[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

My Cmos does not reset, I just get a kernel panic after sleep. What exactly is the USB Fix the author is referring to? USBlegacy off?

it took me 1 minute to find this

Chameleon USB FIX in com.apple.boot.plist:

<key>EHCIacquire</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>UHCIreset</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>USBBusFix</key>

<string>Yes</string>

I recently updated my boot loader and a few kexts with hackinstaller v6.52 after letting my system sit unaltered for many months. Timed sleep no longer works, so I was trying to revert things back to track down the problem. I tried to open up the old hackinstaller (v4.5) and I get this message:

This system contains over nine drives and/or partitions!

This script does not support this many devices and will exhibit unpredictable

behavior. For best results. please remove unneccessary storage devices to stay

under the limit.

This concerns me a bit because I only have 2 drives mounted, my boot drive and a media drive. Should I be concerned by this at all or is this just a result of backwards incompatibility with the older versions of the hackinstaller?

Ryan!

Not sure why everyone struggles in this thread with an ex58-ud5 and Lion!

Attached is Crusair's highly tweaked dsdt (kudos) modified to Dood's 'audio option A' (kudos also!!)

In Digital Dreamers (more kudos) script you need to browse into the 10.7 kexts folder and move all the stuff into the repository. You do not need anything extra installed for audio.

Run the next install part of the script etc as described. You'll need to restore the original apple kexts if you've done any modifying.

Anyway this dsst will give you analogue stereo out the ud5's green line out jack. 5.1 on the spdif. headphone port, line-in.

Sorted smile.gifCruisar_audio_A_working_dsdt.aml.zip

I'm wondering if some of my fellow ex58-ud5 owners could share their graphics card experiances?

I had a gtx285 which worked worked real good with sleep/wake etc. BUT it had to go because I cannot live with it being slower than a 4870 because of rubbish osx drivers.

I now have a 5870 that I bought earlier this month. Performance is good - double the 285 in Lion. However it has the hdcp issue like a lot of mac users running a 5870 where sometimes the screen is blank/snow after booting. I can only get DVI output to work, no hdmi, no multi display, no display port. Rather annoying.

So can anybody recommend something? A gtx570 sounds nice but how does it fare with lions drivers? What about a ati 6970?

thanks,

Are you getting the PCI Root error message at boot time. I've got a Nvidia 460 in my hackintosh that has never worked properly without setting the PCI Root ID to 1 via

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

in the boot.plist

I have two questions of my own which may or may not be related, but the first certainly makes the second much more difficult.

I have a clean vanilla install of lion on a UD5 using DD's excellent guide. It has a Palit GeForce 460 GTX and it's working fine, both monitors are seen with a full range of resolutions, 3d was smooth as silk in the bio-shock. But I am getting these glitches where standard OSX interface elements like the three (red/yellow/green) dots in the upper left hand corner and window border elements are replaced with placeholders of some kind.

I'm trying to show/attack some sort of a picture, but the board software is not cooperating.

When I check the console logs, I'm seeing a constantly streaming list of errors saying basically "coreUI invalid artfile path". FWIW, there seems to be the same files/set up in the coreUI files/folders in the System/library/privateFrameworks/ on my MBP running 10.7.2.

The second is that the networking is not working. It's defaulting to a 169.xxx.yyy.zzz IP address, which leads me to believe that it is not talking to the DHCP server in my router. I've tried setting it to a 192.168.1.xxx, but that doesn't seem to help. The placeholders are not making it easy to change things since they cover up a lot of what's in the dialog boxes and don't help with figuring out what's greyed out or not. The diagnostics are showing that the ethernet is working and the ISP light is green as well. The lights turn red when it gets to the internet and server

Any suggestions or at least a plan of attack?

FWIW, I have a 10.6.5 installation on another drive that has everything (graphics/monitors/networking/sound)working fine.

I've noticed a few bugs with my 10.7.2 install.

The most important one to me is that I am occasionally getting graphics corruption (Screen will suddenly change to blocks of random rainbow colours on both my primary and secondary monitor) the only way I know to get proper visuals back is to press the restart button on my computer.

The next one is that after waking up from sleep my computer will auto restart. I used the AppleRTC from 10.7.7 (I never updated to 10.7.8 but maybe the one from that will fix it). I haven't really investigated much into this issue.

The third issue (which is perhaps related to the cause of my other issues is that I'm not getting verbose by default when I boot even though the -v code is in my boot.plist on both raid partitions and I also tried copying to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. It's not really a major issue but it makes me wonder if any of my other strings are being loaded (although it is booting using timeout rather than me having to manually select the boot drive).

I'm using a HIS ATI 4890 and x2 Raid 0 Caviar black HD. Running dsdt from CruiSAr and I've tried with ATY_Init and without (using GraphicsEnabler=Yes in boot.plist)

The most important one to me is that I am occasionally getting graphics corruption (Screen will suddenly change to blocks of random rainbow colours on both my primary and secondary monitor) the only way I know to get proper visuals back is to press the restart button on my computer.

This kind of glitch usually tends to indicate that something is wrong with your graphics card. Typically as a result of over heating. You might want to check to make sure the fan is working properly and temps aren't too high in your case.

The third issue (which is perhaps related to the cause of my other issues is that I'm not getting verbose by default when I boot even though the -v code is in my boot.plist on both raid partitions and I also tried copying to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. It's not really a major issue but it makes me wonder if any of my other strings are being loaded (although it is booting using timeout rather than me having to manually select the boot drive).

Something is definitely wrong with your system. I would back up all of your data and re-do things from the bootloader and probably up to the kexts.

I'm using a HIS ATI 4890 and x2 Raid 0 Caviar black HD. Running dsdt from CruiSAr and I've tried with ATY_Init and without (using GraphicsEnabler=Yes in boot.plist)

RAID 0 is A VERY, VERY, VERY BAD IDEA!!!!!

You should ONLY use RAID 0 for data do you NOT care about AT ALL. You are simply asking for trouble, because if you get a hickup with either drive you will most likely loose ALL of the data on BOTH drives.

DO NOT USE RAID 0.

This kind of glitch usually tends to indicate that something is wrong with your graphics card. Typically as a result of over heating. You might want to check to make sure the fan is working properly and temps aren't too high in your case. Something is definitely wrong with your system. I would back up all of your data and re-do things from the bootloader and probably up to the kexts. RAID 0 is A VERY, VERY, VERY BAD IDEA!!!!! You should ONLY use RAID 0 for data do you NOT care about AT ALL. You are simply asking for trouble, because if you get a hickup with either drive you will most likely loose ALL of the data on BOTH drives. DO NOT USE RAID 0.

Been running a RAID 0 setup just fine since 10.5.3 but I haven't been doing it blindly. I have a non-RAID HD that is bootable in case anything goes wrong and on a separate partition on that HD I run Time Machine backup (because data isn't safe for anyone unless they backup). So in the unlikely event that one of the drives has a mechanical failure I will still have access to all my data.

Had a look at my GPU fan and it's still running. Will do some more experimenting over the weekend. I may consider getting a cheap 32GB SSD purely for the OS install if I need to and move my pictures, music and movies folders to my RAID. I find it hard to justify the cost of SSDs on a SATA2 interface.

Been running a RAID 0 setup just fine since 10.5.3 but I haven't been doing it blindly. I have a non-RAID HD that is bootable in case anything goes wrong and on a separate partition on that HD I run Time Machine backup (because data isn't safe for anyone unless they backup). So in the unlikely event that one of the drives has a mechanical failure I will still have access to all my data.

Well I'm glad to hear you are not doing it without taking precautions, it's just that I've not found WD drives to be all that reliable. So why are you you using raid 0? Frankly the performance increase you get out of using it has never struck me as being worth the time and hassle of rebuilding things if one of them dies.

Had a look at my GPU fan and it's still running. Will do some more experimenting over the weekend. I may consider getting a cheap 32GB SSD purely for the OS install if I need to and move my pictures, music and movies folders to my RAID. I find it hard to justify the cost of SSDs on a SATA2 interface.

Well what you get with an SSD isn't simply a matter of throughput. You have essentially zero seek time, since there are no mechanical heads that have to wait for the disk to rotate into position. As a result they cream regular HDs for any sort of heavily randomized access or where lots of small files need to be loaded (Operating systems do tend to be one of them). You can quite literally get the performance of thousands of dollars of HD and expensive raid cards out of a single ssd.

I know the seek time is a huge benefit but it still doesn't feel like it would be worth $100 to me right now for an SSD when I'm only going to get 250MB/sec read/write on my Sata2 instead of something more like 500MB/sec. My caviar black software RAID 0 runs at 160MB/sec and I've never had a bad experience with WD HDs.

Just to update on my graphics card issue. I ended up fixing the problem simply by cleaning the dust out of my computer. It was covered in a film of dust but now it's clean I haven't had a problem since. I've added the provided AppleRTC kext from the most recent script but haven't tested out my sleep yet.

I couldn't install Snow Leopard on my PC, some time ago, and i think it was something about my graphic card.Anyway.

Now i want to ask you, if i try to install Lion OSX, it is possible to have a chance ?

Thanks.

Well the Nvidia 400 and I believe 500 series are supported natively under 10.7 (lion), but I'm not sure about the 200 series. I believe Nvidia uses a unified driver architecture, so it's worth a try certainly.

Two things.

You will probably need to set the PciRoot=1, at least I have needed to do so to get my 460 to work.

Second you will also need to set the boot flag "npci=0x2000".

In other news I have my hackintosh fully up and running under 10.7! Just redid things from scratch and it worked this time around. Might have been something to do with having installed plain 10.7 and then updated to 10.7.2 which went without a hitch and even installing Lion Server went without an issue! Thanks again DD for all your hard work on this over the years.

Finally I think I may have FINALLY after about 3 years of trying gotten my Areca Raid card to work! Looks like it just didn't like the slot I was putting it in. I will have to swap positions with the graphics card probably (they're a bit close), but at last I should be able to use the mound of WD raptors I've just had sitting around!

Got the RAID (8 x Raptors, might toss in 2 more) formatting now!

One question if anyone can answer this. According to the MB manual for the GA-X58A-UD5, it should have x2 SATA III ports (6&7), but nothing seems to show up under sata devices. Now the MB is a 1.0, but the manual for both the 1.0 and rev 2 both say they should have them, which does seem fishy given the age of the MB. Is the manual in error?

I recently updated my boot loader and a few kexts with hackinstaller v6.52 after letting my system sit unaltered for many months. Timed sleep no longer works, so I was trying to revert things back to track down the problem. I tried to open up the old hackinstaller (v4.5) and I get this message:

This system contains over nine drives and/or partitions!

This script does not support this many devices and will exhibit unpredictable

behavior. For best results. please remove unneccessary storage devices to stay

under the limit.

This concerns me a bit because I only have 2 drives mounted, my boot drive and a media drive. Should I be concerned by this at all or is this just a result of backwards incompatibility with the older versions of the hackinstaller?

Ryan!

Sorry for this late response.

When the script notices double digits in the drive ID or partition ID, it will halt operation, as it doesn't parse double digits IDs.

Can you print the output of the following command?: diskutil list

This info should help us see what's up.

I used to get this on my failing ATI 4870 X2, which I replaced with a ATI 5770. This is a GPU hardware issue - likely the video RAM is failing.

The next one is that after waking up from sleep my computer will auto restart. I used the AppleRTC from 10.7.7 (I never updated to 10.7.8 but maybe the one from that will fix it). I haven't really investigated much into this issue.

I'm jealous, as you must have a special version of Time Machine to be using 10.7.7. :P

It's been quite a while since I've used SL, so don't remember what is needed here to prevent the restarts after wake from sleep.

There is a included AppleRTC.kext in the script's 10.6's Misc_Patches repository. Have you tried it?

My guess here is that you're booting from the BIOS on a different non-RAID drive, then you're selecting the RAID drive from there. This may explain why the flag is ignored. To boot a RAID setup properly, you need to use the BIOS drive selector (F12) at boot time (before the chameleon screen appears) and select the RAID drive from there. This will let the BIOS load the boot plist from the RAID drive selected. Then, you select the RAID drive (again) in the Chameleon bootloader screen.

Hope that helps.

kind regards,

MAJ

<snip>

And Maj, great work on your script. It's much more complex than when we first started! It's helped me out on quite a few occasions!

Thanks in advance,

Wolfie

Hey! Talk about a blast from the past! Good times!

Actually, you're the one that got me started on scripting. I love writing code and when you wrote that one of yours, I thought, "Hey, maybe I can do this. It'd be fun and I'll learn along the way." And, the rest is history.

Yeah, the script is much more complicated! LOL. I never envisioned it would get this far.

With well over 10,000 lines of BASH, with a little SED, AWK, and even Perl sprinkled around, it's kind of silly when you think about it. Who writes that much BASH? This should be done in C with a UI. But, I'm too old to try something new here.

Lately, I've trying my hand with C on ARM Cortex M-3 microcontrollers with the Eclipse IDE. Will be picking up a ARM Cortex M-4 based board from STMicroelectronics to start with.

kind regards,

MAJ

• Like 1

Sorry for this late response.

When the script notices double digits in the drive ID or partition ID, it will halt operation, as it doesn't parse double digits IDs.

Can you print the output of the following command?: diskutil list

This info should help us see what's up.

Here you go. Raptor is my boot disk, Extradrive is my media disk, and MiniDrive is a little portable drive that I use for test booting. Things got a little more common because that error only pops up sometimes, and it happens with both the old and the new version of the hackinstaller. I haven't been able to pin down what the error has been tied to.

Hackintosh:~ ryansimms$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *300.1 GB disk0

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Raptor 299.7 GB disk0s2

/dev/disk1

0: GUID_partition_scheme *320.1 GB disk1

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS ExtraDrive 319.7 GB disk1s2

/dev/disk3

0: GUID_partition_scheme *120.0 GB disk3

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk3s1

2: Apple_HFS MiniDrive 119.7 GB disk3s2

thanks,

Ryan!

I used to get this on my failing ATI 4870 X2, which I replaced with a ATI 5770. This is a GPU hardware issue - likely the video RAM is failing.

I actually got it fully functioning again by cleaning the dust off the card. However I recently acquired 3x GV-R4890OC. I'm still trying to figure out if I should use all 3 or stick with 2 or keep my HIS 4890 and use it with the other new cards. Due to the way the coolers are designed on the new cards and the close proximity on the motherboard they get quite hot compared to normal but with the HIS card I think it would be cooler although it's a cheaper card. Also maybe my HIS card might break in future considering I was getting that problem before. So far I've tested 2x GV-R4890OC and got them to work using GraphicsEnabler=No. They seem to work just fine although League of Legends doesn't want to load anymore. Something to do with the way the graphics is being injected from what I've read. Haven't really had much time to test thoroughly yet.

I'm jealous, as you must have a special version of Time Machine to be using 10.7.7. :P

It's been quite a while since I've used SL, so don't remember what is needed here to prevent the restarts after wake from sleep.

There is a included AppleRTC.kext in the script's 10.6's Misc_Patches repository. Have you tried it?

I am actually using Lion now :P. I've tried out the included AppleRTC.kext included with the script and so far my computer is just restarting when I wake from sleep. I haven't yet tried it with my non-RAID setup.

My guess here is that you're booting from the BIOS on a different non-RAID drive, then you're selecting the RAID drive from there. This may explain why the flag is ignored. To boot a RAID setup properly, you need to use the BIOS drive selector (F12) at boot time (before the chameleon screen appears) and select the RAID drive from there. This will let the BIOS load the boot plist from the RAID drive selected. Then, you select the RAID drive (again) in the Chameleon bootloader screen.

Hope that helps.

I think it might of actually been an issue with the version of chimera and RAID setups. I noticed some fix in the recent change log of chimera about plist no longer being ignored in RAID setups. Will report back when I get a chance to test properly.

I have an ex58-ud5 with 6GB ram i7 920 with a ATI 4890.

i have snow leopard running great on it. (320GB drive)

i even have lion running on it. (80 GB drive)

the problem started not to long ago.

i wanted to do a fresh install of lion 10.7.2 on a separate drive, bigger drive.

but the installer always stops at the same point

sound assertion failed in appleHDADriver at line 993 goto exit

a few lines above it reads "failed to set c-state"

attached is a picture.

What i dont understand is how this same system has worked to install lion before but now it wont install.

i have tried to reset the bios, unplugged all but one hard drive, tonymac's [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], this tutorial of course, 10.7 Gm , and 10.7.2

the directions i followed were:

1 mount lion dvd/iso (app store download)

2. run hackinstaller

3 select 15 make boot disk

4. select 1 "boot disk"

5. select flash drive

6. "yes" to install the kexts (everything left default)

7. "n" to efi strings

8."yes" to DSDT file

9. then "yes" to make the disk

thank you for any suggestions about this install.

photo-1.JPG

Is it only me or does anybody else experience that the USB installation ( Lion ) halts when its about 14 minutes left on the progress bar?

My computer instantly just powers off! =)

I have use this script for 3 other computers over the past 1.5 years. but first time i try to make an USB install.. and its halts in the installation progress.

What i dont understand is how this same system has worked to install lion before but now it wont install.

The only things I can think of suggesting are to use "GraphicsEnabler=No" manually when you try to boot and also select your USB as the boot drive from within the bios rather than letting your system run your already installed boot loader.

Is it only me or does anybody else experience that the USB installation ( Lion ) halts when its about 14 minutes left on the progress bar?

My computer instantly just powers off! =)

Not really sure what is going on here. I haven't experienced this issue at all and haven't heard of anyone else experiencing it either.

Hi all, an happy new year.

I am facing a problem with my EX58-UD5 running 10.6.8

I need to write on a NTFS disk, so I tried the trial version of Paragon NTFS for Mac (v9.5)

But it completely stuck my system... The system boots but the Finder never appears: I end up with a blue screen, a mouse pointer and that's all... (no icon, no menubar, no dock, nothing)

The only way to fix the problem and restore my machine in a working state is to start with no extensions (chameleon -x option) and uninstall Paragon NTFS.

Is there a way to get this NTFS driver to work ? Or maybe is there another (and working) solution to write NTFS drives from my hackintosh.

Thanks

Tuxera NTFS works pretty good. Haven't tried Paragon but I'm surprised it's giving you that much trouble. Is it an older version?

I will give Tuxera a try.

An no, it was not an old version but the latest 9.5 version from Paragon NTFS

Here you go. Raptor is my boot disk, Extradrive is my media disk, and MiniDrive is a little portable drive that I use for test booting. Things got a little more common because that error only pops up sometimes, and it happens with both the old and the new version of the hackinstaller. I haven't been able to pin down what the error has been tied to.

<output of diskutil command>

thanks,

Ryan!

Oh, man. So sorry for not responding any sooner. I've been away forever. :worried_anim:

I don't see any issues with the above output, but if you run into this issue again, PM me with your Install.log and I'll see the same info and see what's up.

The only things I can think of suggesting are to use "GraphicsEnabler=No" manually when you try to boot and also select your USB as the boot drive from within the bios rather than letting your system run your already installed boot loader.

Yes, that's what I would recommend, too, as it really looks like a graphics issue. The secret here is to get it to boot just in VESA mode, without any graphics acceleration. If I'm not mistaken, I did try to remove all the "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" flags from the boot plists for boot disk making just for this reason.

Hi all, an happy new year.

I am facing a problem with my EX58-UD5 running 10.6.8

I need to write on a NTFS disk, so I tried the trial version of Paragon NTFS for Mac (v9.5)

<snip>

Odd. I'm still using 9.0.1 of Paragon NTFS in Lion with no issues.

Now, I'm afraid of updating.

MAJ

Grrrr. I hate this comment window resizing jazz...Very clunky and annoying.

Update:

I see that Chimera 1.7.0 is available, but my script is not able to parse it correctly.

I'll see what's up.