[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Hi snifferpro

Thanks for coming back and for putting in the work to create your PDF to show the steps. Now having seen it, I think it might be possible that it's your 1TB drive causing the issue. Check out this post http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=310.0

Having followed that link through, you will eventually get to this post by zef which points to a change in the 'still in progress' Chameleon RC5 source. Now I don't know whether or not it will fix your issue, but I have compiled a boot file for you from the latest source. Can you give it try and report back?

From 'Commit 139' of the trunk:

boot.zip

I will give it a try, butt I don't think the drive or the boot file is the issue.

I only used the 1tb drive because that's the only drive I had available.

My previous attempts have all been with a 500gb drive.

I noticed that when I used the "cp boot /Volumes/Chambu" command in

step 3, it never replaced the boot file that had been placed there from my first

attempt using the Support Files V1.3.3.

The only way that file changes is if I manually copy it (cut and paste) from my

working SL drive. And then, even when I used the original boot file from

back in September I still got the flashing cursor.

The only way I could get to boot was by using the Chameleon installer from

your first set of Support Files.

I will read your link and then I will erase the Chambu partition and follow the

directions in part 3 to recreate the Chambu partition.

Thans for your assistance on this as I am baffled as to why the Chameleon Installer

is the only way I can get to boot.

I only used the 1tb drive because that's the only drive I had available.

My previous attempts have all been with a 500gb drive.

Okay, but we can rule out the 1TB drive completely as you're using it now.

step 3, it never replaced the boot file that had been placed there from my first

working SL drive.

Copying and Pasting in the Finder for boot is fine and shouldn't be a problem.

Out of interest, does Dr. Hurt's Chameleon RC5 pre8 installer work for you too?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1404132

Last night while watching Nascar I decided to try your boot file from post 2876.

I booted from my working SL and looked at my ChamBU partition on my backup

drive (the 1tb) and I noticed that the boot file that was visible there on my successful

boot after using the Chameleon loader package was no longer visible. I showed all

visible files and indeed it was now hidden.

I figured no big deal, I'll just use the CP terminal command and replace it with

the boot file from your post. Issued cp command, checked the ChamBU partition

and the boot file had not changed. I don't know why, but the cp command never

seems to do a thing. Anyway. I dragged the hidden boot file to the trash and copied

and pasted your boot file to my ChamBU partition.

Rebooted, selected backup drive (1tb) to boot from, and Cham started and booted

from my SLBU.

Just a reminder though that the 1tb drive was working ok with the boot file from

your original guide back in September.

So, the 1tb drive is not an issue, the boot file from Sept. works, and the boot

file from your post 2876 works.

It appears that the instructions in your latest Part 3 PDF may be the issue.

What do each of those lines do?

I will use a 500gb drive today and just use the RC5 installer from your 2878 post

along with the boot file from your Support Files V1.3.3 and see what happens.

I find this a very interesting and challenging problem. Even though there is a

workaround, I'd rather solve the issue so that my hack closely follows your guide.

Thanks for your efforts on this.

I have redone the part 3 test and also tried the RC5.

Attached is PDF of results.

Retry_Part_3.pdf

Hi snifferpro

I still don't know why it doesn't work for you. The instructions to install Chameleon manually in my PDF have worked for me and everyone else here so why it doesn't work for you has to be down to something really simple. :D and I agree now that it doesn't have anything to do with your 1TB drive.

It appears that the instructions in your latest Part 3 PDF may be the issue.

What do each of those lines do?

In part 3 PDF I have explained:

For this install guide, the technical installation of Chameleon involves installing three files and creating one folder.

• Write boot0 to the first 440 bytes of the Master Boot Record (MBR) of the drive.

• Write boot1h to the partition’s bootsector which Chameleon will be installed to.

• Write boot to the partition which will hold Chameleon’s /Extra folder.

• Create a folder named Extra

If you want to know more about how the fdisk and dd commands work then in terminal, type man followed by the command to bring up he details.

But when it comes down to it, it's no big deal as all we each really want is a working system. So just stick to what works for you, and in your case Dr Hurt's RC5 pe8 installer does. And the fact that you can boot your system after running the pre-release RC5 installer points to the installation of the boot0 and/or the boot1h files. Maybe when I get some time I can sit down and study your problem properly.

As for installing a different boot file, just use the following tips.

If you already have an existing boot file visible in the Finder then trash it first.

If you already have an existing boot file but hidden then load Terminal and do something like a sudo rm -rf /Volumes/ChamBU/boot

Sorry for the short answer but things are a bit busy for me at the moment.

working SL drive. And then, even when I used the original boot file from

back in September I still got the flashing cursor.

I will read your link and then I will erase the Chambu partition and follow the

directions in part 3 to recreate the Chambu partition.

Thans for your assistance on this as I am baffled as to why the Chameleon Installer

is the only way I can get to boot.

Probably not at all relevant.

After I partitioned the drive into 3 parts. On the desktop I renamed the Chameleon partition to 'Cham'.

It appeared on the desktop as Cham. also diskutil list listed it as 'Cham'

When I got to step 3, in the terminal I couldn't install the boot file to the Volume Cham.

cp boot /Volumes/Cham did not work

Then I typed cp boot (space) and dropped the destination volume into the terminal. I then discovered that the Volume was recognised as being named 'Cham 1' and that was why terminal command "cp boot /Volumes/Cham" did not work.

Hi geithals

Thanks for the post.. I have not tried to rename a volume in the Finder so maybe that's the reason, in your case, it didn't work. But I agree, dragging the target folder to the Terminal is a simple way to make sure you have the correct location (as saves the typing). :)

Hi blackosx,

I used your guide to install snow leopard on my computer. Everything is working perfectly now however i ran into a problem while installing. It was that i was using an ati 4850 graphics card and my snow leopard retail dvd comes with the 10.6.3 update already included in the dvd. So i booted the installer and got garbled screen, i resolved that by using -x flag to install and then after rebooting i replaced three kexts with vanilla 10.6.2 kexts. Those kexts are:

ATISupport.kext

ATIFramebuffer.kext

ATI4800Controller.kext with device-id added

I've noticed that in your dsdt you have no device(EC) or device(lan0) added. what are the benefits of adding them?

can adding device(lan0) eliminate the need for ifconfig or RealtekR1000SL.kext?

also, you haven't updated your dsdt for nearly 5 months, are there any new dsdt patches that i can add to the dsdt?

Thanks in advance

I'm hoping I resolved my every-week-or-so instability of system freezes. I updated my flash plugin (argh flash), and it's been going well for week without a single restart.

However, Finder crashed on me, and couldn't bring it back up. Looked up the error and it was found among real mac uses. Anyways, i went into Disk Utility ran verify disk, and verify disk permissions.

For "Verify disk permissions" I got a ton of "Permissions differ on..." so I did a repair.

For "Verify disk" I got what seems like serious errors, telling me the volume is corrupt, and to boot with the installer to repair the volume.

Is this completely safe to do this? Furthermore, what caused this? Maybe the recent 10.6.3 update? could it be a bad sign and lead to worst things?

Note this install has been going strong otherwise for ~8+months.

Hi Marby

I used your guide to install snow leopard .... however i ran into a problem while installing... using an ati 4850 graphics card and my snow leopard retail dvd comes with the 10.6.3 update already included...

Well done for working out what you need to get your ATI 4850 working and thanks for posting the solution as it may come in handy for others in the same situation. I've never run with an ATI card and therefore never had to deal with the issues associated with getting them running and that's why on the front page and in my PDF guide I point to Netkas' pages for the latest info.

I've noticed that in your dsdt you have no device(EC) or device(lan0) added. what are the benefits of adding them?
I don't know the benefits of adding them. Why do you want to add them?
can adding device(lan0) eliminate the need for ifconfig or RealtekR1000SL.kext?

Not as far as I know but I haven't really worked with DSDT for ages. But if I'm wrong then please enlighten me.

also, you haven't updated your dsdt for nearly 5 months, are there any new dsdt patches that i can add to the dsdt?

The current DSDT posted with this guide works great for me and does it's job so I don't think it needs to be touched. I guess it's the case of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. But if you know different then please post details.

I'm hoping I resolved my every-week-or-so instability of system freezes. I updated my flash plugin (argh flash), and it's been going well for week without a single restart.

Hi EnzoFX :)

Damn flash!.. IIRC I read somewhere Steve Jobs publically stating that Flash was the number 1 cause for issues on macs?

However, Finder crashed on me, and couldn't bring it back up. Looked up the error and it was found among real mac uses. Anyways, i went into Disk Utility ran verify disk, and verify disk permissions.

For "Verify disk permissions" I got a ton of "Permissions differ on..." so I did a repair.

For "Verify disk" I got what seems like serious errors, telling me the volume is corrupt,

There have been a number of occasions with my PowerMac G5 where I have had to force it off or had a loss of power. And it's always recommended to run fsck in single user mode afterwards to repair any discrepencies with the internal files/databases etc. So even with everyday running for your Mac/hack it's wise to run disk utility ever now and then.

and to boot with the installer to repair the volume.

Is this completely safe to do this?

Perfectly safe. And as you're not booting from the main system, disk utility can make corrections to files that it can't when the system is running, also try running Disk Utility's routines a couple of times.

Furthermore, what caused this? Maybe the recent 10.6.3 update? could it be a bad sign and lead to worst things?

I don't know but as I said above maybe the errors were caused from a power failure or the need to force off the machine due to a system crash. I don't think it will have anything to do with Apple's updates in general as everyone would be posting issues about it.

Hi blackosx

just would like to thank you for the excelent documentation on upgrading to 10.6.3. The idea of having a spare partition for a backup Mac OS X installation really pays back when we are doing these upgrades.

Thanks a lot!

Thanks to everyone for posting in this thread and to BlackOSX for the tutorial.

I posted some time ago that I was having a KP everytime I tried to boot into SL. Was getting the CPU 1 error during boot.

Decided to revisit the thread last night and downloaded the 1.3.3 support files and gave it another go. Replaced the dsdt and other files and it booted into SL for the first time! Downloaded the PCI drivers for my MOTU audio card and had audio!

Downloaded RAlink for the wireless card, and it all went to {censored} again.

Took and deep breath and walked away. Came back tonight and reinstalled SL and made sure all the 1.3.3 files were on the Chameleon partition and I can't get past the kernel panic again. It's killing me-I think this hackintosh is trying to teach me a lesson.

I'd run 10.5.6, but I can't get my audio card(or wireless) to work.

Any ideas if there may be a kext I'm not using and should be, or vice versa? I have the appleHDA, fakesmc, legacyHDA(running 10.6), nullCPU, Orangeiconfix and sleep enabler. I believe these were the ones I had in last night when successful.

BTW, Is there a way to search a thread? I couldn't read through the 145 pages of this thread-sorry guys! :-(

Hello blackosx!

First of all, thank you for the great guide. I installed Snow Leopard yesterday by following it and now I'm on 10.6.3 and my hackintosh is working great, better than I expected.

I have a slight different motherboard than you (GA-P35-DS3 - ICH9R and ALC889a) so I had to make a couple of changes. I didn't use your DSDT (I used this one with a lot of fixes for my mobo) and then I modified it for audio (HDEF/LegacyHDA) and AppleLPC (using a device-id). Everything is working fine, except for shutdown. Sleep and Restart are working (using NullCPUPowerManagement and SleepEnabler, because I'm still having some problems when trying to enable SpeedStep in my DSDT which I'll try to solve later).

I saw in the "What's New" part of the guide that you modified your DSDT to fix the Shutdown issue. Since I'm not using your DSDT, that's probably the reason Shutdown isn't working here yet. So I was wondering if you could tell me what exactly did you change in your DSDT to fix Shutdown, then maybe I can do the same here to see if it would fix mine.

Thanks again for all the effort you put in this guide!

@blackosx

i just got a hand of a 4850, i followed your guide preparing the memory stick, i used your extra files with PCefi10.6,

but i keep getting kernel panic saying "unable to find driver for this platform::: ACPI".

I have tried with safe mode, 32 bit mode everything, and i just couldn't get into the install screen.

any ideas?

Reference Snow leopard v10.6.3

Motherboard 'GA-EP45-DS3R' BIOS vF11e

Graphics card 'ATI HD3870x2'

After following the above installation notes I am having a few issues which may be affecting others as follows:

1: The PC does not shut-down, reboot or wake up from sleep mode. This is true irrespective of if the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext/SleepEnabler.kext file pair are present or not in /E/E. If anyone has any ideas as to how to stop this, I would be glad to hear them. Note that I am using a DSDT.aml file tailored specifically to my motherboard and version of BIOS.

2: My HP CP3525x LaserJet printer was working fine until I installed Bonjour on the Cham partition and redetected the printer. Since then although the printer settings have not changed, the printer no longer prints duplex pages. I have tried a number of documents, but they all print single sided. Any suggestions as to what may be causing this would be appreciated.

3: When booting there comes a point when the video drivers are switched from those being used by Chameleon to those used by Snow leopard, during that transition my display displays a highly corrupted output. It would nice if the video drivers could be imported across to the Cham partition from the desired OSX partition.

4: The Kext utility provide cannot find the /E/E folder, presumably because it's not on the same partition as Snow Leopard. Is there a way to specify where it kext utility should look for this folder path?

If any of these questions seem a bit dumb, then please accept my apologies, but I am very new to this game.

Regards

Richard

Sorry for the delay in replies here, but I have been away and very busy. And to be honest, after 8 months of support in this thread I think I have covered most issues that could arise for the GA-EP45-DS3L with the list of hardware that is outlined at the start of this thread. As a result, I need to announce that I will be spending less time answering general questions here though I will still post when it comes to the latest updates.

But just to answer some of the latest ones here.. :whistle:

Decided to revisit the thread last night and downloaded the 1.3.3 support files and gave it another go. Replaced the dsdt and other files and it booted into SL for the first time! Downloaded the PCI drivers for my MOTU audio card and had audio!

Downloaded RAlink for the wireless card, and it all went to {censored} again.

Hi Rovah. I think you have answered your own question, and it's your wireless card which is giving you issues. Have you searched for other users of your card and seen how they have got it working on a hack?

Took and deep breath and walked away. Came back tonight and reinstalled SL and made sure all the 1.3.3 files were on the Chameleon partition and I can't get past the kernel panic again. It's killing me-I think this hackintosh is trying to teach me a lesson.

There must be something you are doing differently this time around as first time you were up and running (before trying to get the wireless card working).

I'd run 10.5.6, but I can't get my audio card(or wireless) to work.

All I can suggest is to find others who have got the same hardware working and find out how they did it. I have and can only offer support for the hardware which I use and outline at the start of this thread. Any other devices etc. are down to you to get working.

Any ideas if there may be a kext I'm not using and should be, or vice versa? I have the appleHDA, fakesmc, legacyHDA(running 10.6), nullCPU, Orangeiconfix and sleep enabler. I believe these were the ones I had in last night when successful.

For the basic install I describe in this thread, you have the kexts I mention. Though you can run without nullCPU, SleepEnabler and Orangeiconfix.

BTW, Is there a way to search a thread? I couldn't read through the 145 pages of this thread-sorry guys! :-(

I agree, it's not easy using the InsanelyMac search as it's de-funct.. Hopefully a Google search can help maybe?

I have a slight different motherboard than you (GA-P35-DS3 - ICH9R and ALC889a).....

Everything is working fine, except for shutdown......

So I was wondering if you could tell me what exactly did you change in your DSDT to fix Shutdown, then maybe I can do the same here to see if it would fix mine.

Hi cheapo

Sorry for not having the exact details to hand, but you need to read the Gigabyte DSDT Fix thread and search for mm67's shutdown fix. I don't know exactly where it was, but you can start reading from this post to hopefully find it.

i just got a hand of a 4850, i followed your guide preparing the memory stick, i used your extra files with PCefi10.6,

but i keep getting kernel panic saying "unable to find driver for this platform::: ACPI".

I have tried with safe mode, 32 bit mode everything, and i just couldn't get into the install screen.

any ideas?

Hi muitommy

Sorry to bounce this back to you but I haven't had any experience with ATI cards. Can you try using an Nvidia Card? If that works then you will need to read one of the many other threads on this forum dedicated to working with ATI cards.

Hi muitommy

Sorry to bounce this back to you but I haven't had any experience with ATI cards. Can you try using an Nvidia Card? If that works then you will need to read one of the many other threads on this forum dedicated to working with ATI cards.

:(

that's okay, thanks anyway.

I am able to got pass that, and got a nearly perfect system. One of reg from my signature is working perfectly now, the only thing left is my another reg with a 4850 can't sleep probably, i would try to search more for the solutions :/

Reference Snow leopard v10.6.3

Motherboard 'GA-EP45-DS3R' BIOS vF11e

Graphics card 'ATI HD3870x2'

1: The PC does not shut-down, reboot or wake up from sleep mode. This is true irrespective of if the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext/SleepEnabler.kext file pair are present or not in /E/E. If anyone has any ideas as to how to stop this, I would be glad to hear them. Note that I am using a DSDT.aml file tailored specifically to my motherboard and version of BIOS.

Hi Richard

You know this already but this thread is specifically for the EP45-DS3L, so when following it exactly for a different mobo you will have to do some research on threads dedicated for that.

Shutdown is handled by a DSDT edit. You will need to see if it's been added in your DSDT. Search for mm67's shutdown fix to find out what's needed.

Restart is enabled by the bootloader but amended the FACP/FADT table in ACPI, so make sure you're using a bootloader newer than Chameleon v2 RC4 r684.

2: My HP CP3525x LaserJet printer was working fine until I installed Bonjour on the Cham partition and redetected the printer. Since then although the printer settings have not changed, the printer no longer prints duplex pages. I have tried a number of documents, but they all print single sided. Any suggestions as to what may be causing this would be appreciated.

No idea. Have you searched to find anyone else successfully using that printer with 10.6.3?

If your printer was working fine before install bonjour then either try a different method to enable bonjour (you've two options - ifconfig or RealtekR1000.kext), or disable bonjour completely.

3: When booting there comes a point when the video drivers are switched from those being used by Chameleon to those used by Snow leopard, during that transition my display displays a highly corrupted output. It would nice if the video drivers could be imported across to the Cham partition from the desired OSX partition.

I state in this thread that I have no experience with ATI cards and point to Netkas' pages on ATI for a decent starting point. There are also many dedicated threads aimed at supporting them and depending on your card, some options are easy, others more taxing.

4: The Kext utility provide cannot find the /E/E folder, presumably because it's not on the same partition as Snow Leopard. Is there a way to specify where it kext utility should look for this folder path?

Kext Utility won't know about the cham partition as that's just a name I made up for this install. The partition could have been named boot, fred, betty or anything you like :D I don't use kext utility anyhow as the cham partition can have the kext's added by drag & drop in the Finder and with this guide I don't use an extensions.mkext in /Extra. And when I need to add anything to /S/L/E, like the amended AppleHDA.kext for 10.6.3, I add it by hand.

If any of these questions seem a bit dumb, then please accept my apologies, but I am very new to this game.

No worries, There is still a lot I don't know. :D

Thank you so much for your time and effort! I am absolutely new to Mac an Hackintosh. I bought a preinstalled machine on ebay. Right now I upgraded to 10.6.3. Thanks to your excellent documentation it works like a charm - even I could do it (with sweaty palms, though ;) )

Thanks again!

Häckmäck

First, thanks to blackosx for this incredible guide, lot of work for sure.

Second, I have a problem with the bootcd. I have a P35-DS3L with SATA HD and CD/DVD, I saw a lot of positives replies from people using this mb and you saying that the bootcd is 'very generic' but I already burnt 4 cds and nothing.

I use your cdboot, deleting the original Support Files and adding the v1.3.3 ones with a ISO edit software in Windows. 3 CD-R can't boot and the only one that can boot start a loop with the cdboot, init, etc lines and never stop.

- I have to edit the ISO and update it with the v1.3.3 Support Files?

Please, SOMEBODY give me a hand, I'm desesperatly because I need to finish my work! :(

UPDATE: some hours later and the non working boot cdroms increase to 6. The most strange thing was the original cdboot v1.07 without changes burnt with Disc Utility and didn't worked too!

@ BLACKOSX & All Contributors

Thanks to reading all 145 pages over the last 2 weeks & your outstanding guide, i can write this on my new ( and 1st !!! ) hackintosh ! :D

The hardest time was waiting for the hardware, installation went like a charm !!

I own a MBP 2.2 and used the USB method for installing, but somehow i couldn't manage to restore the Install DVD as you mentioned in your guide ( Part 2 1B 1./2. ).

There was no chance to restore the mounted image, so i did it straight from the DVD and saved a lot of time btw.

I'm on 10.6.3 now, and the only things left to fix are audio (889a) & onboard firewire & my bluetooth devices (keyboard/mouse).

Thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge and experience.

I hope i can give back some of mine in the future.

!Xabbu

SOLVED! :wacko:

After reading again, line by line all the pdfs and a lot of pages from this thread I'm writing right now from SL! THANKS blackosx,not only you show a way to install SL, I learnt a lot and now I feel more solid in the osx86 world, thanks man, now I can enjoy a really clean osx. :unsure:

For any people who have the same problem with de cdboot, I try a lot of software in Windows and in Leopard and the only who worked was PowerIso, recommended!