[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

hi everyone, i have an inspiron 640m. running leopard 10.5.4 started from kalyway 10.5.2 then update to 10.5.4. Now, everything is running smoothly but, i have 2 problems.

1) Sound works great, except for when i plug in headphones. when headphones go into the headphone jack the sound just stops working. when i take them out speakers work. so basically speakers work headphone jack doesnt.

2)A few mouse tears on office 2008 and stuff like that. kind of minor.

im more worried about the headphones because i actually want to use this mac as a beat maker. if anyone has a solution please help me.

Thanks in advance!

1) Sound works great, except for when i plug in headphones. when headphones go into the headphone jack the sound just stops working. when i take them out speakers work. so basically speakers work headphone jack doesnt.

Did you try jaysonz kext? http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;start=1700# ?

Or what did u try?

i tried that applehda.kext, but after that my sound just messes up entirely, forcing me to reinstall. i may not be properly installing it, so ill tell you what i did. First, i backed up my original applehda.kext and then deleted it. after that i put jaysonz applehda.kext in. i rebooted and it just said. "Applehda.kext is not compatible or something like that. and then when i put the original back in same error comes back. then i have to reinstall :D

i tried that applehda.kext, but after that my sound just messes up entirely, forcing me to reinstall. i may not be properly installing it, so ill tell you what i did. First, i backed up my original applehda.kext and then deleted it. after that i put jaysonz applehda.kext in. i rebooted and it just said. "Applehda.kext is not compatible or something like that. and then when i put the original back in same error comes back. then i have to reinstall :)

Looks like you didn't fix permissions.)))

kill4kam23

after replacing the kext, open applications > utilities > disk utility

now select your hard drive partition from the left hand side and then then click on repair disk permissions

once that is done restart your computer

ps. I just upgraded to dell 1505 wireless N draft, working out of the box like a charm

bought it from dell canada for $30 cdn, ebay was coming out more expensive.

hey you guys i have manage to fix tbcarey's sound kext. the problems was that the speakers doesnt work only headphone works

now it fixed and everything works :)

here the kext.

Bit late with this ... but I would also like to say thanks. Works perfectly here on Inspiron 640m, iatkos 10.5.4 + dual core fix. Now to get that trackpad working.

I tried sonotone's dell installer to fix sigmatel 9200 problems. It worked, but not totally. Now the speakers mute thing works, but i still have no mic input, and i really need it. I cheked the Audio MIDI config and it was 2ch-16bit, 44000,0Hz...

Anyone got the mic input working?

Thanks!

Hello,

I have 6400 and everything works fine with iDeneb 10.5.4 install. The main concern I have is that the screen resolution is only 1024X768 and those tool bar at bottom does not "grow" when does the mouse over like the real MacBook. I am sure this is the video card issue since Vista on my 6400 is also max at 1024X768.

Anyone knows if I can upgrade the video card on 6400 to have higher resolution? And, how do one makes the tool bar "grow"?

What video card should I get. Please help. Thank you.

Hello,

I have 6400 and everything works fine with iDeneb 10.5.4 install. The main concern I have is that the screen resolution is only 1024X768 and those tool bar at bottom does not "grow" when does the mouse over like the real MacBook. I am sure this is the video card issue since Vista on my 6400 is also max at 1024X768.

Anyone knows if I can upgrade the video card on 6400 to have higher resolution? And, how do one makes the tool bar "grow"?

What video card should I get. Please help. Thank you.

it's pretty unlikely that you have graphics below 1280x800. That is standard on 6400s. You either have a gma950 (onboard) or nvidia go 7300 or ati.

you should see what graphics card you have when you boot. the fact that your Vista is not recognizing the correct resolution is odd. are you sure you have the latest graphic driver installed under Vista?

upgrading your video card depends on whether you have an onboard card (intel) or a dedicated card (nvidia/ati). in the first case you are out of luck with upgrading. I have been there myself. The only way to upgrade would be to get a complete new motherboard. in the latter case you can switch between either nvidia or ati. I think people are most successful with the nvidia option.

it's pretty unlikely that you have graphics below 1280x800. That is standard on 6400s. You either have a gma950 (onboard) or nvidia go 7300 or ati.

you should see what graphics card you have when you boot. the fact that your Vista is not recognizing the correct resolution is odd. are you sure you have the latest graphic driver installed under Vista?

upgrading your video card depends on whether you have an onboard card (intel) or a dedicated card (nvidia/ati). in the first case you are out of luck with upgrading. I have been there myself. The only way to upgrade would be to get a complete new motherboard. in the latter case you can switch between either nvidia or ati. I think people are most successful with the nvidia option.

Most likely I have the Intel onboard video card. That's too bad... well, a good excuse to buy a new laptop.

So if I have a laptop with nVidia video card, the "grow" toolbar on mouse over will just work or do I need to do anything to make it work?

hi guys..

i've got an Inspiron 6400 with T7200, 1gb ram and x1400..

some months ago i installed succesfully kalyway 10.5.1 and it almost worked.. later i decided to delete out the hackint0sh partition because i couldn't make dual boot working..

in these days i downloaded the newest kalyway and tried to reinstall osx..

the installation went fine.. setted bios flags (eg. dual core disabled)

installation process completed..

dual boot working.. (i'm using windows partition right now).. but.. there's a small problem.. after loading kernel and everything needed, black and white stripes appears and after this, the screen goes black and nothing happen..

i tried to reinstall many times by selecting or deselecting various kernel and drivers but i always have the same problem..

what is the problem???????!

maybe the partitioning? i have a primary partition ntfs.. a logical and into this logical two extended.. another ntfs and the hfs one.

i have also tried to install osx onto a primary partition in an external HDD and booted from it but i've got the same problem..

what can i do??

does someboby have got the same problem? thanks..

My broadcom 440x is having weird issues. I have OSX Kalyway 10.5.2 with the 10.5.3 update running on my Dell 9400 and it boots fine and everything is great. As soon as I do something like run Steam or download a large file at a fast rate it starts to get choppy and in about 1-2 minutes the connection will drop and I have to reboot before it works.

I've installed the 440x drivers from the Dell Post installer 1.31 but it had the same issues out of the box as well. Has anyone else had these issues and if so what's the fix? I searched but couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

-Shawn

Hello guys,

So I finally am diving into the OSX86 world. I have been reading and reading and reading throughout this whole forum and I don't think I will ever find my answers unless I ask. Here are the specs for my Dell.

E1505

2GB RAM

T7400 2.17GHZ

Sigmatel 9200 SoundCard

ATI X1400

WSXGA+ 1680x1050

Some tidbits...

I installed with Kalaway 10.5.2

Vanilla Kernal

Able to get 1400X1050 with modifying the kext (instructions were from the 1st page of this post)

I get black bars on the sides. (I turned off LCD Panel Expansion in BIOS)

Here are my questions...

1. Is it possible to get my native resolution? or nobody is able to do that yet?

2. How can I get my sound to work?

3. How can I connect to an external monitor? (I plug a VGA cable into my laptop and nothing happens. I have a MacBook and when I plug in an external monitor it immediately knows I connected it and will extend my screen to the monitor)

4. Can I get both my processors to work? (are both working already even though it says "Number of Processors: 1" in my system profiler)

5. Can I get two-finger scrolling to work?

6. Still no hope for wireless with the Intel Wireless card?

Thanks to everyone that posted tutorials and guides!

Hello guys,

So I finally am diving into the OSX86 world. I have been reading and reading and reading throughout this whole forum and I don't think I will ever find my answers unless I ask. Here are the specs for my Dell.

E1505

2GB RAM

T7400 2.17GHZ

Sigmatel 9200 SoundCard

ATI X1400

WSXGA+ 1680x1050

lol.. am I the only one dell laptop owner that can't make kalyway working?!

E1505 is the same as 6400 and the configuration is pretty similar (intel core2 duo, ati x1400, sigmatel..)

so the matters would be also similar..

any suggestion on how to install?!

edit:

i tried to create a primary partition but even if disk utility erased it, i couldn't be able to use this partition to install leo..

so the only way to proceed is by using an ext partition..

edit 2:finally i get it working with iAtkos! so kalyway was the problem..

lol.. am I the only one dell laptop owner that can't make kalyway working?!

E1505 is the same as 6400 and the configuration is pretty similar (intel core2 duo, ati x1400, sigmatel..)

so the matters would be also similar..

any suggestion on how to install?!

edit:

i tried to create a primary partition but even if disk utility erased it, i couldn't be able to use this partition to install leo..

so the only way to proceed is by using an ext partition..

edit 2:finally i get it working with iAtkos! so kalyway was the problem..

not sure what you are doing. but kalyway is certainly not the problem. many of us have no problems with it. In fact I was able to install both iatkos and kalyway without a problem. good luck with your new install.

not sure what you are doing. but kalyway is certainly not the problem. many of us have no problems with it. In fact I was able to install both iatkos and kalyway without a problem. good luck with your new install.

any advice about installation? eg. partition size, type, flags etc..?

Ugh, I'm dying here trying to figure this one out.

I have an Inspiron 6400/E1505 1.73 dual core/nvidia 7300GO, 4GB RAM. (I had the lousy ATI x1300 card but ditched it since the Nvidia has native resolution support...50 bux on ebay and I swapped it out easily)

Installed with iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5 and it worked perfectly to get going With the ATI card installed, it would fail on first reboot unless you install no video driver except for the GMA950, then you could get it working, but only 1024/768 which looks to be what you're stuck at if you have the ATI X1300/X1400, but it worked and the LAN and wireless functioned OOB. No problem there. But the sound drivers included don't work with the sigmatel 9200 and other bits such as the batt meter and a few other things are funky. But no issue. Used the Dell post installer 1.3 to install sound, the Nvidia inject, batt meter, media button controls and installed the 9.5 dual core kernel. Also installed the safe update support so I've had no problems installing all the updates from Apple in the software update feature which is great! iTunes and Time Capsule work perfectly and I backed up with Time Capsule before making changes from the start so I had backup. Nice feature.

So far, all the basics are working. Full native resolution and acceleration for video, sound, firewire, LAN, wireless, and DVD+-RW support. I had to install the advancedintelspeedstep kext and tweak the info.plist a bit for the speedstep as it was set to autodetect the possible stepping by default and wouldn't detect, so I edited it as recommended by the author and now it's changing in the top bar the speed as I run apps in the four modes from 800mhz to 1733mhz. After installing the dual core kernel, I reenabled dual core support and it seems to work fine with it on now (I did not set the cpu=1 flag on my initial install and the CPU temp and speedstep app show two CPU's.)

My remaining problems are

1. Xbench scores are lousy on CPU. 52 total score, the low score being the CPU which comes up around 56 on average. The video is decent at about 60 frames/sec and disk speed is fine. I have no idea why my CPU score is coming up so slow, my power is set to performance.

2. DVD player initializes fine, but if I put in a DVD it plays, but the video is half cutoff within the play window and if I click any menu I get all green or red on the menu instead of the menu. Then I have to logoff and log back on to have the GUI work properly again.

3. Sleep (seems to be a problem with everyone for a long time so I don't expect a fix). If I select Sleep in the Apple menu, it sleeps perfectly with the flashing green power light, and if I press the power button it comes back from sleep with no problem. But if I let the system sleep on it's own, or if I close the lid, then I can't get anything but a black screen.

The only real problem I'd like to fix is to find out why my Xbench score is so low and try to fix that. The other stuff isn't nearly as important and I could live with neither the DVD or sleep working. But any suggest is welcomed.

I have been looking for a kernel that has dual core support, and speedstep, but I can't seem to find one that indicates both anywhere. I've been to many IRC servers, torrent searches, and forum posts. Can I use the speedstep kernel that doesn't specifically say for use with dual cores or will I get the boot problems people have experienced in the past?

Anyone have a suggestion for how to find out why my Xbench CPU score is so slow? Or why the DVD player app is acting this way? I did enabled open GL to test but it had no effect so I turned it off, Quartz Extreme was enabled by default and hardware accel is enabled in the core. All other graphics are fine, just video playback on DVD has this issue.

I wish someone with a perfect install of 10.5.5 for the Inspiron E1505/6400 with all the drivers and just put all the kext files needed and apps in a zipfile so others could just install the kexts with kexthelper, repair permissions and be good to go!

I'm using the 9.5 kernel for dual core from the Dell Post install 1.3 installer. Is there a better kernel to use with the Inspiron E1505/6400 ????

Thanks in advance for any suggestions for the problems I've listed with CPU scores, DVD playback and sleep.

Also, side note, this thread is two years old. If someone has time on their hands and feels like a kind soul, it sure would be great for someone well experienced to take the iDeneb 10.5.5 (Haven't found other 10.5.5 installers yet) and do a refresh on this guide to get everything working. Lots has changed since 2006 and many things which didn't work then work now (like dual core enabled). Looks like there are a few people who posted who have everything working!

Ugh, I'm dying here trying to figure this one out.

I have been looking for a kernel that has dual core support, and speedstep, but I can't seem to find one that indicates both anywhere. I've been to many IRC servers, torrent searches, and forum posts. Can I use the speedstep kernel that doesn't specifically say for use with dual cores or will I get the boot problems people have experienced in the past?

good you found the correct kernel to get two cores for your CoreDuo. there is no need for another kernel that can do speedstep. if you use SuperHai's kext's and application you have speedstep (provided it's enabled in your bios). I have both cores and speedstep works 100%. you don't even need to use the app. the kext works by itself.

Concerning your xbench marks: Xbench is questionable to me. your CPU is pretty weak to begin with. To get good scores and speed you need a C2D running at 2GHz.

as for an update to this thread --- go for it :(

btw. can you remove your long bootlog please. it makes it almost impossible to read your post and this thread. put it into a box with scroll bars or a link to a text file - much cleaner.

good luck

Cool, I was looking at that link a few days ago but wasn't sure if that would work for me. I'll have to give that a shot.

As for Xbench, a friends 2.0Ghz dual gives 120 scores on Xbench. Hard to believe that .3Ghz difference in a 1.73Ghz dual is going to go from 120 to 55 or so on CPU speed. Something has to be not so right in my config. Will see if things improve with that new speedstep kext.

Thanks for the reply!

If anyone has any idea about the video, I'm open to anything :)

Ah great deceiver, you're a hero.

I removed the intelenhancedspeedstep.kext I was using before and added the one you pointed me to in your previous post.

Surprise! Now it shows the proper 1.73Ghz processors and Xbench now is over 100!

All that is left is to figure out the video and sleep, but I'm running full speed now :P

Thanks for the help!!!

Ah great deceiver, you're a hero.

I removed the intelenhancedspeedstep.kext I was using before and added the one you pointed me to in your previous post.

Surprise! Now it shows the proper 1.73Ghz processors and Xbench now is over 100!

All that is left is to figure out the video and sleep, but I'm running full speed now :P

Thanks for the help!!!

glad you got it to work. as for the sleep you are lucky you can get your notebook to sleep via the menu at least. mine doesn't sleep at all. all I get with the gma950 is lidsleep, which isn't really sleep at all (it just turns the lcd off). btw. how the hack did you install 4Gb of memory? I thought the E1505s only take 2Gb according to Dell specs.

Hello guys,

E1505

2GB RAM

T7400 2.17GHZ

Sigmatel 9200 SoundCard

ATI X1400

WSXGA+ 1680x1050

Some tidbits...

I installed with Kalaway 10.5.2

Vanilla Kernal

Able to get 1400X1050 with modifying the kext (instructions were from the 1st page of this post)

I get black bars on the sides. (I turned off LCD Panel Expansion in BIOS)

Here are my questions...

1. Is it possible to get my native resolution? or nobody is able to do that yet?

2. How can I get my sound to work?

3. How can I connect to an external monitor? (I plug a VGA cable into my laptop and nothing happens. I have a MacBook and when I plug in an external monitor it immediately knows I connected it and will extend my screen to the monitor)

4. Can I get both my processors to work? (are both working already even though it says "Number of Processors: 1" in my system profiler)

5. Can I get two-finger scrolling to work?

6. Still no hope for wireless with the Intel Wireless card?

Thanks to everyone that posted tutorials and guides!

Can i get anybody to answer any of my questions?? Please???