[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

thanks again for your excellent effort at steering our ships through this ambiguous storm, blackosx! Just a minor comment... question. I recently updated my system to 10.6.2, and added the most recent updates to E/E on my Chameleon partition, like EvOreboot and the new fakesmc. Redid dsdt with the proper pin configs for functional sound out, all seems well in hackintoshworld. One minor problem remains ... my bittorrent client (transmission) is no longer able to open whichever port it wants (it says NAT traversal uses either NAT-PMP or UPnP). Ethernet as such works fine, but I have a feeling this might be related to Bonjour not quite working correctly. I'm still using that brute-force Bonjour script at startup, but something about it just isn't working. Other macs on the network can't connect to me, and now, I can't open ports on the router.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here? The router ports were being opened btw before I did the 10.6.1-->10.6.2 upgrade.

SOrry to be so vague... but maybe soeone has an idea. Possibly a better Bonjour fix that I've overlooked??

thanks!!

m

thanks again for your excellent effort at steering our ships through this ambiguous storm, blackosx! Just a minor comment... question. I recently updated my system to 10.6.2, and added the most recent updates to E/E on my Chameleon partition, like EvOreboot and the new fakesmc. Redid dsdt with the proper pin configs for functional sound out, all seems well in hackintoshworld. One minor problem remains ... my bittorrent client (transmission) is no longer able to open whichever port it wants (it says NAT traversal uses either NAT-PMP or UPnP). Ethernet as such works fine, but I have a feeling this might be related to Bonjour not quite working correctly. I'm still using that brute-force Bonjour script at startup, but something about it just isn't working. Other macs on the network can't connect to me, and now, I can't open ports on the router.

Hi muckler.

I don't know. I haven't tried running Transmission since upgrading to 10.6.2 on my system. Maybe try running it without Bonjour running?

As for your other Bonjour issues, you can try BitShovellers Realtek driver? have a read here. I haven't tried it as it installs to /S/L/E but if it works and it's the only option then try it.

I will try and runs some tests on my system when I get a chance to see if I have the same issues as you.

Remove your current Extensions.mkext out of /Extra and drag your Extensions folder from /Extra on to Kext Utility to create a brand new Extensions.mkext. Don't worry about /S/L/E - HDAEnabler won't be in there (unless you have added it?)

Using Extensions.mkext is optional and most people use as it helps to speed up boot time, but you don't need to use one. Try deleting yours and booting without it if you like?

Thanks! This saves a lot of time while trying with kexts. I will just repair permissions and forget the .mkexts :)

Here is the latest log. but still no sound...

only the trimmed LegacyHDA.kext is present.. any other ideas? I will try finally the DSDT approach.

Also another point: I have a mint SL 10.6.1 installation [not server] I am afraid if I upgrade to 10.6.2 I will lose the sound [MB= GA-EP43-DS3L, made according to this guide]

kernel.log.rtf

post-307057-1259256267_thumb.png

Thanks! This saves a lot of time while trying with kexts. I will just repair permissions and forget the .mkexts ;)

Here is the latest log. but still no sound...

only the trimmed LegacyHDA.kext is present.. any other ideas? I will try finally the DSDT approach.

Also another point: I have a mint SL 10.6.1 installation [not server] I am afraid if I upgrade to 10.6.2 I will lose the sound [MB= GA-EP43-DS3L, made according to this guide]

As the guide, if you have 'Ignore ownership on this volume' ticked in the get info window of the Cham partition, then you don't even have to worry about permissions :( (That's one of the reasons why I wrote about this method as it's easy)..

Your audio won't work without the DSDT patch.

Your audio won't work without the DSDT patch.

This is what I suspected.. but the DSDT seems a tedious task. I opened one of your files :unsure:

where do you get all these parameters from? starting with the CPUs, HPET,.. you name it.. I was stunned.

This is what I suspected.. but the DSDT seems a tedious task. I opened one of your files :)

where do you get all these parameters from? starting with the CPUs, HPET,.. you name it.. I was stunned.

Download my 'DSDT Guide for GA-EP45-DS3L v1.4' from here and see how easy it is :unsure:

If your power button is not working, try this:

Decompile dsdt.aml, edit dsdt.dsl and look for this:

Device (PWRB)

{

Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0C"))

Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)

{

Return (0x0B)

}

}

Substitute "_HID" by "_CID" and save the change. It should be like this:

Device (PWRB)

{

Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C0C"))

Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)

{

Return (0x0B)

}

}

Compile dsdt.dsl and put dsdt.aml in root or Cham/Extra/. Now your power button will work just as a mac's power button.

Sorry if this has been posted before, anywhere.

Enjoy.

Edit: New fakesmc.kext, Evoreboot.kext ante Netkas 10.5 Efi. Is it necessary to change these files? Is it worth? Sorry for the bad English...

blackosx,

Thanks for your question. I edited my original post (though it's still shown in a reply). I am very thankful that what happened to my drive was a false alarm. The post to go look at Seagate's website opened a flood gate of information about the faulty firmware my hard drive had. It was a time bomb waiting to go off. The drive was not faulty, it spun up when powered, did not click or make any inappropriate noises, but would not be seen by any motherboard or BIOS.

Seagate gave me a case number, transferred me to their i365 Data Recovery business, I drove the drive one hour to a local lab, and picked up the drive 27 hours later ready to go. I had to reinstall Chameleon to get it to boot but that's all I did and everything was as if the fiasco never happened. I never knew firmware on a hard drive was sometimes faulty. I guess I should have registered my drive with them and 'maybe' I would have been sent an email informing me of the risk and advising me to update the firmware before a failure occurred. Maybe.

Sunday 7:45am - lock up

Sunday 8:00am - no other motherboards/BIOS reading the drive

Sunday 8:15am - vomiting because I had no backup and the data lost would either be very difficult to recreate or impossible to recreate (vacation pictures)

Sunday - research

Monday 8:30am - call Seagate, got case number, transferred to i365

Monday 10:00am - drive the hard drive to local i365 lab

Tuesday 12:00pm - found out drive was fixed, all data intact, just a firmware issue

Tuesday 1:00pm - drive in my possession

Tuesday 3:00pm - drive cloned, Chameleon reinstalled, Time Machine backup started

I'm in much less of a hurry to switch to 10.6 but when I do, I'll be back to read the latest and greatest.

I never knew firmware on a hard drive was sometimes faulty.

Hi squidwardd. No, I wouldn't have thought that either.

It's good to read your story had a happy ending. I also see your amended previous post with good advice. Hopefully you have thanked mm67 for his help?

But a good lesson for everyone. If you're not in the habit of doing a regular backup, you would be if you ever lost precious data due to a hard drive failure! So go and do some backing up :D

If your power button is not working, try this:

Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0C"))

Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C0C"))

Hi jamonda

Yes, that DSDT change has been about before but I had forgotten about it so thanks for mentioning it again. It does allow the power button on the case to put the computer to sleep, the same way as pressing Command+Option+Eject on a real Mac's white keyboard. It's damn quick, near enough instant, it makes me wonder if the OS has time to initiate sleep, but it does! I use an older third party keyboard with a power button on it and when pressed it brings up a dialog window with four buttons with the options for Restart, Sleep, Cancel, Shutdown. So I never use the power button on the case to put the computer to sleep.

I am trying to learn all this DSDT stuff and even though the change to _CID has this effect, I still think the correct code should read _HID. Anyway, that's something for me to try and learn about further. :)

Edit: New fakesmc.kext, Evoreboot.kext ante Netkas 10.5 Efi. Is it necessary to change these files? Is it worth? Sorry for the bad English...

I recommended using the new updates that come out to keep your system as up to date as possible. You don't need to, but the OSX86 scene has been moving along fairly quickly recently and I always think it's best to adopt the latest techniques.

Hi jamonda

Yes, that DSDT change has been about before but I had forgotten about it so thanks for mentioning it again. It does allow the power button on the case to put the computer to sleep, the same way as pressing Command+Option+Eject on a real Mac's white keyboard. It's damn quick, near enough instant, it makes me wonder if the OS has time to initiate sleep, but it does! I use an older third party keyboard with a power button on it and when pressed it brings up a dialog window with four buttons with the options for Restart, Sleep, Cancel, Shutdown. So I never use the power button on the case to put the computer to sleep.

I am trying to learn all this DSDT stuff and even though the change to _CID has this effect, I still think the correct code should read _HID. Anyway, that's something for me to try and learn about further. :)

I recommended using the new updates that come out to keep your system as up to date as possible. You don't need to, but the OSX86 scene has been moving along fairly quickly recently and I always think it's best to adopt the latest techniques.

Thank you for your prompt response. As always, I will follow your advice.

I read somewhere in this thread that you are using PC EFI 10.5 boot file and that you don't patch DSDT for video and ethernet anymore. Is that right? Can you show me where? Is it really the best choice using the GraphicsEnabler and EthernetBuiltIn keys in boot.plist instead of DSDT patching?

Thank you for your prompt response. As always, I will follow your advice.

I read somewhere in this thread that you are using PC EFI 10.5 boot file and that you don't patch DSDT for video and ethernet anymore. Is that right? Can you show me where? Is it really the best choice using the GraphicsEnabler and EthernetBuiltIn keys in boot.plist instead of DSDT patching?

I have used the boot files from both Chameleon and Netkas' PC EFI. I wanted to try out the new auto device recognition/injection features of the bootloaders to that's why I removed video & ethernet from DSDT but I might add them back in at a later date. I don't think one is better than the other, it's all down to personal preference.

Hi, blackosx.

Can you please explain what do I have to do to get automatic sleep working?

I also have a problem with hibernation. The system sleeps but doesn't wake.

Thanks.

I don't know top of my head. Have a read through this thread as sleep has been discussed many times. It has a lot to do with USB devices not allowing the system to sleep.

All I know is my system sleeps and wakes fine. As does auto sleep. I never use hibernation so I can't comment on that at present.

See this: http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/25318863...ck-doesnt-sleep

Thank you for your guides. Instead of a separate partition for Chameleon, I followed portions of your older guide for installing Chameleon onto an EFI partition. I got it running on a GA-P35-DS3L e4500 OC'ed to 2.93 in BIOS with my own DSDT and ethernet and video being inserted into com.apple. The CPU is showing up as 2.6 MHz though.

Couple of weird points:

1) Ethernet worked from the start, but stopped, after I disabled wake on lan options in the bios. I was dealing with win 7 hibernate issues and didn't realize disabling these would affect my built-in ethernet adapter in OS X. So enabling those options fixed that issue.

2) I haven't installed Bonjour yet since I'm not sure whether I should put the ifconfig into EFI or some not so random folder on my main OS X partition. Any suggestions?

Other than that I'm holding off on applying the fixed from the GA DSDT thread. Only fix I applied was the CMOS bug one.

blackosx,

Need your help and advise.

My SL 10.6.2 was running fine till I tried to used a USB stick to boot chameleon instead of Cham partition.

Now booting from Cham some times encountered KP ( blue or black screen just before booting into SL)

Question:

None of the partitions are set active as shown in fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 (see attachment)

Is this normal?

Partition 2,3&4 shown unused in fdisk whereas diskutil list clearly shown Partition 2=Cham, Partition 3=Snowleopard, Partition 4=SLClone, Partition 5=Snow_Data. (See attachment)

Is this normal? If so, how to set partition 2 or 3 or 4 active since they are listed unused?

TQ

post-25748-1259596848_thumb.png

I haven't installed Bonjour yet since I'm not sure whether I should put the ifconfig into EFI or some not so random folder on my main OS X partition. Any suggestions?

Other than that I'm holding off on applying the fixed from the GA DSDT thread. Only fix I applied was the CMOS bug one.

Well done. For bonjour, I can suggest you read this thread which shows you have a choice. But personally, I still use the ifconfig method (Sontone's package installer from 29th October 2009).

blackosx,

Need your help and advise.

My SL 10.6.2 was running fine till I tried to used a USB stick to boot chameleon instead of Cham partition.

Now booting from Cham some times encountered KP ( blue or black screen just before booting into SL)

Question:

None of the partitions are set active as shown in fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 (see attachment)

Is this normal?

Partition 2,3&4 shown unused in fdisk whereas diskutil list clearly shown Partition 2=Cham, Partition 3=Snowleopard, Partition 4=SLClone, Partition 5=Snow_Data. (See attachment)

Is this normal? If so, how to set partition 2 or 3 or 4 active since they are listed unused?

TQ

Booting from a USB stick should not change anything on your Cham partition so I don't understand why you can't boot from it all the time. And if you can boot from it sometimes then the Cham partition is working. So fdisk won't show you anything. The fact that you get a black or blue screen just before going in to SL is not good and something must have changed somewhere?

Can you boot with the BootCD and run Disk Utility from the Snow Leopard DVD to repair your disk before. Or boot in to Single User mode and run fsck ?

Well done. For bonjour, I can suggest you read this thread which shows you have a choice. But personally, I still use the ifconfig method (Sontone's package installer from 29th October 2009).

Booting from a USB stick should not change anything on your Cham partition so I don't understand why you can't boot from it all the time. And if you can boot from it sometimes then the Cham partition is working. So fdisk won't show you anything. The fact that you get a black or blue screen just before going in to SL is not good and something must have changed somewhere?

Can you boot with the BootCD and run Disk Utility from the Snow Leopard DVD to repair your disk before. Or boot in to Single User mode and run fsck ?

TQ for your prompt reply.

I have tried running fsck in Single User mode. It says "The volume Snowleopard appears to be OK"

In your system, under terminal if you type fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 tthen p, does it show that all partitions (Cham, Snowleopard, etc) are unused except 1 (EFI) ?

TQ again for your time.

Have a nice day.

TQ for your prompt reply.

I have tried running fsck in Single User mode. It says "The volume Snowleopard appears to be OK"

In your system, under terminal if you type fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 tthen p, does it show that all partitions (Cham, Snowleopard, etc) are unused except 1 (EFI) ?

TQ again for your time.

Have a nice day.

Here's the result of diskutil list, then fdisk -e /dev/rdisk1 followed by p from my system.

Note, my Snow Leopard install is disk1

post-331032-1259659124_thumb.png

And here's Rammjet's Fdisk guide if you haven't found it already.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22844

Here's the result of diskutil list, then fdisk -e /dev/rdisk1 followed by p from my system.

Note, my Snow Leopard install is disk1

post-331032-1259659124_thumb.png

And here's Rammjet's Fdisk guide if you haven't found it already.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22844

Thanks blackosx. This confirm my suspicion that there is something wrong with my setup.

Have gone through Rammjet's Fdisk guide as well as well as some others but didn't find any solution to my problem.

Any idea how I can fix the problem so fdisk show up the proper partition list like yours?

Thanks for your time.

Have a good day.

BlackOSX,

Do you think you can point me to a guide where I can put SpeedStep in the DSDT.aml file (If there is such guide)

and Bonjour on DSDT.aml?

I'm running on 64-Bit right now, my geek bench scores rose around 1000 points when I used 64-bit kernel and 64-bit benchmark tool. I just wanna see if i can get those 2 for 64-bit.

Do you think you can point me to a guide where I can put SpeedStep in the DSDT.aml file (If there is such guide)

and Bonjour on DSDT.aml?

For SpeedStep you want this guide and I wrote a simple post to try and help.

So far, nobody has enabled bonjour in DSDT.

I'm running on 64-Bit right now, my geek bench scores rose around 1000 points when I used 64-bit kernel and 64-bit benchmark tool. I just wanna see if i can get those 2 for 64-bit.

I use vanilla SpeedStep and the ifconfig solution for Bonjour and I can run in 64-bit mode perfectly.

Thanks blackosx. This confirm my suspicion that there is something wrong with my setup.

Have gone through Rammjet's Fdisk guide as well as well as some others but didn't find any solution to my problem.

Any idea how I can fix the problem so fdisk show up the proper partition list like yours?

Thanks for your time.

Have a good day.

Other than what's shown in Rammjet's guide or contained in Chameleon's forum I don't know much about Fdisk. But I do know it's a very powerful tool and you can easily mess things up if you don't know what you're doing with it. So sorry, I can't really help you. Hopefully someone else can thrown you a lifeline.

Thanks BlackOSX, It says it's not for ICH10R, I couldn't follow it.

Do you know any fixes that to make the USB keep the power on when the computers in sleep? I think the external harddrive/usb flashdrive issue fixes that, but my Bluetooth keyboard/mouse won't wake the system neither the adapter is kept on when sleep.

do you know any solutions?

Other than what's shown in Rammjet's guide or contained in Chameleon's forum I don't know much about Fdisk. But I do know it's a very powerful tool and you can easily mess things up if you don't know what you're doing with it. So sorry, I can't really help you. Hopefully someone else can thrown you a lifeline.

Thanks for your advise.

After browsing through the net for fdisk info, the nearest command that can repair the MRB of rdiskX is

"fdisk -u /dev/rdiskX".

I would appreciate any feedbacks from those who has used that to repair MRB and is it relevant in my case?

Thanks a million.

Have a nice day.