BootThink 2.4.6 (2010-01-28) support ubuntu 9.10 GRUB 2

367 posts in this topic

hi,

i just installed the hackintosh 10.5.1 on my protable computer. before i had XP and it is still on the same jharddisk, but on a differrent partition.when i boot without dvd i get the b0 error, so i installed the 2.4.6 bootthink on the hackintosh, but nothing changed. there is still the the b0 error and no bootscreen :thumbsup_anim:.

what do i wrong or what can i change?

thx

hi,

i just installed the hackintosh 10.5.1 on my protable computer. before i had XP and it is still on the same jharddisk, but on a differrent partition.when i boot without dvd i get the b0 error, so i installed the 2.4.6 bootthink on the hackintosh, but nothing changed. there is still the the b0 error and no bootscreen ;).

what do i wrong or what can i change?

thx

'boot0:error'

or 'bo error' ?

I have png icons (default icons). But i get anything on boot menu! just a bunch of colors!?

maybe you have another 'Darwin' folder in another partition. You should delete it.

'boot0:error'

or 'bo error' ?

edit:

now i took bootthink 2.2.2 and it works. hackintosh is booting normal, but win xp takes ages till it boots (5-10 min). can i do anything against this?

edit2:

now it works with boothink 2.1

2.4.4 dont work for me! When i come to boot menu and choose my hackintosh disk i just get a blink, a black screen for a second and then back to boot menu again. No matter how i boot (-v,-f,-x), i get just the same reaction!

2.3.18 works perfectly.

I can't get 2.4.6 to work either, would someone post a link to version 2.3.18 so I can try that, thanks !

(Previously had a nice 10.5.8 + Windows 7 + Windows Vista using EasyBcd)

So now I have Snow Leopard "Hzrd" release working perfect on my AMD Athlon X2 HP Pavilion Slimline s3407c.

Only way I can boot into it is by using EMPIRE EFI disc for Amd v1.085. (Every single time I must boot into the CD ;) )

1) I installed Boot Think from Windows 7 and also from Snow Leopard.

2) I correctly see the "Boot Think" option in Windows Boot Manager List.

3) When I start it, I got "\btldr.mbr" missing :( :( :(

So, I tried this next:

4) Installed the MBR\Install.bat as administrator from the Darwin folder.

5) Get the error:

BOOTMGR is missing.

Press CTRL+ALT+Del to restart.

(I know I can fix windows using Repair but I REALLY want to try out Boot Think and how magically it works) :)

Please help.

I cant seem to boot vista with this latest BootThink 2.4.6.

The screen reboot when i click on vista.

Anyone else have the same problem?

Plus i cant boot Ubuntu 9.10 installed using WUBI (install via windows) in one of the extended partition too

Anyone could tell me how to make it so, from usb flash i can boot snow leopard disc and how to install it on EFi PArtition on SL?

installing on EFI partition worked with Leopard, but the option is grayed in Snow Leopard.

you can try using the manual install method (using terminal)

i haven't tried it, but i think it should work:

• Open Applications/Utilities/Terminal

• Elevate to root user and provide password:
    sudo -s

• Identify your EFI disk from the list:
    diskutil list

• Format EFI partition with HFS (change X to your osx drive from diskutil list):
    newfs_hfs -v EFI /dev/diskXs1

• Create EFI partition mount point and mount the partition:
    mkdir /Volumes/EFI
    mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI

• Extract the Darwin package from BootThink installer with Pacifist to your desktop (only Darwin folder from Darwin.pkg is necessary, the rest are install scripts)

• Navigate to folder containing BootThink boot files:
    cd ~/Desktop/Darwin/standalone/i386

• Install boot0 to the MBR (change X to your osx drive from diskutil list):
    fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX

• Install boot1h to the bootsector of your EFI partition (change X to your osx drive from diskutil list):
    dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXs1

• Copy the ‘boot’ file to your root partition:
    cp boot /Volumes/EFI

• Copy the whole "Darwin" folder to your EFI partition:
    cp -R ~/Desktop/Darwin /Volumes/EFI

• Place your dsdt/plists/kext into respective folders on your EFI partition

• Make sure your EFI partition is flagged as active (change X to your osx drive from diskutil list):
    fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX
    p
    f 1
    w
    y

• Close and re-open Terminal, unmount and check your EFI partition (change X to your osx drive from diskutil list):
    sudo -s
    umount -f /Volumes/EFI
    rm -rf /Volumes/EFI
    fsck_hfs /dev/diskXs1

and that should be it.

sorry for long post, but i expanded it to avoid any misunderstandings.

again, let me stress that i myself am not booting from EFI partition - using USB flash instead.

but i see no reason why this method wouldn't work - until someone proves different ;)

good luck

Thanks for the reply I'll try it in the next few days. Can you tell me what I must do to boot retail SL using BootThink, because I can't find anything how to do this. I put the extensions in the CD folder and the extensions.mkext too but on boot it doesn't give me any dvd only the HD.

to boot a DVD with BT, you must :

- put your kexts, the Extensions.mkext & mach_kernel (or another one, BTW, assuming it may need other kexts to boot ...) from the DVD you wanna boot to /Darwin/System/CD ;

- boot your rig pressing the 'C' key.

on my side, it works very well on both Intel C2D computers, with SL & Leo retail DVDs.

Well I'm doing this but it doesn't work I guess. I use extensions from boot132 cd so it should work. But on screen give me the name of the usb partition and I doesn't happened anything. It's like my keyboard doesn't work or it doesn't recognize the DVD but when I press F8 I can type with keyboard. And also use a copy of retail DVD because I'm too far away from home and I didn't take it with me. Is it possible this to be the reason?

• 3 weeks later...
installing on EFI partition worked with Leopard, but the option is grayed in Snow Leopard.

you can try using the manual install method (using terminal)

i haven't tried it, but i think it should work:

• Open Applications/Utilities/Terminal

• Elevate to root user and provide password:
    sudo -s

• Identify your EFI disk from the list:
    diskutil list

• Format EFI partition with HFS (change X to your osx drive from diskutil list):
    newfs_hfs -v EFI /dev/diskXs1

• Create EFI partition mount point and mount the partition:
    mkdir /Volumes/EFI
    mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI

• Extract the Darwin package from BootThink installer with Pacifist to your desktop (only Darwin folder from Darwin.pkg is necessary, the rest are install scripts)

• Navigate to folder containing BootThink boot files:
    cd ~/Desktop/Darwin/standalone/i386

• Install boot0 to the MBR (change X to your osx drive from diskutil list):
    fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX

• Install boot1h to the bootsector of your EFI partition (change X to your osx drive from diskutil list):
    dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXs1

• Copy the 『boot』 file to your root partition:
    cp boot /Volumes/EFI

• Copy the whole "Darwin" folder to your EFI partition:
    cp -R ~/Desktop/Darwin /Volumes/EFI

• Place your dsdt/plists/kext into respective folders on your EFI partition

• Make sure your EFI partition is flagged as active (change X to your osx drive from diskutil list):
    fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX
    p
    f 1
    w
    y

• Close and re-open Terminal, unmount and check your EFI partition (change X to your osx drive from diskutil list):
    sudo -s
    umount -f /Volumes/EFI
    rm -rf /Volumes/EFI
    fsck_hfs /dev/diskXs1

and that should be it.

sorry for long post, but i expanded it to avoid any misunderstandings.

again, let me stress that i myself am not booting from EFI partition - using USB flash instead.

but i see no reason why this method wouldn't work - until someone proves different ;)

good luck

it works to me. but in the boot menu.

it shows two icons, one for EFI, and one for SL

I have added this # p=- , but how can i hide EFI boot menu.

thanks!

Hey guys,

I just updated boot think to 2.4.6 on my usb thumb drive. Now my thumb drive shows up in the boot think menu as a selectable OS. This did not happen before. I have other non OS HD's that don't show so why am I suddenly seeing this? Any way to mide the USB drive from the menu?

Much appreciated,

Tony

to boot a DVD with BT, you must :

- put your kexts, the Extensions.mkext & mach_kernel (or another one, BTW, assuming it may need other kexts to boot ...) from the DVD you wanna boot to /Darwin/System/CD ;

- boot your rig pressing the 'C' key.

on my side, it works very well on both Intel C2D computers, with SL & Leo retail DVDs.

Not all clear with boot think 2.4.6

I have not understood, where i should put kexts?

I ve just installed retail snow leo with help of empire efi 1.085, well, it works and even boot, but surprise! surprise! in 64-bit mode (is snow leo 64-bit by default?).

OK, I ve installed boot think 2.4.6 to my macosx partition, and there is 3 places to kexts - Darwin/System/Library/Extension, D/S/LibrarySL/x86, D/S/LibrarySL/x64.

So, I ve tried to start-up my nvidia-8600, and ONLY one way to do this - put kex into D/S/LibrarySL/x64. This although right for lan driver (attansic L1).

Does that mean that folder structure for extensions changed since 2.4.6 version?

Anyway - this bootloader seems good and it works.

• 2 weeks later...
it works to me. but in the boot menu.

it shows two icons, one for EFI, and one for SL

I have added this # p=- , but how can i hide EFI boot menu.

thanks!

same problem here.. how do i hide the EFI partition from the boot menu(it never showed in the older version of bootthink)

thankyu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

is anyone having troubles recognizing 1TB hard drives when using boot think?

I have 2 500gb seagate which runs fine, but my other 2 1TB wd black drives cant be detected under snow leopard. Is this because of boot think, or some other problem?

• 2 weeks later...

it says i should copy the Extension.mkext and mach_kernel to /system/cd but i have no clue where to get 'em. I know they used to be on the hackintosh disks but i cant find them for a retail sl disk =/

This bootloader have some major issues with SL 10.6.3, every time it gives me a couple of SUID errors when I try to repair permisions(with chameleon everythink is OK). It's an amazing bootloader, hope our friends from China will fix soon this bug, also will add UUID and restart fix aswell...