BootThink 2.4.6 (2010-01-28) support ubuntu 9.10 GRUB 2

367 posts in this topic

I love Bootthink, especially since I could install it from Windows, which is great because I don't need to mess with the MBR and primary partitions because of that.

Since I can only boot SL with arch=i386, I was wondering how I could set that to default? Where can I add that so I won't need to type that everytime I boot my PC?

• 3 weeks later...
ubuntu is not booting directly with boot think 2.4.6 although w7 and leopard are.

h.e.l.p anyone ?

Forget about 9.10, clean install ubuntu 10.04 to the desired partition and Boot Think 2.4.6 is able to boot it directly.

But installing Ubuntu natively will cause the EXT4 partition it created, invisible and inaccessible in other operating system and displaying HD[0,5] Linux on the Boot Think menu.

So if you want Boot Think to display "Ubuntu" instead of "HD[0,5] Linux" on the menu

snc00807.jpg

And you want Ubuntu partition visible, readable and accessible in other operating systems

20091121051353trtqqjqwv.jpg

You need to install ubuntu using wubi

This is working fine for me its booting great but I cant get to the customize commands to set a default partition and time to wait until it boots that partition. I press #b (which is shift key 3 and :( but it does not give me any option to change the settings. I just mash the b key while it is starting and that doesnt work. What are the keys for changing the settings while booting up. I cant boot from the CD but thats not a big deal. I would like to get the cosmetics to work right and this would be a great alternative to chameleon especially for noobs like me. I cant even get chameleon to work. Thanks for all the hard work!

This is working fine for me its booting great but I cant get to the customize commands to set a default partition and time to wait until it boots that partition. I press #b (which is shift key 3 and ;) but it does not give me any option to change the settings. I just mash the b key while it is starting and that doesnt work. What are the keys for changing the settings while booting up. I cant boot from the CD but thats not a big deal. I would like to get the cosmetics to work right and this would be a great alternative to chameleon especially for noobs like me. I cant even get chameleon to work. Thanks for all the hard work!

F8

# b=

# g=1680x1050x32

T

• 5 weeks later...

hi people,

(as usual, please excuse my poor english)

I've been facing some disturbing issue for a while now, and I don't know how to solve it properly, I mean still using BT 2.4 : on my 'system' HD (MBR), OSX 10.6.3 x64 stand alongside W7 Ultimate x64 and OSX 10.5.8.

there is the problem : if W7 partition is set active, BT doesn't work anymore, but I've got a fully functional sleep mode (S3, S4, hybrid) within W7 ; if I set Leo partition active (on which BT is installed, with its invisible /Darwin folder and so on), BT works very well, I can boot everything, but it breaks W7 sleep mode, resulting in a BOSD at resuming and / or no sleep at all !

I also tried to install BT into a second HD (GPT), setting it first in the boot order, but things got worse this way, since I get a new 'EFI' entry ('#p=-' being useless ...) at multiboot, and still no more working sleep mode in W7.

neither Snow nor Leo get sleep issue.

I know this is a well known issue among the Chameleon world, resulting in a bootloader upgrade allowing users to get multiboot although W7 is set active on the first boot HD (assuming C2 is installed on the same HD).

I'm now wondering if such an issue might be fixed without having to switch from BT to C2 on my rig ...

thx by advance for any suggestion.

• 1 month later...
I love Bootthink, especially since I could install it from Windows, which is great because I don't need to mess with the MBR and primary partitions because of that.

Since I can only boot SL with arch=i386, I was wondering how I could set that to default? Where can I add that so I won't need to type that everytime I boot my PC?

Read here: http://efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=275

Hello people...

I install boothink... but during installation i install IEFI option....

My problem was that the macosx just starts from the CD. I could see in my macosx called a Windows partition. Now i see EFI partition... where were my files?

• 1 month later...

BT 2.4.6 setup from and to win7 (trying to solve the now well known sleep issue when W7 partition isn't active) is making me crazy :

- I followed all documented steps, at least I guess so : install BT.exe, re-run Install.bat as admin, reboot checking there are 2 entries in W7 boot menu (W7 and BT), start W7 ; so far so good ;

- wanting to get directly to BT boot menu instead of W7 boot menu, I then ran InstallMBR.bat as admin & rebooted ...

but BT isn't working this way on my rig : W7 starts directly, whitout showing any boot menu !

I also took a look at the InstallMBR.bat script, and saw that some of the numerous "dd.exe" commands written there look quite weird (using 'od' parameter instead of usual 'of' one for destination setting ...)

anyway, it just doesn't work yet, and I don't see how to solve the issue, since I also don't know what & how the script is supposed to add some code to the MBR / FBS (?)

any help appreciated ...

BT 2.4.6 setup from and to win7 (trying to solve the now well known sleep issue when W7 partition isn't active) is making me crazy :

- I followed all documented steps, at least I guess so : install BT.exe, re-run Install.bat as admin, reboot checking there are 2 entries in W7 boot menu (W7 and BT), start W7 ; so far so good ;

- wanting to get directly to BT boot menu instead of W7 boot menu, I then ran InstallMBR.bat as admin & rebooted ...

but BT isn't working this way on my rig : W7 starts directly, whitout showing any boot menu !

I also took a look at the InstallMBR.bat script, and saw that some of the numerous "dd.exe" commands written there look quite weird (using 'od' parameter instead of usual 'of' one for destination setting ...)

anyway, it just doesn't work yet, and I don't see how to solve the issue, since I also don't know what & how the script is supposed to add some code to the MBR / FBS (?)

any help appreciated ...

Does your Win7 have a hidden drive "System Reserved"? You have to unhide it and assign a drive letter (such as Z) to it before installing Bootthink

Does your Win7 have a hidden drive "System Reserved"? You have to unhide it and assign a drive letter (such as Z) to it before installing Bootthink

no, it doesn't, but I solved the issue myself after intense brainstorming and several tests last WE : I had to tweak a bit the scripts and also set dd.exe to run as admin & in compatibility mode ...

after seeing it work as it should, I dumped my win7/BT mbr ; if someone wants it, PM me.

thx anyway for your help. :)

• 2 months later...

Hi everybody, I'm trying to get BootThink to dual boot W7 & SL on my desktop. Installation on W7 side keeps failing though as it keeps claiming I should run it with admin privileges..thing is I do always run it as administrator!!

Is there anything else I should do to let it install on my W7 Ultimate??

Hello.

I have in my HD the 3 systems, linux, windows 7 y Snow Leopard, the bootloader was the chameleon but i didin't load the linux partition, after that I have problems with windows and I reinstalled it, now the bootloader is grub, but it doesn't load the Snow Leopard partition, I installed bootthink in windows, but when I restart the bootloader is grub, I don't know how to fix it, What I have to do to have the 3 systems to choose?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

i have same problem... appear a message , u need to restart computer....

i cant boot from hdd

also i copy nforce kext to darwin /system /library/extensions , is that all ?

win 7 and xp works for me , snow leopard i cant boot

help me.......

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...