[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

it's not about hacking here, it is just bad report from dell.

also I've instalated 2x2G 667Mhz, corsair memory module and it's working, but with limitation.

If u go in bios u will see memory installed 4097MB and available 3327MB :) ....I think is dell restriction, why I said this, because my mother board chipset is Intel i945PM and on Intel website it seems this chpset supports max 4GB memory...

so if u have 945 chipset from intel also will work on your "toy" :D

later edit. . .

but the os seems to see all memory installed, but it works with just 3,325GB(available)

good lock!!

already running this with 4gb for a while now. both vista and osx see 4gb and I understand that bios says it will only make 3.3gb available. great boost after upgrade and glad I saw the posts here.

^Man I want your T7200. I'm sitting on a T2400 over here.

do yourself a favor and upgrade to a T7200. I had the same cpu you have and can't tell you how much better it is to have a c2d. I got mine for a decent price on ebay and there are instructions on the net how to change the cpu.

holy {censored}, when I installed the memory it didn't boot at all, just a bunch of blinking lights and nothing. I tried all kinds of combinations with new set and old set. nothing worked. I then installed only one of the new modules. system booted fine. I figured it doesn't work above 2Gb. then I added the second module and the system finally posted with an error that system memory changed. Still nothing happened after that. I rebooted a few times and all of a sudden it would allow me to hit F1 to continue. Since then the system boots fine with all 4Gb recognized (Vista 64).

wow, thank you so much for this tip sccarlso, now you are my hero :(. Not sure how to explain the above behavior, but in the end I don't care - it's working great. btw. I got the more expensive ram with 4-4-4-12 timing (supposed to be a little better than latency 5). Of course right after I bought that they had the same deal back that you got.

Just installed same 4Gb memory on my 9400. Everything runs fine at first boot, just need to press f1 after bios detected memory changes. Leopard is still stable as well, that's nice. Thanks for the tip and especially to you :(

screenqp0.th.png

Use this: IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext.zip (works with SD cards only)

Works well, thanks!! Who wrote this driver?

I've got something to add for those who are out buying GeForce Go 7300s, as I've been doling out information about that. When you guys do the swap make sure to be careful to ground the heatsink really well on the case. My GeForce's heatsink came a little bent and it wasn't touching all the way, so like an hour in it overheated and I had to tear it apart and adjust it.

@sonotone: Could you share what kind of SD memory you have? because I tried this kext too and it seemed to detect the reader but not my SD card (Sandisk 256m).. :(

It's a SanDisk Ultra II, 2Gb.

Did you install the kext attached by chrysaor? The one from the project page may not works on our dells.

Thanks sonotone...

I found my problem..

it wasnt the kext but my card reader itself had a weird problem...

I have to push SD card all the way into the slot and hold the card like that.. as soon as i release it

it stops working :P

I think I havent used it for too long since this driver came out recently

Anyways I confirmed that this kext works!

Does anyone with an e1505/6400 and GeForce Go 7300 have VGA-out working? The internal screen works beautifully with Natit, QE/CI enabled, but I haven't been able to connect an external monitor. I tried various things, changing my NVCAP and such. I know you're supposed to be able to dump your video BIOS to get the correct NVCAP, but I don't know how to do that. Can anyone help me?

Also, I've noticed a strange issue with the ethernet. When I'm using wireless it'll be just fine, but when I use the wired ethernet, my internet will cruise around at the correct speed for about an hour, then it'll slowly cap itself at like 60kbps, then eventually stop working altogether until I restart the machine. Any ideas?

Also, I've noticed a strange issue with the ethernet. When I'm using wireless it'll be just fine, but when I use the wired ethernet, my internet will cruise around at the correct speed for about an hour, then it'll slowly cap itself at like 60kbps, then eventually stop working altogether until I restart the machine. Any ideas?

that's a known issue for many and I have not seen a definite fix for it yet.

that's a known issue for many and I have not seen a definite fix for it yet.

Funny you should say that because last night I did find a complete fix for it.

http://foro.applesana.es/27976-post1.html

This spanish site has the IONetworkingFamily.kext you need to fix the ethernet problem. Just remove the one you have, load the new kext, repair permissions, and it should fix it for you. I recommend not using the new IOPCIFamily.kext in there, because when I did all it did was break my Sigmatel 9200.

Funny you should say that because last night I did find a complete fix for it.

http://foro.applesana.es/27976-post1.html

This spanish site has the IONetworkingFamily.kext you need to fix the ethernet problem. Just remove the one you have, load the new kext, repair permissions, and it should fix it for you. I recommend not using the new IOPCIFamily.kext in there, because when I did all it did was break my Sigmatel 9200.

cool, will try that. any idea where that kext came from? It seems more than a year old from the post date. I wonder if this is already in sonotone's patcher? I don't know much spanish...

Actually don't bother. I guess I spoke too soon. It's weird though because it took longer for it to kick out using this kext, but it still does. I guess there isn't quite a fix yet.

thanks for letting me know. I was about to give this a try. it's ok for me without that since I use wireless. maybe it's fixed in 10.5.6 or future upgrades. waiting for a new voodoo kernel before I upgrade to 10.5.6 though. too many issues reported after upgrade by others so far.

I have Dell 6400 working with iAtkos 5i. (Leo 10.5.5)

I am a newbie and I have problems..

1. I read almost 50 pages from this topic, and i saw that I cant use native resolution with X1400? Is it right?

2. When I enable dual core support from bios, computer freezing at the first white apple screen. I didnt install the Dell after installation pack. Is this a solution?

3. Wireless network doesn't connect automatically everytime. Is there a solution for that? I dont want to click on the wireless icon and connect..

I have two hard disks, one for mac and one for xp. So i dont need to have a perfect hackintosh. I only want to solve problems above.

I am from Turkey so it is hard to find go 7300 here..

System is: Dell 6400 / T5600 / ATI X1400 / Dell 1390 Wireless / Stac9200 vs..

I have Dell 6400 working with iAtkos 5i. (Leo 10.5.5)

I am a newbie and I have problems..

1. I read almost 50 pages from this topic, and i saw that I cant use native resolution with X1400? Is it right?

2. When I enable dual core support from bios, computer freezing at the first white apple screen. I didnt install the Dell after installation pack. Is this a solution?

3. Wireless network doesn't connect automatically everytime. Is there a solution for that? I dont want to click on the wireless icon and connect..

I have two hard disks, one for mac and one for xp. So i dont need to have a perfect hackintosh. I only want to solve problems above.

I am from Turkey so it is hard to find go 7300 here..

System is: Dell 6400 / T5600 / ATI X1400 / Dell 1390 Wireless / Stac9200 vs..

1. That's right. I had X1300, same problems. There is no solution so far for those cards, and there probably won't be. Cross your fingers though, I may be wrong.

2. Do the Dell Post Installer and install the 10.5.5 dual-core kernel. Only after you do that can you turn dual-core back on in the bios and it'll work peachy.

3. Don't know what to tell you there, mine connects automatically, but when I first connected to the network there was a check box for that. I would go back in and look at your preferences for that network

Thanks for answering. I will try sonotone's installer.

Its too bad that we cant change our resolutions at least.

My network is computer to computer, maybe this is the problem.

1. That's right. I had X1300, same problems. There is no solution so far for those cards, and there probably won't be. Cross your fingers though, I may be wrong.

Thanks for answering. I will try sonotone's installer.

Its too bad that we cant change our resolutions at least.

My network is computer to computer, maybe this is the problem.

As for your video

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-E1505-6400-nVidia...93%3A1|294%3A50

That guy ships worldwide, shipping to Turkey will cost you 25 USD. That'd make it a little more expensive than you probably care for, but if you want good video, it's the way to go. Then you'll have QE/CI + native res with Natit, then you can struggle to get VGA and TV out like me :)

To start off.

Kalyway 10.5.2 dvd.

Dell E1505

1.6ghz core duo (not core2duo)

1gb ram

ati x1300

1390 wifi

120gb toshiba hdd

I have tried multiple kernels, with and without the cpus=1 flag.

Without the cpus=1 flag, it goes into a reboot cycle, where it gets to the apple load up screen, then reboots, and repeats endlessly.

With the cpus=1 flag, it sits there at the apple boot screen a little bit longer, like it is going to boot. Then i get a screen with vertical black and white lines for a few seconds, and then a blank black screen, which will just sit there. Tried booting with and without the dvd in tray.

I'm stumped. All last night i have been downloading the 10.5.5 iatkos dvd because it was the one with the most seeds, and still has not finished downloading.

As soon as i get the iatkos dvd downloaded i'm burning it and popping that in my laptop to see what that can do.

Please help if possible. Thanks.

(ATM): I just finished installing XP again. formatted hdd in this way: c: is 45gb, d: is 45gb, and e: is about 20gb.

i will be carrying the kalyway disk with me tonight, along with my xp disk, and my iatkos disk once i finish downloading it.

Please help if possible. Thanks.