[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

rumli:

It seems likely, it appears to support AHCI so just remember to enable that in BIOS.

blackosx:

Yeah that's pretty much it. Though I never really understood the fix heh, though in that guide, he too is using speedstep properly and without NullCpu...kext. So I was confused.

Regarding my BT issues, I went ahead and got the Apple support D-Link DBT-120 and will see if that allows me to wake from sleep using the Wireless KB, there's even firmware that allows it to work in the BIOS, sweet.

Hi all!

Fantastic guide!

I have a GA-EP45T-DS3R, which I was able to use this guide and install with out any issues. The only (main, important to me) difference between our two boards is that mine has the ALC889A HDA chip while yours has the ALC888. Needless to say, my sound is not working / does not show any device for audio input / output.

Is there anyone who can lead me to the best way to get my sound working?

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!

;)

Hi JackButler

I am happy you found the steps in the guide useful.

Very helpful indeed. :P

btw, I do think the kernel panics that I mentioned I was having are from using the IDE drive. But it's what I had laying around and just a test before I buy another SATA.

I experience the same thing all the time when running in iDeneb (on SATA drive) while my Windows 7 (IDE drive) is connected in the system. I plan on replacing the windows drive with SATA also.

Blackosx:

Going through your updated guides. So which Cham mod is running in the USB Installer? just curious. Maybe I missed it.

Also, you mention that not using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext would increase temps IF HPET isn't configured in the dsdt, I believe mine is (from following your dsdt guide a while ago). So I could take this kext out just fine? Even though I don't have speedstep setup in the BIOS or in the dsdt? Just trying to understand this better.

Also, regardless of board, I could to only use the orangeIconFix kext for SATA if I want eSATA functionality? That is as opposed to any other SATA fix. What about with ICH9? Can I then add a SATA to eSATA adapter? Or would I need that BlockStorageInjector kext for eSATA? hmm..

Seems strange that P55 boards would require device SBUS in dsdt for sleep, my board certainly doesn't need it. I only have SBUS in dsdt to suppress error messages from logs.

Yeah. I don't understand it either.

This guide does with abit ip35 motherboard? ( Abit IP35 )

:P

The guide is fairly generic, but you will need your own DSDT and work out which kexts/mods are required for your motherboard. Search around for other users with your mobo and see what they are using to enable OS X to run. Only when you have all the relevant information you could maybe try this install, replacing your files with the one's I point to in the guide. But don't ask for support in this thread as nobody here will know about your board.

blackosx:

Yeah that's pretty much it. Though I never really understood the fix heh, though in that guide, he too is using speedstep properly and without NullCpu...kext. So I was confused.

For a quick overview, we all used to disable AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext for running our hacks, but when apple released 10.5.8, they changed the kernel and it would no longer allow the system to sleep if didn't receive a certain message from AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. The solution was to either use a DSDT with a patched HPET device and not disable AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, or use a kext developed by pista7 to effectively send to the kernel that should have come from AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

Running the patched DSDT and allowing AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext to run meant our systems now slept correctly though a trade off was the CPU temps went up by maybe 5-10°C. Enter speedstep!.. Intel's technology made to work on our hacks with the hard work of many clever individuals, which you can see in the Vanilla Speedstep thread has allowed us to implement CPU stepping which allows us reduce the power supplied to the CPU when we aren't using it heavily. The benefit of using stepping with lower power, is lower temps.

So I guess that P55 board you read about, even though it's running with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and speedstep, won't sleep without that DSDT fix.

I believe mine is (from following your dsdt guide a while ago). So I could take this kext out just fine?

Yes. But if you're unsure then build yourself a Chameleon boot USB or have the BootCD to hand and test they work for you. Then try removing NullCPUPM.... from E/E and see what happens :)

Blackosx:

Going through your updated guides. So which Cham mod is running in the USB Installer? just curious. Maybe I missed it.

I am not sure I understand you here.. The Cham partition just holds whatever files are needed to boot the system. For the updated guide and Support Files I have used the same kexts as previously used, but have just updated the Chameleon files to one of the later builds and added the generic DSDT v5 which used to be a separate download on the front of this thread.

Also, regardless of board, I could to only use the orangeIconFix kext for SATA if I want eSATA functionality? That is as opposed to any other SATA fix. What about with ICH9? Can I then add a SATA to eSATA adapter? Or would I need that BlockStorageInjector kext for eSATA? hmm..

The OrangeIconFix will change SATA drives from having orange icons to make them have internal drive icons. As our mobo uses ICH10 then we don't need any other SATA fix. I am not sure on the best practice for ICH9 as I have never had to use it. Maybe do a quick search for a different install guide for a mobo using ICH9 and see what they use?

Right, I was wondering what Cham build it was exactly. Is it necessary to use that new boothfs or fdisk440 file? Those are new to me =P. I'm guessing it has to do with it being more dual-boot friendly?

Regarding the OrangeIconFix (Which I do understand is purely cosmetic), assuming the board is ICH10, then there is no extra kext needed. I just wanted to confirm that, as I seem to recall your earlier guides using IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext.

The build of Chameleon in the current Support Files v1.1 is RC5 pre-release rev102. Looking at the current state of RC5 then latest rev is now 109.

It's a good idea for everybody to get used to using fdisk440 for everything from now on, not just dual booting. It saves confusion when we refer to using fdisk, as some people would use OS X's default fdisk rather than the fdisk that came with the Chameleon binaries.

But if you want to install Chameleon on an HDD where Windows7 has already been installed then writing boot0hfs to the MBR with fdisk440 will leave the Windows7 code intact.

And yes, you could run without OrangeIconfix.kext as it just changes your icons.

I have a GA-EP45T-DS3R, which I was able to use this guide and install with out any issues. The only (main, important to me) difference between our two boards is that mine has the ALC889A HDA chip while yours has the ALC888. Needless to say, my sound is not working / does not show any device for audio input / output.

Take a look at your original DSDT file generated from Windows using iASLMe. ALC889A data should be at the bottom of the file.

Here's what mine looks like in the DSDT that I'm using now:

}

Device (HDEF)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
               Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Return (Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0D, 
                       0x05
                   })
               }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x08)
                       {
                           "codec-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x89, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
                           }, 

"layout-id", 
                           /**** Is ResourceTemplate, but EndTag not at buffer end ****/ Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x79, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"device-type", 
                           Buffer (0x10)
                           {
                               "Realtek ALC889a"
                           }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (0x18)
                           {
                               /* 0000 */    0x10, 0x44, 0x11, 0x01, 0x20, 0x14, 0x01, 0x01, 
                               /* 0008 */    0x40, 0x4C, 0x21, 0x02, 0x50, 0x34, 0x81, 0x01, 
                               /* 0010 */    0x60, 0x9C, 0xA1, 0x02, 0xF0, 0x61, 0x4B, 0x01
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }
           }
       }

You'll also need one of the ALC889a LegacyHDA.kexts that are attached:

LegacyHDA_889__ALC889a__chamel_extra_extensions.zip

Take a look at your original DSDT file generated from Windows using iASLMe. ALC889A data should be at the bottom of the file.

Thank you Johnny V and EnzoFX,

I will get to work on putting your info to use and see if I can get it working.

Thank you.

Mammoth

Here's what mine looks like in the DSDT that I'm using now:

}

Device (HDEF)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
{
Return (Package (0x02)
{
0x0D, 
0x05
})
}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x08)
{
"codec-id", 
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x89, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
}, 

"layout-id", 
/**** Is ResourceTemplate, but EndTag not at buffer end ****/ Buffer (0x04)
{
0x79, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
}, 

"device-type", 
Buffer (0x10)
{
"Realtek ALC889a"
}, 

"PinConfigurations", 
Buffer (0x18)
{
/* 0000 */ 0x10, 0x44, 0x11, 0x01, 0x20, 0x14, 0x01, 0x01, 
/* 0008 */ 0x40, 0x4C, 0x21, 0x02, 0x50, 0x34, 0x81, 0x01, 
/* 0010 */ 0x60, 0x9C, 0xA1, 0x02, 0xF0, 0x61, 0x4B, 0x01
}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}
}
}

Hi Johnny V,

I've been looking for iASLMe, but all I seem to be able to find are versions for running under OS X. Is there a file I can retrieve from my Vista install that I then run with iASLMe under OS X? If so, what is the name and location of this file under Vista?

Thanks so much for your help!

Mammoth

Hi Johnny V,

I've been looking for iASLMe, but all I seem to be able to find are versions for running under OS X. Is there a file I can retrieve from my Vista install that I then run with iASLMe under OS X? If so, what is the name and location of this file under Vista?

Thanks so much for your help!

Mammoth

Oh sorry it's been a while since I've done this. It's iASL:

http://cid-8b65993ef55cf014.skydrive.live....%20Leopard/DSDT

In the above link I downloaded the Patcher02Beta5 and iASL is in there.

Another link with latest build?

http://www.acpica.org/downloads/binary_tools.php

I have searched through this entire thread, and I cannot find anything. I've followed your guide to a "T" starting off with this, and I cannot, for the life of me, get the damn installer to load. It just sits at the Apple screen for HOURS! And I know you said be patient, but that's too damn patient.

I created a USB Boot Disk with my MacBook Pro (want a hackintosh so I can have a desktop mac as well) and I've tried that, and the retail install dvd, and nothing. I can't get it to go anywhere.

Although, I have the P35-DS3L motherboard; I've read on other forms that this guide worked flawlessly for them as well, so why the hell am I having so many issues!! I've gotten 10.5.8 to install (I know, it's completely different, just let me {censored} for a minute).

Here are my specs as of now:

P35-DS3L Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo - E8500 @ 3.01 GHz

Corsair XMS2 8GB DDR2 RAM

320GB SATA 7200 RPM Drive

CD/DVD SATA Drive

ATI 3800 HD @ 1GB (Which, I read that these cards MIGHT not work, but would it cause the installer not to even load?)

Thanks, if there's anything else I can supply, please let me know and I'll get the information. I've searched Google, and read this stuff until my eyes started bleeding. So if I missed it; I apologize.

I created a USB Boot Disk with my MacBook Pro (want a hackintosh so I can have a desktop mac as well) and I've tried that, and the retail install dvd, and nothing. I can't get it to go anywhere.

Why don't you try BootCD method ? It is really simplest method and for me it never failed.

Why don't you try BootCD method ? It is really simplest method and for me it never failed.

Yeah; from the guide, 1A: That's the method that I am using. And it just sits there and spins, nothing else.

But for some reason when I use his BootCD that he made, it doesn't show his logo and the spinning circle, it shows the Apple and the spinning circle.

I set the BIOS up the right way the guide says. when the Chameleon bootloader comes up, I take the disk out (or if I am trying the flash stick) I select Mac OS X Install DVD, and then it starts... And then nothing.

EDIT: Well; I finally got the installer to work. I remade the USB Boot, and it works... But now the video is all eeff'ed up. My dual monitors work, but it looks like the screen resolution is WAY outside what they can do. I saw in the com.apple.boot.plist weird screen resolution, but I don't think changing that made any difference. I have 24" monitors and they usually support 1920 x 1080; so I don't know what's going on. May be an issue since I am using a ATI card. I will look into that issue, if anyone has any idea how to fix this before I update again; feel free to save me some research time.

WOW! I just got done with my upgrade from 10.5.X to 10.6 and it was SO much easier than my 10.4.x or even the 10.5.x. You have done an amazing job making a guide that (as long as you are paying attention) works flawlessly. I remember the last two installs taking 30+ (10.4) and 10+ (10.5) hours to figure out all of the bugs/mistakes I made. Just an incredible job.

I was checking on updates though and didn't see how to fix the update to 10.6.2.

"10.6.2

Caution: Apple changed the kernel.

Action: SleepEnabler, if used, needs replacing with a newer version specifically for 10.6.2.

SleepEnabler.kext was developed to send the kernel a certain command to allow sleep whilst disabling AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. Because Apple changed the kernel the old SleepEnabler will cause a kernel panic."

Maybe the guide made me lazy and I started to expect all my problems to be solved by clicking a link from your guide....but is there a fix for this? Or am I better off staying away from 10.6.2 for now?

Support Files v1.2

I have just updated the Support Files to v1.2. They now include Chameleon RC5 pre-release build 112 which has working, though not complete, memory detection by Rekursor.:P

Follow the steps in 'Part 3 - Installing Chameleon' PDF to install.

I have a feeling an official RC5 release is coming soon so you can either use the latest build from my Support Files or wait and see what happens ;)

@ uptosomething - you need to boot in to your 10.6 (.1) system, have my Support Files handy, then click to download and update to 10.6.2 for Software Update. While it's downloading and installing:

• Open the Support Files

• Find the SleepEnabler.kext and LegacyHDA.kext from /Part4/3/Kexts/For 10.6.2/

• Copy them to your /E/E folder on the Cham partition, replacing the ones you currently have there.

Then providing you don't have a GeForce 7 series video card, reboot after the update has completed and you'll be fine.

@Squeaky369 - I don't think the ATI 3 series cards are capable of supporting QE/CI with Snow Leopard. You might have to change your video card. See Netkas' pages for more info about ATI support.

Why was it necessary to update the LegacyHDA kext when going from 10.6.1 to 10.6.2? I am using the same kext from 10.6.1 now in .2 and haven't had an issue (I think =P).

The older LegachyHDA will still work with 10.6.2 but you will get some errors in the kernel.log. The revised one resolves this. I can't remember now exactly what the errors were though.

Ah I see, thanks =)

Are you using the 4outs2ins kext? That's what I've been using. I went to his thread and it looks like I have to edit the kext myself... hmm didn't see them specify 10.6.2 ready, only instructions on how to apply the fix. What's the difference between the "regular headphone" and "HDA headphone"? I guess I should really be asking there too =P

Edit: Looks like I gotta edit it. heh

I also remember you using 3outs2ins, otherwise I'd just use yours =P. Though right now, I don't remember if I used "regular headphones" or the "HDA headphones" kext, haven't figured out the difference.

Squeaky369: You may need to use netkas pcefi boot file, better supports ATI cards.

Also, I have the same board, but with a 9800gt in dsdt for gfx, so I could provide my dsdt if it'd be helpful.

Thanks. I picked up a cheap 9500 GT @ 512MB today; so if you wanna PM me that DSDT, or post it, that'd be great. It'd save be a bit of time.

Thanks. I picked up a cheap 9500 GT @ 512MB today; so if you wanna PM me that DSDT, or post it, that'd be great. It'd save be a bit of time.

You don't need gfx support in DSDT. Just use GraphicsEnabler.

I just wanted to say thank you very much for the very well thought out guide Blackosx.

I now have a perfectly running 10.6.2 system on my EP45-UD3L. I followed this guide exactly and have been very happy with a fully functional system for nearly a month now.

EP45-UD3L

Q9300 intel core 2 quad

4Gb Corsair 1066mhz

GTX 260