BootThink 2.4.6 (2010-01-28) support ubuntu 9.10 GRUB 2

367 posts in this topic

xiezhy, thank you for your work with Boot Think.

Unfortunately VoodoHDA.kexkt is not loaded also with the most current version. :(

Had someone been already successful with it? :P

thx

parcival

You need to copy both IOAudioFamily.kext and OSvKernDSPLib.kext to /D/S/L/E/ and then modify both Info.plist to contain

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Root</string>

Then you will be able to load VoodooHDA from /D/S/L/E/

Update 2.3.17

1. Boot retail Snow Leopard from DVD.

2. An improvement in loading Darwin/S/L/Extensions/*.kext

thank you mate.

mirror on rscom

http://rapidshare.com/files/281170097/Boot_Think_2.3.17_Mac.zip
http://rapidshare.com/files/281172861/Boot_Think_2.3.17_Win.rar

For all you N00b's that can work out how to use this follow this guide Here

That would be me, thanks! That guide was very helpful, and now I have a more reasonable question.

I followed the guide, installed into a USB stick, copied some kexts from the linked site to CD, x64, x86, copied the Extensions.kext from SL to CD. I didn't do anything for steps 10-12, since I don't know what those are or where to find them... are these steps necessary?

When rebooting, I get the BootThink graphical prompt, choose "boot from CD" and press Enter. The apple logo appears, and after a few seconds I get the "you need to reboot your computer" error message.

Alternatively, I also tried pressing F8 at the graphical prompt, using -v and looking at the output. Along with a number of normal looking boot messages, there is a line saying: Waiting on IOProviderClass (wrapped in some XML). The prompt just waits, and occasionally writes: "Still waiting for root device".

Any idea what the problem is and how I can fix it?

WOOOOW!!

this thing works as advertised.

I wish I could say the same, but it doesn't work for me.

I've a EP45-DS5 (F12).

I repartitioned my USB-stick I was using for Chameleon.

Installed Booth Think. Didn't make any changes yet.

When I reboot the computer, I got the spinning character for a second.

Next the computer seems to freeze.

I would love to get this to work though.

I wish I could say the same, but it doesn't work for me.

I've a EP45-DS5 (F12).

I repartitioned my USB-stick I was using for Chameleon.

Installed Booth Think. Didn't make any changes yet.

When I reboot the computer, I got the spinning character for a second.

Next the computer seems to freeze.

I would love to get this to work though.

You need proper dsdt.aml/boot.plist and extensions properly configured, in my case I just swapped my pcefiv10 files to boot think in the proper directory, rebuilt extensions.mkext with mkext tool, restart and works brillant!!!

I tried 2.3.18 and still get the same results. I installed it to the OS X

I get a spinning cursor and before the boot loader starts, the PC reboots.

I have a 10.6.1 vanilla on GPT. Only using OS X - not dual booting.

Installed it to a USB stick and it loads properly and OS X boots and everything works perfectly.

SOS..... PLEASE HELP

Go on Boot_Think forum: Boot_Think you'll probably find them here instead of asking/crying here, same for chameleon you go on chameleon's website, right? to find all of these and netkas.org as well for PC_EFI? So same goes here!! Google is your friend!

I can tell you think of yourself as intelligent, so I'll just skip ahead with the sledgehammer:

boot-think is under the APSL. APSL section 2.3:

2.3 Distribution of Executable Versions. In addition, if You Externally Deploy Covered Code (Original Code and/or Modifications) in object code, executable form only, You must include a prominent notice, in the code itself as well as in related documentation, stating that Source Code of the Covered Code is available under the terms of this License with information on how and where to obtain such Source Code.

I hope (my helpful, new friend) that you understand that to read that there should be a document somewhere with the binaries that points me to the source. So, if you can point that out to me in the rapidshare link I downloaded boot-think from, I would be interested. It doesn't matter that some OrdinaryJoe packaged it up for OrdinaryJane to use. When there is a release of binaries, there needs to be a link where OrdinaryJane can get the source. Because I got the feeling you were trying to insinuate that I was a dolt, I wanted to point out that I can read the (missing) license quite well.

See if you download Perian, there is a "Read Me.rtf" that covers all their licensing issues (what software Perian uses, their licenses & their svn source code repository). That's how its supposed to be done.

I tested Boot Think 2.3.18.

I'm getting an unexpected result. I still can boot Leopard from hard drive, but QE/CI is gone and the screen resolution is at 1024 x 768.

It turns out that somehow Boot Think 2.3.18 is preventing NVEnabler in S/L/E from loading. This only affects Leopard. Snow Leopard is still booting with QE/CI and full resolution.

I'm back to Boot Think 2.3.17 for now.

If I install Boot Think to a USB thumb drive, is there a way to hide it, so that when I boot into my OS, it isn't sitting on the desktop?

Also, is anyone able to boot off of an original Leopard disc? I can boot off and install with a Snow Leopard disc just fine, but when I try Leopard, it stalls at:

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Initialization Complete

I tried a 10.5.6 and 10.5.4 retail disc. Both stall at the same point. I ended up needing to use a boot disc to install

I tested Boot Think 2.3.18.

I'm getting an unexpected result. I still can boot Leopard from hard drive, but QE/CI is gone and the screen resolution is at 1024 x 768.

It turns out that somehow Boot Think 2.3.18 is preventing NVEnabler in S/L/E from loading. This only affects Leopard. Snow Leopard is still booting with QE/CI and full resolution.

I'm back to Boot Think 2.3.17 for now.

Why not using dsdt patching if you have a nvidia card it will be straight natively supported...

If I install Boot Think to a USB thumb drive, is there a way to hide it, so that when I boot into my OS, it isn't sitting on the desktop?

Also, is anyone able to boot off of an original Leopard disc? I can boot off and install with a Snow Leopard disc just fine, but when I try Leopard, it stalls at:

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Initialization Complete

I tried a 10.5.6 and 10.5.4 retail disc. Both stall at the same point. I ended up needing to use a boot disc to install

You have the answer here if you want to hide your usb thumb drive from the desktop: http://www.efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=125

@THORIAS,

dsdt patching for my NVidia Geforce Go 7900 GS 512MB? Sounds interesting. I'm already using dsdt patching for my Realtek ALC883 audio.

Do you know a good tutorial for nvidia dsdt patching?

See here Koalala's acpi patcher: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=142434

It will allow you to patch your dsdt.aml with your NVidia Geforce Go 7900 GS 512MB have a look (I don't know about your GO maybe do a search on insanely with your card model)...I used this to patch my dsdt with my 9800 GT 512Mb..

Edit: I did a quick search: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1144162 and one of the guy was able to patch his Nvidia Go 7900GS with DSDT patching, search with "nvidia go 7900 GS dsdt" key word...

Hi,

thank you for providing us with this tool!

I installed Boot Think with help of my 10.5.8 VMware machine to an USB stick and configured my BIOS (Thinkpad R61 8932 G6G) to SATA Compatibility (no success with AHCI). 10.6 retail DVD finally booted well, but when trying to access disk utility to format an external drive, the installer crashed... Maybe somebody got a solution for that kind of problem, otherwise I will try to provide you with an error log tomorrow.

Anyway, I read that OpenHaltRestart.kext and PlatformUUID.kext could be useful. From reading the documentation I assume that integrating those to my USB stick will do the trick? They don't need to be integrated onto Snow Leopard install DVD? Those have to be copied to /Darwin/System/CD/Extensions, /Darwin/System/Library/Extensions, /Darwin/System/LibrarySL/Extensions, /Darwin/System/LibrarySL/x64/Extensions and /Darwin/System/LibrarySL/x86/Extensions?

Thank you for any kind of help!

booting retail SL DVD, SL & Leo without any issue with 2.3.18 BT : really amazing, thx a lot for this excellent (again) work !!

just an issue for now : being sometimes an idiot, I first installed it onto my SL partition (not the EFI hidden one) whereas it's on a GUID disk.

anyway, I now want to put it into the 200Mb hidden slide, but trying to reinstall, BT doesn't allow me to do it : the EFI option is grayed out : I'm wondering why and how to solve it ... any suggestion ?

Hi,

thank you for providing us with this tool!

I installed Boot Think with help of my 10.5.8 VMware machine to an USB stick and configured my BIOS (Thinkpad R61 8932 G6G) to SATA Compatibility (no success with AHCI). 10.6 retail DVD finally booted well, but when trying to access disk utility to format an external drive, the installer crashed... Maybe somebody got a solution for that kind of problem, otherwise I will try to provide you with an error log tomorrow.

Anyway, I read that OpenHaltRestart.kext and PlatformUUID.kext could be useful. From reading the documentation I assume that integrating those to my USB stick will do the trick? They don't need to be integrated onto Snow Leopard install DVD? Those have to be copied to /Darwin/System/CD/Extensions, /Darwin/System/Library/Extensions, /Darwin/System/LibrarySL/Extensions, /Darwin/System/LibrarySL/x64/Extensions and /Darwin/System/LibrarySL/x86/Extensions?

Thank you for any kind of help!

Gave it another try. This time I partitioned my external USB-drive (Samsung SpinPoint in IcyBox) to GUID HFS+, recovered 10.6 image to a 10 GB partition on that USB-drive and booted up from that partition.

I get into graphical installer which unfortunately crashes soon. Here is a logfile when it crashed at install volume selection:

http://www.wampenseppl.de/mac/protokoll.txt

Any clue what's going wrong here?

Gave it another try. This time I partitioned my external USB-drive (Samsung SpinPoint in IcyBox) to GUID HFS+, recovered 10.6 image to a 10 GB partition on that USB-drive and booted up from that partition.

I get into graphical installer which unfortunately crashes soon. Here is a logfile when it crashed at install volume selection:

http://www.wampenseppl.de/mac/protokoll.txt

Any clue what's going wrong here?

Try to launch install in 32 bit mode: edit com.apple.boot.plist and under "kernel flag" put arch=i386:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

I tried 2.3.18 and still get the same results. I installed it to the OS X

I get a spinning cursor and before the boot loader starts, the PC reboots.

I have a 10.6.1 vanilla on GPT. Only using OS X - not dual booting.

Installed it to a USB stick and it loads properly and OS X boots and everything works perfectly.

SOS..... PLEASE HELP

I also cannot get it work, have the same results as Dr. Hurt. I have tried disconnecting all the other hard

drives and reinstalling bootthink with the same results.