[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

I have never personally had that issue with the Broadcom 440x ethernet adapter. I left it run for a while and it worked fine. I ended up switching out the wireless adapter though so it would work. My issue right now is with the sound. As of right now what is the best sigmatel 9200 codec file available out there? Alternatively what usb-based audio device do you recommend and how do I disable the internal sigmatel 9200 when using it?

P.S. - I opted to not install 10.5.5. Right now I am running 10.5.4 and used the iATKOS v4i DVD to do the installation.

Ok so I will try the following:

Kalyway 10.5.2 install

Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo Updater

10.5.4 Update from Apple

Then the Sonotone Dell Post Installer

Thanks

Like others I've done all this but after the latest Apple update on re-start I ge the grey panic (Restart you PC)??

Anyway, how do I get back to where I was ?? ie My Inspiron 6400 basically working OK??

All the best

John

Like others I've done all this but after the latest Apple update on re-start I ge the grey panic (Restart you PC)??

Anyway, how do I get back to where I was ?? ie My Inspiron 6400 basically working OK??

All the best

John

Yes sadly on the Inspiron 9400/E1705 the more updates I did the worse things got, by the time I got to 10.5.4 things were real wacky so I went back to 10.5.2 and I am perfectly fine there for now.

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone confirm that the Geforce Go 7300 (part no. NJ887) will be compatible with an Inspiron 9400?

Okay I can confirm that it is indeed not compatible :)

Anyone wanna buy a Geforce Go 7300GS?

It seems the only options available for the 9400 are very expensive 7800 and 7900 cards. I was happy to pay £40-50 for the upgrade but both of these cost in excess of £100 which is stretching it a bit. Might as well flog the Inspiron and get a Macbook at this rate. h

hey you guys i have manage to fix tbcarey's sound kext. the problems was that the speakers doesnt work only headphone works

now it fixed and everything works biggrin.gif

OMG.. nice work jaysonz!!

I have been waiting since forever...

But my subwoofer does not seem to be working... is this normal?

Thanks a lot!

hey you guys i have manage to fix tbcarey's sound kext. the problems was that the speakers doesnt work only headphone works

now it fixed and everything works :D

here the kext.

spectacular! thank you for fixing this. and it works 100%. external speakers work and mute when headphones are plugged in. headphones work while external speakers are muted (just in case this wasn't clear, hehe).

hey you guys i have manage to fix tbcarey's sound kext

WoW you made my day ))) Now my sound is the way it should be ))) :)

Sweet.

Here is my little project. Though it was much easier to do. Here is Ukrainian keyboard layout as it is on PCs. I love MACs, but Ukrainian keyboard layout doesn't make any sense, sorry. I don't think there are many people from Ukraine who read this topic though. ;)

Sonotone, you're welcome to add it to the list of layouts you have in your Dell-installer, if you'd like to. )))

Ukrainian_PC.zip

Still can't get microphone working properly. Registering as external mic in sound settings, but no reception. Tested with two headsets in both Ventrilo and World of Warcraft. Any ideas on how to make it function properly?

Thanks for the HDA fix btw! Works like a charm.

Guest bmn123

Hi all,

I have the problem on my Inspiron 9400 that my volume control not only controls the volume itself but also the subwoofer. I tried to search in the forum and found this post here.

It seems to describe exactly my problem:

- Subwoofer is now an independent device, so its volume is controlled separately, even if you don't hear it when it is selected in System Preferences. The trade-off with this is that you have to remember to mute both devices if you want silence, but the gain is that you will be able to modify subwoofer volume independently of the main front speakers.

I exactly repeated all those steps but I did not come to a sufficient result.

Do you have a hint for me what I could also try to solve this problem? Did anybody also had this issue?

Best regards,

Andreas

Still can't get microphone working properly.

Unfortunatly I don't know anything about working with HDA kext, but here is what i noticed on my

Inspirion. If I hook up headphones into mic port and talk in-to them like a mic (i know sounds funny) then i get normal input. Try if it is the same for you.

I guess the problem is with the pin matching.

Hope this helps. ))) Meanwhile I talk into my headphones ))) B)

P.S I'm sure tbcarey or jaysonz can fix this if they would like to :D)

now it fixed and everything works :thumbsup_anim:

here the kext.

Thank you veryyy much. You've made me very very happy. I had pretty much everything working on my inspiron 6400, leopard 10.5.2 build but the need for headphones with speaker mute was much needed. Really appreciate your work.

now it fixed and everything works :)

here the kext.

Wholly Fu**ing Sh*t!!!!!!! Dude...trying this out now.....how did you do it? I tried looking into myself ;)

Now if we could get the mic we are set :)

I've got a 1520 and since the 10.5.5 combo update, my battery status hasn't been working. The placeholder is still there in the menubar, and I can even get the dropdown menu, but when I double click the empty space where it should be everything on the right side of the menubar reloads (including the battery icon) but the battery icon immediately disappears. How should I fix this?

Also, my sound isn't working. I am 95% certain I have a Sigmatel 9205.

And flash video stutters in playback. It will play for 3-5 seconds and then stop.

Edit: I got the battery indicator back, thanks to Superhai. :hysterical:

Audio and flash streaming video stuttering are still a problem.

Edit 2: Hulu works fine. Youtube cannot play for more than 2-4 seconds at a time. This isn't a buffering issue (I have a 20mbit FiOS line) and I just reinstalled Flash. I checked other flash heavy websites (went through the list at designcharts.org) and all of them seemed to work just fine.

Edit 3: After fixing audio (:censored2:) using this post YouTube streams perfectly.

Do you need to be running 10.5.4 or 10.5.5 to get the new AppleHDA.kext to work on a 9400? I'm still running Kalyway 10.5.1 with the recent tcnsync 9.1 kernel to get both cores working. I tried dropping this new AppleHDA.kext into the Extensions folder and repairing permissions, but System Preferences lost the volume control and no longer detected "External Speakers" as a sound device..

So I went back to the earlier AppleHDA that I created with AppleHDAPatcher 1.10 and Sigmatel 9200.txt.

I just did quick read through through the posts for the last several months. Still not clear on whether anyone gotten headphones with muted speakers to work on Kalyway 10.5.1 or 10.5.2 with an Inspiron 9400. Does the Sonotone Dell patch work with Kalyway 10.5.1 -- or do you have to reinstall 10.5.2 and then use the 10.5.3 combo update?

I just did quick read through through the posts for the last several months. Still not clear on whether anyone gotten headphones with muted speakers to work on Kalyway 10.5.1 or 10.5.2 with an Inspiron 9400. Does the Sonotone Dell patch work with Kalyway 10.5.1 -- or do you have to reinstall 10.5.2 and then use the 10.5.3 combo update?

I don't know about 9400 but on my 6400 (which is a lot similar, just 15") the easiest way was just to instal frm iAtkos v4 to get 10.5.4, without any problems and time waste. So far evrything works perfectly except display sleep )))

now it fixed and everything works :P

here the kext.

Sorry all for the retarded nooob "Q" here but how do I get this kext to work do I drag n drop or do I go into the fun terminal mode and mess around in there?

Sorry all for the retarded nooob "Q" here but how do I get this kext to work do I drag n drop or do I go into the fun terminal mode and mess around in there?

Did u even try to read the guide on first page? There is passage there that talks how to install .kext.

This one is simple you just -

1) Copy original AppleHDA (just in case)

2) Delete original in extensions folder.

3) Drop new one

4) In Terminal type sudo -s, type in your password. Type chmod -R 755 drag kext to terminal window, press enter. Type chown -R root:wheel , drag kext to terminal window, press enter

5) Exit, you don't even have to clear cashes, just reboot.

6) Take time to read first post.))

Edit 1: If you don't have HDAEnabler.kext then you should get it and go with it through 3-4 steps ))

Now it's easy. Instal mac os, use sonotone's installer, copy this kext and you are done. You can guess by the length of this post that it was a long way to this.

I'm so thankful to you guys who made dell hakintosh perfect!!!

Just confirming for any other slow adopters, the AppleHDA fix from the Sonotone Dell package does not mute the speakers for me under Kalyway 10.5.1, Inspiron 9400. I get speakers and headphones at the same time. Trying to hack the Kext by copying in one of the modified Info.plist files into it just disables the sound entirely, as does the modified version of AppleHDA that Jaysonz uploaded on the previous page. I also had no luck with TBCarey's earlier 10.4.10 version.

I'd be curious to know whether the threshhold for headphone sound with muted speakers is 10.5.2 or 10.5.3. I'm generally slow to upgrade, once I've got something that works.

What about the Boot-132/Chameleon fix to use the retail version? Anyone here have pro or con opinions as to whether it's worth the trouble, or just stick to the Kalyway combo update and manually manipulating the Apple updates and KEXTs each time? (The last time I tried IATKOS, around v. 1.1, it didn't install for me, which is when I transitioned to Kalyway from BrazilMac. I am really happy about the TSCSync kernel update, though. No more CPUS=1 in the command line.)