[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Just to say i've installed using the script on my ud5 fine. only gotchas where i had to inject the graphics properties via an efi string rather than graphicsenabler=yes.

used same dsdt i've been using since snow leopard. but changed smbios.plist to be a macpro5,1 from of 4,1.

Reapplied edits/patches to get cpupowermanagement, non apple trim support, and fix for CMOS reset after sleep.

Good work DD!

Jon

Hi Digital D:

I have a question for you (or anybody else that can help). I have had some great assistance with installing - Hackinstaller to have Snow Leopard 10.6.7 up and running on my main 240GB SSD. My only question that I have is how to make an EXACT duplicate bootable copy of that SSD so I can keep an extra backup, in case something happens to my original working copy of Mac OS X 10.6.7? I have tried using Disk Utility (DU) and so far nothing that I'm trying is working to make that happen. Can you help with using DU or any other app that can make that happen? Thanks... :)

BTW, great work on setting up your initial post here; very thorough... B)

Hi Digital D:

I have a question for you (or anybody else that can help). I have had some great assistance with installing - Hackinstaller to have Snow Leopard 10.6.7 up and running on my main 240GB SSD. My only question that I have is how to make an EXACT duplicate bootable copy of that SSD so I can keep an extra backup, in case something happens to my original working copy of Mac OS X 10.6.7? I have tried using Disk Utility (DU) and so far nothing that I'm trying is working to make that happen. Can you help with using DU or any other app that can make that happen? Thanks... :)

Carbon Copy Cloner does a good job, or you can do a bit for bit copy in Terminal using dd command. The basic command would be:

dd if=/dev/"name of HD to be copied" of=/dev/"name of HD your copying too"

Hi Digital D:

I sent a PM, but I'll quote part of my reply here as well:

The way I've always made a bootable copy of my boot drive is selecting the drive/partition in Disk Utility and then "File" --> "New" --> "Disk image from <name of drive/partition>" The default is a compressed archive and that works fine.

If your /Extra directory is on the boot drive, then everything is there. You would just need to restore the image to the drive in question and install the bootloader. The restore won't install the bootloader on the drive sector.

If the /Extra directory is on a EFI partition, I'd would just reinstall the bootloader, kexts, DSDT, etc. after restoring the image.

This has always worked for me, as I have to do this rather frequently to test different setups for my script - RAID, EFI installs, EFI on RAID, etc.

best of wishes,

MAJ

Edit: Had to remove all sorts of weird formatting

I'm at lost here. I justing installed ML using the latest version of this script (7.1) last Friday. At first, shutdown didn't work so I used the script to add OpenHaltRestart to /Extra and /S/L/E. It seemed to resolve my shutdown issue. However, since yesterday, the shutdown issue has come back and OpenHaltRestart doesn't seem to do the job anymore. Please advise.

Basically, the screen goes black but the fan in the case still spins.

EDIT: Bootloader is Chameleon version that came with script 7.1 since it wasn't able to get anything newer online.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I have a GA EX58UD5 that Ive run as a hack dual boot for several years. OSX 10.6.4

I followed the original digital dreamer leopard thread at the time.

I decided to not mess with what works so I stayed there...

Now my daughter decided that it was to old and ran a Apple software update to 10.6.8 without asking...

After a reboot it wont start anymore, and as its been a long time since i dabbled I dont really know what's the best way forward.

I would prefer not to have to restart all over though. to many programs and stuff to trash it.

The Chameleon bootloader is still active and can see the OSX partition, but when I try to boot it it gives me aKP when loading the CPU power managment kext ( I think)

I'm still dual booting with W7 but I dont have access to another mac at the moment.

Ideas or suggestions on how to proceed much appreciated!

I noticed that after installing mountian lion on my ud5 mobo using the script. The dvd eject key no longer worked, and dvd player software claimed not to find a drive. After a bit of searching i found that the dvd drive needed injecting in IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext.

add the entry below to the kexts info.plist and re-install the kext and rebuild the caches using the script, the eject key and dvd player will then work.

Thanks

Jon

<key>IOAHCISerialATAPI</key>
 <dict>
  <key>ATAPI</key>
  <true/>
	  <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
  <string>com.apple.iokit.IOAHCISerialATAPI</string>
  <key>IOClass</key>
  <string>IOAHCISerialATAPI</string>
  <key>IOProbeScore</key>
  <integer>25000</integer>
	  <key>IOProviderClass</key>
  <string>IOAHCIDevice</string>
  <key>Protocol Characteristics</key>
  <dict>
   <key>Physical Interconnect</key>
   <string>SATA</string>
   <key>Physical Interconnect Location</key>
   <string>Internal</string>
  </dict>
 </dict>

Question to you guys running 10.8/10.8.1: Is the OS on EX58-UD5 completely stable (comparable to Lion)?

Running 10.7.4 right now and almost everything works (i7 920, GTX 260, MBR Dual Boot, no RAID). Just asking because I ran into a lot of work and need a stable system. Can't stop thinking of Mountain Lion though, there just too many nice features ;)

Question to you guys running 10.8/10.8.1: Is the OS on EX58-UD5 completely stable (comparable to Lion)?

Running 10.7.4 right now and almost everything works (i7 920, GTX 260, MBR Dual Boot, no RAID). Just asking because I ran into a lot of work and need a stable system. Can't stop thinking of Mountain Lion though, there just too many nice features ;)

for me i would say yes. similar system although my boot disk is guid partition not mbr. The biggest problem i had was graphics, chameleon injection wouldn't work anymore, so i extracted my device properties form lion, and injected that via the boot plist. apart form that, my same DSDT works right from leopard. I use a DSDT that works with native apple audio kexts, if you don't then you may need to find the right custom/patched kext to work for you.

also see above about optical drive.

I did a clean install and migrated user files, but re-installed apps manually, i always find that the safest.

• Like 1

Thanks for your answer, installed ML today :)

I decided to give the migration assistant a try and let it copy programs too (mainly because of mail settings and some other program data). I am still stunned, it worked absolutely flawlessly... Maybe not the cleanest way, but honestly EVERYTHING is there just like I left it. Didn't have to reinstall anything, even programs which have an own installer still work (Office, Creative Suite, ...).

Only sleep does not work yet, even with my previous DSDT. Will check on that tomorrow, not so important now ;)

Thanks for the new script, install disk crator with hackinstaller is great! Only EFI string generation is missing during install - my graphics card doesn't work without it anymore.

And thanks Apple for creating an OS that simply works :)

but i have an issue, working with 10.8

I use d00d's power modifications.

I have sleep, restart, wake working with patched rtc and dsl

Problem is, machine gets to sleep even when burning a DVD.

I have an LG Blu Ray burner installed.

Philipp

Could anyone post a DSDT that enables sleep for 10.8.1 on EX58-ud5? Can't get it working with my previous DSDT. Installed only AppleRTC and FakeSMC from Misc Patches...

EDIT: solved, patched AppleRTC is not only required for CMOS reset fix (which can be achieved with DSDT too), but also for sleep.

Note: I did not create/patch this kext. Thanks to creator!

AppleRTC.kext.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I'm in need of your smarts. Everything is working great in ML 10.8.1 except for 1 thing, sleep/wake. I have the patched RTC installed, and didn't have any issues with sleep in Lion. When I put the computer to sleep with button or view menu, the comp goes to sleep no problem (so I am thinking) but when I wake it up, via mouse, keyboard or other I restart as if the computer was shutdown. I'm not exactly sure whats going on since it worked great in Lion. I'm using CruiSAr's patched DSDT, with only Fakesmc, AppleRTC, and ionetworking kext's. All are installed in S/L/E. I'd post my system log but I for lie life of me cant remember where the sleep command is posted to the log.

Any help is much appreciated, it doesn't seem like anyone else is having this specific issue, so I'm asking the experts for help.

Thanks Guys,

Jeff

go to system preferences then energy saver and check if 'start up automatically after a power failure' is checked. I'm using CruiSAr's DSDT as well since Snow Leo and sleep is working :)

edit: and uncheck 'wake for Ethernet network access'. This caused my hackintosh to wake every 2 hours and go back to sleep 1 minute after waking. this was annoying!