[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

To cores working perfectly! Also just to throw an update out there, I also got my speedstep functioning via Coolbook. The $10 license fee is worth the cold laptop let me tell you.

Now if we someone can get headphone/microphone working properly, I can get my voice-chat back in World of Warcraft and never, ever go back to windows again. :D

I've installed and tested coolbook, and although it detects the steps available for the cpu, i've yet to see the cpu actually step when loads are placed on it.

Can you confirm that it's stepping w/ some screenshots? Thanks

cos

I'll try to get some shots in soon. I can say now though that it runs much cooler. Idles at about 49 degrees and it used to idle at nearly 60 or more before I installed coolbook! It wasn't getting that hot until the dual core patch was applied which seemed to make the heat go through the roof and cause the system to slow down after some time. This was highly noticeable while gaming but is remedied now.

I'll post some shots when I'm not playing World of Warcraft and give it a chance to cool back down. Lol!

I'll try to get some shots in soon. I can say now though that it runs much cooler. Idles at about 49 degrees and it used to idle at nearly 60 or more before I installed coolbook! It wasn't getting that hot until the dual core patch was applied which seemed to make the heat go through the roof and cause the system to slow down after some time. This was highly noticeable while gaming but is remedied now.

I'll post some shots when I'm not playing World of Warcraft and give it a chance to cool back down. Lol!

I'd give the fan and CPU a good clean, then apply some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste instead of the {censored} that Dell uses.

Your overheating problems will go away after that ;)

Works like a treat i had to reinstall again coolbook though cause was not throttling properly .

now with undervolt temperature are ok if I leave default with 2cores temperature go up.

I only notice a third increase on geekbench scores.......

thanks to oui to make this possible for us dell users ;)

What a difference in benchmarks score between xp and osx

much better in osx

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/similar/70510/5

Ps with 2 cores temperature is up 3-4 degrees fans are always on

I'd give the fan and CPU a good clean, then apply some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste instead of the {censored} that Dell uses.

Your overheating problems will go away after that :)

Well obviously that but I mean, without coolbook it runs hot. With it runs nice and cool. And yeah, I use Arctic Silver 5 for practically everything.

hmm, so this is a replacement for coolbook, I take it. will try this tomorrow. maybe saving me some 10 bucks. thanks for the link

I tried that ages ago did not work for me.

let me know if you have any luck.

windows version works :)

Just found this little slice of awesomeness:

http://potatosaladx.blogspot.com/search/label/I8kfan

i tried this a week ago, and doesn't work. xD

EDIT: i tried 0.1 version and works.. and i tried again 0.2 version with dual fan, and works but.. the kext doesn't load at startup, when restart the system , u must go to terminal and type kexload -t /system/library/extensions/i8kfan.kext , next run i8kfanGUI.

hey all, i've been outta this whole shindig for awhile, but recently reinstalled using kalyway.

everythings working fairly well. have yet to try the dual core kernel though.

anyway i tried the new audio package by tbcarey on a 10.5.2 install, and i can report that the hardware picks up

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x102801BD

Audio ID: 12

Available Devices:

S/P-DIF Out:

Connection: RCA

Headphone:

Connection: 1/8 inch Jack

Speaker:

Connection: Internal

Microphone:

Connection: 1/8 inch Jack

but no sound from speakers. and at the moment i can't test head phones b/c i don't have any with me at the moment.

update later.

EDIT: Sound works with Headphones. This package at least works this much with 10.5.2 so you don't have to upgrade to use it.

i tried this a week ago, and doesn't work. xD

EDIT: i tried 0.1 version and works.. and i tried again 0.2 version with dual fan, and works but.. the kext doesn't load at startup, when restart the system , u must go to terminal and type kexload -t /system/library/extensions/i8kfan.kext , next run i8kfanGUI.

Actually, the most recent post in the thread here has some pretty good tips of how to get it running so that the kext and the application loads in the background. Once that's done, it does work.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=838828

hey all, i've been outta this whole shindig for awhile, but recently reinstalled using kalyway.

everythings working fairly well. have yet to try the dual core kernel though.

anyway i tried the new audio package by tbcarey on a 10.5.2 install, and i can report that the hardware picks up

but no sound from speakers. and at the moment i can't test head phones b/c i don't have any with me at the moment.

update later.

EDIT: Sound works with Headphones. This package at least works this much with 10.5.2 so you don't have to upgrade to use it.

question, which system do you have? I wasn't able to get this to work on my E1505. for now I have no mute of speakers when headphones are plugged in. Ultimately, the goal is to get this to work on the latest system though.

question, which system do you have? I wasn't able to get this to work on my E1505. for now I have no mute of speakers when headphones are plugged in. Ultimately, the goal is to get this to work on the latest system though.

I also have an E1505. Booting Leopard from a portable HDD.

I also used the taruga technique for sound way back, and had the sound with no mute during headphones.

I don't really know how to help out, though I do get random crashes on boot, and just now i got this error.

sound assertion "0 == entry failed in "AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 2363
sound assertion "0 == entry failed in "AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 2396

then it just repeated the 2nd line for awhile and stopped and froze

maybe thats a lead, or maybe its just my install.

also i have an idea. don't know if its related at all, but there is a kext on kalyway for Intel VIA NVIDA ATI HD Audio or somemthing like that, and since sound is detected as Intel High Definition Audio, i am wondering if installing said kext would help get sound through speakers???

Well, finaly i have i8kfanGUI without passw at login and etc. These are the steps.

First Install I8KFanGUI0.2.dmg(following the instructions) and add it to startup items.

second, in terminal.

chown root:admin /Applications/I8kfanGUI.app/Contents/MacOS/I8kfanGUI 
chmod 4755 /Applications/I8kfanGUI.app/Contents/MacOS/I8kfanGUI 

third, do a app(or script executable), with script editor. and add to startup items(attached below)

but, u must have edit sudoers ,this eliminates the need to input the password for load the kext.

In terminal:

Sudo su "passwd"
visudo

(here push 2 times enter , and press E for edit)

On visudo

Press I for insert and edit the file.

and find this line:

# User privilege specification
root    ALL=(ALL) ALL
%admin  ALL=(ALL) ALL

change the %admin line to: %admin ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

press ESC and type

:w! /etc/sudoers

, and close the terminal.

to verify it, open ur terminal again, type sudo su and it mustn't ask for ur passwd.

to remove i8kFanGUI from the dock at startup Use Dock Dodger.

reboot and test.

pd: i'm a n00b in this, sorry if made a mistake :thumbsup_anim: .

i8kext.app.zip

I all !!

I found why my USB doesn't work after update my kernel with patched kernel !!

When I install my new kernel, info.plist in System.kext does not update !! And whereas I have 9.2.0 Kernel, system.kext is always in 9.2.2.

When I change value, my laptop doesn't boot !!

Any idea ?? I think I change bad value, I join you file screenshot

I try to re-upgrade my 5.3 to had 9.3 vanilla kernel and I hope that after my USB works fine !!

EDIT : Finally I resolve my problem. I find original system.kext in AppleComboUpdate with pacifist and after install it with Kext helper, my US works fine

Thanks all for your Help !

post-186087-1217521186_thumb.png

I am not sure if this is the best place to post this but I am excited! I finally got my dell inspiron e1405 to work with Kalyway 10.5.1. No wireless at this point because I have the 3945ABG card but got my sigmatel sound card to work finally. I took a lot of research thru this wonderful forum but finally got it to work.

Thank you so much everyone!!!

Well, finaly i have i8kfanGUI without passw at login and etc. These are the steps.

hey josftx.. I just tried your method and it worked but I only can control my 1st fan..

It monitors 2nd fan though.. just I cannot control it..

Does yours can control both fans?

Good to hear you guys finally got both cores working. Saw the post with the fix in another thread. Kinda ironic, because I just sold my M1710 last week and I'm now using an M1730. On a positive note, I'm running 10.5.4 on it and as of a few nights ago I have pretty much everything working on it including HDD, BD-ROM/DVD-RW, full 4GB ram, sound, integrated WiFi, Bluetooth, dual 8800 GTX 1024MB full CI/QE, integrated webcam and the Logitech LCD even initializes.

hey josftx.. I just tried your method and it worked but I only can control my 1st fan..

It monitors 2nd fan though.. just I cannot control it..

Does yours can control both fans?

mi 2nd fan works sometimes, but I think the program's not doing the job right, like the creator says: "My knowledge of writing IOKit drivers for Mac OS X is very limited and it would be greatly appreciated if someone with more experience would help me out with cleaning them up."

but someone write a .diff files to patch them. i don't know how it works with patched kexts.

Good to hear you guys finally got both cores working. Saw the post with the fix in another thread. Kinda ironic, because I just sold my M1710 last week and I'm now using an M1730. On a positive note, I'm running 10.5.4 on it and as of a few nights ago I have pretty much everything working on it including HDD, BD-ROM/DVD-RW, full 4GB ram, sound, integrated WiFi, Bluetooth, dual 8800 GTX 1024MB full CI/QE, integrated webcam and the Logitech LCD even initializes.

wow, nice (freaking crazy nice) notebook. looks like you totally maxed out the system specs on this (sth like 4.5k?). I envy you!!

Hehe thanks, yeah she's a beast. Slowed my motorcycle down a bit switching from the M1710 though (jk). I was actually quite surprised that of all things, the webcam worked right off the bat during 10.5.4 install. The install wanted me to take a photo of my ugly self for my profile icon. Blech!!

On a side note, if anyone else with the M1730 needs any assistance with respect to the install, just toss a post here. Better than PMs so I don't get dupe questions.