[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

I'll try that, did you also flash your video rom when we had this prob with 10.5.6?

didn't work

Q/E is not enabled, what could that be.... hmm maybe reflash back to original rom

Q/E is enabled but not displayed by the Snow Leopard System Profiler... I asked the same question when I didn't see Q/E also.

No didn't flash my card. With 10.5.6 I used AppleUpstreamUserClientDisabler inside a disabler.kext.

There's other's that have jumpy video too. Hope they chime in.

Q/E is not enabled, what could that be.... hmm maybe reflash back to original rom

I never flashed my 8800GT with a mac rom, but as you had QE/CI working with 10.5.7/8 then it should still won't work for you in 10.6.

There are three ways to get your video card recognised fully.

1. Patch your DSDT with video.

2. Create a device (EFI) string to add to your com.apple.Boot.plist.

3. Add the GraphicsEnabler boot option to your com.apple.Boot.plist.

I would recommend the third option as it's the quickest and easiest option. If you are using the original Chameleon RC4 boot file then all you should need to do is add the following to your com.apple.Boot.plist in Chameleon's /Extra folder.

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

and reboot.

@Johnny V - Thanks for chipping in :P

I never flashed my 8800GT with a mac rom, but as you had QE/CI working with 10.5.7/8 then it should still won't work for you in 10.6.

There are three ways to get your video card recognised fully.

1. Patch your DSDT with video.

2. Create a device (EFI) string to add to your com.apple.Boot.plist.

3. Add the GraphicsEnabler boot option to your com.apple.Boot.plist.

I would recommend the third option as it's the quickest and easiest option. If you are using the original Chameleon RC4 boot file then all you should need to do is add the following to your com.apple.Boot.plist in Chameleon's /Extra folder.

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

and reboot.

I'll try #3, I flashed my rom back to original, and still same. no C/I, and no Q/E. I'll let u know, thanks

You are welcome!

I'm assuming lensboard did one of the three from your guide. I used "3. Add the GraphicsEnabler boot option to your com.apple.Boot.plist." worked perfectly.

I'll try #3, I flashed my rom back to original, and still same. no C/I, and no Q/E. I'll let u know, thanks

OH... OK... once installed properly C/I and Q/E will still not show up in the System Profiler. It's the nature of the beast!: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1365720

You are welcome!

I'm assuming lensboard did one of the three from your guide. I used "3. Add the GraphicsEnabler boot option to your com.apple.Boot.plist." worked perfectly.

OH... OK... once installed properly C/I and Q/E will still not show up in the System Profiler. It's the nature of the beast!: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1365720

none of that worked, I will work on this tomorrow, dont want to spend all day on this

Thanks guys. My video should be the final issue

update, reinstalled, did not use the string for ethernet (mine works oob), and use string for video only in the boot file, working now with the macpro rom onboard my vid card, no mouse lag at all with noe extra kexts

Not sure what it was, but working now

BlackOSX,

Sorry for the late reply, but the DSDT was not the cause for this.

I wish someone with a real Mac Pro can test this out.

I guess trip to the apple store :-)

btw... BlackOSX, if this doesn't work I have a question, that might be a workaround for me/owners of acb10us.

i mean it's mearly cosmetics but i wnat to have the most "customizable" option you know?

Is there a "Dummy" kext out there somewhere for a mouse? Is it possible to have a kext, and fool the computer so it looks like it's plugged in but it's not. (So I basically want the computer to think there is a USB Mouse connected but there really isn't, since a USB Mouse enables me to check the Wake from Bluetooth devices in the settings).

thanks

update, reinstalled, did not use the string for ethernet (mine works oob), and use string for video only in the boot file, working now with the macpro rom onboard my vid card, no mouse lag at all with noe extra kexts

Not sure what it was, but working now

Fantastic. Congratulations. :(

No kexts for the mouse lag? or have you used the SleepEnabler which Johnny V posted which includes the fix?

BlackOSX,

Sorry for the late reply, but the DSDT was not the cause for this.

I wish someone with a real Mac Pro can test this out.

I guess trip to the apple store :-)

btw... BlackOSX, if this doesn't work I have a question, that might be a workaround for me/owners of acb10us.

i mean it's mearly cosmetics but i wnat to have the most "customizable" option you know?

Is there a "Dummy" kext out there somewhere for a mouse? Is it possible to have a kext, and fool the computer so it looks like it's plugged in but it's not. (So I basically want the computer to think there is a USB Mouse connected but there really isn't, since a USB Mouse enables me to check the Wake from Bluetooth devices in the settings).

thanks

Sorry LOLmoe but can you quote the previous text within your reply to help me? For this time, I have done the searching to find what you are referring to and I have found it in the DSDT thread, and my answer was ....

I am not using either a bluetooth keyboard or mouse so I can't do any testing for you. But your idea of rebooting with an older DSDT is the best way to identify if it's the DSDT causing your issue.

So at least you now know it wasn't a DSDT issue.

As for a dummy kext, I have no experience in creating them. Maybe it can be done?

This might sound a crazy option and it won't be ideal, but if the issue is bothering you that much then as a temporary fix, how about plugging in an old mouse and leaving it round the back?

Fantastic. Congratulations. :)

No kexts for the mouse lag? or have you used the SleepEnabler which Johnny V posted which includes the fix?

No kexts, or any other fix employed, I think cuz my vid card is flashed with MacPro rom. I can flash it back to stock and test

Here is my cham volume, I only used the kexts you included in your latest package. I figured out your style, you named each folder with the corresponding step in the guide, that made it easy.

I used all your latest files (the sleepenabler was the 10.6.2 version of yours), worked fine. I might flash my vid card back and test it, we'll see

4221733161_6baf5461de_o.png

No kexts, or any other fix employed, I think cuz my vid card is flashed with MacPro rom. I can flash it back to stock and test.

In that case your MacPro ROM on your video card has indeed allowed you not to require a disabler for the QuickTime mouse lag. I guess that was the same for 10.5.X?

Here is my cham volume, I only used the kexts you included in your latest package. I figured out your style, you named each folder with the corresponding step in the guide, that made it easy.

Yes, I did try to apply some logic :)

I used all your latest files (the sleepenabler was the 10.6.2 version of yours), worked fine. I might flash my vid card back and test it, we'll see

4221733161_6baf5461de_o.png

Looks great. So are you happy that your system is fully working?

If so, then you might want to move on to the next step - Vanilla Speedstep?

Or even the latest advancements of running with the newest patched DSDT (thanks to mm67), which is in the latest Support Files, which allows shutdown without OpenHaltRestart or similar and a new modified Chameleon RC4 boot file to allow your machine to restart without OSXRestart.kext.

Looks great. So are you happy that your system is fully working?

If so, then you might want to move on to the next step - Vanilla Speedstep?

Or even the latest advancements of running with the newest patched DSDT (thanks to mm67), which is in the latest Support Files, which allows shutdown without OpenHaltRestart or similar and a new modified Chameleon RC4 boot file to allow your machine to restart without OSXRestart.kext.

I have used all the latest files in your current thread. Which kexts can I get rid of?, and why...thanks

I have used all the latest files in your current thread. Which kexts can I get rid of?, and why...thanks

You have finished the Snow Leopard install as the guide was intended for, but as you have been out of the scene for a while I just thought I would bring you up to date with the latest tricks & techniques. All this is newer than the guide PDF and that's why it (one-day) to be re-written. These are purely optional and you don't need to do any of them.

You can get rid of NullCPUPowerManagement.kext if you want and if you do then you can also remove SleepEnabler.kext as that's only needed to help your computer sleep while using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. Your machine will run, as the supplied DSDT has a patched Device (HPET), though your CPU temps will be higher. This can be countered by working through vanilla speedstep for your CPU and generating a Scope (_PR) in your DSDT specifically for your machine. Then your temps will return to normal as your CPU will step the power used depending on the load you require of it.

We used to use OpenHaltRestart for shutdown and restart. But mm67 developed a DSDT fix to enable shutdown without any kext. The DSDT I supply in the Support Files on the front page of this thread is a revised version of mm67's DSDT which I tweaked for our GA-EP45-DS3L. That's why you don't have OpenHaltRestart.

But restart still needed to be fixed without a kext, and currently you have OSXRestart by MasterChief. But a new method to allow out machines to restart was found by Duvel300 by modifying the Chameleon RC4 boot file. Any by using this, OSXRestart can also be removed.

Like I said these are purely optional and would leave you only fakesmc.kext, LegacyHDA.kext & OrangeIconFix.kext. If you would like to try any of these but feel you would like assistance then I will do what I can to help. But please bear with me as it's still Christmas for me (and probably you too) and I am here, there and everywhere at the moment so can only be logged in when I get the chance.

You can get rid of NullCPUPowerManagement.kext if you want and if you do then you can also remove SleepEnabler.kext as that's only needed to help your computer sleep while using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. Your machine will run, as the supplied DSDT has a patched Device (HPET), though your CPU temps will be higher. This can be countered by working through vanilla speedstep for your CPU and generating a Scope (_PR) in your DSDT specifically for your machine. Then your temps will return to normal as your CPU will step the power used depending on the load you require of it.

I will look into DSDT in a bit, still a bit new to me

We used to use OpenHaltRestart for shutdown and restart. But mm67 developed a DSDT fix to enable shutdown without any kext. The DSDT I supply in the Support Files on the front page of this thread is a revised version of mm67's DSDT which I tweaked for our GA-EP45-DS3L. That's why you don't have OpenHaltRestart.

so as long as I am using the latest DSDT file on front page, I will remove this kext

But restart still needed to be fixed without a kext, and currently you have OSXRestart by MasterChief. But a new method to allow out machines to restart was found by Duvel300 by modifying the Chameleon RC4 boot file. Any by using this, OSXRestart can also be removed

ok, will remove this one as well; are you referring to the updated boot file on your front page, or in your latest file package?

Thanks for the help. I have been out of the scene for so long, because I was working a lot (and my current machine is solid), now that I am not working so much, and I waould like to upgrade to snow leopard, I need to wrap my brain around this again.

your 2.4.1 support files contains RC2 of chameleon, not the RC4 as shown in your update notes, just want to confirm that

I will look into DSDT in a bit, still a bit new to me

Don't worry if it's all a bit confusing. I lost six weeks reading, testing and trying to learn about it, and although I know a lot more now than I did, there's still a lot that I haven't a clue about.

so as long as I am using the latest DSDT file on front page, I will remove this kext

The DSDT file in the Support Files v2.4.1 is what I am currently using but with a default Scope (_PR) section which is essentially all about the CPU. So anyone with the EP45-DS3L should be able to use it.

ok, will remove this one as well; are you referring to the updated boot file on your front page, or in your latest file package?

In the Support Files v2.4.1 there is an installer for Chameleon v2 RC2 which needs to be run from a 10.5 install (which you have already done). When voodooprojects released RC3 & RC4 an installer wasn't supplied. So to update Chameleon to the later versions all that is required is to replace the existing boot file in the root of the Cham volume with the one in the latest binary package from the Chameleon website. For ease, I have included it in the Support Files v2.4.1 and you'll find it in folder 4c - Snow Leopard boot file - Replace Chameleon RC2 boot file with one of these along side Netkas' PC EFI v10.5 boot file (this is optional and I won't go in to it now). So you could replace your RC2 boot file with this original RC4 boot file and be done. But, read on...

Chameleon RC4 brought with it some new features, one of which was IntVar's system-id patch which allowed us to remove PlatformUUID.kext from /E/E/ (You don't have this but it was needed in the past). You can read more about this in my post here (note the additional boot option to add to your com.apple.Boot.plist) where you will also find a link to a revised boot file by Rekursor. But since Rekursor released the modified boot file, Duvel300 developed a fix for restart by changing the Chameleon boot file and released a different modified RC4 boot file which allowed us to restart our machines.

Now after all that we were left with three boot files to choose from, the original, Rekursor's and Duvel300's. So I had the idea to compile a single boot file which included all the fixes which worked great, but thiagomaorales figured out that I had forgot one other of Rekursor's patches to do with the PCIroot boot option in the com.apple.Boot.plist. You can read about it here and in the following posts which will eventually lead you to this boot file which I now use.

So using that boot file will allow you to remove OSXRestart and have a unique Hardware UUID shown in System Profiler. And for restart to work you will need to add the following boot option to Chameleon's boot.apple.Boot.plist

<key>RestartFix</key>

<string>YES</string>

Thanks for the help. I have been out of the scene for so long, because I was working a lot (and my current machine is solid), now that I am not working so much, and I waould like to upgrade to snow leopard, I need to wrap my brain around this again.

No problems. You showed me what I needed when I first started out, so I am only happy to return the favour ;)

And it will help others here who also have the same questions.

your 2.4.1 support files contains RC2 of chameleon, not the RC4 as shown in your update notes, just want to confirm that

See above ;)

Thanks for all the info, after reinstalling again with all the changes you recommend, I am up, and stable. I didn't use any disabler kexts for the video lag issue, because of my macpro flashed vid card. I didn't use a hex string for the vid card either, I just used the pci enable key in my boot.plist file as you recommend. Kinda cool using the software update directly from apple.

Just a note, my ethernet works without any modification. You can see the model in my sig. I also left my bios at F8 as I still have 10.5.x running, but if it works why update it?

Thanks BlackOSX

Thanks for all the info, after reinstalling again with all the changes you recommend, I am up, and stable. I didn't use any disabler kexts for the video lag issue, because of my macpro flashed vid card. I didn't use a hex string for the vid card either, I just used the pci enable key in my boot.plist file as you recommend. Kinda cool using the software update directly from apple.

Lovely Jubbly

Just a note, my ethernet works without any modification. You can see the model in my sig.

The GA311 is still going strong then... Great.

I also left my bios at F8 as I still have 10.5.x running, but if it works why update it?

BIOS F11B brought with it AHCI v1.20E which allows a faster boot process, and BIOS F11C brought the quick boot BIOS option which makes booting even faster :)

I also have a 10.5.x install on a second HDD in my machine built using my 10.5.8 install guide (which is very similar to this 10.6 one). And just incase you didn't know, you can boot either system with Chameleon from your Cham volume by adding all required extensions for 10.5 inside a folder named Extensions and place that in a folder named 10.5, then the same would apply for 10.6. Here's a grab of my Extra folder for reference.

post-331032-1262077166_thumb.png

I also have a 10.5.x install on a second HDD in my machine built using my 10.5.8 install guide (which is very similar to this 10.6 one). And just incase you didn't know, you can boot either system with Chameleon from your Cham volume by adding all required extensions for 10.5 inside a folder named Extensions and place that in a folder named 10.5, then the same would apply for 10.6. Here's a grab of my Extra folder for reference.

Very cool, thanks. Once I migrate to snow leopard after I test it for a bit. I won't go back. I am more of a user than a hacker. There are even times I would rather just buy a macpro, and forget it, but it is still "fun" to hack our PC's to do this. In addition, I like the control I have over the hardware.

I may update my BIOS and see if it still runs my 10.5.

I still need to reflash my video back to stock, and see if I have the lag issue, I am sure I will, just need to confirm.

Oh my. I haven't been here for a while and so much new stuff. I must read the guides again to update my setup which by the way still works like a charm without any reinstall since I was roaming the forum before :rolleyes:

I'm having a problem getting SL to start the install process.

My current setup:

GA-P35-DS3R

ATi 4870 HD 512mb

dual 250gb drives running RAID 0

I just got 10.6.2 running perfectly on my Dell Mini 10v dual booting with Windows 7.

I re-formatted this computer's drive to have two partitions, I installed Windows 7 on one, it's up and running fine.

I burned the 1.06 bootloader to disc, I get the boot screen, throw in my 10.6 retail disc that I bought, it begins with the grey screen and spinning wheel below the apple, then I get a tiny cancel logo over the apple. If I remember right that means there is a hardware compatibility problem.

Screen shot - 58706634.jpg

I did read about how people that have ATi cards needs to go to that guy's blog but I'm confused about how to add that file to the boot disc I burned so that the installer sees and can run my 4870. The file I download just contains a file called "boot". The boot disc ISO image contains a file called "cdboot" do I just replace that with the "boot" file?

Very cool, thanks. Once I migrate to snow leopard after I test it for a bit. I won't go back. I am more of a user than a hacker. There are even times I would rather just buy a macpro, and forget it, but it is still "fun" to hack our PC's to do this. In addition, I like the control I have over the hardware.

You won't regret it, my Snow Leopard system it rock solid and has been now since the end of August.

I may update my BIOS and see if it still runs my 10.5.

Hopefully you can do so this without any issues.

I still need to reflash my video back to stock, and see if I have the lag issue, I am sure I will, just need to confirm.

It will be an interesting exercise to know for sure.

Oh my. I haven't been here for a while and so much new stuff. I must read the guides again to update my setup which by the way still works like a charm without any reinstall since I was roaming the forum before ;)

Hi titan4 - Welcome back :D

Yes, the scene has progressed swiftly in recent months, and hopefully the recent discussion between lensboard and I can give you an overall picture of what's been happening.

I'm having a problem getting SL to start the install process.

My current setup:

GA-P35-DS3R

ATi 4870 HD 512mb

dual 250gb drives running RAID 0

Hi FWP

My BootCD's are tailored for the GA-EP45-DS3L especially the latest v1.06 which includes the latest DSDT so that's probably the reason for it failing. All I can suggest is you try the v1.04 BootCD.

ATi cards will give you reason to do more research to get it running, though I have always used nVidia in my hacks so I can't help you there.

I did read about how people that have ATi cards needs to go to that guy's blog but I'm confused about how to add that file to the boot disc I burned so that the installer sees and can run my 4870. The file I download just contains a file called "boot". The boot disc ISO image contains a file called "cdboot" do I just replace that with the "boot" file?

I am guessing you are referring to netkas' PC EFI, and in that case there is only a boot file. A cdboot file is needed for booting from a CD, and I don't think you can get a modified one of those for PC EFI.

@blackosx

EP45-DS3 user here.

Do you think BIOS update is necessary (i am on F8 atm) for this install to be successful?

I am thinking of buying new HDD and just install it there and keep my current rock solid 10.5.6 build, but i have no idea whether it's going to boot on F10 revision.

A bit unfair of me to post questions since i havent done my homework yet (read this thread entirely) and i know from previous experience that 99% of the problems occurring are likely already solved or have other work-around solution equal to the general fix of the problem.

I have a working version of snow server 10.6.2.. things are working pretty good and even have ZFS up and running again. Only problem is I am trying to move the install over to an SSD and cant figure out how to copy both partitions, the Cham and Snow.. and activate the drive so it boots. Chameleon fails to install for some reason.. fails right towards the end...

Ideas appreciated!!