[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

thanks.

i decided to buy me a new graphics card, can you recommend one?

guess that using a nvidia is the best to go with mac os x on a hackint0sh, nowadays, with SL, rtight?

EDIT: in keep my nvidia first... :D

Yes, as far as I know nvidia cards will give you the easiest ride with OSX86. As for a recommendation, I don't know, it's all down to how much you want to spend. But stick with something recent.

I followed your instructions to solve UUID generation with RC4.

However, Chameleon is not injecting the UUID number I put in the SistemID key in boot.plist.

Can you post the Rek's boot file you're using?

Hi jamonda (Also to keypox and agrafuese)

I am using Rekursor's standard file as I pointed to in the link. And yes, my Hardware UUID value displayed in System Profiler is also different to the value I put in the com.apple.Boot.plist. Rekursor's original post says that the system generates an IOPlatformUUID from the system ID we enter. When we look at the Hardware UUID in system profiler, it shows us the IOPlatformUUID.

Quick question blackosx!

You mentioned above using Chameleon for Ethernet and Video now. Do any settings change (in the Graphic tab and Network tab) using Koalala’s ACPI Patcher to Build a DSDT.aml file? Or just follow your PDF instructions?

Hi Johnny V

If you want to use the device injection features of Chameleon then you will want to remove them from DSDT or EFI strings. So yes, if you want to use device injection for video then you build a DSDT with ACPIpatcher leaving the graphics tab empty.

I keep track of this thread to see what the latest and greatest for the GA-EP-45-DS3L, and I am continually amazed at the kindness, helpfulness and patience of :star_smile:blackosx :star_smile:

Dude, you rock. :angel:

Thank you GoGades for your kind words :)

We have someone new to thank....... Duvel300.

He has supplied a new restart method which allows us to remove OSXRestart.kext from /E/E.

Note: This is for EP45 model boards only.

To do this, you need to get the RestartFix from here.

Inside the archive you are going to need two files, which are....

boot

FADT.aml

The boot file is a modified Chameleon RC4 boot file which needs to replace your current boot file in the root of the Cham partition, and the FADT.aml is a table from the ACPI files which needs to be added to your /Extra folder in with your DSDT.aml.

But, there's more.....

I had been using Rekursor's modified boot file for the system-id fix, and I now wanted to use Duvel300's boot file. So I have compiled a new version of Chameleon RC4's boot file to include both of these fixes so you can have a modified system-id and restart without OSXRestart.kext. You can get the modified boot file here which needs to replace the one you currently use in the root of the Cham partition.

Enjoy :thumbsup_anim:

Everything working perfectly on my Hack, using the new boot file and FADT.aml - DSDT as per mm67. Sleep, Auto-sleep and restart working as advertised, including wake with aluminium keyboard.

Bye-bye extra kexts!

Thanks for all the hard work ;)

I can confirm that the Duvel300 restart method works for me on EP43 board

Great. I only said EP45 boards as that's what Duvel300 suggested. Thanks for reporting :D

Everything working perfectly on my Hack, using the new boot file and FADT.aml - DSDT as per mm67. Sleep, Auto-sleep and restart working as advertised, including wake with aluminium keyboard.

Bye-bye extra kexts!

Thanks for all the hard work ;)

Fantastic. Again, thanks for reporting back :)

Blackosx,

1. I'm having problems with bonjour. I used Sonotone's bonjour installer to fix bonjour, just as you advised. It worked. However, from time to time bonjour stops working (so do Time Machine and file access over ethernet). I run ifconfig and I can se that when bonjour is not working en0 is running in simplex mode, not promiscuous mode. What may be causing en0 to lose promiscuous mode?

2. If I buy wifi hardware used in macbooks (BCM94322MC, for example) will I also have to use the bonjour fix?

Thanks.

PS. Your boot file with system id fix and Duvel300 restart fix works great with EP45-UD3L.

Great. I only said EP45 boards as that's what Duvel300 suggested. Thanks for reporting :)

Fantastic. Again, thanks for reporting back :)

GA-EP45C-UD3R working great here!

BTW: did we ever find a fix for the following:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

Just curious. Thanks.

Blackosx,

1. I'm having problems with bonjour. I used Sonotone's bonjour installer to fix bonjour, just as you advised. It worked. However, from time to time bonjour stops working (so do Time Machine and file access over ethernet). I run ifconfig and I can se that when bonjour is not working en0 is running in simplex mode, not promiscuous mode. What may be causing en0 to lose promiscuous mode?

2. If I buy wifi hardware used in macbooks (BCM94322MC, for example) will I also have to use the bonjour fix?

Thanks.

PS. Your boot file with system id fix and Duvel300 restart fix works great with EP45-UD3L.

Hi jamonda

I don't know why your bonjour stops working. Using ifconfig works great for me, though I don't use it that often. I have never used a wifi card with my hack so I can't give you accurate info, but I do remember some people having success and others with not much luck. Maybe you can search through the wiki for a suitable card?

Thanks for the confirmation of the boot file working, however I have just seen there have been more developments in the Gigabyte DSDT Fix thread regarding this, so I recommend keeping an eye on that thread.

GA-EP45C-UD3R working great here!

BTW: did we ever find a fix for the following:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

Just curious. Thanks.

Hi bigpoppa206

Are you confirming the revised boot file with Duvel300 & Rekursor fix? If so, as I just said to jamonda, keep your eye on the Gigabyte DSDT Fix thread as it's continuously revealing new techniques and discoveries ;)

With regard to start APCI_SMC message... I did read something about exactly why that was, but I can't remember now. If I come across it again, I will update this post.

But, there's more.....

I had been using Rekursor's modified boot file for the system-id fix, and I now wanted to use Duvel300's boot file. So I have compiled a new version of Chameleon RC4's boot file to include both of these fixes so you can have a modified system-id and restart without OSXRestart.kext. You can get the modified boot file here which needs to replace the one you currently use in the root of the Cham partition.

Enjoy :)

Duvel300 just updated his "boot" file that does not require FDAT. May be its time to upgrade your Recursor's combo boot.

Regards

Duvel300 just updated his "boot" file that does not require FDAT. May be its time to upgrade your Recursor's combo boot.

Regards

Yep - done it :)

So just to update everyone, Duvel300's latest trick is to not use the FADT.aml, but to use his new modified Chameleon RC4 boot file and add the following to the com.apple.Boot.plist.

<key>RestartFix</key>

<string>YES</string>

But as last time, I have recompiled a revised version to include Rekursor's system-id fix. You can get if from my post in the Gigabyte DSDT Fix thread.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1364950

Note: So if you previously added the FADT.aml to your /Extra folder, you can now remove it.

Holy Smokes! I'm up and running with 10.6.2 using this guide. I'm using a GIGABYTE GA-EX38-DS4 motherboard with ALC889a and ICH9.

I big major thanks goes out to blackosx. I didn't realized just how much work went into his guide until I sat down and started installing and going over the guides. The PDFs are laid out and organized extremely well.

blackosx I don't know how much time you spent on this but i know it must have been hundreds and hundreds of hours… at least.

Also a big major thanks to Master Chief and mm67 for their superb DSDT work… Who would ever sits down and figures this stuff out is amazing! Many Thanks Guys! I'm sure I missing many others... many thanks to all!

I was very apprehensive about starting this blackosx install as I was so accustom to installs like Kalyway, and iPC which was super easy to install. But the major problem with these builds is the dot release updates - you gotta jump through hoops to update properly and worry not to hose your system. I've been using iPC 10.5.6 for about a year and I'll admit it really is super solid but I've been stuck at 10.5.6 for such a long time.

Anyway on to this build. I was going to follow the guide to the "T" as they say, but nature got in the way. I started Saturday evening, about 6PM I was going to head out to my girlfriend's house to convert the bios to DSDT with her Windows machine. But the snow was getting heavy and decided to not to drive. I was all dressed up and no where to go but really wanted to start this build. So I decided to use a DSDT file already available on the forums. At first I was going to use blackosx's DSDT that came with the build but from my researchI felt it might be too motherboard specific. So the I chose iSpoprano's DSDT #6 update at: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=192518

Followed the guide - used BootCD to bootup. First problem was BootCD would not eject. Used the old paperclip trick to eject the CD. Next minor problem was partitioning the new WD Caviar Black 750 GB HD. HD was fresh out of the bag and got an error first time I tried to partition. HD didn't like multiple partitions for it's first time… tried one partition and that worked and was able to proceed with multiple partitions.

Snow Leopard install went smoothly and booted back into IPC 10.5.6 and installed all the necessary 10.6.0 files in the Cham partition as per the guide. This visible Cham partition makes it so easy to install and tweak the system. No Terminal yea baby!

Moment of truth… I restarted and booted up in Cham. SnowLeopard icon was visible and I thought this was too easy…. well it was as it Kerneled Panicked right after selecting SL. Figured the DSDT was the problem. It wasn't the problem, turned out the com.apple.Boot.plist was in the root of Cham and not in the the Extra folder. My fault! On the next restart I was greeted with Snow Leopard. Did a quick check…. ethernet worked but no sound. My dual monitors worked, I just had to adjust resolution. Ran the Software Update for 10.6.2. While downloading I installed the necessary files in Cham for 10.6.2 as per the guide. Restarted back into Snow Leopard and all is good.

Was able to fix the sound by building a DSDT using the GA-EX38-DS4 bios (F3) via Windows and Patcher and replaced iSpoprano's Device (HDEF) (Realtek ALC888) info with my bios Device (HDEF) (Realtek ALC889a) info. Was successful with this along with LegacyHDA.kext (ALC889a) in the Extra/Extensions folder.

iSpoprano's Device (HDEF) (Realtek ALC888):

Device (HDEF)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
               OperationRegion (HDCS, PCI_Config, 0x54, 0x04)
               Field (HDCS, DWordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
               {
                       ,   15, 
                   PMES,   1
               }

Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Return (Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0D, 
                       0x06
                   })
               }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x0A)
                       {
                           "built-in", 
                           Buffer (One)
                           {
                               0x01
                           }, 

"codec-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x88, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
                           }, 

"layout-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x78, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"device-type", 
                           Buffer (0x10)
                           {
                               "Realtek ALC888"
                           }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (0x28)
                           {
                               /* 0000 */    0x10, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x01, 0x20, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x02, 
                               /* 0008 */    0x80, 0x30, 0x81, 0x01, 0x90, 0x40, 0x21, 0x02, 
                               /* 0010 */    0x30, 0x40, 0x11, 0x01, 0x40, 0x40, 0x01, 0x01, 
                               /* 0018 */    0x50, 0x60, 0x01, 0x01, 0x60, 0x20, 0x01, 0x01, 
                               /* 0020 */    0x70, 0x61, 0x4B, 0x01, 0xA0, 0x01, 0xCB, 0x01

GA-EX38-DS4 Device (HDEF) (Realtek ALC889a) info:

Device (HDEF)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
               Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Return (Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0D, 
                       0x05
                   })
               }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x08)
                       {
                           "codec-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x89, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
                           }, 

"layout-id", 
                           /**** Is ResourceTemplate, but EndTag not at buffer end ****/ Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x79, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"device-type", 
                           Buffer (0x10)
                           {
                               "Realtek ALC889a"
                           }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (0x18)
                           {
                               /* 0000 */    0x10, 0x44, 0x11, 0x01, 0x20, 0x14, 0x01, 0x01, 
                               /* 0008 */    0x40, 0x4C, 0x21, 0x02, 0x50, 0x34, 0x81, 0x01, 
                               /* 0010 */    0x60, 0x9C, 0xA1, 0x02, 0xF0, 0x61, 0x4B, 0x01

There's still some issues... the UUID fix (to fix the default Cham UUI) isn't working for some reason. The 8800 GT doesn't show Quartz Extreme/OpenGL. Tried EFI Studio via com.apple.Boot.plist but get the same System Profiler info. Haven't gotten to: ICH9 is reported as ESB2 AHCI. Actually my bio's DSDT doesn't have SATA info but instead JMICRON... or at least that's what DSDT SE's ACPI search in tells me.

Restart, Sleep and Shutdown work fine...

Anyway Many Thanks to blackosx and Master Chief for getting me to Snow Leopard.

Best,

John

I have a question...

Why are people refusing to use OpenHaltRestart.kext, and RealtekR1000.kext from PsyStar?

Just been wondering why.

Thanks

I think because they stole from the community and didnt acknowledge it. Personally i use evOreboot, works better for me.

I guess i can't remove this on p35 ds3l? I guess i could test, but im to tired for that tonight. Need to test new mod to dsdt.

I have a question...

Why are people refusing to use OpenHaltRestart.kext, and RealtekR1000.kext from PsyStar?

Just been wondering why.

Thanks

We no longer need to use OpenHaltRestart with our Gigabyte boards as mm67 fixed shutdown with his work on DSDT (thanks mm67) and Duvel300 has fixed restart with his work on a modified Chameleon v2 RC4 boot file.

I personally choose not to use any Realtek.kext (even the best solution which is BitShoveler's Snow Leopard version), as I run with the kernel in both 32 & 64 bit mode, and it needs to run from /System/Library/Extensions which I refuse to touch. My installs are all about building a complete system with adding your dedicated files to ONLY Chameleon's /Extra folder. This way, when Apple release a software update, there's a very good chance that your untouched retail install will update first time.

Blackosx,

As always, I'm following you. The new boot file whit RestartFix key in boot.plist works good with EP45-UD3L.

Thanks for reporting jamonda. Yes, it's working great here too :)

Holy Smokes! I'm up and running with 10.6.2 using this guide. I'm using a GIGABYTE GA-EX38-DS4 motherboard with ALC889a and ICH9.

There's still some issues... the UUID fix (to fix the default Cham UUI) isn't working for some reason. The 8800 GT doesn't show Quartz Extreme/OpenGL. Tried EFI Studio via com.apple.Boot.plist but get the same System Profiler info. Haven't gotten to: ICH9 is reported as ESB2 AHCI. Actually my bio's DSDT doesn't have SATA info but instead JMICRON... or at least that's what DSDT SE's ACPI search in tells me.

Restart, Sleep and Shutdown work fine...

Anyway Many Thanks to blackosx and Master Chief for getting me to Snow Leopard.

Hi Johnny V

Yes I have spent a lot of time in this thread (as the missus keeps reminding me :) ) but thanks for the kind words.

Well done with your install. Yes, the distro's were always easier to install but as you didn't know what files had been changed when building the install image it was never too easy to know exactly how a system update would work.And doesn't it feel better to have a genuine retail DVD and just load it? Sure, there are patches/tweaks required to make everything functional like sleep, restart, sound, networking etc.. but these are becoming easier than ever to do with the new developments in the scene.

Like I say on the front page....

Although I have tried to make this guide as simple as possible, it still requires some knowledge of OSX86 and the willingness to research, read and learn. Before posting problems on this thread, please ensure you have read and completed the install guide PDF and have searched this thread for possible solutions.

.... which you seem to have & done and have overcome the differences with your board very well. Good work.

With regard to Rekursor's fix to Chameleon for the system-id, it works as long as yours doesn't start with DF557FA2....... and from reading Rekursor's original post he says that the system generates an IOPlatformUUID from the system ID we enter. When we look at the Hardware UUID in system profiler, it shows us the IOPlatformUUID.

I am using an 8800GT and inject my video device using Chameleon. I wrote about how I use it here and it should work for you. But if you are going to try that way, make sure you don't have video info in either device (EFI) strings or DSDT.

For ICH9 SATA I am not sure what you need to do as it's different from mine, but there are plenty of thread about it in this forum.

Hi bigpoppa206

Are you confirming the revised boot file with Duvel300 & Rekursor fix? If so, as I just said to jamonda, keep your eye on the Gigabyte DSDT Fix thread as it's continuously revealing new techniques and discoveries :)

With regard to start APCI_SMC message... I did read something about exactly why that was, but I can't remember now. If I come across it again, I will update this post.

Reserving my confirmation for now, seems that sometimes when I shutdown, the system goes through all the motions but it's not totally shut down. Where is the Gigabyte DSDT thread? I need to go over there and do some 'light' reading.

As far as the ACPI message, wasn't that something to do with Power Management? Sigh, a never ending job, haha!

Reserving my confirmation for now, seems that sometimes when I shutdown, the system goes through all the motions but it's not totally shut down. Where is the Gigabyte DSDT thread? I need to go over there and do some 'light' reading.

As far as the ACPI message, wasn't that something to do with Power Management? Sigh, a never ending job, haha!

The Gigabyte DSDT Fix Thread is here.

And hopefully you might find some reference to the ACPI, power management, issue. :)

I am using an 8800GT and inject my video device using Chameleon. I wrote about how I use it here and it should work for you. But if you are going to try that way, make sure you don't have video info in either device (EFI) strings or DSDT.

Thanks!

Yes that's the method I used and it works fine... when <key>PciRoot</key><string>1</string> was added!

But according to SL System Profiler both Core Image and Quartz Extreme doesn't show when compared to my iPC build.

graphicslvsleo.th.gif

Core Image and Quartz Extreme is used in Photoshop for "Smooth" zooming and other important graphic functions.

cs4opengl.th.gif

Also I'm pretty sure iMovie, Aperture and iPhoto can take advantage of CI and QE. I don't know if the lack of both listed is just cosmetic or if they are not implemented using the above Chameleon Graphic Injector. If I have time today I'll install Photoshop and see what shows in it's Preferences.

Best,

John

Thanks!

Yes that's the method I used and it works fine... when <key>PciRoot</key><string>1</string> was added!

But according to SL System Profiler both Core Image and Quartz Extreme doesn't show when compared to my iPC build.

Hi John

Snow Leopard no longer shows Core Image & Quartz Extreme in System Profiler. So even though it's working you won't get written confirmation. I use Photoshop CS4 and it's lovely and smooth here, works a treat. Here's a screenshot from my system using video device injection with Chameleon.

post-331032-1261426636_thumb.png

Hi John

Snow Leopard no longer shows Core Image & Quartz Extreme in System Profiler. So even though it's working you won't get written confirmation. I use Photoshop CS4 and it's lovely and smooth here, works a treat. Here's a screenshot from my system using video device injection with Chameleon.

Yep I just finished installing Photoshop minutes ago and can confirm Core Image & Quartz Extreme is implemented. Nice how Chameleon handles this!

Thanks! John

Also I'm pretty sure iMovie, Aperture and iPhoto can take advantage of CI and QE. I don't know if the lack of both listed is just cosmetic or if they are not implemented using the above Chameleon Graphic Injector. If I have time today I'll install Photoshop and see what shows in it's Preferences.

For others following this thread, it's merely cosmetic and yes it changed with Snow Leopard. If you go into Dashboard, select the + symbol to add Widgets and then select Manage Widgets, you should see the rippling water effect. Proof the CI/QE is indeed working.

For others following this thread, it's merely cosmetic and yes it changed with Snow Leopard....

Thanks... I remember in the olden days with Kalyway and iPC, this was a big issue trying to activate Core Image & Quartz Extreme.... was really tricky with some graphic cards. That stuck with me, so when I saw no CI and QE and a warning flag went off.

Yep - done it :weight_lift:

So just to update everyone, Duvel300's latest trick is to not use the FADT.aml, but to use his new modified Chameleon RC4 boot file and add the following to the com.apple.Boot.plist.

<key>RestartFix</key>

<string>YES</string>

But as last time, I have recompiled a revised version to include Rekursor's system-id fix. You can get if from my post in the Gigabyte DSDT Fix thread.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1364950

Note: So if you previously added the FADT.aml to your /Extra folder, you can now remove it.

blackosx,

TQ for sharing with us the revised version.

Confirmed that it worked on my DS-P35-DS3 E8400 system :offtopic: .

Restart takes a bit longer (10 sec) vs previous OpenHaltRestart.kext (3sec) :P

What is the experience on your restart?

Have a nice day.