[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Hello again, I'm back. Once again thank you to all for keeping this board alive. I am now in the process of updating my 10.5.7 setup to Snow Leopard and am running into a problem.

I used the USB method for Snow Leopard. I also have the DSDT setup. I configured the USB with all of the latest tweaks from Post #1. I installed Snow Leopard fine, rebooted into my 10.5.7 setup.

I then tried to install Chameleon 2.0-RC2-r640 to the EFI portion of my and it will not complete the installation. I think the issue is that my "new" Snow Leopard drive is a 1.5tb drive and from what I've read Chameleon RC2 only recognizes 1.0tb drives. Is that the issue? If not, why can't I install Chameleon RC2?

So I went to Chameleon's website and got the regular files and I figured I'd just terminal into the large drive and copy the files myself.

Well it won't let me do that either. When I do a diskutil list I get errors.

2009-11-21 22:38:41.172 diskutil[280:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

2009-11-21 22:38:41.349 DiskManagementTool[281:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Then I try to follow the instructions blackosx has in the 10.5.7 dual boot with EFI guide to copy the files to the EFI and the mount_hfs command errors out

sudo -s

mkdir /Volumes/EFI

mount_hfs /dev/disk1s1/Volumes/EFI

leads to

bash-3.2# mount_hfs /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/EFI

mount_hfs: Invalid argument

(yes, my large drive is disk1 and partition 1 is EFI)

So, I'm not sure about the UUID issue. Maybe Chameleon won't install because the target drive is 1.5tb, and I don't seem to be able to mount the EFI partition in order to copy and paste.

I would greatly appreciate any and all help please.

One other question while I'm asking because I don't know if it is significant. When I did the 10.5.7 install, I installed to 10.5.4 and did the Combo update from the "old" drive to the "new" drive before my first boot up into the new drive. So I tried this with the 10.6.2 Combo update on the "new" 1.5tb drive after installing Snow Leopard from the USB stick. And it wouldn't let me. Some error about only being able to install to the Startup Volume. Is that normal or does it show that my Snow Leopard install didn't really work even though I got through the process without errors?

With what for god sake.

be specific because asking for help without stating the problem isn't going to get you very far

I have a problem with video card

I have the NVIDIA 8600GT 256 MB

in System Profiler write 8800GT 512MB not my card

I did exactly the guide settings from here of blackosx

And that does not affect and I have no QE / CI

What should I do?

With what for god sake.

be specific because asking for help without stating the problem isn't going to get you very far

What should I do?

What should I do?

I assume your using chameleon to auto detect your card rather than hardcoding it in your dsdt.aml

I have the exact same card as you and when chameleon detects it it detects the wrong ram size

which is why i hard coded it into my dsdt.aml

I try to post my problem again, and hope someone will understand it,

I'm sorry for my English but this is what I use along with Google Translate

I have a problem with my video card

What should I do?

If you have a Seagate 7200.11 hard drive and SD15 firmware, please go to Seagate's website and update the firmware of your drive BEFORE it fails on you. One symptom of failure is that your drive is no longer recognized by any computer's BIOS.

Also, BACKUP YOUR DATA. Do it now, do it often. I was very fortunate that my drive was repaired by force flashing the firmware by i365, a wholly owned subsidiary of Seagate.

Oh no, I need some really big help right now.

I do not know what to do.

I think I've lost everything. Everything. I'm freaking out.

OK, my last post told you my status. I have two hard drives a 1tb running 10.5.7 and a new 1.5tb trying to install 10.6.

I got everything set-up for the USB install, completed the install and rebooted back into 10.5.7 with my new 1.5tb "Mac" Volume.

As you can see from my previous post I couldn't get Chameleon to install. It would begin and then hang and the only way out was to Force Quit.

So I did some searching and thought maybe it was a UUID issue because of the 'diskutil list' error.

I thought I could copy the Chameleon files manually so I loaded up the 'ShowHiddenFilesInFinder' app included in the setup files.

I do not know what happened. But I rebooted my computer and now the main 10.5.7 hard drive IS NOT RECOGNIZED in the hard drive check portion of the BIOS. I tried it on another computer too and the same thing, it is not recognized.

I am totally freaking out.

Nothing is backed up. I had a Time Machine drive but removed it about a month ago when a different hard drive failed. It's gone. I never replaced it because I bought the new 1.5tb drive to be 10.6 and I was going to re-purpose the 'old' 1tb drive running 10.5.7 as my new Time machine drive once everything was working.

Is there any way at all for me to be able to access the files of this drive that is not being recognized on boot-up?????

If I attach it after booting up into a real Mac is it going to want to Initialize?

I really don't want to have to send this hard drive out for data recovery. I don't have $2000 and I don't have the time.

I had tried some of the manual install of Chameleon files but I was super careful to put in the correct disk number and partition number. Plus I am almost positive that I did that several reboots ago as I was testing the new drive.

Can I rebuild the "boot sector" of this drive without trashing the data? Maybe something got screwed up and it's not active or Chameleon is not working correctly?

I'm totally desperate. Please reply here but if you are in the US and can help, maybe I can call you to walk me through some things over the phone. Unfortunately we have an early Thanksgiving family get together today but this will not be far from my mind every second.

I would normally not post an email address but I need help. Remove all of the underscores and my email is e_b_a_y@s_c_h_o_p_l_e_r.com

Take a look here : http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board?board.id=ata_drives

In 6 months I have had 2 dead 1 Tb Barracuda disks. If you have this firmware problem then nothing is lost, with new firmware your disk will work again.

I try to post my problem again, and hope someone will understand it,

I'm sorry for my English but this is what I use along with Google Translate

I have a problem with my video card

What should I do?

Here is my DSDT.ISL file for you to look at.

Essentialy the fix is to insert a Method and Device entry for the 8600gts 256 meg card.

Here is the method and Device entry

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)
   {
       If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)
               {
                   /* 0000 */    0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44, 
                   /* 0008 */    0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B
               }))
       {
           If (LEqual (Arg1, One))
           {
               If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
               {
                   Store (Buffer (One)
                       {
                           0x03
                       }, Arg4)
                   Return (One)
               }

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))
               {
                   Return (One)
               }
           }
       }

Store (Buffer (One)
           {
               0x00
           }, Arg4)
       Return (Zero)
   }

Device (PEGP)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)
               Device (GFX0)
               {
                   Name (_ADR, Zero)
                   Name (_SUN, One)
                   Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Store (Package (0x16)
                           {
                               "@0,compatible", 
                               Buffer (0x0B)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,NVMac"
                               }, 

"@0,device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x08)
                               {
                                   "display"
                               }, 

"@0,name", 
                               Buffer (0x0F)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,Display-A"
                               }, 

"@1,compatible", 
                               Buffer (0x0B)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,NVMac"
                               }, 

"@1,device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x08)
                               {
                                   "display"
                               }, 

"@1,name", 
                               Buffer (0x0F)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,Display-B"
                               }, 

"NVCAP", 
                               Buffer (0x18)
                               {
                                   /* 0000 */    0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00, 
                                   /* 0008 */    0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x07, 
                                   /* 0010 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                               }, 

"VRAM,totalsize", 
                               Buffer (0x04)
                               {
                                   0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x10
                               }, 

"device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x0D)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,GeForce"
                               }, 

"model", 
                               Buffer (0x18)
                               {
                                   "nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS"
                               }, 

"rom-revision", 
                               Buffer (0x26)
                               {
                                   "nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS OpenGL Engine"
                               }
                           }, Local0)
                       DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                       Return (Local0)
                   }
               }
           }

Look at my file for an idea of where to where to put these snippets of code in your dsdt or modify the cpu and pstate values in my dsdt and use it.

dsdt.zip

where i found the file DSDT.ISL?

this same like dsdt.aml?

this what write on my dsdt.aml

NVDA,Display-A

its attached to my post above it is compiled using iaslme to make a dsdt.aml file and goes in your /Extra folder

but i get the feeling that if you don't understand even this basic part you probably have no business working with dsdt until you have read all of the guide regarding dsdt and gigabyte boards that blackosx links in his first post in this forum.

Million thanks for the clarification and encouragement. !

I had still the A..HDA.. kexts in the E/E, now I will keep only those ion the list and remove the tag as tmongkol's.

The Chameleon -v does not respond, after the update the keyboard seems to freeze until the logon appears, I have no idea what errors are logged anymore. It worked up and until 10.6.1 this morning. I had the Chameleon on top and the disk in the middle, arrows gave menus and the space the boot: ___ line

Hello blackosx,

Many thanks for your encouragement, but I still have no sound after the 10.6.2 upgrade on my GA-EP43-UD3L, everything was perfect with 10.6.1 though. Here is a screen shot of my kexts as you suggested. Do you have any idea where to look for my sound fix? :rolleyes:

Also the -v -x mode on startup became disabled after the upgrade. Have no idea anymore how the machine bots. The Keyboard is frozen until the Logon screen appears...

Many thanks iA

post-307057-1258916080_thumb.png

Does anyone know if the DSDT file contains specific CPU information? I made a hackintosh for a member of my family and we have nearly identical setups. Both systems use a Gigabye EP45-DS3L (and therefore same built-in audio) and the same Nvidia 9800GTX+ video card as well. The only difference is that he has a Core 2 Quad and I use a Core 2 Duo processor. Do you think he'd be able to use my DSDT file just fine or do I need to create the DSDT file on his computer for it to generate all the specific information for his system? Thanks!

The Guide of the DSDT complicated for me

I took the file DSDT.AML of Blackosx

Everything works well only video card is not good,

If someone could help me just get it out of the total ticket I thank in advance

Thanks

Thanks

It was complicated for all of us to learn and i've already given you the information you need to fix your dsdt.aml.

What your asking is for someone to do it all for you so you don't have to actually put in any effort learning about the process.

I for one am done responding your posts if your not willing to take even the smallest steps to understanding how this all works.

If your incapable of understanding or even putting in any time to to understand perhaps you should simply buy a mac instead of trying to build a hackintosh

I cant seem to boot into my Snow Leopard disc. I run the boot disc and Chameleon starts, I then proceed to insert my SL disc but Im not having any success. If I press F5 I just get bombared by "EBIOS read error : Error 0x01, Block 0x0 Sectors 0" errors.

Any ideas?

I have had similar issues in the past re-burning the ISO or DMG file at a slower speed with Verify on fixed it for me.

The os-x dvd seems to be really picky about media and burn speed.

Try re-burning the dvd at 1x with verify that worked for me

Also another thing to remember is that once you swap the discs it takes some readers up to 30 seconds to spin the disk up before you can press enter at the boot prompt to proceed.

So swap the disk then wait a minute before pressing enter.

Oh no, I need some really big help right now.

Hi squidwardd. How are things since your last troubled post?

Did mm67's help regarding firmware help?

Hello blackosx,

Many thanks for your encouragement, but I still have no sound after the 10.6.2 upgrade on my GA-EP43-UD3L, everything was perfect with 10.6.1 though. Here is a screen shot of my kexts as you suggested. Do you have any idea where to look for my sound fix? :rolleyes:

Also the -v -x mode on startup became disabled after the upgrade. Have no idea anymore how the machine bots. The Keyboard is frozen until the Logon screen appears...

Many thanks iA

I show how to activate audio for ALC888 in my DSDT guide. LegacyHDA.kext is on part, a DSDT HDEF patch is the other.

Also, why do you want to boot with -v or - x?. You shouldn't need to use these, I never do. If you want to know what the machine is doing at boot then check your kernel.log in console.

Does anyone know if the DSDT file contains specific CPU information? I made a hackintosh for a member of my family and we have nearly identical setups. Both systems use a Gigabye EP45-DS3L (and therefore same built-in audio) and the same Nvidia 9800GTX+ video card as well. The only difference is that he has a Core 2 Quad and I use a Core 2 Duo processor. Do you think he'd be able to use my DSDT file just fine or do I need to create the DSDT file on his computer for it to generate all the specific information for his system? Thanks!

Hi boogi. What DSDT file are you referring too?

You can check for specific CPU info in the DSDT by looking in the Scope (_PR) section. If it contains a Method (_PSS.... then it does. You should (but double check everything still works) be able to use your DSDT on the other machine with EXACTLY the same hardware although It's always best to create the DSDT specifically for each machine.

Thanks

Hi elrondd.

The easiest way for you to fix your video card in DSDT is to build your own. Making a DSDT for the first time can seem complicated, but I have tried to make it as simple as possible with my guide. If you have access to a Windows install then you should be able to follow the guide and create your own DSDT from the BIOS file of your motherboard. In my DSDT thread, I even link to the original Gigabyte BIOS files for motherboard for you to build with.

I have had similar issues in the past re-burning the ISO or DMG file at a slower speed with Verify on fixed it for me.

The os-x dvd seems to be really picky about media and burn speed.

Try re-burning the dvd at 1x with verify that worked for me

Also another thing to remember is that once you swap the discs it takes some readers up to 30 seconds to spin the disk up before you can press enter at the boot prompt to proceed.

So swap the disk then wait a minute before pressing enter.

Hi Capt_Boom

Good advice. Thanks for helping out. :unsure:

You shouldn't need to use these, I never do. If you want to know what the machine is doing at boot then check your kernel.log in console.

As I am a novice in this field, can you please explain where the kernel.log is situated? How can I find it? Looked in /Library/Logs but did not find anything useful.

many thanks! will continue with DSDT patching, something I have never done so far.

As I am a novice in this field, can you please explain where the kernel.log is situated? How can I find it? Looked in /Library/Logs but did not find anything useful.

many thanks! will continue with DSDT patching, something I have never done so far.

No probs :(

You can find the console in /Applications/Utilities/

Load it up and look at the left pane and drill down to FILES/private/var/log/kernel.log

No probs :)

You can find the console in /Applications/Utilities/

Load it up and look at the left pane and drill down to FILES/private/var/log/kernel.log

Found it! :)

but only in /var/log

also spotted the console that is different from terminal. :):thanks_speechbubble:

Here is why sound is not working...[ see attachment]

kernel.log.rtf

Found it! :)

but only in /var/log

also spotted the console that is different from terminal. :):thanks_speechbubble:

Here is why sound is not working...[ see attachment]

I see this....

Nov 25 09:17:32 mail kernel[0]: HDAEnabler: Copyright © 2008 by Kabyl\

Why are you running HDAEnabler?

So you changed the device-id of your ICH10 to an IHC8 in DSDT. I however wonder what that does... I mean in the long run ;)

From all my recent DSDT research and learning more about my system, it's just occurred to me that I am finally understanding MasterChief's comment from two months ago.... (original post here).

The device-id of SATA in ICH10, which is native to the GA-EP45-DS3L, is 8086:3a22, as we can see here from my lspci output.

00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) SATA AHCI Controller [8086:3a22]

Where as the SATA fix I applied to my DSDT (and still use today), and wrote about in my Using DSDT guide, which enabled me to remove IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext from /E/E, changed the device-id to 8086:2681 which is from ICH8. Here's a snippet from that code which shows the change..

"device-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

....0x81, 0x26, 0x00, 0x00

}

Although it's a lot of work, I have learned so much lately from my reading. ;)

But there is no much more to learn!

EDIT: It might be time to revert back to using the ICH10 and add a kext back in to /E/E for fix the orange icons?

Removed all HDAEnabler, but I get stile HDAEnabler in the kernel.log [see attachment]

which kexts should be in E/E? [attached my E/E folder]

Okay. Well done

Why have you got AppleHDA in /E/E too?

I see you are also using an Extensions.mkext. Did you rebuild that after removing HDAEnabler?

What hardware are you running? Can you create a signature?

If you are using the GA-EP45-DS3L and followed my guides then all you need for audio is a DSDT patched with HDEF and LegacyHDA.kext. And by using my guide, you can get away without using an Extensions.mkext.

Okay. Well done

Why have you got AppleHDA in /E/E too?

I see you are also using an Extensions.mkext. Did you rebuild that after removing HDAEnabler?

What hardware are you running? Can you create a signature?

If you are using the GA-EP45-DS3L and followed my guides then all you need for audio is a DSDT patched with HDEF and LegacyHDA.kext. And by using my guide, you can get away without using an Extensions.mkext.

Yes I did rebuild the mkext with Kext Utility, both the /System/Library/Extensions, and the /E/E. Where is the HDAEnabler hidden then? My HW is still the same GA-EP43-UD3L very very similar to yours, has ALC888.

This my final E/E [still no output devices found]

How can I avoid using Extension.mkext? Shouldnt this always be there?

;):)

post-307057-1259181969_thumb.png

Yes I did rebuild the mkext with Kext Utility, both the /System/Library/Extensions, and the /E/E. Where is the HDAEnabler hidden then? My HW is still the same GA-EP43-UD3L very very similar to yours, has ALC888.

This my final E/E [still no output devices found]

How can I avoid using Extension.mkext? Shouldnt this always be there?

:rolleyes::D

Remove your current Extensions.mkext out of /Extra and drag your Extensions folder from /Extra on to Kext Utility to create a brand new Extensions.mkext. Don't worry about /S/L/E - HDAEnabler won't be in there (unless you have added it?)

Using Extensions.mkext is optional and most people use as it helps to speed up boot time, but you don't need to use one. Try deleting yours and booting without it if you like?