[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

So I read about a DSDT "SBUS" Fix that enables sleep, without needing SleepEnabler.kext. Anyone know more about this? This was on a P55 guide and not sure if it could apply to my setup. Furthermore, would it require to use speedstep, and not disabling the Intel power management kext? I don't think I'll be enabling speedstep anytime soon, but if the two are independent, it'd be worth looking into for me. =)

On another note, something I noticed a while ago and never thought to brought up:

Your guide in making a USB Installer differs from the few others that I've looked at. After formatting/partitioning the Drive, other guides state you must, "Get Info" on the partition on the usb stick, and uncheck the option "Ignore Ownership on this volume" this is done before restoring the DVD SL Image to the partition and before installing Cham onto it.

So... it appears that it doesn't matter, why do they suggest this then?

Hi EnzoFX

I don't know about the DSDT "SBUS" Fix for sleep without SleepEnabler. Since I have been using speedstep, I haven't been using SleepEnabler. But thanks for mentioning it and it sounds like a useful feature. Can you point me to the link?

As the for the USB installer. I am pretty sure the instructions in my guide work as I would have written down the steps I used when doing it. But the only way to be sure now is for me to do it again and let you know. I will try it over the weekend if I get a chance.

Hi I`ll like to know if there some forum or something where is a list for the updates. I mean witch update you can use and witch one you must avoid at least until the write kp arrives.

Today there´s a bonjour, airport, safari 4,04 and security update could I use them?

Hi I`ll like to know if there some forum or something where is a list for the updates. I mean witch update you can use and witch one you must avoid at least until the write kp arrives.

Today there´s a bonjour, airport, safari 4,04 and security update could I use them?

Part 8 of blackosx's guide is about that. Usually security updates are OK. Safari updates are OK practically always. That last bonjour update is definitely OK. I don't know about airport update, but I don't think it can cause any problems.

In general most minor updates are fine. Just when major OS update arrives wait until somebody tries it.

With this build (blackosx') I had no problem with the above update. The update has been out for a week a or so and no complaints by anyone here. That's the beauty of the Vanilla/Chameleon builds!

Hi EnzoFX

I don't know about the DSDT "SBUS" Fix for sleep without SleepEnabler. Since I have been using speedstep, I haven't been using SleepEnabler. But thanks for mentioning it and it sounds like a useful feature. Can you point me to the link?

Link is Here (where it says it is for Sleep). The fix is SMBUS/SBUS and it's a simple addition to a DSDT it seems.

If you dl the "tonymacx86-DSDT-FIXES.zip" filed linked up top, and open up the DSL doc. It states:

DIRECTIONS: Add this block of code directly before HDEF (AZAL) leaving one line between.

Necessary for other fixes. It does not state if Speedstep needs to be setup or if it's dependent on anything else.

Device (BUS0)
			{
				Name (_CID, "smbus")
				Name (_ADR, Zero)
				Device (DVL0)
				{
					Name (_ADR, 0x57)
					Name (_CID, "diagsvault")
					Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
					{
						Store (Package (0x03)
							{
								"address", 
								0x57, 
								Buffer (One)
								{
									0x00
								}
							}, Local0)
						DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
						Return (Local0)
					}
				}
			}

As the for the USB installer. I am pretty sure the instructions in my guide work as I would have written down the steps I used when doing it. But the only way to be sure now is for me to do it again and let you know. I will try it over the weekend if I get a chance.

Yeah, that is what I meant, they've worked perfectly for me a handful of times on different systems. So then it appears that it does not matter whether the option is checked of unchecked. I was wondering if you knew why there would be a discrepancy here?

On another note, just got a BT Apple KB =D, and... well I can't wake from sleep using it (I can otherwise) =/. Also, after sleep, I have to manually reconnect it.

I have UHCI/EHCI fixes in dsdt and I've tried two different BT USB dongles/adapters. I believe Apple only really supports one 3rd party adapter, a D-Link DBT-120 and even with that one, they state some revisions may not work to allow wake from sleep. I guess I'm wondering if there's any possible fixes? before I go out and buy another adapter =/

Yes, I agree with titan4 and Johnny V that I have had no issues with any minor updates from Apple and so far it's been safe to do them all. When I refer to minor updates I mean any updates that do not raise the OS version number i.e. 10.6.1, 10.6.2 and soon to be 10.6.3.

Link is Here (where it says it is for Sleep). The fix is SMBUS/SBUS and it's a simple addition to a DSDT it seems.

If you dl the "tonymacx86-DSDT-FIXES.zip" filed linked up top, and open up the DSL doc. It states:

DIRECTIONS: Add this block of code directly before HDEF (AZAL) leaving one line between.

Necessary for other fixes. It does not state if Speedstep needs to be setup or if it's dependent on anything else.

Yeah, that is what I meant, they've worked perfectly for me a handful of times on different systems. So then it appears that it does not matter whether the option is checked of unchecked. I was wondering if you knew why there would be a discrepancy here?

Thanks for the pointer EnzoFX, I will hopefully find some time to look at it this weekend B)

I will come back to you with an exact answer on the bootable USB installer.

On another note, just got a BT Apple KB =D, and... well I can't wake from sleep using it (I can otherwise) =/. Also, after sleep, I have to manually reconnect it.

I have UHCI/EHCI fixes in dsdt and I've tried two different BT USB dongles/adapters. I believe Apple only really supports one 3rd party adapter, a D-Link DBT-120 and even with that one, they state some revisions may not work to allow wake from sleep. I guess I'm wondering if there's any possible fixes? before I go out and buy another adapter =/

Unfortunately I haven't used a bluetooth keyboard and mouse so I can't help you here.

There is something wrong with your dsdt if bluetooth doesn't work after sleep, probably something wrong with your UHCI/EHCI fixes.

There is something wrong with your dsdt if bluetooth doesn't work after sleep, probably something wrong with your UHCI/EHCI fixes.

Well, it works, it just requires a manual disconnect/reconnect for the keyboard. So I guess the issue is that the connection doesn't remain through the sleep cycle? Could it still be my uhci/ehci fix?

Well, it works, it just requires a manual disconnect/reconnect for the keyboard. So I guess the issue is that the connection doesn't remain through the sleep cycle? Could it still be my uhci/ehci fix?

It sounds very much like your EHCI devices are not working properly, what happens if you plug in a usb stick and put system to sleep. Error message on wake up ? I am currently using a bluetooth mouse and I never have such symptoms.

It sounds very much like your EHCI devices are not working properly, what happens if you plug in a usb stick and put system to sleep. Error message on wake up ? I am currently using a bluetooth mouse and I never have such symptoms.

No error messages, I know what you are referring to, I got those before I applied the UHCI/EHCI fixes in my dsdt.

I don't fully understand what this does and maybe mm67 can shed some light on it but I have tried adding it to the existing section of my DSDT (with Speedstep data removed) along with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in /E/E but without SleepEnabler.kext. The system doesn't sleep properly, with it.

blackosx, I have a Nvidia GeForce 9800GT 512MB video card. Do I have to use any EFI string, enabler kext to get it to work or will your DSDT along with Chameleon be able to pick it up natively?

It should work with GraphicsEnabler option but it's worth checking with other users with the same card.

I don't fully understand what this does and maybe mm67 can shed some light on it but I have tried adding it to the existing section of my DSDT (with Speedstep data removed) along with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in /E/E but without SleepEnabler.kext. The system doesn't sleep properly, with it.

It should work with GraphicsEnabler option but it's worth checking with other users with the same card.

If you use NullCPUPowerManagement.kext then you are stuck with SleepEnabler also.

blackosx, I have a Nvidia GeForce 9800GT 512MB video card. Do I have to use any EFI string, enabler kext to get it to work or will your DSDT along with Chameleon be able to pick it up natively?

The same dsdt should work. A 9800gt is the same thing as a 8800gt. Even the earlier revisions are exactly the same, it was only later on that they received a die shrink so as to run cooler, this of course doesn't change anything in terms of driver. The difference in EFI string or whatever, is that the enabler changes the cosmetic "8800gt" references to "9800gt" so it will show up as an 8800gt, but work as it's supposed to.

I have updated PDF guides Part 2/3/4 and the Support Files to include installing Chameleon's stage 0 bootloader (boot0) with fdisk440 which will only write to the first 440bytes of the MBR. This is a good practice to get used to using especially if you dual boot with windows as it won't destroy any of the code that Windows Vista/7 had previously written there.

The latest builds of Chameleon will also include a boot0hfs file which allows booting Chameleon from a non-active partition. Again, essential for dual booting with Windows7 as it won't sleep properly if not on the active partition.

See the front page news, and the files for more info.

On another note, something I noticed a while ago and never thought to brought up:

Your guide in making a USB Installer differs from the few others that I've looked at. After formatting/partitioning the Drive, other guides state you must, "Get Info" on the partition on the usb stick, and uncheck the option "Ignore Ownership on this volume" this is done before restoring the DVD SL Image to the partition and before installing Cham onto it.

So... it appears that it doesn't matter, why do they suggest this then?

I will come back to you with an exact answer on the bootable USB installer.

This weekend I have gone through a few procedures of creating a bootable USB installer and I can tell you that I don't manually get info on the installer and uncheck the 'Ignore Ownership....' as it seems to done automatically when going through the procedure.

But as a result of my tests I have re-written the procedure, in section 1B of Part 2 of the PDF guides, to make it simpler. If you want to have a go following it, I will be interested in hearing your feedback.

If you use NullCPUPowerManagement.kext then you are stuck with SleepEnabler also.

I am happy our systems sleep perfectly well when running without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, but as EnzoFX doesn't use the speedstep implementation then I understand he was looking for a DSDT fix to replace SleepEnabler. I guess the fix he found must be specific for the P55 chipset that he took it from?

I am happy our systems sleep perfectly well when running without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, but as EnzoFX doesn't use the speedstep implementation then I understand he was looking for a DSDT fix to replace SleepEnabler. I guess the fix he found must be specific for the P55 chipset that he took it from?

Seems strange that P55 boards would require device SBUS in dsdt for sleep, my board certainly doesn't need it. I only have SBUS in dsdt to suppress error messages from logs.