BootThink 2.4.6 (2010-01-28) support ubuntu 9.10 GRUB 2

367 posts in this topic

anyone tried retail snow leopard booting from ide cd/dvd-rom?

how i do that?

I cant boot it from the DVD drive but if you build your installation dvd on your hard drive and put necessary kexts to

/Darwin/System/Cd/Extensions and rebuild your extensions.mkext (ex.kext utility) it can boot ir right out of the box and it is very fast too. I am working on booting the dvd.

When i try to boot from dvd, in x64 mode i get the waiting for root device, in x32 mode i get to the grey page just before installation GUI with the mouse cursor then it just hangs there. I will let everyone know if i get it to work!

Update 2.3

1. support Snow Leopard

2. support smbios.plist

Thanks to : netkas, Chameleon

xiezhy, excelent bootloader. My Snow Leo instalation is stable as a rock, boots very fast and with no problems.

I have only one question. I accidently issued the command # b=0 instead #b=1 (i wanted a very small timeout, so I can enter commands only if I really need to) but right now I no longer have access to boot GUI and options, it boots instantly. I've tried holding Alt, Ctr, Ctrl-S, Ctrl-V or Shift at startup, but they don't work. Is there any way to restore boot time-out?

Thank you for your excelent work and product again.

The EFI installation on Boot Think 2.3 did not work well for me :) , It just won't install anything to EFI partition. And now the EFI Hidden partition won't hidden anymore :) , even after I'm back to PC-EFI, it show up on boot list and mounted automatically on Finder.

Any ideas how to hide the EFI Hidden partition?

See my reply in this thread.

See my reply in this thread.

Hi, Thank you very much for your help, GPT fdisk solve my problem, I think it's caused by disk utility that change partition code to AF instead leave it as EF. Change back to EF resolve my problem.

For boot think creator I suggest to fix EFI installation for using "newfs_hfs" instead "diskutil eraseVolume" coz "newfs_hfs" did not touch partition code and "diskutil eraseVolume" does.

Like many others asking, how do you boot the Retail Snow Leopard DVD?

I'm using Boot Think 2.3 installed on Windows, and sometimes I used Boot Think 2.3 on USB stick.

pressing "c" doesn't do anything

If I select Boot CD-Rom and hit enter, immediate kernel panic

Somehow, all my kexts from Darwin/system/CD/Extensions.mkext and Extensions don't load.

Otherwise, I can boot perfectly Snow Leopard on one partition and Leopard on another partition. Terrific bootloader.

xiezhy, thank you for Boot Think good work.

I have a few questions when, where and how *.kexkt are loaded on SL.

Interestingly enough all *.kexkt loaded except VoodoHDA, all the same whether in /Extension, /x32/Extension or /x64/Extension.

Why?

Is it sufficient *.kexkt in /x32/Extension or /x64/Extension, or must kernel flags / parameter with the start be set?

Thanks for each assistance.

parcival

Actually it wasn't changing the AHCI settings that allowed me to boot from the DVD. Try booting with -f. It's kinda weird for me, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Just keep rebooting until it does. As for re-hiding the EFI partition, I have no idea, I just reformatted and am running boot think of a USB stick for now

The Intel Machine in my sig is now running a completely vanilla 10.6.1 installed form a retail disk with everything working and no modified kexts in S/L/E! Thanks to this bootloader I'm probably one of the few ppl in the world running a stock Snow Leopard install on a PowerMac G4.

@General Cartman - sorry this is a little OT - I see you use Nvidia 9300 under 10.6.1. and you claim no extra kexts in S/L/E but 100% working.

My board (a Zotac) has a 9300 GPU built-in and I need to use either NVKush or ATY_Init in S/L/E for full 32 bit graphics support (and I believe that you cannot put these kexts into the bootloader and have them work from there). So, my question is - how are you getting full QE/CI [if DVD player works then you are!] . BTW I haven't found any "strings" that will work in the boot plist to give me QE/CI.

Feel free please to PM me or post your answer here as I am intrigued to know your answer.

Thanks.

I'm not sure I understand CD boot with new 2.3 :

- after a fresh BT install, /D/S/CD & subdirectories just got minimal needed .kexts to boot Leo retail DVD (not Snow), right ?

- if I want it to boot Snow retail DVD, in order to do a retail setup, and put proper x32/x64 .kexts into those folders, will it boot it to the setup screen (for instance using a Snow .mkext with sleepenabler, nullcpupm, ohl & fakesmc v. 2) ?

- what are the respective purposes of /D/S/CD/Extensions & /D/S/CD/usrmkext & which .kexts or .mkexts must be put there ?

Nice Boot loader,

Results 2.3.16

Boot Leopard from HDD = Ok

Boot Leopard Retail DVD = Ok

Boot S/Leopard from HDD = Ok

Boot S/Leopard from DVD = No, It looks like its about to enter the language selection screen but i get grey screen just before, I can see and move my mouse cursor but thats about it. Tried with & without my EFI strings for graphics in boot.plist but still sam outcome.

Good Work Nearly There Guys :rolleyes:

I'm still getting the same problem. Install to HDD -> Reboots before the boot loader (GUI) loads. I installed it to a USB stick and to my surprise, it actually worked well..

Why is this happening to me? Am I the only one?

Oh no! 2.3.17 still doesn't work for me. When I select the the Boot CD-Rom and press c to boot the Snow Leopard Retail DVD, still nothing happens.

_Stoddie, if I may ask, where did you install your kexts to boot Snow Leopard DVD? in CD? in LibrarySL?

Oh no! 2.3.17 still doesn't work for me. When I select the the Boot CD-Rom and press c to boot the Snow Leopard Retail DVD, still nothing happens.

_Stoddie, if I may ask, where did you install your kexts to boot Snow Leopard DVD? in CD? in LibrarySL?

I put kexts in both CD and LibrarySL in the CD folder you need to put the extensions.mkext from Snow Leopard DVD.

I think I am missing something basic here.

I have a Windows 7 installed on my PC, and am trying to install osx as a dual boot. I have both the Leopard "install DVD" that came with a macbook I have, and the Snow Leopard "upgrade DVD".

I tried downloading the latest package and running the Boot Think 2.3.17.exe file. This unpacks a few files, then runs some script that changes the boot record. When I then reboot, with one of the osx DVDs in the drive, I get a text prompt, showing two options: Windows 7, and BootThink.

Choosing Windows7 loads windows perfectly fine.

Choosing BootThink, however, shows an extremely distorted image in the middle of the screen (it's as if the graphics driver is not working properly) that does not have any distinct features. At this point, only two keys work:

-Pressing Enter just clears the screen, shows a blinking cursor, and does not respond to any keyboard input. I have to reset the computer to get out of this.

-If instead I press F8 at the distorted screen, I get the same boot text prompt I saw earlier, only with just one option: Windows 7. Choosing it loads windows just fine.

Am I missing something? the "manual" seems very vague, and shows an image of an installation prompt (step #4 in the document) that I never see.

I'm new to the hackintosh thing, any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

I downloaded Boot_Think 2.3.1.7.

I did not find any link to the source. Where is the source code? And the License files?

Boot-think is based on software (Apple's boot-132, dfe's work on boot-132 & Chameleon) that is under the APSL. There is no mention of the APSL, no listing of what is under the APSL & of course, what changes were made.

Boot-think also contains GPL software (grub, boot05. boot06). No mention of that, no GPL, no links to source.

You even took Chameleon's BootHelp.txt file! You don't even mention Chameleon (except as "Thanks to: netkas, Chameleon" on the first webpage of this thread).

Note: this is the 3rd call for source in THIS thread.

@_STODDIE,

Thanks for your help. I followed your instructions, now the content of the CD folder is being loaded, it now works!! I can get all the way to the GUI installer with all my hard drives showing.

I have to hit F8, select boot CD-Rom from the Darwin menu and type arch=i386.

It's taking a long time to get to the SL GUI installer. All the kexts from Snow Leopard are being loaded from the DVD. Were the kexts supposed to be loaded from the Darwin/System/CD/ Extensions.mkext?

Thanks again for helping out.

Update 2.3.17

1. Boot retail Snow Leopard from DVD.

2. An improvement in loading Darwin/S/L/Extensions/*.kext

This is a great bootloader indeed. With this last version my rig have finally became an 100% fully functional Hackintosh (everything worked before, but I didn't had restart and shutdown, even with OpenHaltRestart). Now everything works perfect:video, sound, lan, usb, sleep, restart, shutdown.

And I fixed my problem with booting default after 0 seconds by pressing Alt like crazy before boot and managed this way to acces boot menu and change default settings.

Once again, a perfect bootloader. Thanks again xiezhy.

I downloaded Boot_Think 2.3.1.7.

I did not find any link to the source. Where is the source code? And the License files?

Boot-think is based on software (Apple's boot-132, dfe's work on boot-132 & Chameleon) that is under the APSL. There is no mention of the APSL, no listing of what is under the APSL & of course, what changes were made.

Boot-think also contains GPL software (grub, boot05. boot06). No mention of that, no GPL, no links to source.

You even took Chameleon's BootHelp.txt file! You don't even mention Chameleon (except as "Thanks to: netkas, Chameleon" on the first webpage of this thread).

Note: this is the 3rd call for source in THIS thread.

Go on Boot_Think forum: Boot_Think you'll probably find them here instead of asking/crying here, same for chameleon you go on chameleon's website, right? to find all of these and netkas.org as well for PC_EFI? So same goes here!! Google is your friend!