[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Hi blackosx,

I've almost successfully installed 10.6.3, but I seem to be having issues with my audio. I've followed the guides and am using the AppleHDA.kext from the support files, and all *seems* well. I have volume control and it appears like all is working, but no audio is produced. I don't get any errors, and if I don't use your AppleHDA.kext then my audio device doesn't appear, so it seems like i'm patching it correctly. Very strange... Any thoughts?

Hi PSUlion01

If you have all the files installed correctly and as you say, have the Audio icon in the Menu bar, then it's likely that you just have the settings in System Prefs/Sound set incorrectly. Try changing the output device from the options in the 'Output' tab.

hi, do anyone have the solution for the 7300GT video card ? I have to go back to NVInject without GeForce kext in order to boot to my system.

PS : I can't boot in 32 mode without panic-ing (I don't know why, this happends since 10.6.0 setup)

I think the 7 series cards only work when booting the kernel in 32-bit mode. And if you get a KP when booting that way then try booting with -v to give you a clue as to why it fails.

This sounds like you have not done the fix to your DSDT to make the USB ports appear as builtin to your system. That's what affected my system and once fixed, everything works fine, including wake from sleep and thumbdrives operating as they should. YMMV!

hmmm...using the DSDT provided in the support files but the usb drives seem inconsistent. can you provide me a link to the fix you're referring to? search on these boards always gives me an error for some reason.

thanks

Anyone have to use the 10.6.3 1.1 update? http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1017

keypox,

I'm downloading it at the moment and I'll post impressions after a while!

Thanx for the info :)

EDIT: Installed the 10.6.3 v1.1 update and it's OK, but the audio is not working with the first restart.

So, before updating backup the AppleHDA.kext, and after the update overwrite the new one with the backup, replace permissions, refresh kext cache, restart and audio is working again.

I just updated mu desktop comp: EP45 DS3L using Cartri bios 0.7m to 10.6.3 combo 1.1 and after reinstalling AppleHDA kext to S/L/E and copying the new IONetworking.kext from S/L/E to E/E and editing info plist for bonjour everything works like before.

Link to update page.

Anyone have to use the 10.6.3 1.1 update? http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1017

Thanks for the heads up keypox, and thanks for the reports rednous & smilenkovski.

Yes, the update works great. :)

EDIT: It puts the build number from 10D573 to 10D578

Everyone, remember you will need to re-write the patched AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E as you did when updating to 10.6.3

Hi blackosx,

10.6.3 wasn't a terrible hard update (just had to replace SleepEnabler, and update AppleHDA for the sound), but there's one thing that I just haven't been able to work out.

I use a WMP54GS Wifi Card (has a broadcomm BCM4306 chipset in it I believe) which is, and always has been nativly picked up and configured by MacOSX. I've never had any problems with it.

After the update to 10.6.3 the other day though, funny things have started happening. I can still browse the internet just fine, and even access my local linux server, but pinging my other Macbook Pro always returns "Request timeout for icmp_seq 0" etc. Pinging my server and router etc are fine.

Bonjour also doesn't seem to be working, because I used to be able to use Chicken of the VNC to access my Hackintosh from my MBP, but that's also a no go now. It just times out.

Has anyone else been having the same problem? As I said, I can access the internet just fine, and even use my time machine (linux server)

Hi, Blackosx.

It's a long time since my last post. This means that my system, built with your help, is working like a charm. Thank you very much.

I see you're using Cartri's modified Bios. I'd like to do that but I don't want to lose speedstep, for example. Is it possible to flash the modified Bios and keep on using the kexts and the DSDT.aml I'm using now with the original Bios?

Thanks.

Hi, Blackosx.

It's a long time since my last post. This means that my system, built with your help, is working like a charm. Thank you very much.

Hi jamonda

That's great :D

I see you're using Cartri's modified Bios. I'd like to do that but I don't want to lose speedstep, for example. Is it possible to flash the modified Bios and keep on using the kexts and the DSDT.aml I'm using now with the original Bios?

With Cartri's BIOS you can still use your same kexts, though you'll only really need fakesmc.kext and LegacyHDA.kext.

I know you currently have speedstep implementation in DSDT, as did I, and for the moment that's something you'll lose. Instead it's best to use VoodooPowerMini.kext in /S/L/E to implement P-States, though you won't get the benefit of C-States (idle states) so your CPU will run hotter.

Cartri doesn't recommend you use anything that changes the system, like DSDT or the GraphicsEnabler boot option in Chameleon (use device (EFI) strings instead). And not to use a version of Chameleon newer than RC4.

No, the 10.6.3 v1.1 update is still there and functioning.

I use a WMP54GS Wifi Card (has a broadcomm BCM4306 chipset in it I believe) which is, and always has been nativly picked up and configured by MacOSX. I've never had any problems with it.

After the update to 10.6.3 the other day though, funny things have started happening. I can still browse the internet just fine, and even access my local linux server, but pinging my other Macbook Pro always returns "Request timeout for icmp_seq 0" etc. Pinging my server and router etc are fine.

Bonjour also doesn't seem to be working, because I used to be able to use Chicken of the VNC to access my Hackintosh from my MBP, but that's also a no go now. It just times out.

Has anyone else been having the same problem? As I said, I can access the internet just fine, and even use my time machine (linux server)

Hi Daniel Watson

Sorry with the delay in my reply but I have been very busy these days.

I can't help you with the WiFi as I don't use it with my hack and all I can suggest is try to find someone else with the same hardware using 10.6.3 to see if it works for them.

Which bonjour solution have you installed, ifconfig or RealtekR1000?

Hello blackosx,

Your guide is really 'Perfecto'. Its amazing that it can get even better every day... is there a limit?

Can you please include a small topic in your 'upgrade 10...' section? I am still stuck with a 10.5.8 box that I need to migrate to the mountains where the Snow Leopard lives. I refuse [stubborn?] to format and install SL.

Can you please explain what is needed, after installing a SL on a bootable separate partition, in order to upgrade the 10.5.8 to SL .3?

many thanks, especially for the excellent job!

Hi sjpapa

To be honest, I have only ever installed 10.6 to a fresh HDD and have never 'upgraded' from a 10.5.n system. So I don't know what to tell you, sorry. Maybe it's a straight archive/install process, but I don't know.

Hi sjpapa

To be honest, I have only ever installed 10.6 to a fresh HDD and have never 'upgraded' from a 10.5.n system. So I don't know what to tell you, sorry. Maybe it's a straight archive/install process, but I don't know.

USB does not boot, kernel panic.

I followed exactly (at least this is what I think) the instructions on 1B " Create a bootable USB ..stick", in chap 2 the system requested 'scan for restore' from the Images menu; this was not in the guide, corrected that, but then I get a kernel panic ACPI "Could not allocate ACPIPlatformExpert" "failed to load com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform".

Any clues, I have GA-EP45-DS3LR F1 BIOS, this should be the problem (?), and 10.5.8 installed, using original SL DVD.

The USB boots like a charm on the other MB EP43-UD3L. So its either the DSDT or the BIOS version...

And another problem: on my GA-EP43-DS3L tried to upgrade from 10.6.1 to 10.6.3 according to this guide and got: "version mis-match between kernel and CPU" panic. Used the Apple update 10.6.1 to 10.6.3. Reformatted, installed and upgraded to 10.6.2. This worked. Subsequent upgrade of 10.6.2 to 10.6.3 gave same version mismatch kernel panic.

Any ideas why this happened?

Will start will DSDT patching... The DSDT patch according to your guide, still has the same panic on the USB stick.., the patcher could not recompile the dsdt.aml. Used your Mac application. How can I spot the part in DSDT where ACPIPlatform resides? Where can I get patched ACPIPlatform kexts? googling did not fetch anything useful

Finally got the GA-EP43-DS3L working (with sound) on 10.6.2, the kexts were from the WiKi, the blackosx kexts did not work (no sound). Made also a DSDT for this board according to blackosx. DSDT patching was much easier that I thought!!! :)

;) SUCCESS 10.6.2: With this guide finally a fresh installation [10.6.0 -10.6.1-10.6.2 updated in that sequence]

worked on GA-EP45-DS3LR:

BIOS set to F2 [F3a is {censored}], DSDT patched, kexts as in Support files; sound (ALC 888 no HDEF) with kexts of tmongol: AppleHDA + HDAEnabler, removed LegacyHDA.kext. [dat simble]! :)

No, the 10.6.3 v1.1 update is still there and functioning.

Hi Daniel Watson

Sorry with the delay in my reply but I have been very busy these days.

I can't help you with the WiFi as I don't use it with my hack and all I can suggest is try to find someone else with the same hardware using 10.6.3 to see if it works for them.

Which bonjour solution have you installed, ifconfig or RealtekR1000?

Thanks man. I tried both, but both failed. Everything else works apart from Mac-to-Mac pinging on the network. The Realtek extension looks like it'd only work for the onboard ethernet.

Disk lockups - Since moving over to 10.6 I've been getting regular disk lockups in all situations. I've stripped back the OS and cut my apps down to the minimum but I can't get the machine to behave. However it's really inconsistent and I can have some heavy video sessions (live mixing) where everything works fine or the app (VDMX) keeps on going and everything else freezes for 20/30 seconds?

At first I thought this was related to the GPU (9800GT, 1Gb) but I'm not sure now, however I would say that my rig worked like a dream with 10.5.7 and was really solid.

Any thoughts on the disk lockup issue?

PS. I'm currently rebuilding a 10.5 drive and may avoid 10.6 for a bit, for VDMX users make sure your build is solid before using it in a production environment or get a unibody ;-)

Well... I have been reading this thread for the last two hours, and while it has been very helpful, I haven't seen anyone speak of my issue.

I am a HUGE fan of BlackOSX! His guides, demeanor, and willingness to help EVERYONE with anything he can is unmatched by anyone else. Not to mention his methods are the most logical, sensible, flexible, and best out there (IMHO). ; )

I just got a GA-P55A-UD4P and have been working to set it up as close to the BlackOSX method as possible, and have been having success, but have a ways to go. I plan to post my guide and info for those interested once completed.

ISSUE #1

With my other ASUS P7P55D Deluxe board, I was able to setup 10.6.2 with the Cham partition and get it working perfectly just like in BlackOSX's guides. Once OS X was installed perfectly, I would install Win 7, boot with a boot CD to get back into OS X, then use Dr Hurt's RC5 PRE8 installer and install to again to the Cham partition. Then I was able to boot my machine and have my 2 OS X selections and my Windows 7 selection and boot into either of them whenever I wanted.

Now on this new board, 10.6.3, after installing Dr Hurt's for the final time to the Cham partition and restarting, no Windows 7 selection (the OS X selections work fine). I have tried this twice now with the same result.

HELP PLEASE!

Is this a 10.6.3 issue? Do I need to use an upgraded Chameleon? Are there new steps or a new procedure?

Thanks

Hi jamonda

That's great :(

With Cartri's BIOS you can still use your same kexts, though you'll only really need fakesmc.kext and LegacyHDA.kext.

I know you currently have speedstep implementation in DSDT, as did I, and for the moment that's something you'll lose. Instead it's best to use VoodooPowerMini.kext in /S/L/E to implement P-States, though you won't get the benefit of C-States (idle states) so your CPU will run hotter.

Cartri doesn't recommend you use anything that changes the system, like DSDT or the GraphicsEnabler boot option in Chameleon (use device (EFI) strings instead). And not to use a version of Chameleon newer than RC4.

Hi, Blackosx.

There's a new release of Cartri's BIOS. I think it's time to try it.

Do you think I'll have problems with Asere's modified RC4 bootloader?

I have EthernetBuiltIn and GraphicsEnabler enabled in boot.plist. Should I disabled both?

And to be honest, I don't remember how to insert the EFI string for my NVidia 9500 GT. Can you show me where to find how?

Thank you very much,

Jamonda

I just got a GA-P55A-UD4P and have been working to set it up as close to the BlackOSX method as possible, and have been having success, but have a ways to go. I plan to post my guide and info for those interested once completed.

ISSUE #1

With my other ASUS P7P55D Deluxe board, I was able to setup 10.6.2 with the Cham partition and get it working perfectly just like in BlackOSX's guides. Once OS X was installed perfectly, I would install Win 7, boot with a boot CD to get back into OS X, then use Dr Hurt's RC5 PRE8 installer and install to again to the Cham partition. Then I was able to boot my machine and have my 2 OS X selections and my Windows 7 selection and boot into either of them whenever I wanted.

Now on this new board, 10.6.3, after installing Dr Hurt's for the final time to the Cham partition and restarting, no Windows 7 selection (the OS X selections work fine). I have tried this twice now with the same result.

HELP PLEASE!

Is this a 10.6.3 issue? Do I need to use an upgraded Chameleon? Are there new steps or a new procedure?

Thanks

OK - I've been working on this and making no progress. I'm sure it is something simple, and once someone sees my post, will be able to reply with the answer.

So here is what I just tried, and didn't *completely* work:

- I got BlackOSX's most current Support Files, 1.3.2, and latest guides.

- Re-installed Chameleon from v1.3.2 using latest Guide 3

- On reboot, had Windows 7 back, but all by itself - was able to get into Windows 7 no problem.

- Using the bootCD, was able to boot back into OS X

- Using instructions from Part 9 of the guide, followed instructions to a "T", and when I rebooted, back to square 1 - OS X selections, but no Windows 7 selection.

Please help..... :)

Well... I have been reading this thread for the last two hours, and while it has been very helpful, I haven't seen anyone speak of my issue.

I am a HUGE fan of BlackOSX! His guides, demeanor, and willingness to help EVERYONE with anything he can is unmatched by anyone else. Not to mention his methods are the most logical, sensible, flexible, and best out there (IMHO). ; )

ISSUE #1

HELP PLEASE!

Thanks

It seems your 10.6.3 upgrade ruined the MBR of windows. Try to fix the MBR with windows (fdisk and CD boot) and then reapply to MacHack trick to fix the OS X-Windoze dir again. After the MBR-Win fix you should not be able to see OS X, reapply the bootx files and this should do...

USB does not boot, kernel panic.

I followed exactly (at least this is what I think) the instructions on 1B " Create a bootable USB ..stick", in chap 2 the system requested 'scan for restore' from the Images menu; this was not in the guide, corrected that..

Hi sjpapa

Thanks for the note about the 'Scan for restore' step when creating a bootable USB stick. I will have to get some time to test that again from 10.5.8.

..but then I get a kernel panic ACPI "Could not allocate ACPIPlatformExpert" "failed to load com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform".

Any clues, I have GA-EP45-DS3LR F1 BIOS, this should be the problem (?), and 10.5.8 installed, using original SL DVD.

The USB boots like a charm on the other MB EP45-UD3L. So its either the DSDT or the BIOS version...

As you know, this thread is for the EP45-DS3L, so using the DSDT from here with your EP45-DS3LR with probably not work. You can try building your USB stick without a DSDT for now and it should work, although you might have your CMOS reset when restarting from SL. There is a kext floating around which you could use to overcome this - search for ElliottForceLegacyRTC. Though eventually you will need to sort yourself out a correct DSDT for your mobo.

And another problem: on my GA-EP43-DS3L tried to upgrade from 10.6.1 to 10.6.3 according to this guide and got: "version mis-match between kernel and CPU" panic. Used the Apple update 10.6.1 to 10.6.3. Reformatted, installed and upgraded to 10.6.2. This worked. Subsequent upgrade of 10.6.2 to 10.6.3 gave same version mismatch kernel panic.

Any ideas why this happened?

Check the version of SleepEnabler.kext you are using as there is a new version for 10.6.3. It's all in the PDF guides.

Will start will DSDT patching... The DSDT patch according to your guide, still has the same panic on the USB stick.., the patcher could not recompile the dsdt.aml. Used your Mac application. How can I spot the part in DSDT where ACPIPlatform resides? Where can I get patched ACPIPlatform kexts? googling did not fetch anything useful

I suggest you have a read of the Gigabyte DSDT fix thread to find out more information. I know it's a big thread but it contains some great information.

Finally got the GA-EP43-DS3L working (with sound) on 10.6.2, the kexts were from the WiKi, the blackosx kexts did not work (no sound). Made also a DSDT for this board according to blackosx. DSDT patching was much easier that I thought!!! :D

Well done for sorting your problem.

It seems that the GA-EP45-DS3LR cannot work with Snow. Gave up. :)

I will try as a last resort to upgrade the BIOS to its latest version (F1 -> F3) and retry with a new DSDT patch..

If I only knew how to patch the source dsdt, then maybe I could try again to upgrade to panicky 10.6.3... :wacko:

I don't know why the GA-EP45-DS3LR won't work with Snow Leopard but all I can suggest is to try and find others who are using it to get more details and there you might find a DSDT that they are using.

------------------------------------------------------------

Disk lockups - Since moving over to 10.6 I've been getting regular disk lockups in all situations.

Hi 2bitpunk

I don't use my hack for anything near as heavy as you are for your video sessions but my machine is solid and I have never noticed any such lock ups.. So unfortunately, I don't really have any solutions for you.. Could it be a temperature issue?

Good luck with finding out what it might be.

HELP PLEASE!

- Using instructions from Part 9 of the guide, followed instructions to a "T", and when I rebooted, back to square 1 - OS X selections, but no Windows 7 selection.

Hi Mammoth

From your description, you are doing it correctly, so I don't understand why it doesn't work for you. It's not a 10.6.3 issue as I have it working just fine. Dr Hurt's installer should work also, but I personally use the manual installation method as explained in 'Part 3' PDF.

Double check you are using the fdisk440 from my Support files and writing the boot0hfs file as you are dual booting.

Hi, Blackosx.

There's a new release of Cartri's BIOS. I think it's time to try it.

Do you think I'll have problems with Asere's modified RC4 bootloader?

I have EthernetBuiltIn and GraphicsEnabler enabled in boot.plist. Should I disabled both?

And to be honest, I don't remember how to insert the EFI string for my NVidia 9500 GT. Can you show me where to find how?

Thank you very much,

Jamonda

Hi jamonda

When you say the new release of Cartri's BIOS, do you mean v0.7m? If so, then yes, that's the latest and I am currently running with it. If you decide to use Cartri's BIOS then you will need to:

• use the original Chameleon v2 RC4 when using the modified BIOS and not Asere's modified bootloader.

• remove both GraphicsEnabler and EthernetBuiltIn boot options from your com.apple.Boot.plst

• Use EFIStudio to build a device (EFI) string for your video. I showed how to do this on page 9 of my old PDF Guide which you can find linked on the front page under 'Previous Install Guide PDF for reference'

Hi Mammoth

From your description, you are doing it correctly, so I don't understand why it doesn't work for you. It's not a 10.6.3 issue as I have it working just fine. Dr Hurt's installer should work also, but I personally use the manual installation method as explained in 'Part 3' PDF.

Double check you are using the fdisk440 from my Support files and writing the boot0hfs file as you are dual booting.

Hello BlackOSX, and as always, I thank you for your very valuable time.

Yes, unfortunately, I have been using the correct fdisk440, have tried Chameleon from original v1.2 Support Files, and also from the newest v3.2.1. I have also done the installation completely manually from guides part 3 and 9, all same results.

Here is a new datapoint however: I tried connecting 2 different [additional] drives (as a test) to my OSX/Win7 system, both with OSX and Win7 installs of their own on them, and Chameleon sees both of them!

OK, I didn't mention this before because I have another system with a similar configuration that doesn't have this problem, plus it was working on this "new machine" when I was setting things up with the ASUS P7P55D Deluxe board in it; I am using a High-Point RAID controller (RR2320), with the OS drives configured as 2 mirror drives. The other machine has a RR3320, but they are very similar. I am also using a newer driver, but that shouldn't matter until the OS is loaded. Remember, If I do the first half of the Chameleon install, Windows 7 is seen (only) and boots up fine and works. Once I install boot0hfs, Win7 disappears, and it only sees the OS X installs. Strange.

My guess at this point is that there is some proprietary "software piece" that got installed from the Gigabyte drivers/software disc that is borking this up. I am going to wipe out Win7, reinstall a virgin copy (adding nothing after the install completes), and see what happens, and I'll post my results of course.

Thanks.

^_^