[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

Hi all.

I'm quite new to this Hackintosh world, but I'm making some progress already. However I would appreciate some help:

I sonotone's package 1.2 and, after much trial&error I managed to get most of it to work.

Main issues that remain, I hope someone can give a clue:

- Reboot, shutdown & sleep don't work. Seems to be a known issue having to do with graphics, but maybe somebody knows something else?

- Graphics work at native res. (1440x900) but according to system properties I have no QE/CI (which means no accel. right?). People mentioned that the sonotone's installer is supposed to make this work, but this is not my case.

- The one that bothers me the most: My hard drive is acting up a bit. It seems to 'freeze' every now and then. Seems to happen more when doing disk intensive operations (i.e. copying), and usually lasts for about 15/20 secs. then keeps going normally. I have noticed a 'parking' noise when the freeze happens (like if the heads were parked for a while, then unparked, I hope you know what I mean). This is really annoying and makes my whole installation kinda useless and slow. I read something about an app called hdapm, I will give it a try. I really need to fix this!

Some info about my hardware:

Dell Inspiron 1520 installed through Kalyway 10.5.2 and updated to 10.5.3 with his update pack.

Intel Core2Duo T7100 processors @ 1.80 GHz

Video: GeForce 8600M GT 512Mb

HD: Toshiba MK1637GS

Audio: Sigmatel STAC9205

Thanks for the great work. I hope you can help me in my quest for an MS-free lappy. ;)

See ya.

I have been having problems with installation of iAtkos_2.0i on my dell e1705

spec: dell e1705

core duo prossesor

Nvidia Gforce 6800

sata drive 120gig

Memory: 4gig

im getting this error

boot0:MBR

boot0:MBR

boot0:error_

help will be greatly appreciated

thank you

Hi folks, yesterday the new 10.5.5 cat was launched and again I managed to install it respecting the method used for 10.5.2 , 10.5.3 and 10.5.4 Combo update packages.

All parts are working (except 3in1 card reader) by using only one core (settings to start in com.apple.Boot.plist) are good, the speed is fine.

The Intel GMA950 needs AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext (192 kb/29.09.2007) otherwise the screen turns black after gray starting apple.

The sound had to be patched (Taruga's v1.20 with dump file of Sigmatel9200.txt), and the IONetworkingFamily.kext (2.6 MB/11.11.2007) needs to be replaced.

In order to have a good report of About This Mac needs replacing AppleSMBIOS.kext (52 kb/23.06.2008), the exact model of my Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505 it is shown MM061.

Again I attached a screen capture to prove it.

post-2775-1221595187_thumb.png

Hello,

I'm inches away to be totally satisfied with my Hackintosh Dell E1505. Thannx to Sonotone for his installer package.

Did anyone get the speakers work together with mute and headphone detection?

Hello....

I have a problem with booting Mac OX after the successfull installation on my inspirion 6400. Booting with option -v I receive the error "unknown SIGFPE coe 1, sub code0" and then the laptop reboots again. So read about this error in this thread but didn't find a solution. I tried it with cpu=1 option by booting but this doesn't work. Can anybody help me?

Thanks,

Bernhard

lost battery meter after 10.5.5 upgrade. sure has to do with powermanagement kext and acpibattery kext or combination. anybody has a way to fix it yet? may have to do with new video drivers. when I use stock pm module and patched acpibat kext from sonotone the system boots find but the screen stays black. none of the tricks that worked before won't work to get the desktop back.

otherwise everything working just as before (using previous c2d fixed kernel).

edit 1: interesting. found out that I actually didn't have any powermanagement bundle installed. used the one from 10.5.4 and Chun-Nan's AppleACPIBatteryManager. Works fine now.

the other odd thing that happens is that sleep seems to work halfway. when I send my notebook to sleep via apple menu, it goes into deep sleep as usual. when I wake it up with power button, it now shows the desktop and then tells me that I need to restart. Almost...

need to test it with pm bundle from 10.5.5 next to see if the detailed features of that batterymanager work.

edit 2: just extracted the pm bundle from 10.5.5 and found that it works perfectly fine with Chun-Nan's batterymanager. cheers

Just finished installing Kalway 10.5.2 on my Inspiron 9400/E1705 Dual Core 2Ghz/2Gb Ram

Got everything working for the most part,

For software like Final Cut Studio 2, VMWare Fusion Desktop etc,

None of these will work because the GMA950 is not supported by Quartz Extreme

and since you can't get resolution above 1024X768 are the Dell laptops a viable option?

Am I missing something?

Does anyone have QE or any of these apps working on this platform?

Anyway to get more resolution out of a GMA950?

Just finished installing Kalway 10.5.2 on my Inspiron 9400/E1705 Dual Core 2Ghz/2Gb Ram

Got everything working for the most part,

For software like Final Cut Studio 2, VMWare Fusion Desktop etc,

None of these will work because the GMA950 is not supported by Quartz Extreme

and since you can't get resolution above 1024X768 are the Dell laptops a viable option?

Am I missing something?

Does anyone have QE or any of these apps working on this platform?

Anyway to get more resolution out of a GMA950?

I highly recommend to update at least to 10.5.3 or better to 10.5.4 and use sonotone's Dell postinstaller to fix remaining issues. Especially gma950 issues were resolved between 10.5.2 and newer builds.

Ahh excellent a light at the end of the tunnel!!

I did use the Sonotone post installer, considering that I just did a fresh install and would have no problem wiping out and starting over again, what would you recommend to do to get to 10.5.4?

Is there a better distro for me to use?

Ahh excellent a light at the end of the tunnel!!

I did use the Sonotone post installer, considering that I just did a fresh install and would have no problem wiping out and starting over again, what would you recommend to do to get to 10.5.4?

Is there a better distro for me to use?

I think your best shot is kalyway 10.5.3 combo update and then 10.5.4 from software update

That worked the best for me...

Ok so I will try the following:

Kalyway 10.5.2 install

Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo Updater

10.5.4 Update from Apple

Then the Sonotone Dell Post Installer

What is it that will solve the QE and Resolution problem? is it the 10.5.4 update?

Is there anything else I need to do to resolve the video issue?

Thanks

Hello I'm FRENCH.

I have a DELL 9400 and I have a lot of questions :

1) Should I install Kaly 10.5.2 and make update 10.5.3 ->10.5.4 -> 10.5 ?? Or iAktos v4i ?

2) What audio chipset have I ? Sigmatel 9200 ?

3) Before installation, must I write something for activate only 1 core ? what must I write ? AND must I write this everytime I restart.??

4) In custom installation WHAT must I check ? What Ethernet have I ? What WIFI ?

Thank you very much !!

Hello I'm FRENCH.

I have a DELL 9400 and I have a lot of questions :

1) Should I install Kaly 10.5.2 and make update 10.5.3 ->10.5.4 -> 10.5 ?? Or iAktos v4i ?

2) What audio chipset have I ? Sigmatel 9200 ?

3) Before installation, must I write something for activate only 1 core ? what must I write ? AND must I write this everytime I restart.??

4) In custom installation WHAT must I check ? What Ethernet have I ? What WIFI ?

Thank you very much !!

Here is what you should do,

Go into Bios Setup (F2 at boot) and Disable Dual Core in the Performance section of the BIOS setup

Also Disable Firewire (when Firewire enabled tends to make laptop ignore USB devices)

Save BIOS setting and reboot and go into setup F12 and Boot from CD/DVD

Boot Kalway 10.5.2 from DVD

Choose Language

Run Disk utility

Erase Drive, Choose Mac OS extended (journaled)

Name Drive Leopard (or anything without numbers or spaces or Symbols)

Exit Disk Utility when erase is done

Click Continue in Install process

Click Agree on License Screen

Choose the drive to install on

Click Customize

1. Kernel = Choose all the Kernels

2. Graphics = Nvidia GE Force Go

3. Audio = Intel NVidia VIA ATI HDAudiocontroller, NVidiaAC97Audio,REaltek Sigmatel Conexant and sigmatel_9200_inspiron_9400

4. Network = AppleBCM440XEthernet

5. Wireless = IO80211Family, AtherosWirelessAdapter

6. MOBO Chipsets = I selected all

7. Patches = Selected all except:

OLD_SMBIOS_1.0.1

Boot_with_CPUS=1 Flag

and Francais pc Keyboard layout if you want it

Click Done

Click install

Reboot when install is done

Fill out all the Welcome stuff

Then do the Dell Laptop Post Installer

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=97966

Choose:

Power Management

Speedstep Enabler

Battery Meter

Lid Sleep

Apple HDA shutdown Fix

Trackpad Scrolling For Inspiron 9400

Other

Media Key Enabler

And the Dual Core Kernel for 9.2

Then go into Disk Utility

Select your HD and Repair Disk Permissions

Then Reboot

You should then go into system preferences and then Sound and turn on the outputs for Speakers, and turn up volumes and sound should now work.

Then reboot and go back into the BIOS and Turn back on Dual Cores

Then you should have a system where everything works.

I have not figured how to get sleep working so I turned those settings off, if you don't when it goes to sleep it does not come back.

All work fine thank you very much !!

but I have a big problem with ethernet..

I can be about 30minute conected to internet.. After it No CONECTION.. impossible to conect to adium, to load a page... But the conexion apears to be OK in the SYSTEM configuration.. I really not understand !

All work fine thank you very much !!

but I have a big problem with ethernet..

I can be about 30minute conected to internet.. After it No CONECTION.. impossible to conect to adium, to load a page... But the conexion apears to be OK in the SYSTEM configuration.. I really not understand !

Sorry don't know what that would be.

Here is what you should do,

Go into Bios Setup (F2 at boot) and Disable Dual Core in the Performance section of the BIOS setup

Also Disable Firewire (when Firewire enabled tends to make laptop ignore USB devices)

.....snip

Then Reboot

You should then go into system preferences and then Sound and turn on the outputs for Speakers, and turn up volumes and sound should now work.

Then reboot and go back into the BIOS and Turn back on Dual Cores

Then you should have a system where everything works.

nice, very helpful post for many I am sure. thanks for taking the time and going through this step by step.

I have a big problem with ethernet..

I'm afraid this is a known issue with the BCM440x. My "workaround" has been to always use wireless. (Not an optimal solution, I know.)

Any idea how to get Firewire working?

Is it working on yours?

I don't have firewire, sorry

Well its helpful to know its a known issue so we dont have to wonder whether its a hardware failure.

Thanks!

NYC Coyote reported on this also here. Read the follow-up posts below his as well. The problem occurred sometime after 10.5.2. Ethernet worked before and with new releases has problems staying connected. I only use wireless as well. In fact, I don't even see my ethernet anymore since 10.5.2 and later.