[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Building a hackintosh is a hobby and a learning experience. If you want a fully working OS X straight away then buy a real Mac.

...first issue was the install dvd, then the graphics card

(the install didnt start with my ATI card) and now i am stuck with that DSDT stuff because it doesnt work

as it should, as decsribed in the guide....

This guide was written for the GA-EP45-DS3L which you don't have, and the front page of this thread I did put a list of requirements which includes a purchased Retail Mac OS X install DVD which you didn't start by using, and there's a big note in red about using ATI video cards.

So are you surprised is hasn't worked flawlessley?

...and now i am stuck with that DSDT stuff because it doesnt work

as it should, as decsribed in the guide...

So how exactly didn't it work as the guide?

The front page on this thread also reads (in bold and coloured red to highlight it)

"Make sure you've read this thread & a tested DSDT.aml on a 10.5.X system before attempting this install."

Now I have tried to help others who follow this guide by including a DSDT for this motherboard on the BootCD and in the SupportFiles, but it won't be of use to you because of your different board.

If you can be patient then we can work through your issues one at a time to help you progress with this :thumbsup_anim:

ok... so i put all the necessary kexts into its folder, left DSDT out, used the 32bit

com.apple.boot.plist - kernel panic right at the start (as soon as the grey boot screen appears).

is this because the bootloader needs the dsdt.aml file?

Okay, if it kernel panics without a DSDT then you can rule out the DSDT as the cause and if your install boots from the BootCD then that's good which makes me believe you are missing the boot file.

Have you read the Common Problem section of the front page?

Questions that get posted time and time again....

Q. "I get a Kernel Panic directly after selecting to boot Snow Leopard from Chameleon"

A. from page 17 of the guide.....The most common Kernel Panic is the one immediately after boot which is normally caused by the lack of a Snow Leopard boot file. You need either the Chameleon RC3 boot file or Netkas' PC EFI v10 boot file.

Can you double check you have replaced your boot file on the root of the Cham partition? It will be with the RC4 version now.

ok, which one should i use, cham rc3 boot file or pc efi s?

plus, there are newer versions around from pc efi - i guess i read something about 14 or 15...

what about those?

ok, i replaced it with the "boot" file from cham rc3.... YEAH!!!

it booted with correct resolution!!!

im getting close... now... sound, graphics and everything else

ok, which one should i use, cham rc3 boot file or pc efi s?

plus, there are newer versions around from pc efi - i guess i read something about 14 or 15...

what about those?

Yes, apart from the newly released Chameleon RC4, PC EFI V10.5 is out also. PC EFI is more friendly with ATI video cards so if you plan to use your ATI card then go for that. But for the purpose of booting your install, either will do for now. I use Chameleon v2 RC4.

EDIT: Great. Well done :(

For your sound (like I said here) you will need a different LegacyHDA.kext that what we use here. But first you are going to need to have a DSDT patched with ALC889A, then find a LegacyHDA.kext also for ALC889A (you can find that on tmongkol's thread)

yes, but now i need the dsdt file for my mobo. i experienced the cmos reset bug, too :-(

Yes. Go back to reading my DSDT Guide and take your time. Get on a Windows install, get the ACPIpatcher, gather your BIOS file from Gigabyte (if it's an .exe file then double click it to extract the BIOS file). Then try to build patch your DSDT using the selected fixes and audio patch. Then manually apply the CMOS reset.

If it doesn't work first time, don't worry, try again.

i already did that, but it wont compile :(

and how do i apply the reset fix? as i remember this was alredayx imnplemented in cham rc4, right?

So your original Gigabyte BIOS file with just the fixes won't compile? Have you tried with just the Local0 and WAK fixes? If it still won't compile, look through the log for the errors and try to identify what it's failing on.

The CMOS reset fix can be applied as page 6 of the DSDT guide. Chameleon RC4 doesn't include a fix for it, it has to be done on the DSDT (or you can try to find a kext which apparently does it), but I would stick with the DSDT fix.

What version of BIOS are you running on your GA-EP45-DS3P? I'll see If I can do it for you (I am feeling in a good mood):)

i looked at the log but couldnt read anything out of it...

bios? the latest, its version 9c (beta)

patching with only wak and local0 fix did work

ok.. i left some things out (dsdg fix, hdef audio and stuff) and now it compiled... will put it in extra...

but please dont drop the good mood youre in ;-)

bios? the latest, its version 9c (beta)

ok.. i left some things out (dsdg fix, hdef audio and stuff) and now it compiled... will put it in extra...

but please dont drop the good mood youre in ;-)

Lol...

I have compiled one for you from your EP45DS3P BIOS 9c file with ALC889A audio and CMOS reset fix.

I see you have managed to do it for yourself, well done. But if yours doesn't work then try this one.

polluxx2008_DSDT.zip

dont "worry"... i did NOT manage... i tried to use the other graphics card againe, the ATI XT2600HD...

so in the patcher i just chose the other card model, compiled it, replaced the old dsdt.aml with the new one and then

changed the graphics card. sounds logical, doesnt it? well.. i got a kernel panic at boot. and even with -x option, the

desktop wont appear ;)

plus, the cmos reset is still there... no fix with the dsdt.aml. im afraif, the bootloader doesnt even load it :D

so to fix this the wayx would be to inject something into pc efi 10.5 and replace my boot file with thatm, right?

if so, why is there the possibility to choose ati cards within the patcher if they dont work anyway?

hm, sound doesnt work - i need the legacyhda.kext in addition to the dsdt-patch , right?

hm, i found a legacyhda.kext for ALC889a thats supposed to work with SL - but i doesnt :(

do oyu have any idea where i can get this?

hm?

ok, my status is the following: used your dsdt.aml. reset bug seems to be fixed.

graphics card works but i will change it to my ati xt2600hd later... but i will complete my install first.

sound doesnt work, i think i need a legacyhda in addition to the dsdt-patch but cannot find a suitable

one :-(

what about other fixes in need? time machine? other stuff?

mayber you can take a look at my boot-partition via teamviewer..!?

ok, my status is the following: used your dsdt.aml. reset bug seems to be fixed.

graphics card works but i will change it to my ati xt2600hd later... but i will complete my install first.

sound doesnt work, i think i need a legacyhda in addition to the dsdt-patch but cannot find a suitable

one :-(

what about other fixes in need? time machine? other stuff?

mayber you can take a look at my boot-partition via teamviewer..!?

It's good the DSDT is loading and working and the CMOS reset bug has been fixed.

For audio, try adding one of these LegacyHDA.kexts from tmongkol's thread in to Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions folder.

series_of_LegacyHDA_889__ALC889a_.zip

For video on my hacks, I have only used nVdia cards and have no experience with ATI cards. You can add your Ethernet & Video in to your DSDT but I now prefer to use the device injection in Chameleon RC4 to inject them. To do that, you will need to have the following in your com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>EthernetBuiltin</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

If it doesn't work then you might want to add

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

as by default Chameleon uses PciRoot 0, and the new Chameleon RC4 is supposed to have better support for ATI cards.

thanks so much, the legacyhda works. before i edit the com.apple.Boot.plist, i have a few questions:

- PciRoot is already set to '1' - should i leave it then?

- ethernet is basically working. is the "EthernetBuiltIn - Yes"-option something like the UUID35 fix, so that time machine

and probably some other other problems are fixed?

btw: with the newest chameleon, dsdt and com.apple.boot.plist,

may i drop some of the extensions? at this moment, i got:

fakesmc

legacyhda

nullcpu...

orangeiconfix

osxrestart

sleepenabler

thanks.

plx

thanks so much, the legacyhda works. before i edit the com.apple.Boot.plist, i have a few questions:

- PciRoot is already set to '1' - should i leave it then?

- ethernet is basically working. is the "EthernetBuiltIn - Yes"-option something like the UUID35 fix, so that time machine

and probably some other other problems are fixed?

No problem, all thanks goes to tmongkol for the LegacyHDA :(

Most Gigabyte boards seem to prefer PciRoot 1 so leave that for now.

I guess your ethernet is working out of the box, as mine does. In that case if you haven't got 'EthernetBuiltIn' key/string in your com.apple.Boot.plist then leave it out. However, you might find bonjour networking isn't working, in which case you might want to runs Sonotone's ifconfig installer from here.

For your UUID Error 35 fix, you can use rekursors fix modified RC4 boot file (yes, you'll have to change your boot file again).

EDIT: Your kexts....

fakesmc = NEED

legacyhda = NEED

osxrestart = NEED

orangeiconfix = NOT SURE AS YOU HAVE ICH10R, BUT I THINK YOU WILL

nullcpu.. & sleepenabler = SEE BELOW

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is a disabler which blocks AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

This used to be required to run OS X on your PC, and if you installed NullCPUPowerManagement.kext then it was also required to use SleepEnabler.kext to allow your system to enter sleep.

However, it is no longer required to use NullCPUPowerManagement.kext to block AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement as long as you have a DSDT patched with HPET which yours is. Note: Removing them will result in your CPU temps being higher!

But you can lower your CPU temps again by activating Intel's Speedstep technology which is on your CPU. To do this, requires a bit of work, but it's worth it. :)

If you want to look in to this then read the following here.

But note, the speedstep is an ongoing development and even my notes in the above link are starting to look dated and for the latest info I advise you read FormerlyKnownAs' thread.

No problem, all thanks goes to tmongkol for the LegacyHDA ;)

Most Gigabyte boards seem to prefer PciRoot 1 so leave that for now.

I guess your ethernet is working out of the box, as mine does. In that case if you haven't got 'EthernetBuiltIn' key/string in your com.apple.Boot.plist then leave it out. However, you might find bonjour networking isn't working, in which case you might want to runs Sonotone's ifconfig installer from here.

For your UUID Error 35 fix, you can rekursors fix modified RC4 boot file (yes, you'll have to change your boot file again).

EDIT: Your kexts....

fakesmc = NEED

legacyhda = NEED

osxrestart = NEED

orangeiconfix = NOT SURE AS YOU HAVE ICH10R, BUT I THINK YOU WILL

nullcpu.. & sleepenabler = SEE BELOW

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is a disabler which blocks AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

This used to be required to run OS X on your PC, and if you installed NullCPUPowerManagement.kext then it was also required to use SleepEnabler.kext to allow your system to enter sleep.

However, it is no longer required to use NullCPUPowerManagement.kext to block AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement as long as you have a DSDT patched with HPET which yours is. Note: Removing them will result in your CPU temps being higher!

But you can lower your CPU temps again by activating Intel's Speedstep technology which is on your CPU. To do this, requires a bit of work, but it's worth it. :P

If you want to look in to this then read the following.....

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1334977

well, i really dont know where to continue and HOW, because i have a running system

with my nvidia8600gt but i definitely want to change to the ati later. LATER, because now with

the ati i cant even boot with " -x " so theres no possibility to work on the installation w/out

the nvidia . so i think ill complete this install first. what do you think?

so, i have those 6 kexts, yout dsdt and your 32bit com.apple.Boot.plist and SMBIOS.

sleep doesnt work. restart doesnt work properly, too... :-(

the graphics card isnt recognized correctly. quartz extreme doesnt work yet.

what will be the next steps?

ok, ill get to that CPU thing later. ill try to leave out the two kexts.

btw: my dvd burner is making problems. seems like after booting into os x, the dvd burner has a problem.

it hangs after reboot and this seems to cause the sleep and restart problems, too. even my bios isnt able to find

it anymore :-(

ahm.. how was that again, when creating a hex code for display and graphics with efistudio - how do i

implement that into the boot-plist? as i remember, it is only one key and then the hex code as stringn, right?

if so, whats the name of the key again? EDIT:

oh, i have it, its "device-properties"... and i managed to get my graphics card running properly.

well, i really dont know where to continue and HOW, because i have a running system

with my nvidia8600gt but i definitely want to change to the ati later. LATER, because now with

the ati i cant even boot with " -x " so theres no possibility to work on the installation w/out

the nvidia.

I think you have to stick with your 8600GT as I don't think your XT2600HD will work. See here and in the wiki for 10.6 someone has posted the ATI 2600 doesn't work properly.

so i think ill complete this install first. what do you think?

so, i have those 6 kexts, yout dsdt and your 32bit com.apple.Boot.plist and SMBIOS.

Good idea.

For sleep and restart you will now have to search for forums for some answers.

Sleep is dependent on many things, video is one of them, also having hardware that behaves properly and allows the OS to enter sleep. Have a look here. For restart you will have to look at the OSXRestart thread.

the graphics card isnt recognized correctly. quartz extreme doesnt work yet.

Your 8600GT should be recognised by the

<string>Yes</string>

option in your com.apple.Boot.plist. If it's not, try changing the PciRoot value to 0.

what will be the next steps?

Once you have sorted your QE/CI, sleep, restart then all that's left is for you to enjoy your system. Then try to find a thread dedicated for your motherboard? as there's not much else I can help you with now. ;)

ok, ill get to that CPU thing later. ill try to leave out the two kexts.

Yeah, I don't think you need to worry about the speedstep thing until you have the rest of your system working. Leave NullIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext & Sleepenabler in your /E/E folder for now.

EDIT: Maybe it's down to the make of your DVD drive? You'll have to do some searching in the forums..

EDIT: For EFIStudio instructions, have a look at my install Guide PDF.

ok, i took the efi strings out of the boot.plist again, only using graphicsenabler and builtinethernet

with chameleon - works. but how cvan i verify, if the uuid 35 problem is solved?

plus, i have a very strange problem with my dvd burner - as soon as a disc is mounted, i have problems with

sleep, restart and shutdown...

ok, i took the efi strings out of the boot.plist again, only using graphicsenabler and builtinethernet

with chameleon - works. but how cvan i verify, if the uuid 35 problem is solved?

Open Terminal and type grep UUID /var/log/system.log then press return

This will list all occurences of UUID in the system log. When it returns nothing, you know the problem is sorted ;)

plus, i have a very strange problem with my dvd burner - as soon as a disc is mounted, i have problems with

sleep, restart and shutdown...

What make & model of DVD burner do you have and it is a SATA drive?

grep UUID /var/log/system.log returns "Binary file /var/log/system.log matches".

my dvd burner is from LG and the model name is GH22LS30.

As long as you don't get a long list of errors with the grep UUID... command then that's fine.

As for your DVD drive, I found this

Hi, blackosx.

I followed your instructions to solve UUID generation with RC4.

However, Chameleon is not injecting the UUID number I put in the SistemID key in boot.plist.

Can you post the Rek's boot file you're using?

Thanks

For video on my hacks, I have only used nVdia cards and have no experience with ATI cards. You can add your Ethernet & Video in to your DSDT but I now prefer to use the device injection in Chameleon RC4 to inject them. To do that, you will need to have the following in your com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>EthernetBuiltin</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<string>Yes</string>

If it doesn't work then you might want to add

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

Quick question blackosx!

You mentioned above using Chameleon for Ethernet and Video now. Do any settings change (in the Graphic tab and Network tab) using Koalala’s ACPI Patcher to Build a DSDT.aml file? Or just follow your PDF instructions?

Thanks!

John

A note regarding Chameleon RC4's system-id patch, which has allowed us to remove PlatformUUID.kext and the SMUUID key/string in our com.apple.Boot.plist.

It seems to be generating the same hardware UUID of DF557FA2-C304-556B-A442-960AB835CB5D for everyone who uses it. This doesn't seem to be a problem with regards to your machine working, but does leave it easy for some software to identify all our machines easily as the same or AKA, hackintosh. If you want to get around this issue then here is what is available now.

Rekursor has modified Chameleon RC4's boot file to allow us to choose what UUID key gets injected at boot. You will need to download the Binaries from his post, unarchive it and use the boot file from the /sym/i386/ folder instead of the original Chameleon RC4 boot file.

Then to complete the process, you will need to add the following in to your com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>SystemID</key>

<string>Insert your required UUID here</string>

I just used the UUID code that I previously used with RC3, and how I described it in the guide.

Reboot your system and you will now see a new Hardware UUID reflected in System Profiler. You will notice, for instance, that itunes thinks it's the first run again, like when you originally upgraded to RC4.

New UUID is not in system profiler... still the generic one. I copied new boot and inserted new lines to plist

EDIT: BLAH nevermind i messed up. I have usb cham, and hd cham (jsut in case) copied to wrong cham. BUT now the uuid i put in plist, is not the same as in profiler. But its not the default one it was before.