BootThink 2.4.6 (2010-01-28) support ubuntu 9.10 GRUB 2

367 posts in this topic

I have no problem so far with this bootloader but I can't understand why booting OSX with it changed my HDDs (and the relative icon) from internal to external. If I boot with another bootloader icons are fine.

btfail.jpg

Also, when I hit Restart in OSX, the monitor go black but the POST doesn't appear and I need to do an Hard Reset.

Maybe you need some extra kexts, because Boot Think does not take extra kexts along.

Maybe you need some extra kexts, because Boot Think does not take extra kexts along.

Which kind of kext I have to looking for?

P.s. With Chameleon loader or original darwin bootloader I can see all hdds as internal without add any particular kext.

Which kind of kext I have to looking for?

P.s. With Chameleon loader or original darwin bootloader I can see all hdds as internal without add any particular kext.

Maybe you could try to copy the file /Extra/Extentions.mkext to /Darwin/S/L/

Boot Think 2 do not support Snow now.

will it ?

(just to know ...)

'disabler.kext ' and 'decrypter.kext' are in the file /Darwin/rc/mkext

I actually want to boot my updated to 10.5.8 osx, using dsdt.aml "new hpet" flavor, no disabler and the new dsmos.kext from netkas site, just to see if sleep's back again : removing the /Dawrin/rc .mkext (not planning to boot retail DVD ...) doesn't seem to change anything on the disabler / decrypter side ...

I actually want to boot my updated to 10.5.8 osx, using dsdt.aml "new hpet" flavor, no disabler and the new dsmos.kext from netkas site, just to see if sleep's back again : removing the /Dawrin/rc .mkext (not planning to boot retail DVD ...) doesn't seem to change anything on the disabler / decrypter side ...

well, i didn't completely remove the mkext file, but i removed disabler from it, keeping only decrypter.

sleep is back, but at the cost of 20 degrees hotter cpu which was not acceptable for me, so i put the disabler back.

well, i didn't completely remove the mkext file, but i removed disabler from it, keeping only decrypter.

sleep is back, but at the cost of 20 degrees hotter cpu which was not acceptable for me, so i put the disabler back.

Hi zarac, I've just did that, but lost the capability to boot from optical media Leopard retail DVD. So I've stay with original xiezhy's /Darwin/rc/mkext file and Darwin 9.7.0 kernel (to keep normal temperature and sleep).

Edited by OcciJano

Weird behaviour of multiOS with Boot Think 2.2

Situation 1: Boot Think2.2 installed in XP on 1st MBR partition follow by |Leopard|tiger|Ubuntu|Vista|W7

1. Everytime boot and reboot vista, vista will create gldr file inside XP partition and disables Boot Think2.2 and next boot you see Windows Boot Menu instead and not Boot Think 2.2. Delete this gldr file will restore boot think, but you have to do this everytime you boot/reboot Vista.

2. Boot Think 2.2 will some how disable VoodooPS2Controller.kext and make Leopard multitouch trackpad feature "damaged". Re-installing the kext wont help as the kernel panic read "Unable to load ApplePS2Controller is missing etc" . Reinstall ApplePS2Controller will only enable the mouse and keyboard but not the multitouch (actually tap, double tap drag and 2 fingers scroll) trackpad.

I still cant figure out how to make multitouch trackpad works with Boot Think2.2. Already tried placing both kexts (apple and voodoo ps2controller kext in darwin folder with no success.

Situation 2: Boot Think 2.2 installed in Leopard, upgrade from existing V1 inside Aitkos v7 package.

1. Unable to boot all existing windows partition, completely ruining all windows (XP, Vista, 7) - Tried with other EFI boot loader CD also give the same result. (windows will boot until boot screen and shutdown itself)

2. similar to the above (2).

Weird behaviour of multiOS with Boot Think 2.2

Situation 1: Boot Think2.2 installed in XP on 1st MBR partition follow by |Leopard|tiger|Ubuntu|Vista|W7

1. Everytime boot and reboot vista, vista will create gldr file inside XP partition and disables Boot Think2.2 and next boot you see Windows Boot Menu instead and not Boot Think 2.2. Delete this gldr file will restore boot think, but you have to do this everytime you boot/reboot Vista.

2. Boot Think 2.2 will some how disable VoodooPS2Controller.kext and make Leopard multitouch trackpad feature "damaged". Re-installing the kext wont help as the kernel panic read "Unable to load ApplePS2Controller is missing etc" . Reinstall ApplePS2Controller will only enable the mouse and keyboard but not the multitouch (actually tap, double tap drag and 2 fingers scroll) trackpad.

I still cant figure out how to make multitouch trackpad works with Boot Think2.2. Already tried placing both kexts (apple and voodoo ps2controller kext in darwin folder with no success.

Situation 2: Boot Think 2.2 installed in Leopard, upgrade from existing V1 inside Aitkos v7 package.

1. Unable to boot all existing windows partition, completely ruining all windows (XP, Vista, 7) - Tried with other EFI boot loader CD also give the same result. (windows will boot until boot screen and shutdown itself)

2. similar to the above (2).

Situation 1: You should download the lastest version 2.2.2 from: http://www.apple163.com/thread-1476-1-1.html

It maybe solve the problem.

Situation 2: Boot think V1 could undermine the Windows boot data, resulting in Windows booting error

Great update! I got it successfully installed on a HFS+ partition and it boots just fine and I especially like how easy it is to load kexts, but is there a way to auto-boot a single partition?

# b=x

Select default bootable partition and x seconds countdown (0<= x <=32767)

Update: Boot Think 2.2.2 works like charm with all the six operating systems partitioned on the same hard disk. No conflict , no windows boot menu, no corruption, no boot error, no gldr file even after i updated each operating system to the latest version (i.e Leopard 10.5.7 to 10.5.8)

XP boots directly

Windows 7 boots directly

Vista boots directly

Ubuntu boots directly

Tiger boots directly

Leopard boots directly

I've tested this over and over again.

Hint: anyone interested to boot XP,7,vista directly without boot menu, make each partition active before install, that will do the trick.

Thanks you Xiezhy, you are the best and Boot Think is the true bootloader.

I hope the next update will support Snow Leopard right after Uphuck releases his Snowleopard distro (Ikaros V1 10.6)

Right now I think it the best bootloader for Leopard. XPC is very good, but not that stable and polished as of now (0.45b2). Boots retail DVD just fine, supports efi strings and DSDT.

Lacks embedded SMBIOS patcher and Snow Leopard support.

for a long time i use Win XP on Harddisk PATA IDE Seagate 80GB...

then i install iATKOS v7 and update to 10.5.8 using iDeneb delta update, on Harddisk SATA WDC 640GB.

i choose Bootloader Chameleon 2 RC2...

if i boot the OSX, system will run ok...

then, i try to choose Win XP partition on next boot, and the result is the screen goes blank

then i install boothink 2.2.2.

after install, then restart computer, and when boot it'll shown 2 icon @ boothink : macos and winxp.

if i choose mac os, then system will run OK.

if i choose win xp, then the window screen will show new boot page contains all partition....if i choose winXP again, the LCD screen goes blank again ;)

pls somebody help me...?

thanks all...

salam. _________________

--

HackinMac 10.5.8.

GA-G31M-ES2C + Intel DualCore 1.6GHz cache 1MB + Pixelview 9600 GT + LG DVDRW + 4GB DDR + LCD Advance 19" @ 1440x900 60Hz.

Hello there...

I have a problem...

Chameleon wasn't booting my windows, so i get bored and installed boot think 2.

Far more beautiful!

Everything was ok, even the windows booting! But i had problems with the osX clock and some Logic Studio sync. I found it was my i7 core, and i had to add flag fsb=133 to the boot.com.plist. So did I... and mac OSX works perfectly now!

But since I changed that boot plist, when i Try to launch windows from Boot Think, there is a message at the top of the screen:

unable to find library/preferences/systemconfiguration/apple.boot.com.plist no mach-kernel

or something like that, and it does nothing... but when i select OSX, it boot perfectly, and uses the flag as well.

So i came to think that Boot Think was trying to find an OSX installed on that windows partition... Hem...

How can I tell him he's wrong? and couild I configure that???

BootThink 2.3 is about to be released. It supports Snow Leopard. I just wish it also contains SMBIOS patching too.

If there is no smbios patching, then we will need 64bit smbiosenabler.kext. Though, I guess, changing DMI Pool info to match a mac model will work too.

Waiting for release!

@Xiezhy,

Excellent work!!

BootThink 2.2.2 works perfect. I'm booting Leopard 10.5.8. Everything I had in Extra/Extensions boots perfectly in Darwin/System/Library/Extensions.

The only downside is not having the SMBIOS patching yet from the smbios.plist.

Also, the notes mention that the default com.apple.Boot.plist to be loaded is the one from Library/Preference/SystemConfiguration. Am I reading this correctly? Wouldn't it be much better to have the default com.apple.Boot.plist be the one in Darwin so we can leave the other one untouched?

You can load it from /Darwin/ just fine.

@Xiezhy,

Excellent work!!

BootThink 2.2.2 works perfect. I'm booting Leopard 10.5.8. Everything I had in Extra/Extensions boots perfectly in Darwin/System/Library/Extensions.

The only downside is not having the SMBIOS patching yet from the smbios.plist.

Also, the notes mention that the default com.apple.Boot.plist to be loaded is the one from Library/Preference/SystemConfiguration. Am I reading this correctly? Wouldn't it be much better to have the default com.apple.Boot.plist be the one in Darwin so we can leave the other one untouched?

I setup another multiboot pc XP|W7|VISTA|SERVER03|UBUNTU|LEOPARD|SHARE with Boot Think 2.2.2

Since i want all windows to boot directly without windows boot menu, i activate each windows partition b4 install.

And now with another windows (Windows Server 2003), my step is to make all 4 windows partition primary so i can activate them. (due to the fact only primary partition can be made "ACTIVE")

XP-Primary|W7-Primary|Vista-Primary|Server-Primary|

They boot beautifully (direct) with boot think.

But now i want to add Ubuntu and Leopard

So i converted the 4rd Windows Server Partition to Extended and windows server partition automatically become logical, then i added another 3 logical partitions for Ubuntu, Leopard and Share, using partition magic

XP-Primary|W7-Primary|Vista-Primary|Windows Server2003-Logical|Ubuntu-logical|leopard-logical|Share-logical

After all installed, boot think unable to detect Windows Server 2003 on the 3rd logical partition and dissappeared from its menu. I look into the partition and all files are still intact including NTDETECT.COM and NTLDR.

I tried using other boot loader (EFI-CD), the menu displays:-

hd01 XP

hd02 W7

hd03 Vista

hd04

hd05 Ubuntu

hd06 Leopard

hd07 Share

Windows Server 2003 name gone, but if i click hd04, the boot loader state "Calling Chainloader" and Windows Server 2003 can boot.

Now i wonder, if Boot think only detect mbr, ntldr inside primary partition and ignore windows in logical partition?

Obviously Xp cannot be installed in logical partition, only Vista and 7 can, but if they're in logical partition, their mbr files will be in XP partition and boot.ini will list all of them (This is how windows boot menu is created)

Awesome boot loader. However, I'm just wondering if anybody has managed to get it to boot a retail DVD? Because on the two systems i've used (a EP43-UD3L and the machine in my sig), when ever i try and boot my retail disk, I always get a waiting for root device error.