[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Thanks BlackOSX, It says it's not for ICH10R, I couldn't follow it.

Why couldn't you follow it?

If you have ICH10R then all you need to do is patch your LPC controller in DSDT, then continue with the steps.

FormerlyKnownAs has put together instructions on the front page of his thread (Look for the bit about AppleLPC).

Do you know any fixes that to make the USB keep the power on when the computers in sleep? I think the external harddrive/usb flashdrive issue fixes that, but my Bluetooth keyboard/mouse won't wake the system neither the adapter is kept on when sleep.

do you know any solutions?

Your computer won't go to sleep unless the USB devices also sleep. USB devices not permitting the system to sleep is one of the reasons that sleep won't work on some peoples setups.

Bluetooth is a different issue and I think MasterChief was working on that somewhere (I could be wrong). You'll have to search either the Gigabyte DSDT Fix thread or the P5K Pro thread.

When i change my SMBIOS.plist, to fix the audio pop. Sleep because very slow, is there another fix? Also does that mess with speedstep, and is there anyways to verify my cpu is being downclocked?

• The initial audio pop that occurs after a period of not using any sound can be fixed by changing the name of macintosh model in your SMBIOS.plist. To do this, find <key>SMproductname</key> and change the key to read to <string>MacPro1,1</string>. Note: I now use MacPro3,1 as I am using vanilla SpeedStep.

Blackosx.

As stated before, I have SL installed and running following your guide

but I noticed when I boot Cham I get a message about errors, waiting

5 seconds and then one more line which goes by so fast I can't read it.

Snow Leopard still boots however.

I also noticed that if I boot SL in verbose mode I get a string of errors

that again go by so fast I can't see them but SL boots fine.

Is there a way to slow down Cham and SL on boot to at least be able

to read the messages or a log file somewhere that will have the messages

posted?

Also, I tried putting 2 kexts into the same folder on Cham where I placed

the kexts mentioned in your guide for my sound, but sound still did not

work. So I then used Kexthelper to put them in the correct folder in

Snow Leopard and sound then worked.

Am I correct in assuming that kexts placed in the Cham partition are only

used for the boot process of the loader and not SL itself or is there

something special I must do to make them work if they are in the Cham

partition like a terminal command?

I thought that if I placed any special required kexts in the Cham partition

that I would not need them in the SL partiton thus keeping SL completely

virgin.

Thanks for your insights.

When i change my SMBIOS.plist, to fix the audio pop. Sleep because very slow, is there another fix? Also does that mess with speedstep, and is there anyways to verify my cpu is being downclocked?

As you quoted from my front page, I now use MacPro3,1 for my <key>SMproductname</key> in SMBIOS. I always preferred to use iMac8,1 as it's the machine with the closest specs to mine, but as you know, having it set to MacPro 1,1 seems to fix the audio pop. However for speedstep to function correctly we need to set it to MacPro3,1. I haven't noticed any difference with the speed of entering sleep though. My system will enter sleep with in a second or two after selecting in from the Apple menu.

@sri1225 - You have quoted a previous post by snifferpro but haven't asked anything?

I have just realised I have been hacking for exactly 1 year today! :(

Just a quick moment to reminisce....

I joined insanelymac, and set off on my journey to try OS X on my PC using Distro's and here's my very first post I made to insanelymac. Then after a few months of messing about I finally came across lensboard's 10.5.6 retail guide and never looked back. Here was my first post to lensboard's guide back in March.

I have just realised I have been hacking for exactly 1 year today! :(

Just a quick moment to reminisce....

I joined insanelymac, and set off on my journey to try OS X on my PC using Distro's and here's my very first post I made to insanelymac. Then after a few months of messing about I finally came across lensboard's 10.5.6 retail guide and never looked back. Here was my first post to lensboard's guide back in March.

Congrats! :(

Hi Blackosx,

Thanks again for making the guide and for all of your support. I was wondering if you can help me out with my system, I cant seem to update it to 10.6.2, it kernel panics every time i try to update. I have tried deleting the sleepenabler.kext and updating and nothing I dont know whats causing the problem. Any suggestions.

-Thanks again for your help :wacko:

Congrats! :D

Thanks. And well done, there's your 2nd post :thumbsup_anim:It wasn't that long ago that was me....

Hi Blackosx,

Thanks again for making the guide and for all of your support. I was wondering if you can help me out with my system, I cant seem to update it to 10.6.2, it kernel panics every time i try to update. I have tried deleting the sleepenabler.kext and updating and nothing I dont know whats causing the problem. Any suggestions.

-Thanks again for your help :)

Hi uketommyv,

If I remember rightly, you have this motherboard (but can't be sure as you don't have a signature).. If you have followed this guide then updating to 10.6.2 should be straightforward as long as you deal with the SleepEnabler issue which you have tried.

When you say it KP's every time you try to update, is that before you even reboot after updating? If so, have you changed the main system installation in any way? Have you another SnowLeopard installation on your backup volume to test the update with? Also, what video card do you have as there were reports of certain video cards giving problems?

Thanks. And well done, there's your 2nd post :PIt wasn't that long ago that was me....

Hi uketommyv,

If I remember rightly, you have this motherboard (but can't be sure as you don't have a signature).. If you have followed this guide then updating to 10.6.2 should be straightforward as long as you deal with the SleepEnabler issue which you have tried.

When you say it KP's every time you try to update, is that before you even reboot after updating? If so, have you changed the main system installation in any way? Have you another SnowLeopard installation on your backup volume to test the update with? Also, what video card do you have as there were reports of certain video cards giving problems?

Hi blackosx,

Thanks for replying. I do have this motherboard. heres what im using:

Ga ep45ds3l

Intel quad core Q6600 at 2.4ghz

4gb ram

Asus GTX 285 1gb (efi string)

It KPs while installing. at the part when it says "writing files". then i have to reboot and its back at 10.6.1. I havent touched the main installation. Is there a way to know whats kernel panicking my system. It might be one of the kexts in cham volume. Do you think it might be because of the file "extensions.mkext"?.

I unfortunately don't have another system to try it one right now.

Do you have any suggestions? thanks again for the help.

It KPs while installing. at the part when it says "writing files". then i have to reboot and its back at 10.6.1. I havent touched the main installation. Is there a way to know whats kernel panicking my system. It might be one of the kexts in cham volume. Do you think it might be because of the file "extensions.mkext"?.

You can try moving your extensions.mkext out of /Extra and rebooting before updating to rule that out (I run without an extensions.mkext). Maybe also try running 'Repair Disk Permissions' in Disk Utility on your Snow Leopard volume before running the update?

So today I let my vanilla retail 10.6.1 software update without checking what it was updating, after restart the screen was grey with text and a black box in the center with a power icon on it saying shut down the computer and restart or something.

I suspect it updated to 10.6.2 and is not happy about that, is there anything I can do to get back my old system?

...is there anything I can do to get back my old system?

Nope. All you can do is boot in to your system with your USB install stick (if you made one), or try my BootCD from the front page of this thread.

My guess is your system Kernel Panics because you still have the old version of SleepEnabler in /E/E. You will need to replace your existing version with the latest version which works with the new kernel. You can find a download link to the new one in the 10.6.2 update section on the front page of this thread.

BlackOSX, and EVERYONE.

If you want to wake up with bluetooth without a hassle, you need to buy Targus ACB10US Silver Stick (first release) version. It's around $9-15. Now, everything is complete on my mac setup, I hope the next release doesn't screw it up.

DO NOT Buy the small/nub version, it will not work. (I have both).

Thanks.

oh, also black osx, i just reverted back to 32-bit mode, to run voodoo speedstep along with R1000 kext.

Nope. All you can do is boot in to your system with your USB install stick (if you made one), or try my BootCD from the front page of this thread.

My guess is your system Kernel Panics because you still have the old version of SleepEnabler in /E/E. You will need to replace your existing version with the latest version which works with the new kernel. You can find a download link to the new one in the 10.6.2 update section on the front page of this thread

Wait you said nope. But your post makes it seem like if I boot into it with the bootCD and replace the old version of sleep enabler then it should work?

If you want to wake up with bluetooth without a hassle, you need to buy Targus ACB10US Silver Stick (first release) version.....

DO NOT Buy the small/nub version, it will not work. (I have both).

Thanks for the tip :censored2:

oh, also black osx, i just reverted back to 32-bit mode, to run voodoo speedstep along with R1000 kext.

Running the kernel in 32-bit mode works great for pretty much everything and everybody only really needs to use that. Real Macs, I think, are set by default to run in 32-bit mode too.

Wait you said nope. But your post makes it seem like if I boot into it with the bootCD and replace the old version of sleep enabler then it should work?

You can always try another generic bootCD?

Yes. I hope that replacing SleepEnabler will fix your problem but I don't know for sure.

Hi balckosx,

I tried the disk utility and removed the mkext file and nothing. I tried updating in safe mode and i still get the kernel panic. Is there another thing i can try? installing this with delta update kernel panics it too. is there a way to install this manually? cuz i think is kping because its writing the new kernel i think or is there a way that shows whats kernel paniking ?it. Thanks again blackosx for the support.

-uketommyv

Hi balckosx,

I tried the disk utility and removed the mkext file and nothing. I tried updating in safe mode and i still get the kernel panic. Is there another thing i can try? installing this with delta update kernel panics it too. is there a way to install this manually? cuz i think is kping because its writing the new kernel i think or is there a way that shows whats kernel paniking ?it. Thanks again blackosx for the support.

-uketommyv

Is there anything in the System.log?

Are you running with the kernel in 64-bit mode? if so try it in 32-bit mode

Hi Blackosx,

Im running 32 bit kernel and i tried looking into the system.log file but couldnt find anything about the kernel panic. Im out of ideas. What else can I try?.

I also found out my spotlight is not working properly, it index constantly. here is the error its giving me:

Dec 7 15:05:34 Vinni-Stagliannos-iMac mds[20]: (/.Spotlight-V100/Store-V1/Stores/4E7D2171-0537-4EC0-A6F2-030AE3988BBF)(Error) IndexSDB in si_writeBackDBO:Error 12 storing dbo(4f253,430,db,47a2b7ead61a7,0,28ce5,20)

Dec 7 15:05:35 Vinni-Stagliannos-iMac mds[20]: (/.Spotlight-V100/Store-V1/Stores/4E7D2171-0537-4EC0-A6F2-030AE3988BBF)(Error) IndexCI in index_compact:cant compact writable index: live.2.

thanks again for your help.

-uketommyv

Well I fixed the spotlight issue, which i thought was the problem for kernel panicking. but its still crashing while installing. Anyone has a suggestion?

Heres the crash report as im starting to update:

12/8/09 10:05:51 AM com.apple.launchd[1] *** launchd[1] has started up. ***

12/8/09 10:06:07 AM com.apple.DumpPanic[32] 2009-12-08 10:06:07.554 DumpPanic[32:107] Error getting a reference to IODeviceTree:/options

12/8/09 10:06:07 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpPanic[32]) Exited with exit code: 1

12/8/09 10:06:33 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[80] (com.apple.ReportCrash) Falling back to default Mach exception handler. Could not find: com.apple.ReportCrash.Self

12/8/09 10:06:35 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[80] (com.apple.Kerberos.renew.plist[100]) Exited with exit code: 1

12/8/09 10:15:04 AM [0x0-0x11011].org.mozilla.firefox[131] Debugger() was called!

12/8/09 10:15:21 AM [0x0-0x11011].org.mozilla.firefox[131] Debugger() was called!

Well I fixed the spotlight issue, which i thought was the problem for kernel panicking. but its still crashing while installing. Anyone has a suggestion?

Hi uketommyv

Well done for sorting your Spotlight issue. Was it a mdworker issue?

Thanks for supplying your crash report (not that I am that good at diagnosing them). To be honest, I am out of general ideas for your update problem and now I am guessing. Could it be a DSDT issue? Out of interest, are you using a modified DSDT other than your original one made with ACPIpatcher and the fixes in my DSDT PDF guide?

A bit of self promotion here... :(

I have put together a new fun festive Chameleon theme for Christmas. If anybody is interested then head over to the Chameleon forums to download it..

post-331032-1260343161_thumb.jpg

h ttp://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,998.0.html

Hi blackosx,

My spotlight issue was caused by a corrupted folder, where spotlight indexes. What i did was to delete that folder and forced manual spotlight indexing from terminal. That seemed to fix it.

Now my dsdt file should be straight forward, since i made this from the guide but do you think my machine will start without the dsdt file? i may be able to delete the file and try to update, see if it works. Thanks again for the help.

-uketommyv

Hi blackosx,

My spotlight issue was caused by a corrupted folder, where spotlight indexes. What i did was to delete that folder and forced manual spotlight indexing from terminal. That seemed to fix it.

Now my dsdt file should be straight forward, since i made this from the guide but do you think my machine will start without the dsdt file? i may be able to delete the file and try to update, see if it works. Thanks again for the help.

-uketommyv

Thanks for the Spotlight info. I didn't know about that ^_^

As for your DSDT, yes you should be able to boot without it but you will suffer your CMOS being reset (though I do remember reading that Psystar's DUBL included a kext, by the famous David Elliot (aka dfe), to get around that - you can try searching for it if you like) but remember that I am only guessing that your DSDT might be causing your problem, and as you have said that your DSDT was made with the guide then it should be fine and not causing your problem. But it's worth a try.

Hi blackosx,

I tried it without the dsdt file but no luck. However my panics might be caused by some software i installed at the beggining of snow. Im gonna look into it and see what i can find, Ill post results. Thanks again for the help.

-uketommyv