[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Hi DD,

From Heart : Thank You !

Great Great job you've done since i use this thread (years now) and your script.

i dump this morning to ML from 10.7.4...it works like never !

Hi Maj,

Epic script mate. Clean ML RAID install with everything appearing to work very well.. Although Apple need to bring back 'Double click to minimise'!!

Can somebody please shine some light on the RAID Extra update process in ML? If I select 6) View RAID member partitions I get to see the first RAID member partition. Hackinstaller says to use this for drag and drop.

It seems like I can update this (edit boot.plist, tweak DSDT etc) like I used to update my old Extra folder on a non-RAID install? However, I need to know If I do make changes do I then have to repeat the process on the other member partition or does this script take care of this? Does it even need to?

Any pointers on RAID maintenance appreciated - I'm in new territory here so need to get up to speed.

cheers

k/

Hey, Cosmin Petre,

Here are some FYIs:

The script will update all/any RAID helper partitions in any related category automatically. As examples:

When using the Kext Installer, all RAID helper partitions are always updated with any new kexts (or kext removals).

Boot cache updater will update the cache on all helper partitions.

DSDT updater updates DSDT files on all helper partitions.

The plist updater will update the plist in all helper partitions.

(Technically, the above procedures are not actually repeated for each partition. The contents of one partition's /Extra directory (the Drag 'N Drop partition) are merely copied to any other helper partitions.)

The View Partitions' Drag 'N Drop feature was designed specifically for those who wish to modify the kexts of /Extra manually in the Finder (without Kext Installer) and update the boot cache afterward.

(The Drag 'N Drop feature in View Partitions is actually available on any setup, but on RAID setups it is identified for the user, as the script will copy from the source partition (Drag 'N Drop partition) to the other target partitions to keep them in sync.)

On the RAID setups, all contents of /Extra in the Drag 'N Drop partition is copied to the other helper partitions.

Although the Drag 'N Drop was specifically designed with kexts in mind, any file can be modified in /Extra on the Drag 'N Drop partition and be expected to be replicated to the other helper partitions.

Does this help?

One extra point can be made in regards to RAID helper partitions:

Technically, one can get away with just having a /Extra directory on one helper partition if he just uses that helper partition to boot from.

Having the /Extra directory contents on each helper partition allows one to choose any of the partitions in the Chameleon bootloader and expect it to boot.

best regards,

MAJ

Does this help?

Indeed, thanks Maj,

Very helpful and informative, it's pretty much how I expected/hoped it would work. Just one thing...

Could you just clarify - do I have to run cache updater after I edit/add a file to the drag n' drop partition?

thanks again

UPDATE - Re: My earlier gripe about double-click to minimise windows is still available but has now been moved to the Dock preferences in Sys Prefs.

@ digital_dreamer

Thanx for asking :) Yes, I resolved the KP problem thanx to the tsunoo advice to remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Could you just clarify - do I have to run cache updater after I edit/add a file to the drag n' drop partition?

Yes, if the file in question is a kext.

If you are adding/updating/removing any kexts, you'd want to run the cache updater to keep the cache in sync with the actual kexts present in /Extra.

Modifying any other files (plists, DSDT, etc.) will not require an update.

This, of course, only applies if you are using a cache in /Extra. If you are using a /Extra/Extensions setup, then no cache is involved.

Best regards,

MAJ

Hi there,

Well installed Mountain Lion today, runs smooth (as was the installation using the script!).

While installing the bootloader, I noticed the update option, but I have been unable to update the chameleon bootloader. Xcode is installed (with the command line tools) and I already redownloaded the script twice. But when I try to update bootloaders, I get the error "Unable to access server" at chameleon and "Unable to retrieve link" with Chimera (see screenshot attached, I already compiled the latest version of chameleon myself -> option 2).

Could the problem be because the chameleon buildbot is offline?

post-247046-0-98073200-1343745895_thumb.png

Hello everybody!

It's been a good while since I posted anything here. Glad to see this thread is still quite alive...

I installed Mountain Lion over Lion on a maintenance drive on my GA-EX58-UD5 (now upgraded from a Core i7 920 to a 990x). On Lion, I'm running a heavily customized dsdt.aml that allows me to boot with only fakesmc and ionetworkingfamily .kext. I attempted to replicate this setup with Mountain Lion. Pretty much everything works except sleep (didn't get to try reboot). Upon waking from sleep, the systems restarts with the old CMOS reset bug (an old friend I haven't seen for a while).

I didn't update my dsdt.aml when I upgraded to the 990x (everything seemed to work in Lion so I didn't bother). I did have to update my smbios.plist though since the App Store didn't want to allow me to purchase Mountain Lion. I'm now identifying my hack as a MacPro5,1 (serial and everything relevant has been modified to match). I'll have to test to see if this is not the cause of the issue (mismatches between dsdt.aml patches and MacPro model).

Before I get rid of the dsdt.aml that worked for me for so long, I was wondering if anybody had any similar issues and/or some pointers for me to explore.

MAJ, thanks again for you great script!

Colddiver

the bootloader is also not updating on mines. the error i'm getting is "Compiling failed"

Current Chameleon bootloaders available to install:

2) Chameleon v2.1svn r1995 - Compiling failed!

- Unofficial release. Most fully-featured bootloader. Lion OS support.

3) Chimera r1982 - Compiling failed!

- Unified Chameleon bootloader. Consolidates best features of sources.

Sandy Bridge support, ATI 5xxx graphics support, improved nVidia graphics

support, and improved Core iX CPU detection and reporting.

Hi guys, after being abroad for over a year, I am back again with my beloved UD-5 hackintosh setup that I had left behind. I'm still running SL on that machine and I am eager to install Mountain Lion. Two short questions:

- I have SL installed on one physical HD and want to install ML on another physical drive. Since I don't have a USB drive around with enough space for the ML image as boot drive, is there a way to mount the ML image in my old SL install and just install it on the new hard drive?

- I am using a modified DSDT from CruisAr with audio and native power management etc. already included. Should I give that file a try in ML? With that file, I have sleep and everything working, which is nice. (CruisAr, are you still around?)

Thanks!

Hey everyone... I need a little advice. I've followed this thread for years and have read every post at some point or another. That said, I'm not entirely sure how to proceed with updating Lion to Mountain Lion. Can I do an in-place upgrade somehow or do I have to start from scratch and restore my apps and user accounts from time machine?

I am using a modified DSDT from CruisAr with audio and native power management etc. already included. Should I give that file a try in ML? With that file, I have sleep and everything working, which is nice. (CruisAr, are you still around?)

Works a treat here on ML - sleep, audio & power management all working fine.

Re: Cruisar - I think he got himself a real Mac and left the Hack scene. His DSDT lives on though!

• Like 1

VirusX: You can create a new 8gig or so partition on either of the two hard drives. Use DD's script to make the partition bootable with ML installer. Then install from there. You can install 'on-top' of SL or do a new install to a new HD. Generally speaking, what works in SL and Lion will work in ML - exceptions being sleepenabler kexts and video. Look around the forum and you will find a number of threads where video cards that previously worked fine, yield a black or weird screen in ML. I use an ATI5770 that works well. I had a 9500GT card in another machine that didn't work in ML, however a different vendor 9500GT works - mileage may vary!

InsanelyOne: Yes, you can install ML on top of SL. Create a bootable USB with ML using DD's script, boot into the USB and select the SL partition as the install target. I would caution, as always, to do a clone of backup of your SL install just in case trouble occurs.

• Like 1

Hi there,

Well installed Mountain Lion today, runs smooth (as was the installation using the script!).

While installing the bootloader, I noticed the update option, but I have been unable to update the chameleon bootloader. Xcode is installed (with the command line tools) and I already redownloaded the script twice. But when I try to update bootloaders, I get the error "Unable to access server" at chameleon and "Unable to retrieve link" with Chimera (see screenshot attached, I already compiled the latest version of chameleon myself -> option 2).

Could the problem be because the chameleon buildbot is offline?

Windows04,

Yes, the Chameleon buildbot has been offline for quite a few months now. I've complained about this at the voodooprojects.org forums and they are aware of the situation. No timeline has been offered as for when it will be available. I don't know what appears to be the problem.

As for the Chimera link. Well, the tonymacx86.com site keeps changing the links and access methods. I believe I've reworked and reworked this portion several times, only to have it changed again. So, for the present time, I suggest going to the actual site and downloading it from their download page.

Make sure you are a registered member of tonymacx86. I just noticed that my login no longer works there.

All that work on the update feature seems to have gotten nowhere. :wallbash:

As for the compiling issues (if you are compiling in ML), make sure you read the previous page in this thread, as it offers tips on getting it working in ML.

kind regards,

MAJ

Thank you everdone and Cosmin Petre.

I installed the OS X Base System on an extra partition of my testbed-HD and installed from there to the other partition. Works fine although coming from D_D's script v5 it was a bit confusing a first. But I can see and appreciate the improvements of having the hackinstaller on the boot disk. Thanks again D_D for your script.

First I tried an install with all the standard kexts D_D is providing as a standard setup with his installer. Network, Audio, etc worked but sleep and shutdown didn't. I also used a new DSDT made with his script. But Before I looked more into the sleep issue, I decided to give the old patched DSDT from CruiSAr a try.

I left only the

- IONetworkingFamily.kext and the FakeSMC.kext in /Extra

- AppleRTC.kext in /System (I noted that down over a year ago - I don't know if that's still necessary)

and copied the DSDT to /Extra. Rebooted and sleep works fine (checked 'start up automatically after a power failure' in Energy Saver Settings).

Networking and Audio works too although I have now less audio devices available. Stereo output and digital output (only tested stereo).

Maybe I'll play around a bit with the different audio kexts but since I probably only need stereo output, I should be fine.

Next step: install ML on my working environment.

Thanks again all of you.

Cheers,

Maxim

Windows04,

Yes, the Chameleon buildbot has been offline for quite a few months now. I've complained about this at the voodooprojects.org forums and they are aware of the situation. No timeline has been offered as for when it will be available. I don't know what appears to be the problem.

As for the Chimera link. Well, the tonymacx86.com site keeps changing the links and access methods. I believe I've reworked and reworked this portion several times, only to have it changed again. So, for the present time, I suggest going to the actual site and downloading it from their download page.

Make sure you are a registered member of tonymacx86. I just noticed that my login no longer works there.

All that work on the update feature seems to have gotten nowhere. :wallbash:

As for the compiling issues (if you are compiling in ML), make sure you read the previous page in this thread, as it offers tips on getting it working in ML.

kind regards,

MAJ

Allright, thanks :D, will do that ;).

having some issues with my 10.6.8 install, it wont boot and I get a "No OS Set yet" 'kernel panic' when trying to boot. I've tried reinstalling bootloader (same i've used, i believe, Chameleon v2.0 RC5r691) installed kexts from v6.06 script and DSDT patch and no luck.

I tried to make a 10.8 boot disk with the latest script but with no luck...script hangs in the middle of the process...

I just want my 10.6.8 up and running, it's been at least 2 days with this issue.

my com.apple.boot.plist:

&--#60;?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?&--#62;
&--#60;!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"&--#62;
&--#60;plist version="1.0"&--#62;
&--#60;dict&--#62;
&--#60;key&--#62;EthernetBuiltIn&--#60;/key&--#62;
&--#60;string&--#62;Yes&--#60;/string&--#62;
&--#60;key&--#62;Graphics Mode&--#60;/key&--#62;
&--#60;string&--#62;1280x1024x32&--#60;/string&--#62;
&--#60;key&--#62;GraphicsEnabler&--#60;/key&--#62;
&--#60;string&--#62;Yes&--#60;/string&--#62;
&--#60;key&--#62;Kernel&--#60;/key&--#62;
&--#60;string&--#62;mach_kernel&--#60;/string&--#62;
&--#60;key&--#62;Kernel Flags&--#60;/key&--#62;
&--#60;string&--#62;-v arch=i386&--#60;/string&--#62;
&--#60;key&--#62;Timeout&--#60;/key&--#62;
&--#60;string&--#62;1&--#60;/string&--#62;
&--#60;/dict&--#62;
&--#60;/plist&--#62;

Edited by LeifErikson

Hello everybody!

It's been a good while since I posted anything here. Glad to see this thread is still quite alive...

I installed Mountain Lion over Lion on a maintenance drive on my GA-EX58-UD5 (now upgraded from a Core i7 920 to a 990x). On Lion, I'm running a heavily customized dsdt.aml that allows me to boot with only fakesmc and ionetworkingfamily .kext. I attempted to replicate this setup with Mountain Lion. Pretty much everything works except sleep (didn't get to try reboot). Upon waking from sleep, the systems restarts with the old CMOS reset bug (an old friend I haven't seen for a while).

I didn't update my dsdt.aml when I upgraded to the 990x (everything seemed to work in Lion so I didn't bother). I did have to update my smbios.plist though since the App Store didn't want to allow me to purchase Mountain Lion. I'm now identifying my hack as a MacPro5,1 (serial and everything relevant has been modified to match). I'll have to test to see if this is not the cause of the issue (mismatches between dsdt.aml patches and MacPro model).

Before I get rid of the dsdt.aml that worked for me for so long, I was wondering if anybody had any similar issues and/or some pointers for me to explore.

MAJ, thanks again for you great script!

Colddiver

Hey Cold I'm right there with you, probably the same DSDT, CruiSAr's from a few years back. Its been working great, but doesn't appear to be too happy with M/L, I could be wrong, but I think DD's script now implements a lot of the same edits that Charles did.

DD out of curiosity does your DSDT patcher allow for native power management? If I recall you are running pretty close to vanilla OSX.

Sidewinder33,

Indeed, I'm still using CruiSar's DSDT. After playing with my setuy a little longer, I can attest that CruiSar's DSDT actually seems to be working OK with Mountain Lion as long as you patch Apple RTC (google for a patch that is specific to ML as the one in Lion won't work and don't forget to rebuild caches after patching) and check "Restart automatically after a power failure" in Energy Saver prefs (otherwise, you will get the CMOS reset). I've been trying to get some overclocking done on the 990x (while also getting native power management) and I didn't get anywhere yet. None of the changes I did resulted in improved Geekbench scores (with the same settings I had for the 920, my GB score is now in the 13000 range with the 990x). Never overclocked a CPU before so I guess I have some learning to do (all I learned now is that I need to have the P-States and C-States generated by Chameleon whenever I overclock so that the ones in the DSDT will be ignored).

Colddiver

DD out of curiosity does your DSDT patcher allow for native power management? If I recall you are running pretty close to vanilla OSX.

No. It still requires a couple mods. One for LPC, IIRC.

I'd like to go add this stuff in someday (heh), so all can have native power management OOB.

MAJ

having some issues with my 10.6.8 install, it wont boot and I get a "No OS Set yet" 'kernel panic' when trying to boot. I've tried reinstalling bootloader (same i've used, i believe, Chameleon v2.0 RC5r691) installed kexts from v6.06 script and DSDT patch and no luck.

I tried to make a 10.8 boot disk with the latest script but with no luck...script hangs in the middle of the process...

I just want my 10.6.8 up and running, it's been at least 2 days with this issue.

Going to need more info.

Are you installing a SleepEnabler.kext? If so, remove it.

At what point does the script hang when creating a boot disk? Boot creation is a very long process.

Did you have a running 10.6.8 install prior to this point?

At what point did you start developing issues? After a update?

kind regards,

MAJ

Going to need more info.

Are you installing a SleepEnabler.kext? If so, remove it.

At what point does the script hang when creating a boot disk? Boot creation is a very long process.

Did you have a running 10.6.8 install prior to this point?

At what point did you start developing issues? After a update?

kind regards,

MAJ

I worked it out, seems like I had to specify pmVersion=0 - I was running 10.6.8 and it started randomly developing these issues, It just refused to boot one day and that's after I started troubleshooting.

As for the script hanging, it would hang using the BASH commands but i tried a 5th time today and it seemed to work perfectly thanks

okay so i've got ML running on my EX58-UD5/GTX260 and everything appears to be working fine but i'm not %100 sure.

I have ALC885_ALC889a.kext and AppleHDA.kext in the folder for system as well as RTC/SMC/IONetworking for Extra.

I've run my DSDT through the patcher in your script, App Store/etc all works. But i'm curious if IONetworking or any of the audio kexts are needed with the DSDT patching.

I've noticed my CPU fan runs a bit higher then normal compared to windows, is this normal? is there any ways to properly test that my DSDT has been properly patched for CPU/video/etc?

iLLNESS,

To my knowledge, there is no way to make the EX58-UD5 onboard network work through the DSDT. If you really do not want to have the extra kext, your only option is to get an Apple USB-to-Ethernet adaptor.

For audio, you can make it work through DSDT. See http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196771 for details.

Edit: corrected the link!

Colddiver