[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

Sup guys. I tried this a while back but want to give it a shot again. Last time, my wireless would work on and off, and my screen resolution was stuck at being low, which was my biggest issue. Since then, i got a different GPU, so i'll have to see.

I have a M1710

T2500

Quadro FX3500 (same as a 7950GTX)

Wish me luck :)

Hello, sorry, can't find is Wireless 1395 Internal card supported as well as 1390? I am changing my 3945 card )) (have already changed my ATI X1300 to nVidia 7300 on my E1505, works much better )))

Thank you in advance.

I am not sure if this is the best place to post this but I am excited! I finally got my dell inspiron e1405 to work with Kalyway 10.5.1. No wireless at this point because I have the 3945ABG card but got my sigmatel sound card to work finally. I took a lot of research thru this wonderful forum but finally got it to work.

Thank you so much everyone!!!

if you look here it's listed under network on the right side

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=97966

Hello, sorry, can't find is Wireless 1395 Internal card supported as well as 1390? I am changing my 3945 card )) (have already changed my ATI X1300 to nVidia 7300 on my E1505, works much better )))

Thank you in advance.

I don't think so, there's some posts on it already:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=113680

There's a link in that thread that might go to a potential fix. Also the Dell Laptops post-installer seems to have a driver in it as well:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=97966

My recommendation is splurge and get yourself the Dell Wireless 1505 card as that should work flawlessly, although you could pick up a 1390 or a 1490 for $10-$15 bucks on ebay.

Hi..

I am installing retail leopard(I made it in a single layer) with boot-132..

but I am having problems

I used the basic kexts plus dsmos.kext

and when I install leopard, I do not have keboard and touchpad support

so I used my usb mouse but when it comes to the point that install partition selection, I cannot choose

any of my partitions.. it says that I need to erase the partition I want to install to, even if I already

have done that...

so...

Could Anybody managed to install in 9400 or similar one tell me which kexts are added?

Thank you

Well, finaly i have i8kfanGUI without passw at login and etc. These are the steps....

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I was interested in trying this fan control until I read the Readme in the I8kfanGUI package, which says to use it with CPUs that don't have speedstepping. It also says to make sure that AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is loaded, and I don't even have that kext. I have a steppable core duo 1.6 and I'm running the vanilla kernel and waiting for a new speedstep kext to be worked out (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=119370). Should I even be looking at this fan control, and should I install the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, or would that be a mistake? TIA

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I was interested in trying this fan control until I read the Readme in the I8kfanGUI package, which says to use it with CPUs that don't have speedstepping. It also says to make sure that AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is loaded, and I don't even have that kext. I have a steppable core duo 1.6 and I'm running the vanilla kernel and waiting for a new speedstep kext to be worked out (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=119370). Should I even be looking at this fan control, and should I install the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, or would that be a mistake? TIA

I don't have the kext and it runs fine for me. Just make sure to follow some of the other instructions earlier to load the kext at startup and hide the application and you should be fine.

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext doesn't matter i guess, because i8kfan.kext do all the job(Fan Control). anddd for the speedstep.app and IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext that u linked, i didn't know of that, but with this, Speedstep works :) thanks for the link :) .

mi 2nd fan works sometimes, but I think the program's not doing the job right, like the creator says: "My knowledge of writing IOKit drivers for Mac OS X is very limited and it would be greatly appreciated if someone with more experience would help me out with cleaning them up."

but someone write a .diff files to patch them. i don't know how it works with patched kexts.

Hi I tried but no luck kext wont load at startup and when i type the command in terminal to load it it says-bash: kexload: command not found

althought i installed kext with kexthelper.......

any ideas??????

Can you give a detail of your install method????

Hi I tried but no luck kext wont load at startup and when i type the command in terminal to load it it says-bash: kexload: command not found

althought i installed kext with kexthelper.......

any ideas??????

Can you give a detail of your install method????

kextload , kexload is not a command

kextload , kexload is not a command

Hi it was a misspell anyway will only let me do it If I log in as root otherwise it wont.

Any suggestions???

If it easy for you you can pm in spanish......

Hi it was a misspell anyway will only let me do it If I log in as root otherwise it wont.

Any suggestions???

If it easy for you you can pm in spanish......

Kextload works only as a root. anyway the script do it automacally(previously u must edit sudoers).

the script do this .. "sudo kextload -t /system/library/extensions/i8kfan.kext"

for the script works u must follow the instructions on i8kfan readme.

1. Open up a Terminal window and try loading I8kfan.kext:

sudo chown -R root:wheel I8kfan.kext

sudo kextload -v I8kfan.kext

2. If it loaded, run "sysctl i8k". You should see this:

i8k.power_status: 1

i8k.cpu_temp: 40

i8k.bios_version: -1

i8k.fan0_speed: 111180

i8k.fan1_speed: -1

i8k.fan0_status: 1

i8k.fan1_status: -1

Or something like that.

If not, then your system probably isn't supported due

to my poor coding.

3. If everything has worked thus far, move the extension

into the /System/Library/Extensions folder:

sudo mv I8kfan.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/I8kfan.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/I8kfan.kext

You may also want to repair permissions using Disk Utility.

Hi fellow hackers :(

First of all thanks to all people of this forum who make it possible to use OSX on my Inspiron 6400!

Everything is working, my trackpad is just working too good; it's moving far too fast!

I tried everything but after using the dell package and installing all kext files the tracking speed is far too fast..

Is there any solution for this problem (f.e. a terminal code for lowering the standard speed?)?

Many thanks in advange!!

M1530 - BLUETOOTH / WIFI NOT WORKING

Hi all,

Currently I am running a stable on 10.5.4, but I have a few loose ends I would like to tie up. Maybe someone here can help?

1) I am on the internet using a TP-Link wifi dongle, since as far as I know the Intel 3945abg wireless is still not supported? Can I just get a confirmation?

2) My bluetooth is not running OR detected. In BIOS I have this enabled, but OSX does not see it at all. Help?

I am suspecting some of my issues have to do with the hardware wifi/bluetooth switch on my laptop...if there is a working kext for the Intel 3945 I doubt it would even work because the switch itself doesnt seem to work. Back when I was running Vista, if I moved the switch i would get little led icons on my laptop HUD showing (BT) or (WiFi)...but nothing now.

I was thinking the same yesterday. speaker mute with headphones and it's perfect.

Hey, I just tried tbcarey's .kext for my sound. And, wow, mute works, headphones work, mic works. Speakers as has been said are not working,

BUT, what I notices is if i reload my, mac os with headphones plugged into jack, then I get sound on my speakers and headphones. Weird. Just wanted to write, if it helps to figure out the problem.

(another interesting fact, that my midi settings correctly recognise when i plug in head phones and switcj from "internal speakers" settings to "headphones settings"

Hey guys,

This is my first attempt at installing OSX on my Dell Inspiron 6400.

I would really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

Specs are:

Core 2 Duo 1.66 Ghz

ATI x1400

160 GB HD

2Gb RAM

Vista x64 SP1

So anyways, I have the Kalyway 10.5.2 disc, I shrunk my HD to have 50GB of unallocated space as one guide said. But when I restart and boot from the DVD, I press F8, and do -v ... it just gets to the second line saying HFS something, and the thingy just keeps spinning, I thought I'd let it do it's thing, 15 mins later I came back and it's still at the same point. So I can't even boot into the Leopard installation. I'm pretty sure that once I get passed this I would be alright to figure out the rest.

Any help would be great! :)

Just noticed this. I've got an Intel T2500 Core Duo. In system profiler and about this mac, it shows up as 1 GHz, 2 cores (now that dual core is working). FSB speed is 667 MHz. Is there something wrong here? It's supposed to be 2 GHz.

Since installing with Kalyway 10.5.2, whenever I try to send packets I get a loopback ip. Occasionally I get an actually IP until I try to send and receive packets.

It was working previously. And from reading that statement on the front page, its apparently not just me.

When I tried using the older ionetworking (which I did a few days ago) I lost my wireless. Didn't even see that I had an airport (which comes up on its own - its a dell 1500)

You need to copy both old kexts IONetworkingFamily.kext and IO80211Family.kext, changing that ethernet and wifi should work.

Just noticed this. I've got an Intel T2500 Core Duo. In system profiler and about this mac, it shows up as 1 GHz, 2 cores (now that dual core is working). FSB speed is 667 MHz. Is there something wrong here? It's supposed to be 2 GHz.
My 6400 does the same type of thing. Sometimes, it is listed as 800 mhz, and other times it is listed as 1.6 ghz. I assume that this is speedstep trying to save power.

BTW, I am running the dual core 9.2 kernel with pc efi and 10.5.2. Everything is working phenomenally. I actually tested my computer against a real macbook, and my system is faster in most areas! Thanks to everyone, especially to this guide's author.

I just installed the gma 950 driver from version 1.0 of the sonotone dell laptop installer. I'm running 10.5.2 on an inspiron e1505/6400 with retail vanilla dual core kernel 9.2. A very funny thing happens when I boot up. Most times that I boot up, everything will be fine until the screen for a split second switches from the apple logo to blue, and then the screen shuts off and becomes black . I can hear audio when I adjust the volume, and the computer is reponsive, except for the screen. When I plug in my external monitor, there are vertical lines of many colors, mainly blue on the external screen, but my laptop's screen remains black. After holding down the power button to reset the computer, and unplugging the display, I reboot the computer and everything then works perfectly fine, with no artifacts or mouse tearing at all, even with MS Office and Firefox. Before, with the tiger appleintegratedframebuffer.kext, there was always graphical tearing and artifacts.

If it helps, I installed the media keys enabler, the sigmatel 9200 support, Broadcom 440x, battery meter, lid sleep, and the 9400 trackpad scrolling (thought that this was close enough to my 6400). Is there a problem with lid sleep? Every time that I wake the computer from sleep, there is a kernel panic (Please restart your computer).

I'm thinking of reinstalling from scratch, but that is so inconvenient. Please help if you can.

My 6400 does the same type of thing. Sometimes, it is listed as 800 mhz, and other times it is listed as 1.6 ghz. I assume that this is speedstep trying to save power.

BTW, I am running the dual core 9.2 kernel with pc efi and 10.5.2. Everything is working phenomenally. I actually tested my computer against a real macbook, and my system is faster in most areas! Thanks to everyone, especially to this guide's author.

Hi it happens to me only when i use dual core kernel otherwise show normal cpu.

I think it modded kernel for 2cores......

I just installed the gma 950 driver from version 1.0 of the sonotone dell laptop installer. I'm running 10.5.2 on an inspiron e1505/6400 with retail vanilla dual core kernel 9.2. A very funny thing happens when I boot up. Most times that I boot up, everything will be fine until the screen for a split second switches from the apple logo to blue, and then the screen shuts off and becomes black . I can hear audio when I adjust the volume, and the computer is reponsive, except for the screen. When I plug in my external monitor, there are vertical lines of many colors, mainly blue on the external screen, but my laptop's screen remains black. After holding down the power button to reset the computer, and unplugging the display, I reboot the computer and everything then works perfectly fine, with no artifacts or mouse tearing at all, even with MS Office and Firefox. Before, with the tiger appleintegratedframebuffer.kext, there was always graphical tearing and artifacts.

If it helps, I installed the media keys enabler, the sigmatel 9200 support, Broadcom 440x, battery meter, lid sleep, and the 9400 trackpad scrolling (thought that this was close enough to my 6400). Is there a problem with lid sleep? Every time that I wake the computer from sleep, there is a kernel panic (Please restart your computer).

I'm thinking of reinstalling from scratch, but that is so inconvenient. Please help if you can.

gma950 on Dell Inspiron without mouse artifacts has been solved for a couple weeks now. See some posts above. The problem is that the display boots in sleep mode (hence it turns black and everything seems to work otherwise). if you enable a script that wakes the display up from sleep or you enable sleep activation when moving mouse into corner of display you can wake it up as well. There is a script that wakes up the display from sleep on boot as well (not sure where it is at the moment).

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...109017&hl=#

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=768365