[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Hi blackosx,

I tried it without the dsdt file but no luck. However my panics might be caused by some software i installed at the beggining of snow. Im gonna look into it and see what i can find, Ill post results. Thanks again for the help.

-uketommyv

Sorry it didn't work, but it was just a guess. Maybe it's caused by some software you've installed but again I don't know. You could try to install a fresh Snow Leopard to a backup partition and try updating that version. If that works then you definitely know it's something to do with your current install.

I've had a graphics initialization issue on a system running an 8800gt via EFI string. The issue is most noticeable at boot, when it's loading and you get the blue screen, right before the desktop loads. Every now and then it's stuck there, and turning the monitor off/on fixes it, that is when it comes back on, the desktop appears.

The issue is occurring on the setup because it is using a DVI->HDMI adapter. It works perfectly fine on a monitor w/DVI port. I always thought that such an adapter always just worked, but this is a bit of a nuissance. There were other occasions where games would first launch in full screen mode, and the screen was completely black, I had to switch to windows mode for it to give me a working system/game (which is fine).

Aside from what I've mentioned, everything else is dead on to this guide, and it is very similar to my setup. Should I try another gfx enabler? Or is this fixable with the current EFI string? I'm thinking of trying out NVEnabler with this soon.

I've had a graphics initialization issue on a system running an 8800gt via EFI string. The issue is most noticeable at boot, when it's loading and you get the blue screen, right before the desktop loads. Every now and then it's stuck there, and turning the monitor off/on fixes it, that is when it comes back on, the desktop appears.

Interesting as sometimes when I boot, at the very last second my monitor turns white and I have to switch it off then back on again to see the desktop. I just though it was down to my monitor but maybe it's related?

My monitor is connected DVI-DVI and I have tried either DVI output from my 8800GT but it makes no difference.

You could try including your video in your DSDT or try using the device injection of video by the latest bootloaders, Chameleon or PC-EFI?

New DSDT announcement.

There have been a few interesting developments in the DSDT world recently with the hard work of MasterChief, mm67 and others in the Gigabyte DSDT Fix thread. As a result, mm67 has shared a Gigabyte DSDT which includes a fix to allow using Apple aluminium keyboards to now wake from sleep and not just normal keyboards. The DSDT also includes a shutdown fix to allow our machines to shutdown without OpenHaltRestart/EvoReboot.

If you use this DSDT you can remove OpenHaltRestart/EvoReboot from your /Extra/Extensions folder, but you will need to add OSXRestart.kext by MasterChief.

I have checked mm67's DSDT against the code for an original Vanilla DSDT made from an acpidump in Linux for our GA-EP45-DS3L with BIOS F11b and tweaked the DSDT specifically for it. So this should work for anyone else running their hacks on the GA-EP45-DS3L.

Thiagomorales has added to it networking and a revised HDEF method by THe KiNG for audio. Note: It doesn't contain any code for video cards.

I have removed any CPU specific speedstep data from this DSDT and attached it here for anyone with the GA-EP45-DS3L with F11b BIOS to try.

Note: This DSDT will probably be amended/updated in the future so keep an eye out for any updates.

EDIT: I have just changed this to v2 as Thiagomorales spotted the network option was in the wrong place. For now, I have removed the networking in the DSDT. So as it doesn't include either video or networking I recommend adding the following to your com.apple.Boot.plist.

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

to allow the booter to auto inject them at boot. Note: This is dependent of what version of Booter you are using. If you find it doesn't work with Chameleon v2 RC3, then you can use PC-EFI v10.5 (see here for more info).

GA_EP45_DS3L_Generic_101209_v2.zip

I'm interested in seeing what changes you've made personally blackosx to your dsdt than what this guide originally started out with.

I looked at that Gigabyte dsdt fix thread, and it is quite a bit to take in. Right now I'm trying to find the individual pieces of code that I could possibly insert into my dsdt. e.g. where is the exact fix for the alu kb and the shutdown/restart fix. Furthermore, what's the change in the HDEF implementation? and what benefits are to be had in the restart/shutdown method? Is it faster?

Lastly, I'm very interested in how some people are shaving time from they're startup. Is it simply a matter of cutting stuff from the dsdt? Or are they implementing things in an easier/better/quicker way?

Thanks for all the info.

I have updated the BootCD and Support Files to reflect the latest changes to kexts, DSDT etc. See the Files section on the front page of this thread for more info.

Your support files used to work for me. The updated one don't work. Is there a link to download the old support files?

thanks

something strange.

for waking up the computer, i can do it through bluetooth (even apple mouse/keyboard)

however, Apple Keyboard (one with numpad) does not wake the computer even the wired mouse can't.

but if i plug in the mouse to a seperate port, it does wake up.

but the wired numeric pad keyboard still doesnt.

strange, blackosx, can you tthink of anything?

New DSDT announcement.

There have been a few interesting developments in the DSDT world recently with the hard work of MasterChief, mm67 and others in the Gigabyte DSDT Fix thread. As a result, mm67 has shared a Gigabyte DSDT which includes a fix to allow using Apple aluminium keyboards to now wake from sleep and not just normal keyboards. The DSDT also includes a shutdown fix to allow our machines to shutdown without OpenHaltRestart/EvoReboot.

If you use this DSDT you can remove OpenHaltRestart/EvoReboot from your /Extra/Extensions folder, but you will need to add OSXRestart.kext by MasterChief.

I have checked mm67's DSDT against the code for an original Vanilla DSDT made from an acpidump in Linux for our GA-EP45-DS3L with BIOS F11b and tweaked the DSDT specifically for it. So this should work for anyone else running their hacks on the GA-EP45-DS3L.

Thiagomorales has added to it networking and a revised HDEF method by THe KiNG for audio. Note: It doesn't contain any code for video cards.

I have removed any CPU specific speedstep data from this DSDT and attached it here for anyone with the GA-EP45-DS3L with F11b BIOS to try.

Note: This DSDT will probably be amended/updated in the future so keep an eye out for any updates.

EDIT: I have just changed this to v2 as Thiagomorales spotted the network option was in the wrong place. For now, I have removed the networking in the DSDT. So as it doesn't include either video or networking I recommend adding the following to your com.apple.Boot.plist.

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

to allow the booter to auto inject them at boot. Note: This is dependent of what version of Booter you are using. If you find it doesn't work with Chameleon v2 RC3, then you can use PC-EFI v10.5 (see here for more info).

Can i use it also for my P35-DS3P? Thx!

I'm interested in seeing what changes you've made personally blackosx to your dsdt than what this guide originally started out with.

It's a bit hard to put my last 6 weeks research in to one post. But this new DSDT is based on mm67's work, not mine. I used my learned knowledge to help tweak it

To show you the comparison,

I have attached my original DSDT which I took from an acpidump in Linux on November 1st.

DSDT_r1_GBT_GBTUACPI_1000_MSFT_100000C.dsl.zip

And here's that absolute latest one, which is from all the hard work by mm67 with tweaks made for us.

dsdt.dsl.zip

I looked at that Gigabyte dsdt fix thread, and it is quite a bit to take in. Right now I'm trying to find the individual pieces of code that I could possibly insert into my dsdt. e.g. where is the exact fix for the alu kb and the shutdown/restart fix. Furthermore, what's the change in the HDEF implementation? and what benefits are to be had in the restart/shutdown method? Is it faster?

I am v. busy at the moment and haven't got time to detail it, but the alu. keyboard fix is described by mm67 in the Gigabyte DSDT Fix thread, and the shutdown fix is due to the revised PTS method.

Lastly, I'm very interested in how some people are shaving time from they're startup. Is it simply a matter of cutting stuff from the dsdt? Or are they implementing things in an easier/better/quicker way?

Thanks for all the info.

Have a read of MasterChief's posts in the P5K Pro Thread towards the latest posts as he talks about what he's tried/doing. But essentially is down to DSDT, Kexts, and audio which can slow down the boot time.

Your support files used to work for me. The updated one don't work. Is there a link to download the old support files?

I have put back the link for v2.2 Support Files on the front page for you.

for waking up the computer, i can do it through bluetooth (even apple mouse/keyboard)

however, Apple Keyboard (one with numpad) does not wake the computer even the wired mouse can't.

but if i plug in the mouse to a seperate port, it does wake up.

but the wired numeric pad keyboard still doesnt.

strange, blackosx, can you tthink of anything?

Not at the moment I cant. Sorry. What have you changed?

Can i use it also for my P35-DS3P? Thx!

I wouldn't recommend it as this thread and the new DSDT are dedicated to the GA-EP45-DS3L. The install method in the PDF guide and even the kexts in the Support Files is fairly generic. But the DSDT is tailored for this board.

LATEST NEWS - Chameleon RC4 has been released.

h ttp://chameleon.osx86.hu/articles/chameleon-20-rc4-is-out

Typical, I have been waiting for ages to update the BootCD and Support Files with the latest Chameleon, but last night I gave up waiting and uploaded a revised BootCD and Support Files anyway. Looks like I will have to do them again this weekend with Chameleon RC4. :D

EDIT: Support Files have been updated to v2.4 and now includes the boot file for Chameleon RC4

Hi, I just tried new chameleon rc4 boot file and after I installed it, GraphicsEnabler does not work anymore with my 9800gtx+ . I am using PC EFI v10.5 boot file and GraphicsEnablers works for me. Am I missing something? Thx

After posting about Chameleon RC4, I have finally returned home and just installed it on my hack.

It brings a host of new features and fixes, for instance: Fixed hibernation, option to hide partitions from displaying at boot, option to select PCiroot value for device injection of video & network, CPU recognition..

Read more at: h ttp://chameleon.osx86.hu/articles/chameleon-20-rc4-is-out

To install, download the Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin.tar package and copy the boot file from the i386 folder in to the root of your Cham partition, replacing the previous boot file.

You can now remove PlatformUUID.kext from /E/E, and the SMUUID key/string from your SMBIOS.plist. Chameleon now injects this data for us but it uses a different value to the UUID number of your HDD that we used in the install guide. As a result though I found iTunes loads as if it's the first run asking you to accept the Terms & Conditions. I also found other minor things in need of adjustment like my screen calibration profile was set to default and not my changed one.

For anyone having issues with video not being recognised properly when using GraphicsEnabler option in the com.apple.Boot.plist, make sure you have not configured video in either your DSDT or using a device (EFI) string.

Hi, I just tried new chameleon rc4 boot file and after I installed it, GraphicsEnabler does not work anymore with my 9800gtx+ . I am using PC EFI v10.5 boot file and GraphicsEnablers works for me. Am I missing something? Thx

Hi petrs99

You can now use a new booter option in the com.apple.Boot.plist for telling Chameleon which PCI bus your video card etc. is located on. By default it uses 0, but I have mine set to 1, like this.

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

See if that helps you.

hello and thanks

for this guide, blackosx.

i have a GA-EP45-DS3P board, booted with the latest boot-cd (1.06)

swapped disks, pressed f5 and got graphical garbage... no way to select the install dvd :-(

how can is solve this?? i use a retail SL install dvd.

when i dont press f5 after disk swapping, only return, the label of the boot-cd

changes to "mac_hfs" but pressing return brings the "mach_kernel not found" message to the top...

could anyone please help me with this?

hello and thanks

for this guide, blackosx.

i have a GA-EP45-DS3P board, booted with the latest boot-cd (1.06)

swapped disks, pressed f5 and got graphical garbage... no way to select the install dvd :-(

how can is solve this?? i use a retail SL install dvd.

when i dont press f5 after disk swapping, only return, the label of the boot-cd

changes to "mac_hfs" but pressing return brings the "mach_kernel not found" message to the top...

could anyone please help me with this?

Hi polluxx2008

Are you using an ATI video card? As video cards can cause problems with the BootCD.

Pressing F5 without swapping discs will only show you your HD, with at this point doesn't contain OS X, hence the mach_kernel not found error.

Hi polluxx2008

Are you using an ATI video card? As video cards can cause problems with the BootCD.

Pressing F5 without swapping discs will only show you your HD, with at this point doesn't contain OS X, hence the mach_kernel not found error.

im using a nvidia video card at the moment (geforce 8600gt) but i will put my

ati xt2600hd back in again.... might that help?

im using a nvidia video card at the moment (geforce 8600gt) but i will put my

ati xt2600hd back in again.... might that help?

No. Keep with the nVidia card. I was asking as an ATI card could be causing the problem.

But if you have been using your 8600GT and it's not working then I'm not sure why your are experiencing a graphic glitch.

No. Keep with the nVidia card. I was asking as an ATI card could be causing the problem.

but i want to use the ati later on, because im not satisfied with the nvidia....

anyway.. how can i boot the install dvd??

i have a ga-ep445-ds3P , not L - but this should work with your guidxe as well, right?

i also updated to the latest bios. chose the latest boot-cd.. and

use a retail SL install dvd....

but i want to use the ati later on, because im not satisfied with the nvidia....

anyway.. how can i boot the install dvd??

i have a ga-ep445-ds3P , not L - but this should work with your guidxe as well, right?

i also updated to the latest bios. chose the latest boot-cd.. and

use a retail SL install dvd....

Have you tried it with the ATI card anyway, just out of interest?

Maybe it's a resolution problem with my theme? Can you try plugging your monitor in to the second DVI port?

mmm.. then I can't think what I could be..

Would you mind trying my v1.04 BootCD to see if that's the same?

http://www.mediafire.com/?mq4y4jmgmyj

ok, just tried.... doesnt work either... :blink:

ok, just tried.... doesnt work either... :D

i recently noticed that it works with the 10.5.6. install, dvd, though....

hm, i guess the install dvd isnt ok...