BootThink 2.4.6 (2010-01-28) support ubuntu 9.10 GRUB 2

367 posts in this topic

I tried 2.3.18 and still get the same results. I installed it to the OS X

I get a spinning cursor and before the boot loader starts, the PC reboots.

I have a 10.6.1 vanilla on GPT. Only using OS X - not dual booting.

Installed it to a USB stick and it loads properly and OS X boots and everything works perfectly.

SOS..... PLEASE HELP

you may have too big disk.

booting retail SL DVD, SL & Leo without any issue with 2.3.18 BT : really amazing, thx a lot for this excellent (again) work !!

just an issue for now : being sometimes an idiot, I first installed it onto my SL partition (not the EFI hidden one) whereas it's on a GUID disk.

anyway, I now want to put it into the 200Mb hidden slide, but trying to reinstall, BT doesn't allow me to do it : the EFI option is grayed out : I'm wondering why and how to solve it ... any suggestion ?

I'm having the same problem. Finally, I got SL running on my system using Bootthink on USB and used retail DVD (no restore to USB Drive). Only issue I'm having now is being able to install it to EFI partition of SL hard drive. When I run the Boot Think installer from SL, EFI option isn't enabled and installing from Leopard (10.5) the installer gets stuck half way trying to write bom files to /Library/Receipts/boms/. /Library/Receipts/boms directory doesn't exist under SL. Anyone successfully installed Boot Think 2.3.18 to EFI?

you may have too big disk.

Well not for me, can't say for Dr. Hurt, I have a 186GB drive as GPT boot drive partitioned as - 30GB HFS+ SL - 30GB HFS+ Leo & 125GB FAT32 Free. There is no hidden 200mb partition though so this may be cuasing it to reboot.

Hello, I've a few questions. I've got a compatible system and installed leo retail in the past. I deleted all cause my HDD chrashed and I got a new one. It was only an experiment therefore no data lost .-) I'm searching a solution to install snowleopard without a running mac OSX and without a 132-boot CD. First I wanted to make the usb-stick bootable. OK.. I installed Macdrive into my XP at the other System. Formated it HFS+. But at this point I don't know how to make the stick bootable to boot the retail SL DVD. It's no longer readable under Win.. surprise surprise :-) I'm searching for a manual to do this. googlin a few hours .... but no result how to do... the people only say: i installed onto an usb-stick... but not the way they did it !!

Can anyone help me please ?

cu moby

Thanks for this fantastic bootloader, i have been using it since v1 on a USB.

After waiting for Snow support, i installed the newer version, and on boot, OSX boots fantastically, but if i choose XP, it brings up another bootthink bootloader, with the same option, however choosing XP again actually boots XP. I did not install bootthink to anything other than the USB...

Any clarificatiton would be nice, otherwise i may go back to v 1...

Has someone success with AHCI native ? Since first version i cant get seen any drive if AHCI native.

Do you mean you cannot see your drive icons on your desktop? That's a Snow Leopard thing you can reenable that in your Finder Preferences.

I'm trying to install 10.6 btw but getting a "The installer could not validate the contents of 'Essentials' package." after about 40% of the install.

My guess is that this means the checksum of this file is messed up but this is from a retail disk.

Am I one of the lucky ones with a bad retail disk?

Besides this problem Boot Think is my favorite bootloader so far. :(

I've been using Boot Think for quite a while however I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make it automatically boot after a timeout period the default partition selected.

Any pointers on that one?

I'm interested in this as well.

I've been using Boot Think for quite a while however I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make it automatically boot after a timeout period the default partition selected.

Any pointers on that one?

it's in the pdf manual with the installer as well at this first page of this post (under "6. Boot management setup"), anyway....when you are on the partition/hdd selection screen, press F8 you'll enter in the command line mode then type # b=3 (3sec then boot or whatever value you want) then enter, press esc and you'll come back on the boot gui with the changes applied and if you did everything correct it should automatically boot after your period set of time.

I can tell you think of yourself as intelligent, so I'll just skip ahead with the sledgehammer:

boot-think is under the APSL. APSL section 2.3:

2.3 Distribution of Executable Versions. In addition, if You Externally Deploy Covered Code (Original Code and/or Modifications) in object code, executable form only, You must include a prominent notice, in the code itself as well as in related documentation, stating that Source Code of the Covered Code is available under the terms of this License with information on how and where to obtain such Source Code.

I hope (my helpful, new friend) that you understand that to read that there should be a document somewhere with the binaries that points me to the source. So, if you can point that out to me in the rapidshare link I downloaded boot-think from, I would be interested. It doesn't matter that some OrdinaryJoe packaged it up for OrdinaryJane to use. When there is a release of binaries, there needs to be a link where OrdinaryJane can get the source. Because I got the feeling you were trying to insinuate that I was a dolt, I wanted to point out that I can read the (missing) license quite well.

See if you download Perian, there is a "Read Me.rtf" that covers all their licensing issues (what software Perian uses, their licenses & their svn source code repository). That's how its supposed to be done.

+1

And just ignore the stupid pricks without a clue :wacko:

Do you mean you cannot see your drive icons on your desktop? That's a Snow Leopard thing you can reenable that in your Finder Preferences.

NO.

I cant see any bootable HD or DVD for the booting from USB Boot Think Stick on AHCI native (SATA).

If i change BIOs to AHCI non native at least i can see DVD-SATA but also no SATA HD.

Is that only working on IDE ?

If it was just to add this kind of comment you should have spent your lifetime in doing something else like go outside and have a beer with your friends... :(

We've got a great bootloader here. I would say for me it is the best... However if (and likely this is true as the credits give thanks to other open source projects)other project code is used than the maintainers need to ensure the open source licenses are compatible and publish source.

I know... When you create something it is hard to let it go... Or you use other projects code heavily its hard to admit to it however since it is licensed code it must complied with.

Now not all members of this community are concerned about being legit however I for one purchase ALL my software, though I may not be using it in the intended (ie: not on 100% Apple hardware) however I feel that I am not breaking the law for personal use as I am not selling it.

I hope this thread has not been too hostile since I would like to see this loader continue to flourish whether it is more like a shell over other community work or not (to me it doesn't even matter as you are not charging like the EFI-X sham folks). All the community's developers have made my Hackintosh much more polished and my wife is using it on her Aspire One without feeling all geeky.

Some day we will have Apple hardware (likely the next hardware refresh as I feel the value in Apple hardware has gone up (ie: SLI video on the early 2009 MacBook Pro) and such).

In any case, great job to the developers on all the related projects in far away countries for brining us the gem.

Oh and if you want the source you are more likely to find it here: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...fari%26rls%3Den

Or apple163.com if you can read Chinese (I cannot).

Binaries of open source projects are floating around here like crazy... All the Darwin kexts for example among everything else.

• 2 weeks later...

I just upgraded from Boothink 2.2.2 to 2.3.18. After that I cannot boot OS X 10.5.8 anymore using this bootloader, because he give me a message in which says to hard restart my computer.

If I boot it with an EFI bootloader (on a live cd) OS X boots without any problem so far.

Should I downgrade to 2.2.2 ?

After xiezhy does what ever he wants if he wants to release the code source or not....like EGOvoruhk said...

Anyway thanks again xiezhy for Boot_Think 2.3.18 it's a really nice bootloader, keep up the good job!!! ^_^

I dont think nobody is talking about taking anyone to court, but it seems you dont understand how working with open source software works, he did a great work on this bootloader and I think we are all grateful for that, he is also doing a great effort to give some basic first hand support in a foreign language (to him) in this forum and listening to some of the feedback from the general users something that is very uncommon around here...

But his work seems to be based on someone else's work, I dont care if its netkas or david elliot or chameleon team, who released the source code of their work so others can benefit and enhance it solely on the condition that they share their enhancements with everybody again. I believe its not unfair to him to let others profit from his work too, same as he did. I dont think any of the request for the source code to be published were hostile.

Its up to you to not care about this, you are free to be ignorant of the importance of keeping the source public, but even if you think you are defending xiezhy's work you are not doing a great service to the community in the end: imagine xiezhy stops working on Boot Think tomorrow and you update to 10.6.2 and Boot Think stops working, who you gonna be crying to fix the bug so you can keep on using your loved Boot Think bootloader? Just a childish example but I'm sure you will understand it.

I dont know if the source code is published in some chinese website that I cant read, maybe it is and we ignore it, thats why people is asking.

Maybe he is not even aware of the requirements of the license, maybe he has troubles understanding the terms of the license in english, I dont know...

Maybe the source code is not ready to be published or he wants a more stable to version to be public

I dont think really think we need to enforce all open source binaries to be publishes with source, its a really good practice that do nohing wrong but right, I'm not a programmer so as long as the source code is available somewhere is ok to me, I'm sure coders would think otherwise...

But I think its really important that some source is available somewhere at some point.

Its not a matter of being legit or legal, its a matter of being ethical. Its up to you if dont give a {censored} about that but other people do. And if those people didnt care in the first place you probably would not be booting OS X so easily with Boot Think today.

I just upgraded from Boothink 2.2.2 to 2.3.18. After that I cannot boot OS X 10.5.8 anymore using this bootloader, because he give me a message in which says to hard restart my computer.

If I boot it with an EFI bootloader (on a live cd) OS X boots without any problem so far.

Should I downgrade to 2.2.2 ?

i've encountered same problem as you am using 2.3.0 after updating to 2.3.18 it won't boot on 10.5.8 anymore. i'm back with 2.3.0

I dont think nobody is talking about taking anyone to court, but it seems you dont understand how working with open source software works, he did a great work on this bootloader and I think we are all grateful for that, he is also doing a great effort to give some basic first hand support in a foreign language (to him) in this forum and listening to some of the feedback from the general users something that is very uncommon around here...

But his work seems to be based on someone else's work, I dont care if its netkas or david elliot or chameleon team, who released the source code of their work so others can benefit and enhance it solely on the condition that they share their enhancements with everybody again. I believe its not unfair to him to let others profit from his work too, same as he did. I dont think any of the request for the source code to be published were hostile.

Its up to you to not care about this, you are free to be ignorant of the importance of keeping the source public, but even if you think you are defending xiezhy's work you are not doing a great service to the community in the end: imagine xiezhy stops working on Boot Think tomorrow and you update to 10.6.2 and Boot Think stops working, who you gonna be crying to fix the bug so you can keep on using your loved Boot Think bootloader? Just a childish example but I'm sure you will understand it.

I dont know if the source code is published in some chinese website that I cant read, maybe it is and we ignore it, thats why people is asking.

Maybe he is not even aware of the requirements of the license, maybe he has troubles understanding the terms of the license in english, I dont know...

Maybe the source code is not ready to be published or he wants a more stable to version to be public

I dont think really think we need to enforce all open source binaries to be publishes with source, its a really good practice that do nohing wrong but right, I'm not a programmer so as long as the source code is available somewhere is ok to me, I'm sure coders would think otherwise...

But I think its really important that some source is available somewhere at some point.

Its not a matter of being legit or legal, its a matter of being ethical. Its up to you if dont give a {censored} about that but other people do. And if those people didnt care in the first place you probably would not be booting OS X so easily with Boot Think today.

Well written... Nothing harsh said here and similar concerns and feelings are shared by many of us it seems...

I for one look forward to seeing many more releases (over time) along with access to the source incase our favorite boot loader developers move on to something else some day and someone can pick up the torch.

I'm not having any luck at getting bootthink to boot ubuntu 9.04 from my second hd.

My partitions are:

HD1

- Snow Leopard

HD2

- Ubuntu

-Data

-Time Machine

Chameleon boots -but Boot think only finds partions on the second drive - but does not find Ubuntu's partition.

Any ideas?

still going strong with bootthink. made and changed the icons to my custom ones today. made redundant recently going for a career change been using illustrator for 2 weeks nows and made these vector icons and dock cable. hopefully going towards graphic and webdesign. keep it up BT team.

4008345851_62b425aa83_o.png

4009067786_38af4ed262.jpg

Evo

p.s anyway to change the font? and background?

I wonder if you can change each icon representing each OS with different icons rather than BT detects as windows or macs for example Vista and W7 are not the same, Tiger and leopard are not having similar icon etc. If that cannot be done then ill stick to the original one look professional though.

snc00144v.jpg

All the 3 windows on the first scroll

snc00145.jpg

2 macs and linux on another

From the manual, # b=x sets the timeout and supposedly selects the default partition. Does this mean that it just boots the default partition after so many seconds or is it somehow choosing which partition is the default as well?

An easier question might be: How do you set what the default partition is?

Because it always seems to point at the SL partition and boots after whatever x=seconds I put in the command.

Thanks,

AR

From the manual, # b=x sets the timeout and supposedly selects the default partition. Does this mean that it just boots the default partition after so many seconds or is it somehow choosing which partition is the default as well?

An easier question might be: How do you set what the default partition is?

Because it always seems to point at the SL partition and boots after whatever x=seconds I put in the command.

Thanks,

AR

@Ace Raider

To choose the default boot partition, press F8 when the boot GUI is shown. Use the arrow keys to select the partition/drive you want to boot from, ie your boot drive is called Win7, scroll to its name and type #b=10 hit return & reboot.

Now when the machine re starts Boot Think should select Win7 and automatically boot after 10 seconds. To cahnge to another OS just scroll to its name and retype #b=x

If you want to only show the bootable partitions just type in #p=+ and reboot, then only bootable drives/partitions will show.