[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Hi There,

Was wondering if anyone was using a SSD in this system and could tell me about the performance... There are only SATA2 connectors on this board (I think, not really sure actually) which could lowerthe performance of an SSD drive. Anyone with experience on this?

I have an SSD attached to the blue SATA ports of the UD5 even at sata2 rates, the performance increase over HDD is striking, make sure you enable TRIM support using the patch detailed on these forums.

Cheers

Jon

Like many others I'm trying to get it to boot into the lion installer off a DVD or jump drive, pretty much anything I can. with no success.

I downloaded your script tool. Formatted my 16gig USB drive with MBR, and Mac OS Extended Journaled.

Started your hackinstaller

chose option 15, had the Lion update from the mac store in the app folder already

hit "yes" to install the Kexts, 1-4)AHCIPortInjector, ElliotForcedLegacyRTC, FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement

hit "no" for EFI String

Tried two times one yes on DSDT, one NO on DSDT, both failed.

copied the hackfile to the drive

Reboot, lock at PCI configuration begin same as every other boot attempt.

In another thread someone said to grab the IOPCIFamilyv2 kext and it will allow me to see what part of the PCI configuration begin is locking it up. I searched for that file, found one, tried it, but didn't get any echo.

The kernel log file is empty on the jump drive.

I've tried dvd images, [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], this tool, nothing will get past PCI configuration begin. I'm pulling my hair out, been stuck for almost a week now.

Anybody have suggestions?

System is a G73JH - RBBX05, Two 2gb memory sticks, 250g sata internal HDD, Radeon 5870m 1gb

I honestly believe it's the video card that's causing the problems.

I have a working 10.6.8 SL install that will only boot using Chamelon 2.0 Rc5 r748 "ATI Experimental"

In another thread someone said to grab the IOPCIFamilyv2 kext and it will allow me to see what part of the PCI configuration begin is locking it up. I searched for that file, found one, tried it, but didn't get any echo.

PCI configuration begin can be corrected two ways.

Changing the first boot video device under bios to match the slot the video card is on.

Or

add the boot flag npci=0x2000

PCI configuration begin can be corrected two ways.

Changing the first boot video device under bios to match the slot the video card is on.

Or

add the boot flag npci=0x2000

This system is a laptop, I can't change the video card options in the bios, and adding that flag does not fix the issue.

Thanks for offering some tips, I appreciate it.

<snip>

The kernel log file is empty on the jump drive.

I've tried dvd images, [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], this tool, nothing will get past PCI configuration begin. I'm pulling my hair out, been stuck for almost a week now.

Anybody have suggestions?

<snip>

Have you tried both the EvilAppleACPIPlatform.kext and EvilIOPCIFamily.kext found in the script's Kexts_10.7/Misc_Patches/_repository/PCI_Configuration_Begin_Hang_Fix?

You mention trying a modified IOPCIFamilyv2.kext, but not the ACPIPlatform.kext.

Let us know.

MAJ

A little bit off-topic, but am using this script and the ga-ex58-ud5 board.

Has anyone had any luck dual booting a windows 8 CP and lion on the same drive (ssd) using the script and ErmaC bootloader? The weird thing is that I have got it to work on a normal HDD, but it seems ssds need to be treated differently or something...

Installed Lion first, made sure that was working (ErmaC bootloader)

Installed Windows afterwards (on another partition on the same ssd)...

Booted into another Lion install (on another drive, a normal HDD) and reinstalled the ErmaC bootloader onto the Lion/Windows SSD, made the lion partition active.

From this point on, the windows option won't show up anymore in Chameleon and I'm unable to mount the windows drive in Lion...

Ideas?

Windows doesn't like having any other partition besides its own marked as active. I don't know how this may effect the Chameleon bootloader's behavior, however. But, I wouldn't be surprised that it's related.

This is what I would do if I have a Windows partition on the same drive as a OS X:

Try to get the Windows partition set active. This is typically done by the Windows installer during installation.

Then, using the script's preferences, have the Bootloader: Always install boot0md/boot0hfs (Prefer bootable HFS+) option enabled.

This installs a special boot0 booter that the Chameleon bootloader can recognize that doesn't need to be set active.

Install this bootloader on both partitions.

(If you already have this option enabled, it may have been rendered moot when you set the Lion partition as active.)

You might go in the install.log first and see what boot0 file was installed for Lion and Windows, before you proceed.

Note that it's recommended that you have the same bootloader installed on both partitions.

best regards,

MAJ

Have you tried both the EvilAppleACPIPlatform.kext and EvilIOPCIFamily.kext found in the script's Kexts_10.7/Misc_Patches/_repository/PCI_Configuration_Begin_Hang_Fix?

You mention trying a modified IOPCIFamilyv2.kext, but not the ACPIPlatform.kext.

Let us know.

MAJ

I am very notice with hackintosh, and mac in general. This is my first dance. I did find a zip online (not from this site) that was called IOPCIFamilyv2.zip, that contained IOPCIFamily.kext If you have a "known" reputable IOPCIFamilyv2 kext i'd gladly try it. I don't know what the ACPIPlatform.kext is, nor the proper way to install either of them, though I would LOVE to try anything at this point. I will google search them in the mean time, but if you have links to reputable versions I'd greatly appreciate it.

I opened up the jump drive that your software made for me and put them in the "extra/extensions" folder. Is that correct? Do i then need to rebuild/repair the drive? If so whats the recommended process?

Your reply, and help is greatly valued. I am 100% at a loss and stuck, so with out the help of this community I am unable to build my hackintosh laptop. I thankyou for your time.

I got it working.

I had to take the EvilAppleACPIPLatform.kext and EvilIOPCIFamily.kext plus PlatformUUID.kext and add all three to the E/E folder of the thumb drive and it booted fine using Digital_Dreamers hackinstaller.

Thanks Digital Dreamer, and everyone else for their suggestions. 2 weeks of non stop reading/researching and question posting. This community is the best, there were other sites I posted on and still to this day don't have a single reply.

I thank everyone that helped me get my hackintosh going.

I am also in the process of making a step by step guide for my version of the G73JH incase there are others that have issues like I did.

• Like 1

Good work, Pchild!

Persistence does pay off and that's how we all learn.

Sorry I hadn't replied to your recent questions.

You shouldn't have to use the PlatformUUID.kext, as the bootloader should create one for you. However, now that one is made, removing it will make your system act like a new install on new hardware - effecting your iTunes account and other software that relies on the platform ID. So, just in case you do decide to remove it later, first deauthorize your iTunes account connected to that install, so you don't lose the number of computers available for authorization.

best of wishes,

MAJ

Good work, Pchild!

Persistence does pay off and that's how we all learn.

Sorry I hadn't replied to your recent questions.

You shouldn't have to use the PlatformUUID.kext, as the bootloader should create one for you. However, now that one is made, removing it will make your system act like a new install on new hardware - effecting your iTunes account and other software that relies on the platform ID. So, just in case you do decide to remove it later, first deauthorize your iTunes account connected to that install, so you don't lose the number of computers available for authorization.

best of wishes,

MAJ

With out the PlatformUUID.kext i was locking up with some intel thermal: error. I don't have the error message anymore, but basically it was yet another start up freeze. Adding it got me to boot, even though it should have created it, it appears my system didn't.

I'm putting some finishing touches on my write up then I'll post the guide and files of how I got everything working in both SL and Lion.

Thanks a lot for your tool and work Digital_Dreamer

I've been trying to install Lion 10.7.2 and can't seem to get the Lion DVD/ISO/ESD to be detected?

So far I have an external harddrive as my boot disk with Snow Leopard 10.6.7. I install SL 1.6.7 on it's own Harddrive following all the steps. Boot back up with the Boot Disk and into the new install of SL. I get in fine, but have no ethernet. From here I've tried running the Hackintosh script on the SL install, but always results in a Kernal Panic.

From the new SL install I try and mount the Lion 10.7.2 but the script won't recognize it.

1. I have the DMG on my desktop.

2. Open it to reveal the "OS X Lion Install Disk"

3. Run script = "No Mac OS X Install DVD/ISO/ESD has been detected."

I have a thumbdrive and another harddisk ready to install, but can't for the life of me get this to recoginze!

I had this same issue with it recognizing 10.6.7 and then somehow it just recognized it. Not sure what changed.

My video card: HD-687X-CNFC Radeon HD 6870 2GB - this card is being recognized in SL as HD N140 with all 2GB

Any thoughts?

I would try to make a bootable USB thumb drive using digital_dreamers guide, and the lion upgrade image from the app store.

Create the USB thumb drive in 10.6.7, install lion 10.7.3 on it, turn off machine, sit for a few seconds off, power up, enter the bios, set the USB stick as the 1st boot priority.

update results.

Pchild, I did just that and it worked. I'm typing this on my shiny new Lion install. Now to look for some minor adjustments - Only my primary monitor is working, no dual.

thanks

I'll be releasing an update soonish, with bug fixes and updates to work with 10.7.4 (sound and networking).

best of wishes,

MAJ

I've been trying to install Lion 10.7.2 and can't seem to get the Lion DVD/ISO/ESD to be detected?

So far I have an external harddrive as my boot disk with Snow Leopard 10.6.7. I install SL 1.6.7 on it's own Harddrive following all the steps. Boot back up with the Boot Disk and into the new install of SL. I get in fine, but have no ethernet. From here I've tried running the Hackintosh script on the SL install, but always results in a Kernal Panic.

From the new SL install I try and mount the Lion 10.7.2 but the script won't recognize it.

1. I have the DMG on my desktop.

2. Open it to reveal the "OS X Lion Install Disk"

3. Run script = "No Mac OS X Install DVD/ISO/ESD has been detected."

I have a thumbdrive and another harddisk ready to install, but can't for the life of me get this to recoginze!

I had this same issue with it recognizing 10.6.7 and then somehow it just recognized it. Not sure what changed.

My video card: HD-687X-CNFC Radeon HD 6870 2GB - this card is being recognized in SL as HD N140 with all 2GB

Any thoughts?

I see you got it installed via boot disk install. I'm just confused by the issues you were experiencing previously. If you have the Install log from those attempts, I'll be glad to look them over to see what actually happened.

10.7.4 just came out. Do I dare update?

You can update safely. Make sure you remove your sleepenabler.kext first, if you have one. I haven't investigated what pmversion # is used to enable it. That would also depend on which sleep enabler is being used, as some won't work with later kernel versions.

It was an odd update. I had internet, but no sound on reboot. On a second reboot, the LAN disappeared. I noticed the IONetworkingFamily.kext has been updated to 2.1 (from 2.0), so I grabbed the 2.1 version from S/L/E and installed the RealtekRTL81xx.kext in PlugIns, then replaced the older version in the script's folder and ran Kext Installer. After a reboot, LAN was back.

As for audio, I grabbed the AppleHDA.kext from the Mountain Lion install and used it to replace the layout885.xml and Platforms.xml files. Installed via Kext Installer, reboot and everything's peachy.

best of wishes,

MAJ

• Like 1

taylorutah,

What was the name of the Lion 10.7.2 DMG once mounted on the desktop? Was it "OS X Lion Install Disk"?

The script will only recognize a mounted disk named, "Mac OS X Install DVD"

Was this a retail version? I may have to make a change to the list of names accepted and be a bit more flexible.

I notice "Mac" is no longer part of the name, as Apple is moving away from it.

I'm confused that the boot disk routine worked, as it uses the same routine in the Retail DVD installer to identify the name. :worried_anim:

MAJ

Hey digital_dreamer, how are you, i see that you keep your fantastic work updated, are you still using your GA-EX58-UD5? I'm still using mine and still love it !

I have a pair of questions, i've been using Snow Leopard installed on an Apple RAID set without any issues. Yesterday i decided to upgrade to Lion, and i found that when installing it on an Apple RAID set, it is not as easy as it was on SL.

I found that the only way to make it boot is by:

1. Using the C) Combo boot, at the Kext Installer Menu

2. Adding the Kernel Flag: UseKernelCache=No

My 1th question is, is this supposed to be the normal way to setup Lion on a RAID set (using the Combo method and adding that Kernel Flag), or there is something else that i'm overlooking.

My second question: I tried doing the next thing:

I created a Pair or partitions on my two HDs, so, HD1 had Partition 1 and 2 and HD2 had Partition 1 and 2. Then i created a RAID set named "Lion" using both partitions Labeled as 1 (from HD1 and HD2), and i created a second RAID set named "Snow" using Partitions labeled as 2 from both HDs.

So i got 2 RAID sets, on the RAID set called Lion i installed Lion, and on the RAID set snow, i installed SL. I found that your script gets mad when trying to install the bootloader or kexts telling me about false mount points. I just have a question, is there any limitation to do what i planned, or it may be possible doing some work.

Thanks for your support.

Antonio

taylorutah,

What was the name of the Lion 10.7.2 DMG once mounted on the desktop? Was it "OS X Lion Install Disk"?

The script will only recognize a mounted disk named, "Mac OS X Install DVD"

Was this a retail version? I may have to make a change to the list of names accepted and be a bit more flexible.

I notice "Mac" is no longer part of the name, as Apple is moving away from it.

I'm confused that the boot disk routine worked, as it uses the same routine in the Retail DVD installer to identify the name. :worried_anim:

MAJ

digital_dreamer,

it was "OS X Lion Install Disk"

Not sure how to produce the Install log, but would be happy to provide it you tell me how/where to find them.

I also needed to use this to get my Ethernet to work: http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/p/realtekrtl81xx-osx-driver.html

Pchild, I did just that and it worked. I'm typing this on my shiny new Lion install. Now to look for some minor adjustments - Only my primary monitor is working, no dual.

thanks

Glad it worked for you, digital_dreamer's hackinstaller is awesome.

Hey digital_dreamer, how are you, i see that you keep your fantastic work updated, are you still using your GA-EX58-UD5? I'm still using mine and still love it ! I have a pair of questions, i've been using Snow Leopard installed on an Apple RAID set without any issues. Yesterday i decided to upgrade to Lion, and i found that when installing it on an Apple RAID set, it is not as easy as it was on SL. I found that the only way to make it boot is by: 1. Using the C) Combo boot, at the Kext Installer Menu 2. Adding the Kernel Flag: UseKernelCache=No My 1th question is, is this supposed to be the normal way to setup Lion on a RAID set (using the Combo method and adding that Kernel Flag), or there is something else that i'm overlooking. My second question: I tried doing the next thing: I created a Pair or partitions on my two HDs, so, HD1 had Partition 1 and 2 and HD2 had Partition 1 and 2. Then i created a RAID set named "Lion" using both partitions Labeled as 1 (from HD1 and HD2), and i created a second RAID set named "Snow" using Partitions labeled as 2 from both HDs. So i got 2 RAID sets, on the RAID set called Lion i installed Lion, and on the RAID set snow, i installed SL. I found that your script gets mad when trying to install the bootloader or kexts telling me about false mount points. I just have a question, is there any limitation to do what i planned, or it may be possible doing some work. Thanks for your support. Antonio

Hey, antovasa,

Good to hear from you.

What version of the script are you using and what version of the bootloader?

Older versions of the bootloader did require the combo cache to work in RAID, but not anymore.

As for the false mount points errors - well, there may be a issue with having two RAID setups. But, I'm sure the script is able to discern the difference between the two. I've had to rework the mounting/unmounting of the partitions multiple times to get it to behave properly. The older scripts were problematic.

If you PM me your Install log of your attempts, I can try to see if there's anything I can do with it.

The problem with RAID installs is that as soon as you attempt to change/install kexts in S/L/E, the OS will update the boot caches on each RAID helper partition. So, the script has to wait and monitor for this activity and only proceed when it's sure the OS not going to bother with a update or is finished with the update. Having the script working on a partition when the OS wants to work on the other partition that has the exact same name is a disaster. Pretty tricky to work around. I believe I got that ironed out in the latest releases.

As a possible workaround, see if renaming your RAID helper partitions with different names improves anything.

digital_dreamer, it was "OS X Lion Install Disk" Not sure how to produce the Install log, but would be happy to provide it you tell me how/where to find them. I also needed to use this to get my Ethernet to work: http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/p/realtekrtl81xx-osx-driver.html

That's an unusual install disk name, as it includes the "Lion" name. Is it a Retail version from Apple and pretty recent?

I would assume it to be recent, as it doesn't have the "Mac" name in it.

Going to have to make sure my installer routine can recognize it.

regards,

MAJ

Hey, antovasa,

Good to hear from you.

What version of the script are you using and what version of the bootloader?

Older versions of the bootloader did require the combo cache to work in RAID, but not anymore.

regards,

MAJ

Hi digital_dreamer:

I'm Using v6.55 and the default chameleon bootloader included with your release. The USB bootdisk work for doing setup, but it is not able to load Lion after the install, but i found something interesting: Using a rBoot disc, i boot and try to boot each one of the helper partitions and the rboot disk (isee a message like can'f find match kernel) then i try with the USB bootdisk, and instead of loading the installer, it loads the clean installed Lion.

I did some tests (did a clean reinstall about 10-12 times) here what i found:

1. After a clean 10.7.4 setup, i open a clean hackinstaller.zip, install bootloader without problems, install kexts using the A)Standard Boot

2. Restart and i find that there is a panic before load starts, it talks about the ACPI and no kexts loading.

3. I execute the script again and change the Helper Partitions names then reinstall kexts using A)Standard Boot

4. After restart there is no panic, but the loading stops loading without error, but i notice that the FakeSMC loading messages are nowhere, like if that kext is not loading.

5. I run script again and set FakeSMC.kext to install on /system instead of extra using A)Standard Boot

6. The computer now loads without problem, by installing FakeSMC.kext on /system, BUT i notice that all HDs show as external

7. I install IOAHCIBLOCKStorageInjector.kext on /system too, using A)Stardard boot

At this point, everything seems working fine, but i have two questions:

1. Isn't supposed that FakeSMC.kext should work on extra, what is the difference between running it on Extra and doing it on System

2. What is the disadvantage of my setup at this point.

I'm not sure, but i think that FakeSMC.kext is not getting correctly installed by the script.

P.S. I will send you a PM with the kernel.log and the scripts logs.

Thanks

Digital_Dreamer do you have any experience with getting bootloaders to boot with SLI Nvidia configurations? I have a M18X laptop with dual GTX 580m graphics cards, which can't be disabled int he bios, so it's freezing after detecting two.

I'm trying to install Lion using your hackinstaller to create a usb jump drive.

The boot menu appears, I click the USB device to install, and only a few lines of code appear Basically in the first 5-10 lines it detects my graphics cards and the boot loader locks up.

Pchild,

There are dual GPU laptops out there? I'm really out of touch. :P

Are you using EFI strings? Not sure the bootloader will recognize a 580m. I'd have to look.

SLI setups will be ignored by OS X, with only the primary GPU being used.

Edit: Okay, I see two "GeForce GTX 580" listed in the source, but they aren't mobile. Do you know what Device ID they have?

One listed is: 0x10DE 1089

The other is: 0x10DE 1080

But, I think the 580m is 0x10DE 1211, so no bootloader support for it.

Have you tried booting into it with GraphicsEnabler turned off (No)?

MAJ

Edit:

This fellow has a (single) 580m based laptop, too.

antovasa,

Yes, clearly your RAID system is not loading any kexts from /Extra.

And, if you used Combo boot, everything works okay, then?

Is this a standard HD or SSD?

And, yeah, I'll be waiting for the logs.

MAJ

digital_dreamer:

I just sent you the logs in 3 different private messages. This is an Apple Software Raid using two standard HDD. I'm able to boot the system without issues using A)Standard Boot option from the kext install menu, but only by installing fakeSMC.kext in /system, if i install it in /extra, the boot process stops at the point shown on the log that i sent you. Also, when i put FakeSMC.kext on /extra, i also need to put IOAHCIBLOCKStorageInjector.kext in /system too because if i don't do that the HDDs appear as external drives.

Is it supposed that the BOOT USB Drive created with your script is able to boot the Lion after installation or not? I can't boot Lion after setup using your USB Boot Disk, i have to do a tricky method using both rBoot (from tonyMac86) and the usb boot drive created with your script.

Thanks for your time and support.

Edit:

I did a little bit of testing again, and i found something interesting, when doing the A)Standard Boot kext, everything seems fine (fakesmc.kext being installed in /extra), but after that if i go the 4) Update Boot Cache, then use option d) Display current boot cache, i found that the fakesmc.kext is not there with the other kexts. I think that i'm doing everything ok. While you find something else. The Combo method works if i use -f or UseKernelCache=No.

Finally, at the frontpage you say that you updated FakeSMC to 4.2.0, but the version included in the latest script says 3.1.0.