[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Hello BlackOSX, and as always, I thank you for your very valuable time.

Yes, unfortunately, I have been using the correct fdisk440, have tried Chameleon from original v1.2 Support Files, and also from the newest v3.2.1. I have also done the installation completely manually from guides part 3 and 9, all same results.

Here is a new datapoint however: I tried connecting 2 different [additional] drives (as a test) to my OSX/Win7 system, both with OSX and Win7 installs of their own on them, and Chameleon sees both of them!

OK, I didn't mention this before because I have another system with a similar configuration that doesn't have this problem, plus it was working on this "new machine" when I was setting things up with the ASUS P7P55D Deluxe board in it; I am using a High-Point RAID controller (RR2320), with the OS drives configured as 2 mirror drives. The other machine has a RR3320, but they are very similar. I am also using a newer driver, but that shouldn't matter until the OS is loaded. Remember, If I do the first half of the Chameleon install, Windows 7 is seen (only) and boots up fine and works. Once I install boot0hfs, Win7 disappears, and it only sees the OS X installs. Strange.

My guess at this point is that there is some proprietary "software piece" that got installed from the Gigabyte drivers/software disc that is borking this up. I am going to wipe out Win7, reinstall a virgin copy (adding nothing after the install completes), and see what happens, and I'll post my results of course.

Thanks.

:)

Installed clean Win7, same issue.

Went into Disk Utility and found that my OS X drive is designated as the Startup Disk. Shouldn't Cham be my Startup Disk? If this is the problem, how can I fix it?

I installed and launched the Chameleon GUI Preference Pane and under Startup Disk, no Windows 7 entry. Should there be one? Is there anyway this utility could be used to fix this?

Also, here is my com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,5)</string>

<key>EHCIacquire</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v rd(0,3)</string>

<key>SystemID</key>

<string>2B6165CF-C0E1-3080-BEFA-043B992E7AE8</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>UHCIreset</key>

<string>Yes</string>

Thanks!

Hi jamonda

When you say the new release of Cartri's BIOS, do you mean v0.7m? If so, then yes, that's the latest and I am currently running with it. If you decide to use Cartri's BIOS then you will need to:

• use the original Chameleon v2 RC4 when using the modified BIOS and not Asere's modified bootloader.

• remove both GraphicsEnabler and EthernetBuiltIn boot options from your com.apple.Boot.plst

• Use EFIStudio to build a device (EFI) string for your video. I showed how to do this on page 9 of my old PDF Guide which you can find linked on the front page under 'Previous Install Guide PDF for reference'

Hi, Blackosx.

I've tried everything but I couldn't make my Nvidia 9500 GT to work again.

EFIStudio doesn't support 9500 GT, nor OSXTools.

Any help?

Thanks.

Hi sjpapa

Thanks for the note about the 'Scan for restore' step when creating a bootable USB stick. I will have to get some time to test that again from 10.5.8.

As you know, this thread is for the EP45-DS3L, so using the DSDT from here with your EP45-DS3LR with probably not work. You can try building your USB stick without a DSDT for now and it should work, although you might have your CMOS reset when restarting from SL. There is a kext floating around which you could use to overcome this - search for ElliottForceLegacyRTC. Though eventually you will need to sort yourself out a correct DSDT for your mobo.

Check the version of SleepEnabler.kext you are using as there is a new version for 10.6.3. It's all in the PDF guides.

I suggest you have a read of the Gigabyte DSDT fix thread to find out more information. I know it's a big thread but it contains some great information.

Well done for sorting your problem.

I don't know why the GA-EP45-DS3LR won't work with Snow Leopard but all I can suggest is to try and find others who are using it to get more details and there you might find a DSDT that they are using.

------------------------------------------------------------

Hi 2bitpunk

I don't use my hack for anything near as heavy as you are for your video sessions but my machine is solid and I have never noticed any such lock ups.. So unfortunately, I don't really have any solutions for you.. Could it be a temperature issue?

Good luck with finding out what it might be.

Hi Mammoth

From your description, you are doing it correctly, so I don't understand why it doesn't work for you. It's not a 10.6.3 issue as I have it working just fine. Dr Hurt's installer should work also, but I personally use the manual installation method as explained in 'Part 3' PDF.

Double check you are using the fdisk440 from my Support files and writing the boot0hfs file as you are dual booting.

Finally some light at the end of the tunnel: USB stick works on GA-EP45-DS3LR, but with the updated BIOS to F2 (from F1). The F3a-beta is {censored}, the MB could not enter the boot state, looped indefinitely !!!

Now proceeding with updating 10.5.8 to SL.... Many thanks for the hints blackosx!

Installed clean Win7, same issue.

Went into Disk Utility and found that my OS X drive is designated as the Startup Disk. Shouldn't Cham be my Startup Disk? If this is the problem, how can I fix it?

Hi Mammoth

How exactly in Disk Utility did you determine that your OS X drive is designated as the Startup Disk?

But the way it works is, boot0 (or boot0hfs) is written to the MBR of the HDD and is the first code that's run when the system reads the HDD. The difference being:

• You will use boot0 when your cham partition is set as active.

• You will use boot0hfs when cham is NOT the active partition, so ideal for having a dual boot with a Windows Vista/7 installation on the same HDD, with that Windows partition being set to active.

boot0 then looks for boot1h (which will be on the same partition that Chameleon is installed to) which then in turn runs boot.

I installed and launched the Chameleon GUI Preference Pane and under Startup Disk, no Windows 7 entry. Should there be one? Is there anyway this utility could be used to fix this?

The Chameleon Pref Pane was original designed to allow you to maintain your com.apple.Boot.plist via a GUI rather than doing it by hand so it can't 'fix' any issues that can't be done by hand. Howver, Rekursor did add new features to the pref pane like an option to extract the ACPI tables.

The rules it uses to detect a Windows install were posted here by Rekursor during the development process.

Finally some light at the end of the tunnel: USB stick works on GA-EP45-DS3LR, but with the updated BIOS to F2 (from F1). The F3a-beta is {censored}, the MB could enter the boot state !!!

Now proceeding with updating 10.5.8 to SL.... Many thanks for the hints blackosx!

Thanks for reporting back sjpapa. So it was the beta BIOS causing you issues?.. well I hope your installation can now proceed successfully :P

I've tried everything but I couldn't make my Nvidia 9500 GT to work again.

EFIStudio doesn't support 9500 GT, nor OSXTools.

Hi Jamonda

Ah.. that's a shame.. mmmm.. I guess you are going to have to search for an answer from somebody else that has a working 9500GT using device (EFI) strings. Sorry for the short answer but that's really the only answer I can give.

Did you go ahead and flash to Cartri's BIOS? or have to just removed the GraphicsEnabler=Y boot option first for testing?

I have just been reading tmongkol's audio thread (the source of all the LegacyHDA.kext etc.) and I have just read that when we use the patched AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E for our audio in 10.6.3, we no longer need to use the LegacyHDA.kext in /E/E.

I will be home later to check this, but if possible, can somebody check this before and report back?

EDIT: Okay, well I've tried it and using the patched AppleHDA.kext from tmongkol's thread it works. So for 10.6.3, we no longer need the LegacyHDA.kext in /E/E.

You can get the patched AppleHDA.kext from tmongkol's thread and searching for AppleHDA_1.8.4fc3_ALC888_LayoutID_888.zip. Download and unzip the archive and use the AppleHDA.kext from in there. :unsure:

Hi Mammoth

How exactly in Disk Utility did you determine that your OS X drive is designated as the Startup Disk?

But the way it works is, boot0 (or boot0hfs) is written to the MBR of the HDD and is the first code that's run when the system reads the HDD. The difference being:

• You will use boot0 when your cham partition is set as active.

• You will use boot0hfs when cham is NOT the active partition, so ideal for having a dual boot with a Windows Vista/7 installation on the same HDD, with that Windows partition being set to active.

boot0 then looks for boot1h (which will be on the same partition that Chameleon is installed to) which then in turn runs boot.

The Chameleon Pref Pane was original designed to allow you to maintain your com.apple.Boot.plist via a GUI rather than doing it by hand so it can't 'fix' any issues that can't be done by hand. Howver, Rekursor did add new features to the pref pane like an option to extract the ACPI tables.

The rules it uses to detect a Windows install were posted here by Rekursor during the development process.

Thanks for trying to help me BlackOSX,

In Disk Utility, if I select my HDD (top of the tree), then Partition (to the right), and then select my OS X partition, to the right it says "This partition is the Startup disk, it can not be erased."

I am so frustrated with this. I have been trying for the last 3 or more days to get the simplest of things working (dual boot of OSX and Win7). I have done this many times before on other machines and never had too much of a problem, at least nothing I couldn't fix. Now no matter what I do, it will not work. I mean, if I do a fresh install, it will be working (showing OS X and NTFS partitions in Chameleon) at least until I install Windows7, reboot with my boot CD, run the procedure using fdisk440. Then, when I reboot, I never get NTFS partition listings again. I am ready to start punching babies. It feels like I can't do something as simple as tie my own shoes.

Is it possible the boot CD I have to use is writing or installing something that is causing this? Here is the one I am using: http://www.tonymacx86.com/Public/[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url].zip

This [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] CD allows OS X to boot with everything working, which sounds great, but in order to do so, it has to load up A LOT OF {censored}. I was not using this disk previously, but this one works with my P55 board, where what I used before (yours) doesn't work as the boards are different. Maybe I need to make my own, clean boot CD?

Here is the process I'm using:

NOTE: Even though this is a different chipset/board, I follow your guides as much as possible to do my installs, AND THANK YOU again!)

1) Wipe 1TB drives completely (delete RAID1, re-create RAID1) on High-point RR2320.

2) Boot with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], swap discs with my purchased 10.6.0 disc, begin OS X install

3) Use Disk Utility to create 4 partitions: Cham=1GB, OSX=250GB, Win7=250GB (as FAT), SLRepair=50GB

4) Install to OSX partition

5) On completion, power off, so I can eject and change back to the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] CD.

6) Boot back into OS X from boot CD and complete installation

7) Follow guide to setup Cham using Chameleon from v1.3.2 Support Files like this:

- sudo -s

- cd (drag Chameleon) hit enter

- (drag fdisk440) then -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1 (Make sure "1" is correct disk of course)

- dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s2

- cp boot /Volumes/Cham

8) Then I just drag folders over with all files/directories (com.apple.Boot.plist, DSDT.aml, \Extra, \Extensions, etc, for my board and place them all on Cham where they belong:

Cham\Extra\Extensions

Cham\Extra\Themes

9) Install 10.6.2 or 10.6.3 Combo Update (either, same result)

10) Eject [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] CD, reboot into OS X to make sure it all works

11) If all good, shutdown, power on, insert Windows 7 install DVD

12) Choose Windows 7 64-bit

13) Install Windows 7 drivers for High-point RR2320 RAID card (have done this on my GA-EP45T-DS3R with RR3320 RAID card with no problems).

14) Choose the Windows7 partition and format it, then install Windows7 to it.

15) After a few reboots and Windows 7 install is finished, restart machine with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] CD.

16) Boot into OS X again

17) Issue following commands:

- sudo -s

- cd (drag Chameleon) hit enter

- (drag fdisk440) then -f boot0hfs -u -y /dev/rdisk1 (Make sure "1" is correct disk of course)

- dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s2

- cp boot /Volumes/Cham

18) Reboot, and where NORMALLY I have had both OS X and Windows boot selections, now only ever have OS X.

Now of note, on my EP45 board, I didn't use terminal the second time for Cham, but would use Dr. Hurt's installer. But since v1.3.2 has updated Chameleon, not using Dr. Hurt's, but doing manually as stated above. Have also tried using only Chameleon from v1.2 and Dr. Hurt, but same issue.

WHAT am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

:wacko:

Hi Mammoth

I haven't used a RAID setup, but in a two disk array don't you need to install Chameleon to both disks?

Hi BlackOSX,

Looks like I'm not the only one up WAY past his bed time! :)

No, what happens is with a RAID1 (2 mirrored drives), the RAID card handles both drives and presents them to the OS as just 1 drive. The OS has no idea it's actually 2 drives.

What is really nice about this setup (and why I am so intent on using it), is I can have a complete backup of my entire system (All installations of OS X, Windows 7, other OSs, etc.) by simply pulling out one of the drives and putting it on a self. Backup done.

Then I replace the drive with a spare drive, that drive gets mirrored by the remaining installed drive member of the mirror, then I have fault tolerance again in case of a drive failure.

The other benefit is faster reads as there are two exact copies on two physical drives to read from. Also, the drives are installed in my system using removable hot swap cages Kingwin KF-1000-BK at Newegg which allows me to swap in different drives with different installations for testing.

Fry's Electronics recently had 1TB drives (in my sig) for $68.00! So I got 3 for this machine... now if I can only figure out what is messing up what should be a simple dual boot setup!!! I have just about finished creating my customized boot CD, then I will wipe out and start fresh... AGAIN and see if that's it.

If you get any ideas, please let me know. :(

Looks like I'm not the only one up WAY past his bed time! :(

Lol.. I am aware of the concept of RAID1 :)

I was just quoting what I read on VoodooProject's Forum:

RAID Install:

-------------

Suppose that your installation is on /dev/disk3, which is either a mirror- or a

stripeset consisting of /dev/disk0 and /dev/disk1

Mac OS X creates a small helper partition at the end of each RAID member disk,

namely /dev/disk0s3 and /dev/disk1s3

- Install boot0 to the MBR of both disks:

sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1

- Install boot1h to the bootsector of each boot partition:

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s3

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s3

- Install boot to both helper partition's root directories.

diskutil mount disk0s3

cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OSX

diskutil unmount disk0s3

diskutil mount disk1s3

cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OSX

diskutil unmount disk1s3

- Add "rd=uuid boot-uuid=506D8F03-0596-32D8-BE0B-E3A4E7D5C72A" to your kernel flags

(replace with your root volume's UUID; find out using "Disk Utility.app", right

click on your root volume, then Get Info"):

nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

touch /System/Library/Extensions

But as I don't use it, maybe it's best to follow up on some of the threads on VoodooProject's forum or other threads here on InsanelyMac? Hopefully someone who is using the same RAID setup as you can give you better advice.

Great. Thanks for the feedback CyCLoBoT.

No problem with sharing the info. I just wish I had seen it sooner.. This forum is so large with information spread all over the place it's hard to know everything that's relevant to our setup. But it's tmongkol we should thank for this :rolleyes:

Lol.. I am aware of the concept of RAID1 :)

I was just quoting what I read on VoodooProject's Forum:

But as I don't use it, maybe it's best to follow up on some of the threads on VoodooProject's forum or other threads here on InsanelyMac? Hopefully someone who is using the same RAID setup as you can give you better advice.

I was wondering about that... but I was detailed JUST in case. ; )

I think that pertains to an Apple Software RAID setup. With hardware RAID, the OS doesn't manage it at all. A utility can of course, but that's provided by the RAID card manufacturer (for those who DIDN'T know this. :(

Thanks BlackOSX!

@BlackOSX: On a side note, on v1.07 BootCD, the text under the boot selections is "all messed up". I'm trying to create this BootCD for my P55 board based on yours and I'm seeing the same issue with the text. How can I fix that?

To be honest, I have only ever installed 10.6 to a fresh HDD and have never 'upgraded' from a 10.5.n system. So I don't know what to tell you, sorry. Maybe it's a straight archive/install process, but I don't know.

I just upgraded my Hackint0sh from 10.5.8 to 10.6.3 using the CD Boot method, and it worked seemlessly! My base system is a GA-EP45-UD3L w/ 8G DDR2 RAM and Q6600 all running stock speeds. I followed the instructions and everything "just worked". All data and applications are present and accounted for. It even booted in 64-bit first time out.

Many thanks for the great tutorial!

- Stealth Dave

I think that pertains to an Apple Software RAID setup. With hardware RAID, the OS doesn't manage it at all. A utility can of course, but that's provided by the RAID card manufacturer (for those who DIDN'T know this. :(

Thanks BlackOSX!

@BlackOSX: On a side note, on v1.07 BootCD, the text under the boot selections is "all messed up". I'm trying to create this BootCD for my P55 board based on yours and I'm seeing the same issue with the text. How can I fix that?

Hi Mammoth.

Your description of your issue has been first class, I am just sorry I couldn't identify an answer for you.

As for the BootCD, can you show me a picture of what you mean by the text is ''all messed up"?. I have just booted from the v1.07 BootCD and this is what I see.

post-331032-1271870829_thumb.jpg

I just upgraded my Hackint0sh from 10.5.8 to 10.6.3 using the CD Boot method, and it worked seemlessly! My base system is a GA-EP45-UD3L w/ 8G DDR2 RAM and Q6600 all running stock speeds. I followed the instructions and everything "just worked". All data and applications are present and accounted for. It even booted in 64-bit first time out.

Many thanks for the great tutorial!

Welcome aboard Stealth Dave. Thanks for the report :)

Blackosx,

1. I'm having problems with bonjour. I used Sonotone's bonjour installer to fix bonjour, just as you advised. It worked. However, from time to time bonjour stops working (so do Time Machine and file access over ethernet). I run ifconfig and I can se that when bonjour is not working en0 is running in simplex mode, not promiscuous mode. What may be causing en0 to lose promiscuous mode?

2. If I buy wifi hardware used in macbooks (BCM94322MC, for example) will I also have to use the bonjour fix?

Thanks.

PS. Your boot file with system id fix and Duvel300 restart fix works great with EP45-UD3L.

Hello,

I had similar issues with bonjour and AppleTV not connecting to the iTunes library, I have been running Snow Leopard (10.6.2) on a Gigabyte board, but the on board networking card did not connect on some other thread (sorry lost the url) Chameleon RC4 with Apple TV/bonjourI found the hint that the Netgear GA311 card does the trick, and it did, connecting the machine to the network with that card and all runs nicely.

Regards,

... d

I think that pertains to an Apple Software RAID setup. With hardware RAID, the OS doesn't manage it at all. A utility can of course, but that's provided by the RAID card manufacturer (for those who DIDN'T know this. :P

Thanks BlackOSX!

Well you are both right! If you want to do a RAID1 for Apple, you technically DO install Chameleon on both SATA drives. For my setup, I actually use an old LSI SCSI raid card from eBay for 2 15k Fujitsu 300Gb drives and they are set up at hardware level, so the the system AND Apple see them as a single drive. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Thanks bigpoppa206. From your experience, would you have any idea to help Mammoth with this problem described above? (No worrieds if you can't)...

@Daniel_me69 - Thanks for the note about the Netgear NIC. Somebody also posted, a few weeks back, about onother NIC (cheap as chips) which also worked OoB.

Anyhow, just a note to say I am going away for a few days tomorrow morning and won't be back until Sunday evening. So I'll respond to any questions here, if possible, before tomorrow morning - otherwise I'll check in when I get back.

I'm currently running 10.6.3 with cartri's BIOS, and I have these in my /E/E/

fakesmc.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and OrangeIconFix.kext

Everything works perfectly, and has been for months already only one problem. Since upgrading to 10.6.2 my sleep and restart are broken. When I select sleep or restart the screen goes black and the computer just halts, then I have to forcefully power it off/on.

Since that upgrade to 10.6.2 I tried the following to re-enable my sleep:

several versions of DSDT, SleepEnabler and different kext combos.

No USB devices are connected except my keyboard and mouse (the same ones I had before the 10.6.2 upgrade). I tried disabling Legacy USB in BIOS but no good. I tried setting hibernate mode to 0 and 3 via pmset command...

So right now I'm running the custom BIOS, no DSDT, and these 3 kexts in /E/E...

What could be causing the sleep not to work? I tried booting verbose also, and then watch Console output after clicking Sleep, but it doesn't log anything related to that :S

Any ideas?

cheers!

Thanks bigpoppa206. From your experience, would you have any idea to help Mammoth with this problem described above? (No worrieds if you can't)....

Yes, remember I asked the same question, somewhere in the last 10 pages (fairly recent.) You posted a link with instructions from someone else, I just never got it to work for me. Well, the second drive was bootable, not the first. But then the transfer speeds were slow compared to SCSI so I gave up.

Here is the link to landmark's directions.

Hi, I have some issues with 10.6.3 64 retail on GA-ep43-ds3

Since my update to 10.6.3 and replaced sleep enabler kext I have problem from time to time to wake the PC. It just shows me a black sreen and no video signal. The other problem is that after wake up my time machine starts to backup 3gb of data, wich is not a new data (I have not install any programs or files,nothing). the next problem is that It goes to sleep automaticly few houres before my set for 1.00am, not every time.

So if see this kind of problems, please tell me, 10x

I want to tell you that on 10.6.2 the machine was stable as a rock, and tehre was no problems like those above.

Thanks for reporting back sjpapa. So it was the beta BIOS causing you issues?.. well I hope your installation can now proceed successfully :)

10.6.2 success! see revised Post #2766,

[looking how to remove the BIOS reset]

many thanks again!

PS: Now investigating the 10.6.3 upgrade, need 10.6.3 sound ? kexts...

Kernel Panic! :)

After installing the 10.6.2 on the GA-EP45-DS3LR and happily playing with the full board working, after a reboot I got a serious KP:

failed to load ACPIPlatform.

mode -x -s are no good, recopied the Chameleon, no progress.

Is there any way to fix permissions or run kext Utility on the non-boot drive? or start withouth the kext caches?

Tried also to remove the dsdt.aml, and replace it with an older version.... :)