[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Can i use the retail DVD ? Do i have to use EFI boat loader, to boot the DVD ? I dont have any other OSX, only Windows 7.

Thanks

yes you can use the retail DVD and you need another OS X (try using a virtual OS X or use another solution)

sorry but if you start without any terminal knowledge you probably won't make it.

Here is the tip: administrator is simply your user login and password is YOUR password

the script outputs that the username is not in the sudoers file, is all.

oh figured it out i have to be on the administrator account for it to run

Edited by ssuuki9

You need another OS X because the script released by DD (see first post) runs only on a mac.

But you should forget it: The script is very good but you need some knowledge to create a perfect PC/OSX system.

You should read the first post and analyze it if you want to success

solved it many cups of coffee later

used the usb stick option, with 8 kexts, graphics enabler=no (for the install and first boot of partition), and three boot flags for this lappy (-v, -arch=i386, -cpus=1) and have now got to the osx installation screen where the first step is to pick the language. right after that i get an error dialog with the message, "There was a problem reading the Mac OSX installation disk. Carefully clean the disk, and then try re-installing." this doesn't happen on the i-mac so its not a bad retail DVD.

-the last three lines of the installer log:

Opening OSInstall package '/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg'.

PFPackage::packageWithURL - can't instantiate package: /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

Couldn't verify Mac OS X (Server) Install media.

- needed to d/l and replace OSInstall and OSInstall.mpkg on the usb key with a patched version [ver.10D575 (10.6.3) by deviato] for MBR installs, found on this forum. was easy to do once i figured out then the error dialog does not appear, and can partition guid with hfs+ partitions, hackinstaller did the rest, great design, it was easy with this installer

so it works on this notebook so far..guid partition booted with chameleon. great job DD! much thanks to get this working!

Edited by ssuuki9

tsunoo - i used the usb stick option, with the 8 kexts i need, and three boot flags for this lappy (-v, -arch=i386, -cpus=1) and have now got to the osx installation screen with trackpad working where the first step is to pick the language. right after that i get an error dialog with the message, "There was a problem reading the Mac OSX installation disk. Carefully clean the disk, and then try re-installing." this dosn't happen on the i-mac so its not a bad retail DVD.

the last three lines of the installer log:

sorry I can't help :-/

I only found this https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2160655?start=0&tstart=0

• 2 weeks later...

When I run the script, mount my 10.7.0 retail image, and start the installer, select my disk, select a Retail DVD Installer, then select the disk again within the OS X Installer.

It starts installing Mac OS X to my disk, then fails within a few minutes. The error is:

"Mac OS X could not be installed on your computer. The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."

Any ideas why this happens? I used the old 10.6 script several times in the past without issues =/

When I run the script, mount my 10.7.0 retail image, and start the installer, select my disk, select a Retail DVD Installer, then select the disk again within the OS X Installer.

It starts installing Mac OS X to my disk, then fails within a few minutes. The error is:

"Mac OS X could not be installed on your computer. The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."

Any ideas why this happens? I used the old 10.6 script several times in the past without issues =/

Try to install it with the minimal stuff (without printers for example)

I hope someone can help me here.. I've been trying to get a RAID array to boot, but no matter what method or boot loader I use, I keep getting "can't find /mach_kernel". I'm using a working non-raid install that I've been cloning over to my ssd raid each time I try a new method. I've tried using this script, as well as manually copying the boot loader files to the helper partitions, for both chameleon and chimera. I've tried searching but nothing comes up (maybe my google fu is weak). Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

I have some audio problems again with my setup, and I am just wondering if anyone has a foolproof audio fix for the GA-EX58-UD5. I can modify DSDT and change any files, but I'm looking for a solution with minimal changes to the file system.

My issue is popping and stuttering while using a modified DSDT and AppleHDA.kext

Can anyone lend me a hand?

I have some audio problems again with my setup, and I am just wondering if anyone has a foolproof audio fix for the GA-EX58-UD5. I can modify DSDT and change any files, but I'm looking for a solution with minimal changes to the file system.

My issue is popping and stuttering while using a modified DSDT and AppleHDA.kext

Can anyone lend me a hand?

I have the same problem since 3 years... and absolutely no solution (using a spdif cable)

I tried few weeks ago to install Snow Leopard but for some reason i couldn't and i guess because of my videocard.

Anyway, i gave up. Now i wanna ask you if i should try again, with Lion OSX.

Do you think i will have the same problem ?

Thanks.

I tried with OSX Lion, but the same story. I dont know how could i fix this.

Everytime when i try to install SL, after the option "Press -v" or F8, all i see is the grey apple for about 1-2 seconds, and then rebooting ...

Please explain how to use GraphicsEnabler=Yes as the bootloader flag in the boot.Do i have to modify the bootable DVD files ? I'm pretty sure there is something about my GTX 285 graphic card.

Could someone explain, please, how to fix this problem ? I dont want to upgrade / change my graphic card.

Thanks in advance.

Mountain Lion Developer Preview 3 is out

Yes, it is. Thanks for the heads up and bump.

SCRIPT UPDATE:

UPDATE: 4/21/12 - version 6.55

• Added support for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.
    • Added updated IONetworkingFamily.kext v3.0 for networking.
    • Added ALC885_889a.kext, HDAEnabler.kext, and modified AppleHDA.kext for sound. These need to be installed into /System (S/L/E) to function.
    • Updated Chameleon v2.1svn bootloader to r1924. Do not update this bootloader, unless you know it has Mountain Lion support!
    • NOTE: Not all portions of the script is guaranteed to work in Mountain Lion. I'm currently working on this issue. Some BASH commands have changed behavior in regards to text/string handling and any previous 32-bit routines in Applescript have had to be modified to work in 64-bit only, as there is no 32-bit support at all. Right now, all major routines work, but there may be some subtle issues behind the scenes yet to surface.

[*] Revamped the Chimera bootloader update section. Should work if you have login access at the tonymacx86.com download page.

[*] Added FakeSMC.kext 4.2.0 with supporting plugins and a handy menu application "HWMonitor" for monitoring hardware stats (if you're not using iStat Menus 3).

[*] Changed a portion of Boot Disk creator routine to prevent "GraphicsEnabler" flag from being overwritten as "Yes." This routine will now always disable the "GraphicsEnabler" flag to prevent any failed boots on the OS X Installer due to lack of graphics support.

Known issues:

Everything appears to be working great in Mountain Lion. The only known issues are the following:

• In Mountain Lion DP3, wake from sleep causes some unusual behavior: System Preferences do not load and my non-Apple keyboard wasn't recognized, to name a few things. However, keep in mind that I have native power management working on this system. YMMV.
  • Booting on AppleRAID in Mountain Lion works, but only when you create a "Combo" boot cache and you boot ignoring the caches. Yeah, figure that one out. Any other combination created the familiar Unable to find driver for this platform and can't perform kext scan: no kext summary log.

best of wishes everyone,

MAJ

Yes, it is. Thanks for the heads up and bump.

SCRIPT UPDATE:

UPDATE: 4/21/12 - version 6.55

best of wishes everyone,

MAJ

you're alive !! nice to hear from you

Tsunoo

Hi There,

Was wondering if anyone was using a SSD in this system and could tell me about the performance... There are only SATA2 connectors on this board (I think, not really sure actually) which could lowerthe performance of an SSD drive. Anyone with experience on this?

I tried with OSX Lion, but the same story. I dont know how could i fix this.

Everytime when i try to install SL, after the option "Press -v" or F8, all i see is the grey apple for about 1-2 seconds, and then rebooting ...

Please explain how to use GraphicsEnabler=Yes as the bootloader flag in the boot.Do i have to modify the bootable DVD files ? I'm pretty sure there is something about my GTX 285 graphic card.

Could someone explain, please, how to fix this problem ? I dont want to upgrade / change my graphic card.

Thanks in advance.

Nobody can help me with some advices ?

Nobody can help me with some advices ?

Hey, lemarqq,

With the -v option, you should be getting a verbose log. You shouldn't be seeing a grey Apple, so I'm inclined to think that the -v option is not getting through. Are you certain you are booting from the correct drive? If the boot drive is not the first drive listed in the BIOS booting order, you'll need to select it in the BIOS drive selector (F12).

Additionally, if your system is rebooting during the boot process, that wouldn't be caused by your graphics card, even if the system is "improperly" set up for the GPU. Booting within 1-2 seconds indicates to me a kernel issue or faulty kernel flags in the boot plist. This would include a corrupted EFI string for the card.

Graphics card issues are typically evidenced by seeing entire boot log scroll by and, then, either a blank screen or a screen that continues to just show the boot log.

So, either you are booting the incorrect boot drive or the boot drive has faulty boot plist. That's where I would look first.

Hope you find it. :)

best regards,

MAJ

Thanks you, Digital_Dreamer

I´m 100 percent sure the first boot device is the CD / DVD

Please excuse me but i didnt understand what do you mean with this :

¨ either you are booting the incorrect drive or the boot drive has faulty boot plist¨¨

What is that mean ¨faulty boot plist¨ ? How could i repair it ?

Please help me.

Thank you very very much.

Please help me.

don't repair it! just delete it and create a new one (with the same values... or not)

Thanks you, Digital_Dreamer

I´m 100 percent sure the first boot device is the CD / DVD

Please excuse me but i didnt understand what do you mean with this :

¨ either you are booting the incorrect drive or the boot drive has faulty boot plist¨¨

Please help me.

Can you post your boot plist for us to see? Use the "Code" tags.

MAJ

EDIT:

lemarqq,

Another possibility is that you may have a faulty DSDT file. Don't know how that would happen without actually attempting to edit it manually.

At any rate, it's clear something very early in the boot process is faulty or broken.

You can also post your recent install.log from the script. Make sure it contains your install attempts, especially the bootloader and kext installer routines.

A little bit off-topic, but am using this script and the ga-ex58-ud5 board.

Has anyone had any luck dual booting a windows 8 CP and lion on the same drive (ssd) using the script and ErmaC bootloader? The weird thing is that I have got it to work on a normal HDD, but it seems ssds need to be treated differently or something...

Installed Lion first, made sure that was working (ErmaC bootloader)

Installed Windows afterwards (on another partition on the same ssd)...

Booted into another Lion install (on another drive, a normal HDD) and reinstalled the ErmaC bootloader onto the Lion/Windows SSD, made the lion partition active.

From this point on, the windows option won't show up anymore in Chameleon and I'm unable to mount the windows drive in Lion...

Ideas?