everdone below.

@everdone

Had no idea the renamed org.chameleon plist created problems for you guys. Interesting news.

If you would like the script to work with a com.apple.Boot.plist and not rename it, you can try the following:

Open the script file in a text editor (from ~extra/Resources/Scripts/HackInstaller.sh)

Near the top of the script is a list of variables that are defined. Toward the bottom of this list (sixth from bottom) is this: BOOT_PLST_NM="org.chameleon.Boot"

Change it to: BOOT_PLST_NM="com.apple.Boot" and save changes.

Let me know if this works for you.

@dixit

Had no idea PCEFI 10.6 still works!

This sounds like a DSDT issue. Are you including a DSDT.aml file in your Extra folder?

Just out of curiosity, you're not using a RAID setup, are you? Because this also sounds like what happens when you boot a RAID without a combo cache.

Have you've you tried using a combo cache for your setup, just to see if it improves anything?

I'll be providing an update today.

kind regards,

MAJ

SCRIPT UPDATE:

UPDATE: 6/15/12 - version 7.1

• Boot disk creator: Added ability to run the HackInstaller script inside the OS X installer environment. This process will allow one to install the OS without the need for another working install on the same system. You just need a Mac to create the boot disk.
    After you have installed the OS and while you are still inside the installer, select "Terminal" from the "Utilities" menu and type hackinstaller (not case sensitive). The script will run and prompt you for the desired target drive, etc., and then proceed to copy the script folder to that drive. After the copy, the script will restart from that location. Note that this copy will only need to take place once, so if you need to change your install target or decide to exit the Terminal and re-enter, you can just pick up where you left off.
    There are a number of options disabled, but the primary routines required for booting are fully working, with one exception.
    I've not been able to get the creation of EFI strings working properly, which uses the gfxutil command line utility and some missing frameworks. For the time being, one can create a EFI string "For bootloader install", prior to creating the boot disk. Then, the script will not need to process that EFI string in the install environment - the bootloader installer will include this EFI string that was made in advance.
  • Implemented a way to display the contents of the /Extra folder or EFI/RAID helper partitions in the Terminal. This is enabled by default when running in the installer environment, as the Finder for displaying folder/partition contents in a window is not available. During normal use, however, you can invoke this feature by typing "6t" ("6" is the View Partitions menu number and "t" is for tree-view or terminal).
  • Removed the 9 drive/partition limit. This was required just to get the script working in the installer environment, as there are 12 disk images mounted in the installer, on top of whatever drives and partitions you may have added to your system.
  • Bootloader installer: If you are attempting to perform an /Extra install (RAID or non-EFI) on a partition with an partition ID greater than 4, and your preference calls for installing the older boot0 booter (prefers active partition first), the bootloader installer will switch to a different stage-0 booter (boot0hfs or boot0md - prefers bootable HFS+ first). This will happen because the fdisk utility that is used for setting partitions active does not work above partition ID 4, AFAIK. This is to ensure that a valid and working stage-0 booter is installed in any case.
  • Bootloader updater: With the introduction of the Chameleon v2.1 r1994 bootloader, the developers have added GUI support for 10.8 (Mountain Lion). Because of this, the script now makes sure any new or updated themes compiled or built via update routine are copied over to the script's Themes folder.
  • Updated Chimera bootloader source svn path, as it has been moved to a new sub-branch (/Release). One sub-branch is used for development (/Chimera/Dev) and the other for the release version (/Chimera/Release).
  • Bootloader installer: Implemented a bootloader verify at the end of the routine to ensure that all 3 stages of the bootloader are installed successfully.
  • Introduced an updated selection of 36 bootloader themes. A number of them contain alternative setups (different resolutions, device art, etc.) that can be used, which will require one to rename or move files to their appropriate location for use. The script has been updated to display a number of vital theme variables that can be useful in selecting a desired theme. The following information is displayed by the script:
    • Target screen resolution (as defined by the screen_width and screen_height tags).
    • Background picture resolution.
    • Theme author.
    • Device art present: This includes generic, cdrom, hfsplus, hfsraid, ntfs, fat, ext3, befs, freebsd, and openbsd.
      With the introduction of Chameleon r1990, device art for major OS X versions are also recognized in the hfsplus device: leo, sl, lion, and ml.

[*] Updated to latest IASL compiler (v2012_05_18 - 32-Bit/64-Bit) for DSDT patching.

[*] Included netkas' Native 6970 Package for AMD Radeon 6970 GPU.

• Like 1

After starting the 7.1 version i get a grep error right below the greeting banner. I get a suggestion to use grep --help to find valid options.

The offending grep is the one on line 173.

Harald.

fact,

How so very odd.

What OS version are you using and do you have developer tools installed?

That line hasn't been changed in quite some time, so wonder what the issue is.

Does the script halt or is it able to retrieve the saved target volume name, or must you keep selecting it from the list?

Oh, and is this happening in the install environment on a boot disk?

MAJ

Try this updated version 7.1.1 and place in ~extra/Resources/Scripts

MAJ,

This happens when I run the script on my MB Pro (10.7.4 XCode installed), when the screen is drawn after entering the password and every time I try to change the target (menu option 11). The script happily continues so there is no big issue here, but it gives the grep error message and then correctly shows available drives to select as target.

Same in 7.1.1. Screenshot upload continued to fail.

Performed some additional tests and it turns out the same message occurs when running from terminal after install from boot disk.

- fact

Interesting.

Try the following commands in bold. My results follow.

bash -version

GNU bash, version 3.2.48(1)-release (x86_64-apple-darwin11)

Copyright © 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

grep --version

grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1

Copyright etc...

echo -e "first\nsecond\nthird\nfourth" | grep second

second

echo -e "first\nsecond\nthird\nfourth" | grep -B 1 second

first

second

The last one has the grep option you reported on. It has a context option to print 1 line before the match.

MAJ